PDA

View Full Version : E-Waste Recycling Laws

Gizmos
1st July 2007, 11:35
new E-Waste Laws (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6250080.stm)
come into effect today

WEEE Directive (nothing to do with a games console)
WEEE Directive (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6253250.stm)

M3chanical_animal
1st July 2007, 11:36
This is great news :)

Gizmos
1st July 2007, 11:39
not sure what the total implications are for people disposing of stuff - but reading it it mentioned thins like toy trains etc

M3chanical_animal
1st July 2007, 11:40
i think its really important for the government to continue putting pressure on companies to think about the bigger picture and a sustained future - consumers need better ways to dispose of these items.

Gizmos
1st July 2007, 11:43
thing is now that local councils are charging for bulky household collections etc then more and more people are just going to dump the items - perhaps as a recourse the council should award "green points" towards money off council tax?

There are only two of us in our household and our recycle boxes are filled to the brim and more than a household of five (who say its too much effort) - its their children we are trying to protect the environment for! They only have on box wiht a layer of stuff in the bottom.

M3chanical_animal
1st July 2007, 11:50
I got so irate with those in my flats the other day - we have a big bin of recycling that was about 3/4 full and put it out on a Friday morning as usually would do. Came back from work and the council had stuck a "contaminated" sticker on the bin - when I opened it and looked in some complete moron (believe me I want to use much stronger words) had come along and emptied a bag of household kitchen waste into our recycling bin!

Some people make me so mad......

Gizmos
1st July 2007, 11:51
we've just boxes with no lids on - supposed to put them out night before but if you do dogs urinate against them - can often be found running outside in the morning straight out of bed chasing the recycling wagon (especially on Bank Holidays!). Wish we had a proper large bin