PDA

View Full Version : A Guide for Virgin Holidays / Tesco Deals

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

M3chanical_animal
1st July 2007, 20:58
Hi all,

I've noticed throughout the site that lots of people are using their deals for Virgin Holidays and many people seem to have similar questions.

As I recently booked with Virgin and used deals I thought I would post what I know in the hope that it can be used as a reference and any updates can be added to this thread.

Basics

Tesco vouchers can be used for full or part payment of your Virgin Holidays.

If you have to full amount of the holiday in deals vouchers the only cash you will end up paying is fuel surcharges / taxes (however on rare occasions this has been paid with Deals depending on the rep on the phone but don't expect to get the discount).

Tesco vouchers can not be used in conjunction with any other discount or deal (again on rare occasion it has been paid - try it but don't expect it)

In order to use Tesco vouchers holiday must be booked a minimum of 6 weeks in advance.

Vouchers can not be used for flight only deals - accommodation must also be booked.

Tesco vouchers can not be used for additional excursions, car rental of flight upgrades (again it has happened in the past but don't expect it).

Be aware that if you do not pay the whole amount in vouchers you may be asked to pay a deposit for the holiday - this is something else that can differ from rep to rep but if you go prepared to have to pay a 5% deposit then if you don't its a lovely surprise and you have extra spending money!

Preparation Before Ordering

Its best to have all Deals vouchers delivered and in hand before booking your holiday. Virgin take all the voucher codes off you over the phone so its wise to have them ready to give - plus if you have them all in hand then you know how much you can spend!

Please note that you can not book and then pay with vouchers at a later date - Virgin will only accept deals vouchers at the time on booking - any others will be declined so this is another reason to have all our vouchers in hand!

Have a general idea of where you want to go - you might not know the exact resort you want to go to but take a look online and draw up a list of 4/5 that you would be happy to stay in - that way you will be more prepared when calling.

Know the time period you want to book and check that all dates in this period are free - check with work / family / dog sitters / cat sitters etc to make sure there are no complications after you have booked!

Makes sure your passports are valid! Emergency passports are both stressful and expensive (trust me I've found on in the past!).

The number that is sent on the piece of paper with your deals quotes a number that informs Virgin straight away that you intend to use deals as a method of part / full payment - look up the normal number off the website for where you intend to go and use that when you call - then they will be non the wiser!

When Calling

Most inportantly - DO NOT MENTION YOU WILL BE PAYING WITH CLUBCARD DEALS! This will stop the prices being hiked up to compensate for the payment method.

Be polite to the person on the phone and build a rapor - they are more likely to find you a better deal if you make the call more pleasurable for them.

Give them a guide of how much you are prepared to spend - that will save time turing down more expensive options.

When given an option of flights and resorts ensure you confirm the flight times and board type you are looking for (Full Board, All Inclusive etc) to check they fit with what your looking for.

Ask if the resort is undergoing any maintenance of development while you are staying.

Confirm an exact price - once they have given you an exact figure they can not go back on it when you have stated you wish to pay in Tesco deals.

Don't get caught up in the excitement - remember you can always get them to save your quote and call up a few days later when you have thought about it.

Confirm the full address that you need to send your vouchers to.

Post Booking

Most importantly Virgin require your vouchers to reach them within 3 working days from your phone call. I suggest you send these Special delivery - not only will they be guaranteed by 9am the next morning you will also be insured for upto ?2,000.00 if they are lost.

Once you know the definite dates once again check with work / family / friends to check all is in order - there is nothing worse than booking and finding out you've mixed up the dates! (As I found out!)

You will be able to use the details of your booking (you will be sent a basic letter within 2 weeks of booking) to log into the Virgin Holidays website and see if your discounts have come off - don't panic if they do not come off straight away - they can take upto 4-6 weeks for the discounts to come off. If 6 weeks after your booking your vouchers are still not off your order I'd call and investigate.

Don't panic about tickets / welcome packs - in order for Virgin to ensure you don't loose your tickets they will send out your full details a minimum of 10 days before your holiday - there is not point calling them and waiting on the phone to be told exactly the same thing by a rep. If 10 days before you have not received them then obviously call and chase them.

Contact your doctors office and find out what vaccinations you may need before traveling - remember some require a 4-6 week course to class you as safe to travel.

Get everything ready at least 2 days before - don't do the whole packing the night before thing - you will more than likely discover that you have forgot something or need to buy something - doing it all 2 days before give you a chance to sort out any last min problems!

During The Holiday

Enjoy it! Its the culmination of all your points collecting - don't get hung up on the small things. Even if you have the most awful holiday in the world try and make the most out of it - you didn't pay for it Mr.T did!

Ilovepoints
1st July 2007, 21:01
Thanks for the info, am looking to book at the end of next Quarter, so very interested in your experiences.

M3chanical_animal
1st July 2007, 21:03
I fly in 3 days so you won't have to wait long for a full review! haha

monkeypuzzle
1st July 2007, 21:05
Great idea, thanks for the info and have a fantastic holiday :)

mummytotwo
1st July 2007, 21:08
Thanks for all the info. Hope you have a great holiday

penfold
1st July 2007, 21:22
Great review M3 :) Would rep you but hey, just for a change I have to spread my love around a bit first. :rolleyes:

Only thing I would add is that even if you think you get to use vouchers unexpectedly for things like transfers or internal flights at the booking stage you are not home and dry. I received a letter a few days afterwards saying the rep on the phone had made a mistake and they would take an additional ?200 odd pound from the deposit I had given them :mad:

Also, try to make sure that you think of everything at the booking stage (added extra;s etc) and hope you don't get any problems such as above. I found the reps on the phone to be beyond reproach and fab but the after sales service seems to be based abroad and was pretty abysmal. Even if the holiday is free ;)

M3chanical_animal
1st July 2007, 21:28
Completely agree Penfold.

I got completely caught up in the excitement on the phone while getting a price that I booked it there and then - only the next day when I went to work did I find out I'd already booked those dates off to go to a festival! Stupid mistake I know but one I wont make again! We're all human and can make mistakes so check all is in order before confirming!

Beej
1st July 2007, 21:30
Another thing to point out is that you can't add vouchers to the cost after the initial booking. IYSWIM

M3chanical_animal
1st July 2007, 21:32
May I just add that the lady who sorted out this whole disaster was so patient with me that I class if as the best customer service I have ever received (she worked in the booking dept and said that if I had any probs with my booking call her within 48 hours and she would sort it out) - sent off a letter to Virgin explaining why I think she should get a payrise - I know in reality she probably won't I hope she at least was made aware of my comments!

M3chanical_animal
1st July 2007, 21:33
Another thing to point out is that you can't add vouchers to the cost after the initial booking. IYSWIM

Good point Beej - I'll add now ;)

jonnyboyrevel
4th July 2007, 08:12
hey

it says don't tell them you are using vouchers until they have quoted a price (like you used to have to do with MFI) but how does this work because i thought you had to ring a number which is for deals vouchers only, so surely thay would already know

what number should i be ringing to get the cheapest quote on the holiday??

any help would be much appreciated!!

M3chanical_animal
4th July 2007, 08:30
hey

it says don't tell them you are using vouchers until they have quoted a price (like you used to have to do with MFI) but how does this work because i thought you had to ring a number which is for deals vouchers only, so surely thay would already know

what number should i be ringing to get the cheapest quote on the holiday??

any help would be much appreciated!!

Hey,

its mentioned above - I've highlighted the section for you :)

The number that is sent on the piece of paper with your deals quotes a number that informs Virgin straight away that you intend to use deals as a method of part / full payment - look up the normal number off the website for where you intend to go and use that when you call - then they will be non the wiser!

jen
4th July 2007, 08:37
Is it today or tomorrow you are off, good luck have a wonderful holiday, tell us all about it when you return.:)

M3chanical_animal
4th July 2007, 08:47
I'm literally on the way out the door now - just waiting for my parents to turn up to take us to the airport! Whoooo!

Speak to you all when I get back :)

jen
4th July 2007, 08:50
Just a little tip from a friend, if you are still there, her luggage was delayed at the Dubai arrived a day late, so buy some suncream from boots once through duty free as it is very dear to buy on the island and obviously you can't carry through hand luggage now.

tiger
4th July 2007, 08:51
Make sure you turn off the PC before you go then M3ch. :D
Have a great time.

Irishsmurfy
4th July 2007, 14:10
Great review M3 :) Would rep you but hey, just for a change I have to spread my love around a bit first. :rolleyes:

Only thing I would add is that even if you think you get to use vouchers unexpectedly for things like transfers or internal flights at the booking stage you are not home and dry. I received a letter a few days afterwards saying the rep on the phone had made a mistake and they would take an additional ?200 odd pound from the deposit I had given them :mad:

Also, try to make sure that you think of everything at the booking stage (added extra;s etc) and hope you don't get any problems such as above. I found the reps on the phone to be beyond reproach and fab but the after sales service seems to be based abroad and was pretty abysmal. Even if the holiday is free ;)

Hi Penfold

Just a quick mention that when I booked my holiday with Virgin last year they also underquoted me by over ?200 !! However when they rang me to say that I needed to pay the extra I refused on the grounds that the holiday deposit I had paid using my credit card had "sealed the deal" so to speak. The price quoted was my "contracted" price and they agreed in the end!!!! Sometimes they do try to up the price but back down fairly quick when challenged. Even though it was mainly a free holiday (thanks to Mr T) I would have begrudged paying the extra.

lewpylew
2nd August 2007, 20:11
Thanks for that really useful info. I am frantically saving for a trip to New York next spring. Have about ?700 in deals, so I think I will wait til November now to book in the hope I can bump up my tokens to have more spending money! xx

M3chanical_animal
2nd August 2007, 20:43
You will achieve it no problems :)

chirpy007
2nd August 2007, 21:53
How can you ring up for a price then tell them your paying in deals, it clearly states no discounts etc so how will they honour that quote once you have mentioned that your paying in deals.

M3chanical_animal
2nd August 2007, 22:40
Not quite sure what you mean by no discounts? If you calling up the number on the website for a normal quote you are not getting any discounts - your just getting a normal quote. Then once they give you a price and you confirm your payment method in deals they can't turn round and say "well actually as your paying in deals I'm afraid the holiday is more expensive" - its the same holiday :)

chirpy007
3rd August 2007, 06:54
Not quite sure what you mean by no discounts? If you calling up the number on the website for a normal quote you are not getting any discounts - your just getting a normal quote. Then once they give you a price and you confirm your payment method in deals they can't turn round and say "well actually as your paying in deals I'm afraid the holiday is more expensive" - its the same holiday :)

When i have rung for a couple of quotes i have told them straight away that i will be paying in deals and the price comes out the same as the brochure, its never been hiked up.

By the way of discounts i mean if a holiday is advertised on the site as reduced and you rang about it you shouldnt get it at that price if paying by deals but thats what they would quote you on if you never told them......are they then obliged to honour that quote as you havent paid anything...if you see what i mean ;)

mummytotwo
3rd August 2007, 06:56
i think that it may be that say you have an early booking discount that is allowed as it is in the brochure where as you won't get any internet discount.

M3chanical_animal
3rd August 2007, 08:30
When i have rung for a couple of quotes i have told them straight away that i will be paying in deals and the price comes out the same as the brochure, its never been hiked up.

By the way of discounts i mean if a holiday is advertised on the site as reduced and you rang about it you shouldnt get it at that price if paying by deals but thats what they would quote you on if you never told them......are they then obliged to honour that quote as you havent paid anything...if you see what i mean ;)

Ah yes I see what ya mean - I spose that if you ring up, dont mention any discounts and dont mention tesco deals then the price they give you they have come to by themselves - when you say you will be paying in deals you havent attempted to use it in conjunction with any other offer and if they haven't told you about and discounts previously then they cant say you are combining discounts - if that makes sense?

marcellep
9th August 2007, 13:54
Sorry if in wrong place

For 2 days I have been trying to get prices online @ virginholidays.co.uk

Each and every time it times out! What am I doing wrong

I fill in all the details

Ie - to from - how many - dates then search

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Request timed out.]

Any ideas?

gibby
9th August 2007, 15:00
It was working fine for me this morning

Sorry if in wrong place

For 2 days I have been trying to get prices online @ virginholidays.co.uk

Each and every time it times out! What am I doing wrong

I fill in all the details

Ie - to from - how many - dates then search

Any ideas?

marcellep
9th August 2007, 16:25
Still not working for me

Grace & Favour
9th August 2007, 16:50
and working for me too . . . .

Try closing your browser, clearing your cookies and starting again Marcellep

M3chanical_animal
9th August 2007, 17:58
Still not working for me

What browser are you using? The Virgin site does that to me when I try and use Safari.

marcellep
9th August 2007, 19:11
What browser are you using? The Virgin site does that to me when I try and use Safari.

I have cleared all my cookies etc

Re browser - I know nothing about the PC, I am using the standard programme that came with PC. Internet explorer!

Oh its still not working

Update - Just tried with Firefox still no go?

M3chanical_animal
9th August 2007, 19:30
I have cleared all my cookies etc

Re browser - I know nothing about the PC, I am using the standard programme that came with PC. Internet explorer!

Oh its still not working

Update - Just tried with Firefox still no go?

Its a bit weird :confused:

marcellep
9th August 2007, 19:35
Its a bit weird :confused:

Weird is not the word, I have since tried another browser and still NO go.

* Update - I can get prices for next mth - But nothing else

I give up :mad:

tikal73
10th August 2007, 16:24
Noticed that with Virgin, to book using clubcard deals you are to ring an 0871 :( number to book or request info etc. You will be charged up to 10p a minute for this call. Can soon mount up.....try using 01293 - 616161. This is Virgin Atlantic switchboard and they put you straight through to Virgin Holidays call centre if you ask. This call is a normal landline phone no. (which incidentally is free for me on my phone package). Every penny helps!!! x

M3chanical_animal
10th August 2007, 16:56
Nice on tiakal ;)

Deedee
10th August 2007, 17:13
PMSL, n1 tikal, I did it, told the woman that the "118" number gave me that number, "oh said she, they do that all the time" hee hee

omega51
10th August 2007, 18:43
I'm trying to get a rough price for a holiday so I know how many vouchers to save. If I go on the Virgin website and use the main price (before any internet and early booking discounts are applied) would this roughly be the price I will end up paying when I phone next year to book, sorry if that didn't make sense!!

chirpy007
10th August 2007, 18:46
I'm trying to get a rough price for a holiday so I know how many vouchers to save. If I go on the Virgin website and use the main price (before any internet and early booking discounts are applied) would this roughly be the price I will end up paying when I phone next year to book, sorry if that didn't make sense!!

Yes it would, you would just need to add on the fuel and resort tax.

I find it easier to go through the process and get a total, click on price breakdown and then add on the discounts that have been applied. That would be the price you pay :D

dingaling
11th August 2007, 14:24
I just booked for the caribbean with virgin and when I got the invoice through, I did get discounts on there, about ?200 or so, I didnt think you got any discounts with deals, not that I am complaining!

Freestyle
11th August 2007, 14:37
Hi Dingaling

I am wanting to book for St Lucia but was told I would have to pay the taxes in cash even though I have enough to pay for it all in deals. Did you have to pay the taxes in cash or did you pay for it all in deals. Thanks for the info

Cat
11th August 2007, 15:13
I just booked for the caribbean with virgin and when I got the invoice through, I did get discounts on there, about ?200 or so, I didnt think you got any discounts with deals, not that I am complaining!

If the discount is in the brochure like early booking discounts then you should get them. I managed to get ?20 each off our Florida holiday by going on the later flight, this wasn't even a discount shown in the brochure so I was quite happy when we got to keep it. Using the Virgin website you should be able to work out exactly what the cost should be before you ring to book, just ignore the online discount bit.

dingaling
11th August 2007, 17:01
Hi Dingaling

I am wanting to book for St Lucia but was told I would have to pay the taxes in cash even though I have enough to pay for it all in deals. Did you have to pay the taxes in cash or did you pay for it all in deals. Thanks for the info

I paid for it all in deals, none mentioned anything about paying any cash!

dingaling
11th August 2007, 17:01
If the discount is in the brochure like early booking discounts then you should get them. I managed to get ?20 each off our Florida holiday by going on the later flight, this wasn't even a discount shown in the brochure so I was quite happy when we got to keep it. Using the Virgin website you should be able to work out exactly what the cost should be before you ring to book, just ignore the online discount bit.

Thanks for thats Cat, it was some kind of booking discount, must be a brochure thing.

pollyanna24
14th August 2007, 11:01
Just out of curiousity, cos it's a while before I need to book, but if you do have to pay taxes or fuel charges, are these a lot in comparison to what you are actually paying for the holiday? I simply don't have a clue how much to put aside for this if I can't pay for it in deals.

louisew
14th August 2007, 14:28
Just out of curiousity, cos it's a while before I need to book, but if you do have to pay taxes or fuel charges, are these a lot in comparison to what you are actually paying for the holiday? I simply don't have a clue how much to put aside for this if I can't pay for it in deals.

For our holiday April 2008, it was ?108 each for fuel and resort tax and ?300 for car insurance (but this was for a MPV)

caraboo
16th August 2007, 10:48
hi all

Have just discovered the magic of tesco vouchers and am about to have a second family day out at a theme park.

After reading some of these threads i wonder if anyone can tell me roughly how many vouchers i would need for a trip to florida with virgin family of 4

thanks

M3chanical_animal
16th August 2007, 13:02
Hi caraboo,

It depends on where you go and when I suppose - take a look on the Virgin holidays website and take a look at dates and prices - that way you will be able to give yourself a target and can work out how many points you will need :)

Our*holiday*fund
21st August 2007, 11:52
can anyone give me a rough idea when 2009 holidays will go on sale with virgin :) thx

Bigbairn
21st August 2007, 12:01
can anyone give me a rough idea when 2009 holidays will go on sale with virgin :) thx

As far as I can remember I was able to check availability on line for Florida summer 2008 from about June 2007 onwards. Presumably 2009 holidays will have a similar lead in period. Glad to see that someone else is planning ahead too. :)

Our*holiday*fund
21st August 2007, 12:11
im planning ahead now as ive just coverted ?2800 into xl deals, but theyve made it impossble for me to book, so could change them to cosmos and hope to book a family room for next may, or go for virgin as ill include this quarter and book a great holiday :)

M3chanical_animal
21st August 2007, 13:59
I belive that the deals vouchers are pretty much the same - anyone booked with both that can confirm?

Our*holiday*fund
21st August 2007, 14:02
I belive that the deals vouchers are pretty much the same - anyone booked with both that can confirm?

newly converted xl deals vouchers are different, have rung clubcard deals this morning and they confirmed the ones that say xl on the front and say on the back, canonly be used for the named deal on the front can only be se for xl, have to send them back to be issued new ones :(

M3chanical_animal
21st August 2007, 14:03
oh no :(

Kacruzer
21st August 2007, 16:20
I wonder if anyone can help me with a query regarding Virgin and using deals for Florida.
We are hoping to have enough vouchers for Florida Oct/Nov 2008. Do Virgin allow you to use deals vouchers for Florida homes Villas? Thanks in advance, Kacruzer X

Gizmos
21st August 2007, 16:22
they do so long as you are booking a package tis fine

Kacruzer
21st August 2007, 16:39
Thanks Gizmos! Repped you, Ka X

SATURDAY KIDS
21st August 2007, 22:23
They certainly do Ka, I'm about to book mine on Friday for April 2008, all for free {well nearly}.

geishagirly
22nd August 2007, 13:39
I have around ?1200 in virgin deals and was wanting to book somewhere (anywhere really) for 2 adults. However, the virgin website is a real pain to use. You cant select date ranges and it makes it hard to find the cheapest date and place. Does anyone know of any websites that trawl the virgin pages that are easier to use? Or has anyone booked with virgin recently for aroung this price with deals?

M3chanical_animal
22nd August 2007, 13:44
I'm not aware of any websites but I've always found Virgin really helpful when I call - they literally have all the brouchers infront of them and work from them so the best idea is to order a brochure of where you are thinking of going or simply give them a call and say that you're looking for a holiday aorund ?1200 and wanted to know whats available - they'll find you something as you are quite open to where your going :)

geishagirly
22nd August 2007, 13:54
I'm not aware of any websites but I've always found Virgin really helpful when I call - they literally have all the brouchers infront of them and work from them so the best idea is to order a brochure of where you are thinking of going or simply give them a call and say that you're looking for a holiday aorund ?1200 and wanted to know whats available - they'll find you something as you are quite open to where your going :)

Good idea thanks - I shall make them WORK for their deals vouchers!!!

M3chanical_animal
22nd August 2007, 13:57
hehe :)

Sunshinecoast
22nd August 2007, 16:09
Just be careful if you are pricing your virgin deal up on the internet as it seems to have completely different prices to the brochure. For instance a hotel that we were interested in was quoting ?537pp online but when I rang up to book it was actually ?635. We had dismissed a fly drive and townhouse because the teenage price online was coming in at ?369 but when I called to check it was only?199.

This booking is for my parents and they have now booked without their tesco vouchers as there were only 3 seats left coming back on the same flight as us. They were waiting for ?440 in deals to arrive and virgin were holding the seats for us but I got a real jobsworth today that was a tesco deals supervisor and would not extend the option ( when we booked ours they extended it each day until they arrived). So my parents ended up using the virgin frequent flyer discount at ?133, so it has cost another ?307 but at least they are on the same flight as us. It has been a real pain sorting this booking out and i must admit that virgin weren't anywhere near as helpful as they have been b4. They kept getting the flights/dates/ no. of nights wrong ( and all sorts of prices ). Just make sure that b4 you put the phone down you check everything through with them again as I have now checked the booking online and there is a spelling mistake! ( maybe bring the reservation up online whilst on the phone to double check it if you can)

Maverick
22nd August 2007, 16:13
ow do you bring the reservation up online do they give you instructions on how ro do this?

I am having a nightmare myself..

Gizmos
22nd August 2007, 16:17
think ifyou login to Virgin website it give you an option to check booking

Manage Your Booking (https://www.virginholidays.co.uk/my/manage_booking/)

Maverick
22nd August 2007, 16:19
thats clever, cheers Giz! Cheers sunshine, wish there bleddin was some!

Sunshinecoast
23rd August 2007, 16:04
Hope you are getting on better than me maverick, I was being polite in my original post, as Virgin were a pain in the A***! I dread my phone bill coming in as I was on the phone to them for a good couple of hours! I spoke to a supervisor and asked her to hold the seats we wanted for a couple of hours,(so we could decide whether to pay the cash or not) as she had canx my option because she knew we didn't have our vouchers, I then called back to book it and she had booked the wrong return date. She tried to tell me that my original booking was for the date she had booked, so I explained that the costing I had did not include an extra night as we had gone through the costing sooooo many times, eventually she found the flight I needed but it was so stressful! I was so worried I was going to loose the seats and then my parents would not have been able to go, Good luck to anyone that is booking!

To add insult to injury I then looked online at the names and realised they had spelt my mums name with 2 n's instead of one, she called to advise them and they were really rude saying that if she changed anything else it would cost her ?25 each! ( when this was their spelling mistake)

Also when you complete your booking ask for the virgina altlantic booking ref and you can book your seats etc on their website!:D

Maverick
23rd August 2007, 16:55
another fantastic tip cant rep youagain but thanks, no mine is more of a nightmare, its been one thing after another, still not booked yet, something gives me the impression they dont like you to pay in deals in full.....

mutley muppet
23rd August 2007, 18:03
Do Virgin still do holidays to Egypt (Sharm specifically?)
I've been searching on their website and cant find anything for Egypt but Im sure they do?? :help:

Maverick
23rd August 2007, 18:26
Dont think they do mutley??? Sorry. I know you like it there.
I want to go for the diving but am not keen on resorty type places. I must say I do like the look of the Four seasons in Sharm........sigh no one on deals does it.........sigh........

mutley muppet
23rd August 2007, 18:35
Dont think they do mutley??? Sorry. I know you like it there.
I want to go for the diving but am not keen on resorty type places. I must say I do like the look of the Four seasons in Sharm........sigh no one on deals does it.........sigh........

XL do a few nice hotels, Hilton Sharks Bay, Sierra & Savoy. They are all out of the toursity bit (Naama Bay) I would hapily book any of these but I don't have enough deals to book a holiday before XL pull out.

I've looked at the Cosmos prices for Sharm and they are daylight robbery!!:shocked: Think I will have to either just book some flights with XL or sell my deals on flea bay. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Where else can I get sun & snorkelling for cheap??

MM. x

M3chanical_animal
23rd August 2007, 18:42
How much is cheap mutley?

Maverick
23rd August 2007, 18:58
Yes I think I looked at ths savoy and it didnt look bad. But think I am just about to blow all my deals and then some so wont have any left and then as you say xl are leaving.

Its such a shame as with their prices their holidays were a steal with deals.

mutley muppet
23rd August 2007, 20:21
How much is cheap mutley?

Cheap! lol, I am a real meany! :rolleyes:

I usually book hols independently, so in December (going to Sharm) I would usually pay about ?220 each for flights and then about ?150 per person on accomodation? So I guess I would want to pay approx ?370 per person (B&B).

When i priced up Hilton sharks Bay with Cosmos it was quoting ?1300!!! This is AI, BUT Im sure i could get it much cheaper independently.

I usually go with a friend as OH stays at home with the dogs. :D

Any ideas? I realy love snorkelling thats why I love the red sea so much.

Maverick
23rd August 2007, 20:27
where do you say mutley? What are the restaurants like in sharm? Reasonable price to eat out.

Our*holiday*fund
25th August 2007, 22:32
..?

M3chanical_animal
25th August 2007, 22:52
if your traveling in 2009 then you have over a year to book your dates so it wont be a problem

Sunshinecoast
26th August 2007, 13:10
So have you managed to book yet maverick??

Maverick
26th August 2007, 13:14
not quite........

M3chanical_animal
26th August 2007, 15:09
Hold out Mav you will get there :)

jo-jo-ro
27th August 2007, 23:21
hi guys....I've loved reading this thread :D

We are saving our cc vouchers for a holiday to FLORIDA next year, we'd love to stay in Disney or somewhere really nice outside of the park.

My question is, what holiday company would you recommend to do this with? We did plan on swapping our cc vouchers for VIRGIN vouchers but have seen Cosmos mentioned and XL (who I have never heared of before) so I'm now confused as to who to go with.

any help would be appreciated. We won't be booking until next year but it's nice to know what you guys think.

thanks xx

Gizmos
27th August 2007, 23:23
XL dont do Florida and they are leaving Deals sooon so only Cosmos and Virgin to choose from

mummytotwo
28th August 2007, 06:11
and i think that cosmos only Florida in their Summer Sun brochure as I can never get Winter to come up for me.

akane
28th August 2007, 11:38
To reduce the cost of your holiday by hundreds of pounds try asking the school that your children attend if it would be possible to take them on holiday during term time.
Our daughter had 100% attendance for two years and the headmaster said "no problem" as we told him it was a one off ,which it was.he even wrote a letter if we had any problems.

wwcrazy
28th August 2007, 11:43
To reduce the cost of your holiday by hundreds of pounds try asking the school that your children attend if it would be possible to take them on holiday during term time.
Our daughter had 100% attendance for two years and the headmaster said "no problem" as we told him it was a one off ,which it was.he even wrote a letter if we had any problems.

Sorry but I don't agree with kids being out of school in term time, never have. I have always moaned about the cost of holidays though:o

Freebird
28th August 2007, 12:23
Sorry if this sounds really dim, but I'm new to this and trying to work it all out.....does using your clubcard vouchers for a holiday deal basically mean that ?500 of vouchers would get me a ca ?2000 holiday? :confused:

Seems too good to be true....OH racks up masses of Tesco points but we've always just used them for money off the shopping. :shocked:

Beej
28th August 2007, 12:32
Sorry if this sounds really dim, but I'm new to this and trying to work it all out.....does using your clubcard vouchers for a holiday deal basically mean that ?500 of vouchers would get me a ca ?2000 holiday? :confused:

Seems too good to be true....OH racks up masses of Tesco points but we've always just used them for money off the shopping. :shocked:

Be prepared to be lynched for saying something like that.:eek::eek::eek: Yes ?500 of voucher is worth ?2000 toward to holiday, with Cosmos or Virgin (or XL until the end of Oct)

jo-jo-ro
28th August 2007, 12:38

Nooooooooooo:eek: don't spend them, I believe people sell them on Ebay and get approx double the face value of them but personally I'd save them for a holiday for my family.

I am new to this too, we have been shopping on line for a few months now and have accumulated about ?400 towards our holiday (?100 tesco voucher) so yes, it's 4 x the tesco voucher price that you get in deals. I've yet to see my points added from this bank holiday tv glitch but if all goes well, we will have double the points.

If you don't mind taking advice from a sort of newbie then, I would say to come onto pts more often (family and kids permitting, like me) and keep your eye on any threads regarding glitches and money off coupons in mags etc....
This is my plan anyway. I just hope the bubble never bursts on this scheme:pray2:

Freebird
28th August 2007, 14:06
Thank you ladies......am already addicted to Bootsing but methinks PTS will easily take over! I've been looking around PTS this morning and there's soooooo much info!

Will do lots of reading to escape any lynchings!!

:ranger:

Gizmos
28th August 2007, 14:09
Freebird - we've a small Boots sction on here - if you have anything to add please do so - it's not something Ihave any expertise in so would be great to hear from you

rainbow
6th October 2007, 16:17
I've been messing around on the Virgin site for ideas for a Florida holiday, and a holiday I looked at for 2 adults and one child showed an "Inbound Premium Supplement" of over ?700 total. This is over and above the child's holiday price. Yet this supplement doesn't show up if you just price the same holiday for 2 adults without a child. Does anyone know why this is - is the supplement due to having a party of 3 people, whether children or not? Seems a bit steep :confused:

Flo
6th October 2007, 16:20
It looks like its offering you premium seats, perhaps there are only 2 seats left in economy.

rainbow
6th October 2007, 17:02
Thanks flo, that's probably what it is. :(

jasmine-sarah
3rd December 2007, 16:47
Hi I'm a newbie - so hello everyone! I thought I was an avid collector until I saw you guys! A quick question - vouchers are valid for 2 years, right? So when I see someone saving for a hol in 2010 - does that mean they'll book it earlier, or is there a way of making them last longer?
Basically my question is how much time can I save for?
Thanks in advance!

rainbow
3rd December 2007, 18:21
Hi jasmine-sarah, and welcome! Nice to have you with us! :)

The vouchers you get from Tesco in your quarterly mailing are valid for two years. Once you convert them to the deal of your choice, the tokens you receive are valid for another 6 months.

jasmine-sarah
3rd December 2007, 20:50
Hi Rainbow, thanks! Thats what I thought, I guess I better get going then!

gibby
6th December 2007, 12:26
Hi, Just booked my holiday to vegas next year, i called the normal booking number and gave date etc and she gave me the price, i then mentioned i was paying with deals and she said no problem and that its still the same price, so i got a week on the bellagio next november for 150 quid. Looking online i got all the discounts except the online booking one.

Also just to note the new brochure is out and there have been price reductions.

paulie558
7th December 2007, 13:55
The price of Florida 2008 holidays seem to have gone through the roof.The holiday we got for ?1670 a month ago is now coming out at ?2500.
Flydrive segmant has increased to 453 from 360,taxes and fuel surcharge has increased from 126 each to 166.Other factors apply like premium economy flight left on outbound leg,plus 2 bedroom apartment needed as 1 bedroom sold out,but really glad we booked when we did!

pointsforholidays
7th December 2007, 20:21
I have just booked my first holiday using the vouchers and it was a very smooth deal.
We are off to South Afirca for a 2 day safari at Shamwari then a drive along the garden route to Cape town total price ?3900....almost all paid in deals with a little bit of cash.
Cant believe it very exciting to get a free holiday so thanks to everyone on here and of course Tesco...now to begin saving for more holidays

M3chanical_animal
7th December 2007, 20:23
Congrats to all those who have recently booked :)

missfendi
18th December 2007, 11:14
Congrats to all those who have recently booked :)

hi all, just booked my first hols with Virgin in May to st Lucia and Barbados ?2200 (i have to pay for the breakfast as the hotel i chose has no meal package but you can buy the breakfast package from Virgin)

I still have ?400 in deals left to send back to Tesco as I converted too much!!
this quarter has been low for me though I only have 12000 as opposed to this time last quarter i had nearly 50k:mad:

Baggiebird1nil
2nd January 2008, 19:43
hi all, just booked my first hols with Virgin in May to st Lucia and Barbados ?2200 (i have to pay for the breakfast as the hotel i chose has no meal package but you can buy the breakfast package from Virgin)

I still have ?400 in deals left to send back to Tesco as I converted too much!!
this quarter has been low for me though I only have 12000 as opposed to this time last quarter i had nearly 50k:mad:

How the hell do you get so many points? I thought I was doing well with 2000!!:confused:

Maverick
2nd January 2008, 19:45
Getting excited only a few weeks untill my holiday!

pollyanna_11
2nd January 2008, 19:48
Getting excited only a few weeks untill my holiday!

Where you going Maverick?:)

Maverick
2nd January 2008, 19:52
Botswana

pollyanna_11
2nd January 2008, 19:53
Botswana

'Pollyanna goes a light shade of green'- I am really jealous. Have a fab time.:)

rogue999
5th January 2008, 23:42
Hello, just a quickie from a newbie!

Can anyone tell me how your name is printed when you exchange your tokens for Virgin Vouchers? I only ask as DH and I both have CC accounts and want to use vouchers from both (which is OK isn't it as long as that person is travelling??)
BUT Mother in Law has also offered to convert some of hers (she won't be going with us) and she has the same initial and surname as me, so basically what i'm trying to ask is do they print your whole name or just your initial and surname.

Thanks guys, great forum btw.

Rogue

tyroleandancer
5th January 2008, 23:50
Hello, just a quickie from a newbie!

Can anyone tell me how your name is printed when you exchange your tokens for Virgin Vouchers? I only ask as DH and I both have CC accounts and want to use vouchers from both (which is OK isn't it as long as that person is travelling??)
BUT Mother in Law has also offered to convert some of hers (she won't be going with us) and she has the same initial and surname as me, so basically what i'm trying to ask is do they print your whole name or just your initial and surname.

Thanks guys, great forum btw.

Rogue

welcome :)
Just surname
:)

rogue999
6th January 2008, 10:14
Thanks for that, can get a bit excited now :biggrin1:

natasha1
9th January 2008, 20:33
HI,just thought i would mention about car hire in florida,if you need to hire a car seat in florida/ orlando you can buy them in wall mart for $45,car hire firms try to rip you off on the hire charges sometimes.

M3chanical_animal
9th January 2008, 20:46
Thanks for sharing natasha1 :)

Eccle
10th January 2008, 22:36
Can I just check I've got it right on what I can and can't pay in deals? Just trying to convert the right amount. I've done an online quote to get an idea, so I need to add on the online discount value to the total, but then I can't pay what's marked as Fuel Apd & Resort Tax, or the car hire upgrade and insurance. Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

M3chanical_animal
10th January 2008, 22:58
Yep that sounds about right Eccle - where are you thinking of going?

alibongo
10th January 2008, 23:04
Can someone please tell me if I can use vouchers that I have converted to Virgin tokens on a hotel instead, thanks.

M3chanical_animal
10th January 2008, 23:07
dont know I'm afraid ali - sorry

Eccle
10th January 2008, 23:09
Yep that sounds about right Eccle - where are you thinking of going?

Thank you, it gets so confusing! We're planning to go to California.

alibongo
10th January 2008, 23:10
Thanks M3chanical animal, I'm sure someone will know x

M3chanical_animal
10th January 2008, 23:52
Thank you, it gets so confusing! We're planning to go to California.

Very nice choice :)

We are thinking about going skiing in Northern Canada and seeing the Northern Lights, but the excursion can not be paid with Tesco vouchers so having to weight up the cost of ?500 each :eek:

Its on both our list of things to do before we die tho so......

Eccle
11th January 2008, 21:53
Thank you. That sounds like a great trip you've got in mind, I know the ?500 each is a lot, but think of what you've saved on the rest of the trip if it's something you really want to do at some point.

tyroleandancer
13th January 2008, 00:20
Can someone please tell me if I can use vouchers that I have converted to Virgin tokens on a hotel instead, thanks.

you can
i used mine to eat ot, hotels, johnsons cleaners and goldsmiths :)

Eccle
16th January 2008, 23:30
Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice on this thead and elsewhere on the site, I booked tonight and was able to pay about three quarters of the cost in Deals, which is great for us. Off to California in a few months and really looking foward to it!

Maverick
17th January 2008, 08:32
Well done Eccle thats fab news. Hope you have a fab time.

littlemissnaughty
17th January 2008, 08:48
Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice on this thead and elsewhere on the site, I booked tonight and was able to pay about three quarters of the cost in Deals, which is great for us. Off to California in a few months and really looking foward to it!

Well done you, we are hoping to book our holiday when the next lot of vouchers arrive, can't wait. Hoping to go to either Cuba or Jamaca, thanks to MR T!!!
Eccle, have a really good time and don't forget to have a drink for MR T!!:D

M3chanical_animal
17th January 2008, 20:01
Congrats Eccle :)

Eccle
17th January 2008, 21:02
Thank you all, I will make sure to have a drink on Mr T! :)

mummytotwo
18th January 2008, 10:14
Well looks like I am going to be booking my Holiday for November 2008 when the clubcard statement comes through :D :D

I have about ?1500 in deals at the moment and wonder whether I should start ordered those now or should I wait until my other vouchers have arrived *(fingers crossed)

Is there a safer way of ordering the voucher etc and if I order too many virgin voucher can I use them on anything else.

Thank you for looking :D

Grinder
18th January 2008, 10:20
Well looks like I might be using Virgin to get married over the summer due to issues in this country.. anyone know what St Lucia is like please? probably be going 1st couple weeks in July or last 2 in August..

Maverick
18th January 2008, 10:55
Very nice Grinder, I will be in this part of the world at this time.

Grinder
18th January 2008, 10:59
Very nice Grinder, I will be in this part of the world at this time.

I will need a witness... fancy a job? ;)

Eccle
18th January 2008, 19:05
Well looks like I am going to be booking my Holiday for November 2008 when the clubcard statement comes through :D :D

I have about ?1500 in deals at the moment and wonder whether I should start ordered those now or should I wait until my other vouchers have arrived *(fingers crossed)

Is there a safer way of ordering the voucher etc and if I order too many virgin voucher can I use them on anything else.

Thank you for looking :D

I'd start changing them in batches now, I heard somewhere here that ?500 of deals triggers a security check, so always changed just under that at a time, changed exact amounts so there could be no problems with crediting amounts back and left a couple of days between each order I did. The deals are valid 6 months so there's plenty of time to use them.

Where are you going?

Maverick
18th January 2008, 19:40
I will need a witness... fancy a job? ;)

Would Love to but wont be on St Luica, will be In BVI. But could possibly get a short hoppa plane over for the day!

Or why not come and get married in the BVI so many lovely deserted beaches there.

bigbill
18th January 2008, 22:25
http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/promotions/valentines/

Don't suppose tesco deals could be used?l

pookienoodle
18th January 2008, 22:50
HI,just thought i would mention about car hire in florida,if you need to hire a car seat in florida/ orlando you can buy them in wall mart for $45,car hire firms try to rip you off on the hire charges sometimes.

I have heard people mention this before but I have a question.
what do you do about a car seat until you have been to wallmart?
surley you need the car seat straight away.

mummytotwo
19th January 2008, 09:48
I'd start changing them in batches now, I heard somewhere here that ?500 of deals triggers a security check, so always changed just under that at a time, changed exact amounts so there could be no problems with crediting amounts back and left a couple of days between each order I did. The deals are valid 6 months so there's plenty of time to use them.

Where are you going?

I am going to Florida :D :D. Right, ok I may do exchange the vouchers today, Do I need to order from the relevant cluncard or can I just order ?450 from various accounts :D

LoveABargain
19th January 2008, 10:12
I am going to Florida :D :D. Right, ok I may do exchange the vouchers today, Do I need to order from the relevant cluncard or can I just order ?450 from various accounts :D

I personally would order the vouchers from the account they were issued to be on the safe side :)

mummytotwo
19th January 2008, 10:21
thank you. think i will start now then I can order one account at a time. Then I can dop the process again when I get the February mailing. Does this sound like the best idea. Have to admi to getting a little excited. First time I have been excited about paying for a holiday.

Another quick question, sorry, when I phone up Virgin for a quote they told me their would be a ?20 flight supplement each. This is not a weekend supplement as we are planning on going on a Wednesday and coming back on a Wednesday/Thursday. We are going in November, may even renew my vows too :D Does any one know how we can get around this charge?

Thanks

Eccle
19th January 2008, 11:15
Good luck with getting the vouchers changed, Florida sounds a great holiday. Like LoveABargain said it's probably best to keep accounts separate if you can, but I did have some with no online account which I did through a different account in the same name.

bootsaholic
19th January 2008, 18:34
thank you. think i will start now then I can order one account at a time. Then I can dop the process again when I get the February mailing. Does this sound like the best idea. Have to admi to getting a little excited. First time I have been excited about paying for a holiday.

Another quick question, sorry, when I phone up Virgin for a quote they told me their would be a ?20 flight supplement each. This is not a weekend supplement as we are planning on going on a Wednesday and coming back on a Wednesday/Thursday. We are going in November, may even renew my vows too :D Does any one know how we can get around this charge?

Thanks

We are waiting to book ours when next deals come through and are also planning to go to Florida in November, I havent rang up for a quote yet but wanted to ask about the ?20 each. Was that all that they said you would have to pay or were there any other supplements etc? Thanks!:D

mummytotwo
19th January 2008, 19:11
we were going to stay in a house and the house cost ?500+per week (depending on how many bedrooms
then adult flight 323 :D
child flight 179
fuel surcharge 136
flight supplement 20 x 3 (this was for the 3 adult but think maybe if I choose different dates I wouldn't need to pay??)
platinum insurance ?189 (know we can get it cheaper as per other threads but needed to get an idea)

If you fly at the weekend you also get an additional ?20 for each flight that is taken at the weekend (this includes Fridays and Sundays even though you land on Monday)

bootsaholic
19th January 2008, 19:36
Thanks for info. Lovely idea staying in a house, have not done that before. Will avoid weekend flights when costing, cheers!

Eccle
19th January 2008, 19:42
In terms of doing a costing, mine was the same as I'd costed up on the website minus the online discount so that should let you play around with dates etc.

mummytotwo
19th January 2008, 19:46
unfortunately you can't price up the houses on the net.

Eccle
19th January 2008, 19:47
Ah, I hadn't realised that, sorry.

mummytotwo
19th January 2008, 19:49
no problems :D Am hoping that I will be able to use the Tesco ?100 voucher and they don't class a holiday in a home as a fly drive.

Orlando2007
19th January 2008, 21:24

If you type in Orlando Homes on the Virgin site, you can access price per week of the Villas, depending which resort you want :) and shows flydrive prices by the side for the week you want to travel.

mummytotwo
19th January 2008, 21:26
I know that it gives a rough cost but when I phoned them up the prices were slightly different and i also wanted to check the availability. No use me getting excited if there were no homes available.

heatherbelle
23rd January 2008, 19:16

This is becoming really annoying, up until November, you could price them on-line, now you have to phone up. I wish Virgin would get their act together, so we can price up on-line again.

There are also loads of other properties not coming up on-line that are in the broucher. At first i thought they must be full, but when you ring up, they are available.

Hopefully when you book, you should be able to pay the whole of your holiday with deals, including the flight supplement. A few of us have managed this.

mpet
29th January 2008, 20:22
There is a tab on the virgin site where you can see the price per week for villas.

Put in the dates you want

go to the right hand side of the page and click 'florida Homes'

Click the hotels tab

Choose the villa you want

Then click on the prices tab at the top of the page.

The best way to price up so the taxes are included is to go through the booking for a fly drive, then add the weekly villa price to the total.

I don't know why this has changed to book via phone, unless they are adding more locations - there are certainly more than last year:)

bobsyeruncle
2nd February 2008, 14:53
I see that some people say that they are made to pay for the fuel surcharges and taxes but as far as i can see these are not mentioned in the t & c.

The only generic item states ... any other optional extras but fuel and taxes are not optional.

bloaty
3rd February 2008, 14:35
Sorry if this has already been posted but found it on MSE. Hope it helps someone.

I gotta Virgin Clubhouse free pass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're travelling Virgin Economy or Premium Economy via Heathrow before the end of April 2008, you can apply for a free clubhouse pass, this gets you into the exclusive Virgin airport lounge (more details about the lounge here: http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/extr.../heathrow.aspx) which normally costs ?60. Just email your name and flight number to virginatlantic@matterbox.co.uk at least 7 days before you fly. Please note that there are only 100 passes to give away, so I'd assume it's first come, first served. The T&C's state that it's valid for you and a guest who must be travelling on the same flight, I've not applied for this myself, so I don't know how it would work if you were a family of 4, for example. Children under 12 are not admitted, and there is a dress code (smart casual). It's not valid if your ticket is with any other airline, or transferable to any other airport. I hope this helps someone - if you do get passes, please come back and let us know how you get on!

Maverick
3rd February 2008, 17:33
Ohhhhhhh that would be fantastic travelling next week less than 7 days, oh well worth a punt.

Eccle
3rd February 2008, 17:54
Thanks for that, I've sent off an email as it's worth a try!

Maverick
5th February 2008, 18:50
I got one! Big hugs, reps and love!

Eccle
5th February 2008, 18:57
Me too! You'll have to let me know how you get on with it Maverick, as I'm not travelling for a while.

Maverick
5th February 2008, 18:59
Ypu too fab :clap2:

Eccle
5th February 2008, 19:00
Forgot to say, huge thank you from me too for posting it.

pollyanna24
21st February 2008, 11:10
Well, I've read through this post from start to finish as hopefully it will aid me when I book my holiday in a few weeks time.

I was going to save my vouchers, but Tesco seem to have really clamped down on things, so am in the process of transferring all my Tesco vouchers to Virgin vouchers.

Think I have boo booed already, as this morning I transferred up ?280 into ?1,120 from my main account which I have now learned is too much and will probably warrant a phone call from Tesco. Will I still get the vouchers? I have been saving them for a long time.

We have decide to go away this May/June and I was just wondering if this was too short notice to book a holiday if I get all my Virgin vouchers back by say start of March.

I have just found out I am pregnant and we are looking forward to a nice relaxing holiday in the Carribean with virgin cocktails (virgin.. teehee. geddit?)

Can anyone recommend nicest relaxing place for us to go for 2 weeks all inclusive? We have ?2,720 in total, so ?1,360 each which will hopefully get us a nice holiday.

mummytotwo
21st February 2008, 13:52
pollyanna24- do you post on MSE?

I would try not to worry to much. They should turn up in about 2/3 days. Wouldn't recommend checking on the net as they always say not dispatched even if I have the vouchers in your hand.

TBh I think anywhere would be relaxing if it was just the 2 of you. I have stayed in Rivera(SP) Maya in Mexico and that was beautiful-although I did go with my sister so not romantic!!

pollyanna24
21st February 2008, 14:03
I am indeed the one and same Pollyanna24! I think a lot of people flit between the two sites, don't they?

I didn't even realise the Tesco website would say they'd been dispatched. Whereabouts would that be then? Must go and have a nosey.

mummytotwo
21st February 2008, 14:34
how are you.

Have you received an e-mail from Tesco yet ? There will be a link on there where it says you can check you order. It is on the Other orders part of your account. I.e. books etc. HTH

pollyanna24
21st February 2008, 14:58
Thanks a lot for that! I've found it!

Out of the two orders I did this morning, I only received an e-mail for one of them, but both of them are showing as being ordered on the website. HOpefully they will come soon.

mummytotwo
21st February 2008, 16:03
I ordered four lots last time and only received 3 emails but did receive all the vouchers :D

How are you doing Pollyanna, is everything going well?

wolves
21st February 2008, 23:04
Think I have boo booed already, as this morning I transferred up ?280 into ?1,120 from my main account which I have now learned is too much and will probably warrant a phone call from Tesco. Will I still get the vouchers? I have been saving them for a long time.

Can I ask why you think this is too much? I've literally just sent off for ?313.75 (?1255) worth, which is nearly 2 years worth of my credit card vouchers.
Am panicking.....

bootsaholic
24th February 2008, 19:44
I have recently exchanged ?354 (?1416) into deals and received them without any problems. Hope that puts your mind at ease!!

wolves
24th February 2008, 22:41
thanks, shall hold tight till I get them, not that this site makes you paranoid of course!.....

gobbyash
24th February 2008, 22:49
I exchanged ?950 worth of vouchers (?3,800 in Deals) in December in one go from various accounts in versions of mine and my wifes name without any problems.

harryboy
25th February 2008, 12:51
Just phoned virgin, they have told me that 2009 hols prices are frozen at 2008 prices until april and also you get free v room at airport if you book before april 23rd. hope this is useful to someone

wolves
25th February 2008, 16:33
Just phoned virgin, they have told me that 2009 hols prices are frozen at 2008 prices until april and also you get free v room at airport if you book before april 23rd. hope this is useful to someone

Do you get free v room when you book for 09 only, or is it 08 as well?

Ladyshopper
25th February 2008, 16:38

If you get a free v room leaflet, don't hang about like I did. I tried to book in for mine the other day only to be told it was full, so a bit fed up with myself.

pollyanna_11
25th February 2008, 21:15
Whats the V room?

Ladyshopper
25th February 2008, 21:50
Bit like a lounge, but kids are welcome. Think you get free soft/hot drinks and snacks, there are playstations and stuff for kids.

pollyanna24
26th February 2008, 10:06
Wow, that V room sounds great. When I book, is it something I have to ask about or do I automatically get it?

I have received two lots of my vouchers, ?1,570 towards my hols so far.

Waiting for two more worth ?882, then I will finish off the piddly ones tomorrow and Thurs and then hopefully book next week! Can't wait.

Been looking at the links that I have been sent by private message, thanks guys!!

thin white duke
26th February 2008, 12:49
Hi, sorry if this question has been asked before, but when you order your virgin vouchers how long are they valid for?

Orlando2007
26th February 2008, 13:24
Valid for 6 months :)

thin white duke
26th February 2008, 14:27
Thanks

misscharlie
28th February 2008, 09:47
Has anyone ordered any vigin deals in the last week? How long have they taken to arrive?
x

pollyanna_11
28th February 2008, 14:18
Not Virgin, but I did order Cosmos and they came through within three working days. Was getting a bit worried because I had changed my mind about going with Cosmos and wanted to change to Virgin but understand the vouchers can be used for either.

Mind you, was reading this, this morning about Virgin http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/vir_atl.htm and it looks like their service has gone downhill. Anyone travelled with them recently? what were they like?

Kina
28th February 2008, 15:33
I travelled with them last December and they were fine. Nothing special, but the bigger baggage allowance, downtown disney check in and twilight check in at Gatwick are all pretty attractive perks. Plus the seat pitch is better than Monarch etc, you've got seat backs tvs and the meal wasn't too bad. Certainly nothing to complain about :)

However I have been toying with travelling with Cosmos next year but only if we upgrade (did Monarch economy to Florida in December 06 and it was hell!), because I prefer flying in Sandford airport. It took 2 hours from landing to driving out of Orlando airport last time, and we were travelling with a 9 month old and near 2 year old. We'd had to leave all jars of food on the plane so my little one was starving by the time we left the airport, found our villa and got some food. We're going into Orlando International again this December and I'm dreading it to be honest!

Maverick
28th February 2008, 15:37
Just travelled with virgin had bulkheas seats but any economy seat is hellish long haul, but the entertainment and service was good, the food appalling.

kittyminx
29th February 2008, 11:25
Has anyone ordered any vigin deals in the last week? How long have they taken to arrive?
x

Hi,

I ordered 2 lots last Saturday and they arrived on Tuesday, I've since ordered another 3 lots of samll amounts and I am hoping one will arrive today (at work so can't check) and the other 2 tomorrow.

HTH

kitx

bloaty
29th February 2008, 23:08
Hi,

I ordered 2 lots last Saturday and they arrived on Tuesday, I've since ordered another 3 lots of samll amounts and I am hoping one will arrive today (at work so can't check) and the other 2 tomorrow.

HTH

kitx

Hi

I ordered some last Sat and they arrived on Monday, ordered the rest on Tues and they arrived today.

Regards

Sylvia

sunnyp
2nd March 2008, 13:35
Quick question as I can't seem to find the answer..............

I am saving my points for a Virgin Holiday:
1.) Do they check the address on the vouchers? I have a clubcard in my name over two addresses (both legitimate as I have two homes) - can I use vouchers from both these accounts on one booking?
2.) Do all the vouchers have to be in one persons name? I would like to be able to use my fiance's vouchers as well when making the booking as we will be traveling together.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sunny

Maverick
2nd March 2008, 13:43
You can use vouchers in multiple names as long as everyone is travelling.
At the moment the addy situation is fine, BUT if they decide to do the postcode malarky that could change, but I cant see it happening with holidays as you could easily have multiple passengers at different addys.

SMARTY29A
6th April 2008, 17:09
if my vouchers date is nov 08 and i want to go on holiday april 09, when should i be ordering the deals vouchers to go on holiday/cuise?

lleck
6th April 2008, 17:38
if my vouchers date is nov 08 and i want to go on holiday april 09, when should i be ordering the deals vouchers to go on holiday/cuise?

as soon as you now what holiday you are booking, they are valid for 6 months once converted but obv you need to book your holiday asap for April 09 in case it sells out.

squitty
11th April 2008, 06:50
wrong place, sorry

sarmia
21st April 2008, 18:21
I have two account the one is my initial s and surname the other is sm and surname is that going to be a problem when booking if full names are printed??

Our*holiday*fund
21st April 2008, 18:27
I have two account the one is my initial s and surname the other is sm and surname is that going to be a problem when booking if full names are printed??

no one knows, all we can do is wait and see :(

sarmia
21st April 2008, 18:41
Ohh no, I dont mind postcodes just not initials, suppose could say one is from a credit card?????

sarmia
21st April 2008, 19:00
Another thing, just reading through the pages, on the online pages it has tax etc cant we pay for that using deals???

the_kid
22nd April 2008, 11:31
If I want to book a Virgin holiday, and the date I want to come back on has premium economy seats only as economy are all sold out, can I book this and pay for it with deals or do I have to book a holiday with economy only seats, so have to change my return date?

Cat
24th April 2008, 17:45
If I want to book a Virgin holiday, and the date I want to come back on has premium economy seats only as economy are all sold out, can I book this and pay for it with deals or do I have to book a holiday with economy only seats, so have to change my return date?

Think you will have to change your return date but you won't know for sure until you try to book it.

amanda22
24th April 2008, 17:50
Another thing, just reading through the pages, on the online pages it has tax etc cant we pay for that using deals???

Yes you can pay the tax with deals :)

sarmia
24th April 2008, 18:09
Yes you can pay the tax with deals :)

Thanks... phew!

the_kid
24th April 2008, 20:09
Think you will have to change your return date but you won't know for sure until you try to book it.

The strange thing about my return flight is that Virgin Atlantic have economy seats available to buy direct with them, but Virgin Holidays say there aren't any! Think I will bring this up when I book, as economy seats are clearly available.

Cat
25th April 2008, 00:04
The strange thing about my return flight is that Virgin Atlantic have economy seats available to buy direct with them, but Virgin Holidays say there aren't any! Think I will bring this up when I book, as economy seats are clearly available.

Virgin Holidays only have certain (very cheapest) class of economy ticket that they use for Holidays. Sometimes they also have class M ecomony seats available but these cost ?75 per adult, ?65 per child more each way. Virgin Atlantic is a seperate company and will have economy seats available normally long after VH have sold their allocation. Occasionally VH will get more seats so it's worth checking online a few times per day. You can use a site like seatcounter.com to give you an indication of how many seats in each class are available. When are you trying to return ?

the_kid
25th April 2008, 00:14
Thanks for the info, although I don't understand anything about the classes other than the usual economy, premium etc. I to get a flight from Los Angeles to Heathrow on 28 June...have checked seatcounter and there seems to be quite a few seats left, but I don't understand it properly to be honest.

Cat
25th April 2008, 17:35
Thanks for the info, although I don't understand anything about the classes other than the usual economy, premium etc. I to get a flight from Los Angeles to Heathrow on 28 June...have checked seatcounter and there seems to be quite a few seats left, but I don't understand it properly to be honest.

All the cheaper ecomony classes have no seats left on the 28th so I think what Virgin are telling you is correct.

Fudge
27th April 2008, 22:42
Posted as seperate thread

sonia.town
29th April 2008, 18:34
hi could someone please tell me is it best to change up vouchers for virgin deals in stages as you get them or all in one lot .
thank you in advance

Maverick
29th April 2008, 18:47
That depends on how many you are changing, I would keep the orders under ?500

sonia.town
29th April 2008, 19:18
thats great thank you

tyroleandancer
29th April 2008, 19:58
I have sent off for Virgin Delas on 6 different accounts over the last 2 weeks
All orders were over ?500 biggest was ?1400
All arrived within 2 days of the orders being placed on line
I did one at a time and waited for a set to arrive before ordering the next
They were all ordered thru the correct accounts.

katelina
3rd May 2008, 16:19
That depends on how many you are changing, I would keep the orders under ?500

When you say keep the orders under ?500 do you mean ?125 in Tesco vouchers ie ?500 in deals?
Sorry if I sound a bit thick but I just want to make sure I'm ready for everything........next year ;)

bloaty
5th May 2008, 16:25
Sorry, wrong place

one2escape
26th May 2008, 17:03
can you book a villa using the deal??

marmaliser
26th May 2008, 17:09
can you book a villa using the deal??Yes, well orlando Town houses 3,4 or 5 bedroom all with pools and garages.

polokingkeith
20th June 2008, 14:56
We're thinking of booking with Virgin for the first time when the August deals come out, possibly to Barbados. Rang for a quote last night just I wanted an idea how much this was going to cost and the guy I spoke to was very helpful, got a quote for ?5012 but the online price is different (obviously cos of the discount) should I just ignore the online discount and go by the full price? Will they include taxes etc with deals or will we pay cash for these?
Also the flight to Barbados is with BMI, NOT Virgin Atlantic which we are a little disappointed with, anyone flown long haul with BMI? What they like?

amanda22
20th June 2008, 15:02
Hi

Taxes will be included in the price and the price you pay will be the price on the website without the online discount. It was for me. Sorry I haven't a clue about BMI.:)

carolynn
20th June 2008, 15:24
I flew to Las Vegas with BMI from manchester. I thought it was much better than VS to be honest, and that's saying something as I flew VS in PE in the bubble. We did get bulkhead seats with BMI though, but I just thought the FS's were much friendlier, the entertainment better and the food 100 times better.

Tuckerpoo
23rd June 2008, 22:33
I booked with Virgin to Las Vegas on the 4th June and today it is showing as paid:) The girl I dealt with on the phone was really helpful. I paid for the Virgin lounge pass at Gatwick and return transport to my hotel in Vegas also with deals and she also would have taken deals for a flight seat upgrade. I have been to Vegas before and flown with Virgin and have always been very impressed with their cabin crew.

As an aside I ordered all my vouchers to exchange for Virgin deals at once. ?375 worth.

There is no way I could have afforded a hol this year, let alone Vegas if I hadn't found PTS. So for all the advice, giveaways, swaps and help everyone has given me, a heartfelt Thankyou:clap2::clap2::clap2:

All I need to find now is the money for spends:rolleyes:

ploppy
22nd July 2008, 16:12
I can't find anything relating to a minimum number of nights.:confused:

Would I be able to book just 3/4 nights for New York or Washington for example or is it minimum 7?
:)

M3chanical_animal
22nd July 2008, 18:45
I think its a minimum 7 night stay.

papworth
24th July 2008, 23:41
Say your holiday is ?1227 and you have 3 x ?500 vouchers what happens to the change? do you loose it??
If so, then it seems a good idea to change some Deals into Virgin vouchers in small amounts to make sure you have lots of 'change' when the holiday is paid for

pollyanna_11
25th July 2008, 05:54
To be honest I am not sure on this point, I think you lose it. I was lucky when I did mine that I had a lot of small amounts which meant i was just ?4 over.

Shimmer
25th July 2008, 12:58
xxx

Littlemissjojo
25th July 2008, 13:01
omg thats awful.

Surely they cant do that if it is their mistake and you are completely unaware there had been a mistake!!!

Definitely give them some grief, have you spoken to someone senior, supervisor or manager? What do they say?

nixx
25th July 2008, 13:05
That's appalling. Their mistake; they should honour the original price.

Shimmer
25th July 2008, 13:05
She was a lovely girl & said it was her fault but as virgin are making a loss on tesco vouchers they won't budge.

Polo
25th July 2008, 13:06
I would kick up a right stink thats awful - have you any proof of what they quoted and you paid originally, I'm sure ABTA would be interested, as I don't think they can do this....

Off to search for you now....what a pile of poo!!!!

shoppaholic45
25th July 2008, 13:07
gosh that terrible, they shouldn't be allowed to do that, i hope it gets sorted for you hun, :hug:

DaisyChain
25th July 2008, 13:07
I'm amazed they can do that Shimmer

Hope its not someone covering their back by fair means or foul

Take it you spoke to the most senior person you could ?

marie
25th July 2008, 13:09
I would definately speak to a manager, sounds like she is trying to sort it out as she made the mistake.

Shimmer
25th July 2008, 13:10
If I had, had more time to book a hoilday I would have called their bluff & said stick it. I just can't believe they are allowed to do this having sent through all the confirmation & documentaion. She said it had already been referred & it would do no good.

Shimmer
25th July 2008, 13:12
I would kick up a right stink thats awful - have you any proof of what they quoted and you paid originally, I'm sure ABTA would be interested, as I don't think they can do this....

Off to search for you now....what a pile of poo!!!!

I feel sick with myself for not doing prints at the time:mad:

Polo
25th July 2008, 13:17
http://www.abta.com/consumer-services

Right, start quoting from the above - look at the Here to help you Pdf file - page 9, talks about a legally binding contract once you have paid - I would go back to them with that - make sure you speak to a manager and put it in writing via recorded delivery.

Did you print out any of the original documentation showing the price? Might be an idea to tell them that you are going to have to tape all future conversations too...

I'm so cross for you and the kids, so can't imagine how mad you feel!

DaisyChain
25th July 2008, 13:19
Isn't there a copy in with your tickets etc or on other E Mails ?

I would still go as high as you can Shimmer before accepting it - I would ask for a copy of the T&Cs which specifically allow them to do this as you wish to take it further

mum2-2girls
25th July 2008, 13:21
OMG Shimmer. Surely they cant do that? I would def kick up a bit of a fuss.
Hope you get it sorted hun.

You sound like someone on a mission Polo.

Tabby
25th July 2008, 13:24
Oh shimmer thats terrible.:mad:
Take a look here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/your_rights/holiday.shtml
scroll down a bit and there is some info about extra charges added after the contract is made. I haven't time now to go through in detail but it is covered in the Package Travel, Package Holidays & Package Tours Regulations 1992.
I hope you can find some helpful information and I'd be interested to know if you do.

Polo
25th July 2008, 13:29
I am a women on a mission - am so flipping angry! Disgraceful behaviour on behalf of virgin.

Shimmer - it might be worth a phone call to abta, explain whats happened and ask their advice:

If you haven't been able to find the information you're looking for in this part of the site, please contact our Consumer Affairs department on 020 7637 2444, or write to

Consumer Affairs
ABTA Ltd
68-71 Newman Street
London W1T 3AH

Shimmer
25th July 2008, 13:30
I don't feel happy about doing anything until after the holiday - Tesco paronia! She started the conversaion by saying tesco had refused my vouchers on that particular deal by email (not sure there was any truth in that though) She also said Virgin only got ?10 back for every ?40 in vouchers so there was no chance of it being honoured:(

Polo
25th July 2008, 13:32
ooo Tabby, looks like Shimmer has a case (Copied and pasted from BBC website)

My tour operator is asking for a supplement charge, what can I do?

I booked a holiday and wedding in July last year, but now the tour operator is asking for a supplement charge, which works out at ?1,600. When I booked the holiday there was no mention of this, otherwise I wouldn't have booked the holiday. MR, Macclesfield

Check carefully the terms of your contract

It sounds as if the holiday you booked was a 'package' and therefore governed by the Package Travel, Package Holidays & Package Tours Regulations 1992. These require the price and any extra charges, such as embarkation fees, to be set out in the contract.

If a tour operator wishes to reserve the right to increase the price, this must be specified too. The regulations don't prescribe any maximum price increase, but only certain types of costs can be passed on. For example, variations in fuel prices, landing taxes, embarkation fees and exchange rates, and the organiser has to absorb the first two per cent of any increase.
Furthermore, no price increase is permitted within 30 days of departure dates, and where an increase is significant, a consumer may be entitled to withdraw.

Consequently, we suggest you check carefully the terms of your contract to see if it provides for a price increase and, if so, the reason for the price increase.

Shimmer - don't know your departure date, but you might be under the 30 day threshold?

andylaine
25th July 2008, 13:34
omg I cant believe theyve done this after you have paid for the holiday in full. surely they cant get away with this. it would be like Tesco's knocking at the door saying theyd made a mistake with the ham prices at Christmas and they wanted the extra money :eek:

I would definitely do what Polo has suggested and take it further, good luck and let us know what happens.

Shimmer
25th July 2008, 13:57
This is on the back of my E-Ticket.

http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=virginletterlw1.png

Click above

indy
25th July 2008, 13:59
i know its wrong of them but sometimes its best to have your holiday them argue your case iyswim if hol is pretty close that is
did she give you the opertunity to pay the difference in deals ?
did she say what the extra charge was for ?

baconbap
25th July 2008, 14:41
Found this in virgin holidays terms and conditions:

"For packages, changes in fees (including transportation costs, fuel costs, dues, taxes, fees such as landing taxes or embarkation/disembarkation fees at ports/airports and exchange rates) and services mean that the price of your travel arrangements may change after you have booked your holiday. However, there will be no change to the cost of your holiday within 30 days of departure."

I imagine if you can't get it sorted out through abta or whoever, then you could take them to the small claims court afterwards. Maybe make it plain you're paying under duress.

Tabby
25th July 2008, 14:42
Shimmer are Virgin saying that what you booked is not available under the terms and conditions of Clubcard Deals? I think you are only allowed to use Deals to book full price packages not anything discounted. Is your holiday a last minute special offer?

Dominic
25th July 2008, 15:16
Hi Shimmer, sorry to hear this. Can you clarify, did you mention Clubcard Deals when booking?

If so surely they haven't a leg to stand on. If not then sadly I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

Whether they can redeem them with Tesco or what they get is immaterial. It would be like a restaurant saying 'your bill was ?50, you have given us ?50 in Deals but we only get ?11.25 back and that doesn't cover the cost'!!

They don't only get 25% back from Tesco, they will get at least 50% as it seems this is the minimum that Deals partners get (have heard a lot of them that get that).

Keep us posted, think a few will be watching this thread!

Shimmer
25th July 2008, 15:24
Yes I mentioned deals, she took all the serials numbers! This is what has made no sense as I have also received tickets, luggage labels ect through the post. Also tracked online to make sure deals received which they were & O/S balance had changed to nil.

Dominic
25th July 2008, 15:25
What is your plan of action then Shimmer, ie phone abta, speak to a manager at Virgin or.....

I just think if you are going to do nothing thats a bit of a cop out really, no offence intended!

Shimmer
25th July 2008, 15:27
Shimmer are Virgin saying that what you booked is not available under the terms and conditions of Clubcard Deals? I think you are only allowed to use Deals to book full price packages not anything discounted. Is your holiday a last minute special offer?

I made it quite clear to her I was paying with deals & she took serial numbers & also went off to confirm with supervisor, we was on the phone for XX minutes! Last night she was honest & said it was her fault as she had quoted me a special but virgin still would'nt honour it.

lisa
25th July 2008, 15:36
She has admitted she was to blame, I would call again and speak to a Manager and threaten reporting them to ABTA, quoting some of the posts that have been put on here. I think that would be enough to make them back down, I would imagine that a fine from ABTA would be in excess of what they stand to lose should they not honour your price not to mention the bad publicity.

quick question - how can they cancel the holiday if you tickets have already been issued and you have them (they dont normally send out tickets until the full balance has been paid).

lisa
25th July 2008, 15:38
Personally if it was me, I would like to get it sorted before I went away, as it would play on my mind and could risk spoiling my holiday, but thats me!!
Best of luck whatever you decide to do :D

Shimmer
25th July 2008, 15:38
What is your plan of action then Shimmer, ie phone abta, speak to a manager at Virgin or.....

I just think if you are going to do nothing thats a bit of a cop out really, no offence intended!

As per previous post nothing until after the holiday. I have made it quite clear to them how I feel in the letter I sent them recorded delivery today. I am not happy about being treated like this, infact I think it's a disgraceful way to run a business. If holiday had been say 3 months away I would'nt have been so flexible. Quite clearly if I had paid for a holiday without using vouchers they would not have asked for the difference for their error, they would have honoured it.

TBH if I had not received confirmation online & through the post I would have 'took it on the chin'

Hummer
25th July 2008, 15:39
Shimmer did you buy and pay for a mega deal and now they want the difference in price?

Shimmer
25th July 2008, 15:43
She has admitted she was to blame, I would call again and speak to a Manager and threaten reporting them to ABTA, quoting some of the posts that have been put on here. I think that would be enough to make them back down, I would imagine that a fine from ABTA would be in excess of what they stand to lose should they not honour your price not to mention the bad publicity.

quick question - how can they cancel the holiday if you tickets have already been issued and you have them (they dont normally send out tickets until the full balance has been paid).

Balance had been paid in full that's why they sent ticket, that's what's baffled me. How can they then change their minds:confused:

Dominic
25th July 2008, 15:44
Interesting, we are all different. I am with Lisa, I would want to get it sorted before going. It would just niggle me the whole time and I'd have half a mind on the argument to come and the fact I had been short changed by their mistake. If you can switch off and forget it then good on you but I know I couldn't.

I'd phone ABTA for advice, then phone Virgin and speak to a manager. You might resolve it and then feel so much better. I reckon they probably just tried it on (maybe the girl realised her mistake and was keeping her fingers crossed you'd cave in).

Like I say each to their own, it is after all your holiday and your money you've effectively lost!

Shimmer
25th July 2008, 15:45
Shimmer did you buy and pay for a mega deal and now they want the difference in price?

Yes it looks like that, but that is their fault:confused:how do I know what deal can & can't be used I stressed to her using deals & supervisor said it's fine.

Shimmer
25th July 2008, 15:50
Interesting, we are all different. I am with Lisa, I would want to get it sorted before going. It would just niggle me the whole time and I'd have half a mind on the argument to come and the fact I had been short changed by their mistake. If you can switch off and forget it then good on you but I know I couldn't.

I'd phone ABTA for advice, then phone Virgin and speak to a manager. You might resolve it and then feel so much better. I reckon they probably just tried it on (maybe the girl realised her mistake and was keeping her fingers crossed you'd cave in).

Like I say each to their own, it is after all your holiday and your money you've effectively lost!

Of course it's driving me mad & I think they was just trying it on but I don't have time on my side & I have to think about the kids. If I did'nt agree to pay they said they would cancel holiday that minute & return the deals first class in the morning.

Melc234
25th July 2008, 15:59
I would phone back and say your contacting media about it. Its amazing what the threat of bad publicity can do. Tell them that extra money was part of your holiday spends for the kids. Good luck, most importantly have a good holiday:)

Dominic
25th July 2008, 16:00
Of course it's driving me mad & I think they was just trying it on but I don't have time on my side & I have to think about the kids. If I did'nt agree to pay they said they would cancel holiday that minute & return the deals first class in the morning.

I'm not suggesting you didn't pay it, I'm saying I would be trying to resolve it before I went otherwise it would be festering (for me) and spoil my holiday. In fact I would have taken it higher before agreeing to pay it but even now you have ABTA and senior management to go to so just curious why you are leaving it!

I am like a dog with a bone on such things and can't understand people who aren't!!!!

DaisyChain
25th July 2008, 17:16
Shimmer, it really sounds as if a little team has got together to bully you into sorting out their cock up. Threatening to send the deals back if you don't comply is blackmail. With tickets in hand, I very much doubt they should have done anything.

Take it higher, hun.