PDA

View Full Version : Advice For Haven Holiday Park

penfold
10th February 2007, 20:22
Going to be booking a holiday through Haven this summer for camping/poss caravan hire and was planning on trying one of the Welsh ones, either Greenacres or Presthaven sands.

There will be 2 families, our DD will be 2 and the others have 7yr old twin boys. Both are outdoor loving and not really into the 'evening entertainment' scene...more simply sitting drinking a few bottles in the evening chatting. Clubs and plenty of things to do during the day for the kids would be good (even better if things nearby accept deals vouchers :D )

Anyone got any recommendations on the two?

dinkydoo
10th February 2007, 20:28
I'm going to Greenacres in June, haven't been before but have heard good things about it from quite a few people.

Hope it is good. :)

SuzyWoo
10th February 2007, 21:03
I know it's not one of your two but we had a lovely weekend at Hafen y mor.

penfold
10th February 2007, 21:11

Actually, looking at the Haven website, this one may be back on the cards.....makes the choice even harder now :D

SuzyWoo
10th February 2007, 21:16
We're booking a week at Church Farm near Chichester as soon as we get our vouchers!

LoveABargain
10th February 2007, 21:16
I would definitely say either Greenacres or Hafen-y-mor rather than prestatyn sands. I haven't stayed in any of them - but going purely on location Greenacres and Hafen y mor are in a much nicer part of n wales for exploring and days out etc. and more to do than prestatyn.

IMO Prestatyn is a bit tired and shabby and there are nicer parts to stay in N wales- go further along the coast it's definitely worth it :)

penfold
10th February 2007, 21:19
I would definitely say either Greenacres or Hafen-y-mor rather than prestatyn sands. I haven't stayed in any of them - but going purely on location Greenacres and Hafen y mor are in a much nicer part of n wales for exploring and days out etc. and more to do than prestatyn.

IMO Prestatyn is a bit tired and shabby and there are nicer parts to stay in N wales- go further along the coast it's definitely worth it :)

Thats good to know....its hard when you look at a map to know what an area is like :o

Sounds like I can score Prestatyn off the list :)

Sarah
10th February 2007, 21:19
why not try west wales, tenby or saunsersfoot, lots to do its in the national park national park, also lots of parks nearby to keep kids happy lots of castles etc

Mamzie
10th February 2007, 21:29
We found prestatyn only had a basic small pool, while the pools at Hafan mor were great - more like a butlins (which of course it used to be..),large pool, good size toddler pool, deep play pool with private slide, huge slides in the big pool.. I can't quite be sure but there may have been waves as well..

I liked the big romper room there for toddlers, but didn't like the fact the pubs were quite spread out. Def go back there again through.

I don't think we'd go back to Prestayn, it was ok but...

Mamzie
10th February 2007, 21:30
Ohhh, Penfold, I'm going to jump on your thread too.

Has anyone been to Burnham on Sea as we're thinking of a short break there - kids are Rory mad and it would be fab to find one we liked less than 2 hrs drive away from us.

LoveABargain
10th February 2007, 21:31
Thats good to know....its hard when you look at a map to know what an area is like :o

Sounds like I can score Prestatyn off the list :)

Someone will probably come along now and :kev: saying how nice it is - it's just we always do loads of days out up the n wales coast in the summer and only every drive past the signs for prestatyn....... never stop I think that says it all.

If you do stay in Greenacres/hafenymor Barmouth is nearby and is a lovely place, portmeiron is near too where they filmed the 60's tv show the prisoner (not sure if v kiddie friendly thou) but is new to use Tesco deals thou :rolleyes: , Anglesey sea zoo (sure that's on tesco deals too), Caernafon castle, there's also a kiddies outdoor adventure park with an eco friendly roller coaster - never been but always want to go every year, you could also visit Welsh mountain zoo near Llandudno (tesco deals too) :)

zoot
10th February 2007, 21:33
Been to Havan Y Mor. Had a good time, kids loved the pool and play areas. Going back at easter. Seemed a bit shabby from an adults point of view and needed tidying up around the play areas and pool changing rooms but they may have done that over the winter anyway. Greenacres is a smaller site. not been to Prestatyn.

SuzyWoo
11th February 2007, 07:16
We alway use Haven as a base and still go off site loads. There were pleny of places to visit near Hafen y mor - the rabbit farm was great!

DisneyPirate
11th February 2007, 12:15
Well I live in Prestatyn and as far as considering it for a vacation I would avoid it like the plague! The main reason to visit Wales is for the beautiful coastline and the scenery, and there are far better places for this experience than Prestatyn, which has in its favour a lovely beach, but not much else. It is also far to close to Rhyl (which is a complete nightmare) for comfort. I would either head inland towards Snowdonia National Park, or go further down the coast towards Conwy, Anglesey, Lleyn Peninsula, West Coast etc.

ploverpalace
11th February 2007, 16:27
Went to Greenacres a few yrs ago, and it was lovely, the beach is amazing and the pool was lovely.

gwillymsarah
11th February 2007, 18:28
i always go to kiln parc in tenby. its lovely there for the kids and i find tenby a relaxing place to be, puls its not to far from oakwood parc and folly farm, the kids love them there for a day out.

ohsobusy
11th February 2007, 19:05

Has anyone been to Burnham on Sea as we're thinking of a short break there - kids are Rory mad and it would be fab to find one we liked less than 2 hrs drive away from us.

Ooh we're going in June for a week. I would love to know what it;s like too. :)

penfold
11th February 2007, 19:39
Thanks for all your help folks....now got a shortlist between Hafan Mor, Greenacres and New Quay now :D :rolleyes: ....decisions, decisions!!

dinkydoo
11th February 2007, 20:17
Ooh we're going in June for a week. I would love to know what it;s like too. :)

Its one of the smaller sites but very nice. Lots of places to visit nearby, Wookey Hole, Cricket St Thomas, Weston Super Mare and Bristol & Bath are not very far away (about 20/30 minute drive) :)

suziq
12th February 2007, 09:52
greenacres is lovely. nice clean park, beach is fab, been a few times. we are doing tenby this year, ty mr t! we both ent as children ands are equally excited as the kids!
prestatyn. only stayed once whilst doing bike training weekend, too big, dull and not very sparkling ata ll

littleange_com
12th February 2007, 13:29
I am from North Wales, and would also say that appart from the Rhyl/Prestatyn area everywhere is quite nice :D

snowball2
12th February 2007, 18:44
hafan y mor is far better for kids IMO the pool is a large and kid friendly, Pwllheli is a bit tired and tatty but local beaches at abersoch & aberdaron are lovely.

Caernarfon & greenwood adventure park are close by, both are well worth a visit.

porthmadoc (greenacres - havent stayed on this site) is great if the weather is fine as it sits on black rock sands which is a fantasic long golden beach. porthmadoc has a few shops and the Ffestiniog Railway, slate mines (can be visited by the railway), portmerion a short drive down the road is very family freindly, children of all ages can enjoy a visit there.

I live in north wales and there is plenty to do around the area.

we are going to bryn owen nr aberystwyth this time, been to aberystwth before and really enjoyed the whole area (and some of the best fish and chips we've ever had!) lots to do in the area.

i think you will have a good time at either park.

Only thing about Haven is that the club house is a total rip off, steer clear of the lakeside inn resturant at hafan y mor the food and service was terrible.

cerys
12th February 2007, 20:01
Hi
We went to Greenacres a while ago and really enjoyed it.

cerys
12th February 2007, 20:03

Hi Mamzie, I went to Burnham a few summers ago andhad a good time. Someone I know owned a caravan there and used to go most weekends. They always said it was good

penfold
12th February 2007, 20:03
Still can't make up mind between Greenacres anf Hafan......might go bend my friends ear as well.....she's from Wales so she MUST have an opinion where she wants to go!!!!!:rolleyes:

zoot
12th February 2007, 21:16
we are going to bryn owen nr aberystwyth this time, been to aberystwth before and really enjoyed the whole area (and some of the best fish and chips we've ever had!) lots to do in the area.

Only thing about Haven is that the club house is a total rip off, steer clear of the lakeside inn resturant at hafan y mor the food and service was terrible.

I went to Brynowen every year growing up (2 or 3 times some years) we had the happiest times there and I have great memories of the site and Borth village. I know it must have changed a lot in what must be at least 15 years since I have been but it used to be fantastic. Its definately a long established site anyway.

Totally agree about the food at Hafan Y Mor.. We ate there on our first evening on site last year and I was sick during the night as a result of the terrible food.

Hummer
30th April 2007, 15:30
Haven Holidays, I want to pay in full in deals vouchers any advise.

Any warnings or things to look out for.

Whats the booking procedure I presume you call up on the phone read out your vouchers codes etc and post them off? If so how long till you know they have been processed normally.

SuzyWoo
30th April 2007, 15:36
You get an e-mail confirmation almost immediately (if you choose) then another one once your vouchers have been received.

Brochure price only, can't think of anything else. The guy I spoke to was lovely and even had a chat to DD on the phone (she HAS to talk to whoever I talk to on the phone!).

Grinder
30th April 2007, 15:43
Yeh it was really easy to do.. just had to pay the ?10 linen deposit on my card.. choose to do it there and then rather than when I get there.. after I sent the vouchers I got a confirmation email very very quickly :)

SuzyWoo
30th April 2007, 15:45
Ooh yes, forgot the deposit on linen!

Hummer
30th April 2007, 15:58
So when you book is the indoor pool pass included or do you have to buy that when you get there? Or is it not like that anymore is eveything included now?

Grinder
30th April 2007, 15:59
So when you book is the indoor pool pass included or do you have to buy that when you get there? Or is it not like that anymore is eveything included now?

Everything is included :) or it is at Devon Cliffs anyway :)

Jules_2005
30th April 2007, 16:02
When/where are you planning on going Hummer ?

SuzyWoo
30th April 2007, 16:03
It's all included as part of the price you pay. There's only a charge for passes (I believe) when you book caravans privately on parks.

Hummer
30th April 2007, 16:12
Ah gotcha yes we used to book private.

Thinking of going to Greenacres, sometime after the babys born. But just looking at other sites too. Personally I just love greenacres but might go to the west cost as I have never been or the lakes.

My parent do have to take my gran down to cornwall so may look at something for them.

I would think we might go August?

Jules_2005
30th April 2007, 16:17
I'm hopefully going in June providing the school gives me permisson to take the kids out. I'll be 1 day over the 10 day allowable quota - oops. We're staying in Cornwall (not haven) for a week and then looking to go to a haven for the 2nd week.

Grinder
30th April 2007, 16:19
Ah gotcha yes we used to book private.

Thinking of going to Greenacres, sometime after the babys born. But just looking at other sites too. Personally I just love greenacres but might go to the west cost as I have never been or the lakes.

My parent do have to take my gran down to cornwall so may look at something for them.

I would think we might go August?

We are making the 100 mile trip to Devon Cliffs in the beginning of August.. ?820 in total..

SuzyWoo
30th April 2007, 16:22
Hummer, personally I would make the most of not having to go during the summer holidays whilst you still can! If you went the first week of September it would be a lot quieter and cheaper.

zoot
30th April 2007, 16:49
Just remember you dont need to go for the cancellation insurance they offer you because it does not cover your deal vouchers anyway.
Have a good time.
We all love Haven in my house. Went over Easter.

Hummer
30th April 2007, 17:10
Hummer, personally I would make the most of not having to go during the summer holidays whilst you still can! If you went the first week of September it would be a lot quieter and cheaper.

Was thinking August for the weather.

But Septmeber may work out better for the baby anyway.

Thinking about booking a 6 week slot if they do it, that way I can have a nice long break and my parents can come down at the weekends and bring me more stock as I see no reason why I cannot run my business whilst I am away. And perhaps maybe go home for a week in the middle and leave my parents there.

Can't do anything till I get my vouchers.

Mamzie
30th April 2007, 17:15
You pay for the caravan not the people, so put everyones names down as going that may want to stay as then they will have their own funpasses too..

We always get a Gold caravan as then the beds are made up for you, and we list 8 names even if theres only us 4 going so my stepkids or parents can pop in for the weekend if they feel like it..

The clothes storage is so little that you may want to get a 3 bedroom, rather than a 2 as its not that much more expensive..

Grinder do you still pay extra for the spa at Devon Cliffs???

Hummer
30th April 2007, 17:19
You pay for the caravan not the people, so put everyones names down as going that may want to stay as then they will have their own funpasses too..

We always get a Gold caravan as then the beds are made up for you, and we list 8 names even if theres only us 4 going so my stepkids or parents can pop in for the weekend if they feel like it..

The clothes storage is so little that you may want to get a 3 bedroom, rather than a 2 as its not that much more expensive..

Oh a gold caravan thats what I want.
Thanks for clarifying the question on extra guest brilliant.

Hummer
30th April 2007, 17:20
So does anyone have a favorite HAven loacation? and why?

SuzyWoo
30th April 2007, 17:21
I'm off to Church Farm near Chichester, not been before, but lived not too far away and it's supposedly an award winner - small but that's great for us.

Grinder
30th April 2007, 17:26

yeh i think you do but as thats not my kinda thing not to worried..

Grinder
30th April 2007, 17:27
So does anyone have a favorite HAven loacation? and why?

I've been to quite a few in the South West and like Devon Cliffs the best as it is massive and has lots to do and Exmouth has an ok beach and Exeter and Torquay are not too far away for some shopping!!

ohsobusy
30th April 2007, 18:20

We've got a Silver caravan at Burnham on Sea in June. I thought that Gold couldn't have up to 8 and that Silver was the biggest 8 berth caravan you could get. Would have liked Gold or Platinum but the brochure said they were for a max of 6.

coraastbury
30th April 2007, 18:23
We went to Greenacres last year, but took our own touring caravan. We had a brilliant week and didn't want to come home. You will love it. My kids adored it but they are 6 & 2 and into Rory and Anxious!!!!

Would love to go back, going to Benidorm this year and Egypt again next Feb with vouchers so will look at saving again for it for next summer.

Mamzie
30th April 2007, 20:17
We've got a Silver caravan at Burnham on Sea in June. I thought that Gold couldn't have up to 8 and that Silver was the biggest 8 berth caravan you could get. Would have liked Gold or Platinum but the brochure said they were for a max of 6.

Nope, you can def book gold for 8 people, but its a pull out settee in the living room, not a 4th bedroom.. I even just rechecked online in case it had changed.. I've not gone platinum (yet) so not sure about them..

Its a good tip to use all your places up even if they are not really going, as then they can't put you in a smaller bedded caravan which they did to us at Prestatyn Sands one year. They gave us a 2 1/2 bedroom instead of a proper 3 bedder, as we had only put 5 people and an infant (infants didn't count they told me..)

Hummer
30th April 2007, 22:00
I am very glad i asked now there are a few good tips.

I went to greenacres my hole life as a kid and i loved it and thats before there was anything there they didnt have a pool or anything like that.

Go platinum :eek:
Off to read what you get I missed the catagories

whamfanuk
30th April 2007, 22:03
i've just come back from one of those free holidays, saw the 'bronze' van and decided to upgrade to a sea view gold for ?50 and was the best ?50 i have spent in a long while

Hummer
30th April 2007, 22:05
i've just come back from one of those free holidays, saw the 'bronze' van and decided to upgrade to a sea view gold for ?50 and was the best ?50 i have spent in a long while

Sea view another thing Id like. :clap2:

ukdrummajor
30th April 2007, 23:46
Yeh it was really easy to do.. just had to pay the ?10 linen deposit on my card.. choose to do it there and then rather than when I get there.. after I sent the vouchers I got a confirmation email very very quickly :)

i sent my parents to hafyn y mor in march............didn`t pay linen deposit seperate, it came as part of the deals package. Therefore on leaving got ?10 cash back in my hand! (i picked them up!)

bluwkd
1st May 2007, 00:32
been to perran/riviere sands in cornwall, and weymouth bay.. yrs ago tho wen kids were younger!

booked a hol for my son and his family, was going to use my cc vouchers but used a money off code which deducted ?330 from cost of silver caravan, ended up paying ?334 for it

dinkydoo
1st May 2007, 07:21

Mamzie, unfortunately you do have to pay extra for the Spa. Very nice though, went for a couple of pamper treats whilst I was down there last year.

I love Devon Cliffs, also been to Perran Sands and Littlesea. Going to Tenby in June for the first time so hope its ok there.

suefone
1st May 2007, 08:23
i love these threads about hoildays, i could listen allday to people chatting about were they are going on holiday,:) i cant wait for mine ,my ideal job would be working in a travel agents:p

Scottishnellie
1st May 2007, 09:27

I do the opposite! We always get a 2 bed as the caravans are exactly the same size when its gold, they are just fitted out differently. So you either get 3 tiny rooms with hardly any wardrobe space, or you get 2 large rooms with plenty of wardrobe space. Unless you will definitely be having visitors I'd go for 2 bed. ;)

ninja_ang
1st May 2007, 09:41
Mamzie, unfortunately you do have to pay extra for the Spa. Very nice though, went for a couple of pamper treats whilst I was down there last year.

I love Devon Cliffs, also been to Perran Sands and Littlesea. Going to Tenby in June for the first time so hope its ok there.

What did you think of Perran sands we are off there in 3 weeks time!
xxx

katyj
1st May 2007, 10:04
I have some Haven passes for caister, no one ever checks the date on the back at the reception, so if anyone wants to borrow them, let me know. you should always keep then for the season as most can be used at different sites

taffyswife
1st May 2007, 10:24
We stayed in a silver caravan @ Seashore in Great Yarmouth last September -it was a fabulous caravan - even had an en-suite bathroom!!

It look out onto the racecourse - so we sat and watched the races in the afternoon.

Have also stayed at Holburn Naish near New Milton - fantastic views over the Solent - brilliant park as well.

penfold
1st May 2007, 10:49
we would have to book a bronze caravan due to taking the dog...has anyone ever stayed in one of these?

Grinder
1st May 2007, 10:59
we would have to book a bronze caravan due to taking the dog...has anyone ever stayed in one of these?

I did a while back due to parents having dog aswell.. they are usually just an older caravan that they dont mind getting dog hairs in..

penfold
1st May 2007, 11:03
I did a while back due to parents having dog aswell.. they are usually just an older caravan that they dont mind getting dog hairs in..

thanks grinder, thats kind of what I thought....I wouldn't want my dog in a new caravan either :rolleyes:

Grinder
1st May 2007, 11:10
thanks grinder, thats kind of what I thought....I wouldn't want my dog in a new caravan either :rolleyes:

No worries, we have gone for a silver one for this August as it was about the price I was looking to spend out of my vouchers..

Hummer
1st May 2007, 12:11
i sent my parents to hafyn y mor in march............didn`t pay linen deposit seperate, it came as part of the deals package. Therefore on leaving got ?10 cash back in my hand! (i picked them up!)

Oh i had a look at this last night as they do half board which means more for my Tesco vouchers no food required.

Dont suppose you could tell me a little about the site worst bits best bits or anything?

Anyone else been Half board?

kirsjude
1st May 2007, 12:29
Oh i had a look at this last night as they do half board which means more for my Tesco vouchers no food required.

Dont suppose you could tell me a little about the site worst bits best bits or anything?

I stayed at Hafyn Y Mor about 6 years ago. We were half board and stayed in a chalet.

Can't remeber too much about it to be honest but we all had a great time and food was good with plenty of choices.

SuzyWoo
1st May 2007, 12:52
We were in a Gold caravan 2 years ago, our friends were in a chalet, have to say the caravan was far nicer, we all said so. They cost abut the same, but they had half board. I suppose it's swings and roundabouts, they did have their brekkie cooked for them!

time out
1st May 2007, 13:05
HUMMER, the only advice I can give you is to make sure you is to get your vouchers from Tesco?s first. I phoned and got a price, then ordered my vouchers from Tesco?s, they arrived three days later. I phoned back to book but the price had changed, so I ordered more, did the same again three days later and the price had changed again so I had to pay ?89.00 on my card just so I didn?t miss out! Were going to Caister, half board in July, we can?t wait!

time out
1st May 2007, 13:07
This is the first time we?ve gone half board, is it any good?

Grinder
1st May 2007, 13:08
This is the first time we?ve gone half board, is it any good?

I go 1/2 board with Butlins and that is great :)

Mamzie
1st May 2007, 19:36
I do the opposite! We always get a 2 bed as the caravans are exactly the same size when its gold, they are just fitted out differently. So you either get 3 tiny rooms with hardly any wardrobe space, or you get 2 large rooms with plenty of wardrobe space. Unless you will definitely be having visitors I'd go for 2 bed. ;)

good point I never realised that, but you can get extra funpasses with the 3 bedroom, and a spare small room with beds in for washing, toys, arguments....

Didn't I read you could add half board to booking a caraven when I've looked at a brochure..

I'm debating Burnum on sea during summer hols as well, anyone been there?

We went to Devon Cliffs easter 2005, I only remember the big kids pool not a deep swimming one, did I miss one? I really Hafan Mor, that was our first Havan holiday.. So I am tempted to go back.. Its no good, I'm going to need to find my brochure again!!

Grinder
1st May 2007, 19:41
good point I never realised that, but you can get extra funpasses with the 3 bedroom, and a spare small room with beds in for washing, toys, arguments....

Didn't I read you could add half board to booking a caraven when I've looked at a brochure..

I'm debating Burnum on sea during summer hols as well, anyone been there?

We went to Devon Cliffs easter 2005, I only remember the big kids pool not a deep swimming one, did I miss one? I really Hafan Mor, that was our first Havan holiday.. So I am tempted to go back.. Its no good, I'm going to need to find my brochure again!!

I think that only a few Havens offer half board...

There is the big indoor pool and a few outdoor ones and the slides both indoor and out..

Mamzie
1st May 2007, 19:53
Its Caister, Hafan Mor, and craig tara I think that do half board...

But I thought that like with Butlins you could add the half price cost to a caravan cost, iyswim.. We alway get a bungalow at Butlins and add the 1/2 board on top you see.. I like access to a kitchen for dds food..

That explains the pools at Devon Cliffs, it was a bit cold for outside at Easter, but dd was 3 then and adored the big kiddie slide/shower thingy..

We are off to Butlins Minehead in June and have paid a fortune for one of their wooden lodges, which is actually a disguised Havan caravan..

ukdrummajor
1st May 2007, 20:08

I went last year and i`ve been this year. This year they`ve re-done the kids showbar layout and the bar is a lot better! The indoor pool with huge slides is great, The go-karts are good, theres a few nature walks within the site (v good) and absolutely loads for the kids to do. They push the flashy necklaces and finger things too much and also the family bingo and raffles for the big cuddly bears etc...but, their a business and there to make money.

Downside for me is sometimes not quite being able to make yourself clear to some of the staff if you have reason for something to be changed. They employ a lot of seasonal workers who are not always brilliant at understanding some normal sayings phrases etc..Just ask for a manager if in doubt and they always sort things asap.

zoot
1st May 2007, 20:11
We are off to Butlins Minehead in June and have paid a fortune for one of their wooden lodges, which is actually a disguised Havan caravan..[/QUOTE]

Mamzie we are going to Butlins Minehead May half term mon - fri
Staying in a gold appartmant like we did last year. The one we had last time was fab..we had a sea view (although it was 3rd floor) but was right on the edge of the site and really quiet for the children at night.
While he was eating his tea tonight DS2 (3yrs) looked all thoughtful and said Mom...I want to go to Butlins!

Hummer it was Hafan Y Mor we went to over easter. They have recently done out all the bar and stage area where they have the character shows and it was a big improvement to how it was last year. The swimming pool is good, with a little shallow kiddie area, and generally the site was really tidy although it could do with a touch of pain here and there. We had a gold caravan which had heating in the bedrooms and bathroom which was really cosy, but we did not do the half board because of all the issues DS1 has with food.

zoot
1st May 2007, 20:13
Im slow at typing, repeated what you have already said ukdrummajor!

zoot
1st May 2007, 20:14
We had a problem with the heater in the bathroom but as it was not that cold thought we would not mention it but on our first morning a member of staff came round to ask if it was all ok or if we had any problems so we told him. Within a couple of hours it was fixed.

Mamzie
1st May 2007, 20:16

yippee, I just managed to find my brochure.. Its silly aparently in the brochure theres only 6 berth golds for short breaks, yet if you book for a week they show gold caravans which sleeps 8...

Grinder
1st May 2007, 20:21
They have always sorted out any issues we have had straight away :) They even turned a blind eye when 15 rugby players turned up.. lol

penfold
1st May 2007, 20:37
They have always sorted out any issues we have had straight away :) They even turned a blind eye when 15 rugby players turned up.. lol

15 rugby players....that must have been a cosy caravan ;)

Mamzie
1st May 2007, 21:13
With Hafan Mor, we stayed in the Rory caravans near the broadwalk/pool bit i think. I remember that we needed to drive from them up and down a hill to where there was a show... Is that still the same, and approx how far is it. I had serious walking difficuties when we went the first time, but I'm a lot better now (not 100%, but able to move easier..).

Also there was a fab soft play romper room - huge.. Is that still there??

Mamzie we are going to Butlins Minehead May half term mon - fri
Staying in a gold appartmant like we did last year. The one we had last time was fab..we had a sea view (although it was 3rd floor) but was right on the edge of the site and really quiet for the children at night.
While he was eating his tea tonight DS2 (3yrs) looked all thoughtful and said Mom...I want to go to Butlins!

Minehead is great Zoot, althrough I wouldn't have coped with a 3rd floor apartment. We used to ask for ground floor, and then moved to getting the silver plus bungalows. those are lovely, plus we always asked for the ones next to the car park and then we unpack the car through the bedroom window..

moonriver
1st May 2007, 21:17

Is there a haven in Tenby that can be used with the deals?
Tenby is wonderful. We used to go every year when the kids were little.

Mamzie
1st May 2007, 21:20
Kiln Park is in Tenby , Gwillymsarah has been there I think..

dinkydoo
1st May 2007, 21:20
What did you think of Perran sands we are off there in 3 weeks time!
xxx

Its a nice site Ninja, we have been there twice now. We stayed in a Gold caravan and can't fault it really, nice clean site.

Hope you have a good time!

dinkydoo
1st May 2007, 21:27
Just thought if you get chance go to Flambards its a good day out, and you can convert cc vouchers for tickets. Also, if its raining theres a really good indoor play area in St Austell which isn't far away, I think it was called Bens or Bens World, its massive and quite cheap as well.

Hope I haven't jinxed it now by mentioning rain, lol.

taffyswife
1st May 2007, 22:29
Is there a haven in Tenby that can be used with the deals?
Tenby is wonderful. We used to go every year when the kids were little.

Kiln Park is a large site on the outskirts of Tenby - I think you can also stay at Lydstep, which is about 5 - 10 mins from Tenby.

I love Tenby - Taffy is from there.

dinkydoo
1st May 2007, 22:35
Excellent, I'm off to Kiln Park in June.:)

moonriver
1st May 2007, 23:06
Kiln Park is a large site on the outskirts of Tenby - I think you can also stay at Lydstep, which is about 5 - 10 mins from Tenby.

I love Tenby - Taffy is from there.

and can you pay with Tesco deals?

Mamzie
1st May 2007, 23:10
yep, its a haven site,

taffyswife
1st May 2007, 23:14
You can also use your deals vouchers at Folly Farm, it is five minutes drive from Tenby- it is great for kids.

They have an old steam fun fair, farm animals & some small wild animals, climbing frames, and an enormous indoor play area.

moonriver
1st May 2007, 23:16
You can also use your deals vouchers at Folly Farm, it is five minutes drive from Tenby- it is great for kids.

They have an old steam fun fair, farm animals & some small wild animals, climbing frames, and an enormous indoor play area.

all mine used to love Folly Farm- I can heartily recommend Tenby and Folly Farm

ukdrummajor
1st May 2007, 23:28
[QUOTE=Mamzie;133323]

QUOTE]

Its been moved. Not in the Boardwalk anymore. Can`t say for sure where its been moved too, some lady did tell me but i`ve forgot!

Mamzie
1st May 2007, 23:32
It was well hidden in a seperate building behind the boardwalk building I think.. There was a music room, and messy room then as well...

suziq
2nd May 2007, 07:15
i'm gong to kiln park in july, did tenby for years as a kid, so more excited than the kids about going!

Grinder
2nd May 2007, 07:19
Just thought if you get chance go to Flambards its a good day out, and you can convert cc vouchers for tickets. Also, if its raining theres a really good indoor play area in St Austell which isn't far away, I think it was called Bens or Bens World, its massive and quite cheap as well.

Hope I haven't jinxed it now by mentioning rain, lol.

Flambards is a good day out for the kids.. we've got an annual pass and plan to use it at less once a month.. The Bens playworld is next to Par Indoor Market which is BIG!!

Tabby
2nd May 2007, 08:42
We used to do Sun holidays to Haven Parks when the kids were little and they were always good. I know that sometimes things are a little rough around the edges with Caravans and it can be a bit chilly in the mornings but otherwise they're ideal.
We liked the Dorset Parks - although my favourite (Chesil Beach) is no longer Haven. Torquay was good too but Hastings and Mablethorpe were a bit too big and I thought they were not as relaxing.
My OH has got a bit fed up with Caravans as he is very tall and they aren't designed for people of his height. We tend to book cottages/apartments now for OH's comfort but I would love to do what you are considering Hummer and have a whole Summer by the beach with family members coming and going. It sounds great!

Jules_2005
2nd May 2007, 09:21
Flambards is a good day out for the kids.. we've got an annual pass and plan to use it at less once a month.. The Bens playworld is next to Par Indoor Market which is BIG!!

Par market is great, picked up a few bargains last year. Ben's playworld is near the top of the kids list to go to again this year as is Lappa valley Steam Railway and me and DH are escaping for the day (without kids) to the Eden project.

I haven't taken the kids to Flambards. Is it suitable for kids aged 6,5 and 3 ? If so I'll convert some vouchers.

Edit just realised the 6 year old will be 7 just before we go away

rabiddog
2nd May 2007, 09:24
We went to the Marton Mere park (near Blackpool) at Easter and can recommend it. Also had gold caravan and can definitely recommend that.

I spoke to a couple of operators when booking. The first quoted me the full 'no discounts' price as per the Tesco vouchers t&c. I said I would consider it and come back to them. Rang back later and got someone else who quoted me a price including the early bird discount (either 10% or 25% can't remember). Needless to say I grabbed it straight away. Moral is, when you get to the booking stage, it's worth trying two or three times to see if anyone misquotes you.

ninja_ang
2nd May 2007, 10:44
We've already got vouchers changed up for Flambards, have our yearly pass for eden project and will definately be going to ben's playworld, we went last year and ds loved it, and as you say it is really cheap!
xxx

zoot
2nd May 2007, 14:06
With Hafan Mor, we stayed in the Rory caravans near the broadwalk/pool bit i think. I remember that we needed to drive from them up and down a hill to where there was a show... Is that still the same, and approx how far is it. I had serious walking difficuties when we went the first time, but I'm a lot better now (not 100%, but able to move easier..).

Minehead is great Zoot, althrough I wouldn't have coped with a 3rd floor apartment. We used to ask for ground floor, and then moved to getting the silver plus bungalows. those are lovely, plus we always asked for the ones next to the car park and then we unpack the car through the bedroom window..

HAVEN
The Rory village only has about 4 caravans now withthe Rory theme (silver vans) and then about 8 Gold caravans (where we were) It is a short walk past the playground to the showbar, handy for the shop and the swimming pool.
The play area in the Boardwalk has gone (it was very tatty) The play rooms you are talking about Mamzie are still there but the kids clubs always seemed to be in the Boardwalk and nobody used them. (same last year too)

BUTLINS
Good idea for unpacking. 3rd floor was a bit of a pain, but lovely once you were up there.

ohsobusy
4th May 2007, 21:50
yippee, I just managed to find my brochure.. Its silly aparently in the brochure theres only 6 berth golds for short breaks, yet if you book for a week they show gold caravans which sleeps 8...

I missed that completely :( I suppose it will have to be silver then for this time. Will remember for another time. Will let you know what Burnham is like when I get back if you're still thinking about going.

These free passes that you get with the 3 bed caravans, do they come automatically or do I have to apply? (I'm sure I read something about them in this thread but have had a few glasses tonight.)

Claire-Miranda
5th May 2007, 11:58
We've been to lots of Haven sites in the south, and the best in my opinion is Rockley Park in Poole. Great location and facilites. Def worth paying extra for a gold - we're getting a 3 bed gold in August for ?1036 for a week. I tried 3 different staff when booking, but they were all adamant about paying full brochure price whereas last year they honoured any discount apart from 'hlaf price'. It's only a quarter of the price by using Tesco deals, so it's still great value. We went to Burnham on Sea last year for a weekend with the Sun deals, bronze caraven was pretty ropey and asked to be moved as it had a wet floor and stunk of cat pee. The sites nice though - next to beach and nice little town, and Somerfield supermarket. Brean leisure park is nearby and is a fab fair - you can get deals for it - it's expensive using real money.

amelia
5th May 2007, 13:08
We go to Haven camps 2 or 3 tmes a year. We always book our summer holiday in November the year before we go as it is cheaper, you pay the brochure price but you DO get discounts.
We save around ?180.00 by booking using the November brochure.

So far we've been to
Marton Mere
Cala gran
Thorpe Park
Lake side
Burnham
Greenacres
Rockley Park
Seaview
Devon Cliffs
Donniford Bay

I think all the parks have something going for them and always are fabulous for families with kids.

Rockley Park used to be our favourite, but when they installed part of the amusement arcade in the main entertainment room, I think it spoilt it, you could hear the machines pinging and buzzing and generally taking everyone's money :laugh: (don't all machines do that anyway)

Our Favourite has to be Devon Cliffs, It is a beautiful area, and, It is a HUGE park, with a lot to offer,
You pay extra for the spa, but it is well worth it, it is SO relaxing, and you get the spa prices online at http://www.devoncliffsspa.co.uk/index.php
There is a lot of choice and always something for the kids to do. One disadvantage is, the park is VERY hilly, so anyone with walking problems may find it a little bit of a struggle. We are going again in July.

ohsobusy
5th May 2007, 19:12
Another really silly question here... could I order a Tesco delivery for a haven caravan?

tyroleandancer
5th May 2007, 23:00
Another really silly question here... could I order a Tesco delivery for a haven caravan?

As far as I remember this was discussed last year and it is possible:)

Mamzie
6th May 2007, 15:06

I missed that completely :( I suppose it will have to be silver then for this time. Will remember for another time. Will let you know what Burnham is like when I get back if you're still thinking about going.

These free passes that you get with the 3 bed caravans, do they come automatically or do I have to apply? (I'm sure I read something about them in this thread but have had a few glasses tonight.)

I'm sure I saw one last year...

The free funpasses are available for everyone that books in for the holiday at Haven.. ie, 4 going just add some extra people up to max occupancy and get 2 extra passes for no extra cost..

maleficent_mum
6th May 2007, 20:22
I don't know if this would be of interest to anyone, but I emailed Haven earlier this week to check whether their "Caravan & Camping" brochure holidays are included in the Clubcard deals and they are :D
and you get the funpasses included so can use all the onsite facilities. :happy:

We've camped at haven sites before and the facilities have always been really good although we found Kiln Park was very noisy.

karen007
7th May 2007, 15:22
Stayed at Caister in Norfolk a couple of years ago on a half board basis. The food really was very good. Lots of choice, help yourself as much & as many times as you like (good for me as i'm greedy!). Booked to go to Havny y mor (spelling!) later this month also half board - am hoping for the same high standard of food as Caister. Did not go through deals as already used for Cuba. We are paying ?72.50 each for a week half board (DH & me). Can't believe how amazingly cheap it is. We don't normally go for holiday camps, but at that price we couldn't say no - will use the camp as a base for exploring the area. As well as filling our tummies with the help yourself buffets... :clap2: We have only got the bog-standard accomodation, so will be expecting a shed, with a bucket in the corner. Anything better will be a bonus :p

Jules_2005
18th May 2007, 20:51
I ordered my deals on Wednesday and they arrived today so I've booked to go to Burnham on sea in June. We were going to go to Doniford Bay but Burnham looks so much nicer.

**Patty**
18th May 2007, 22:14
Stayed at Caister in Norfolk a couple of years ago on a half board basis. The food really was very good. Lots of choice, help yourself as much & as many times as you like (good for me as i'm greedy!). Booked to go to Havny y mor (spelling!) later this month also half board - am hoping for the same high standard of food as Caister. Did not go through deals as already used for Cuba. We are paying ?72.50 each for a week half board (DH & me). Can't believe how amazingly cheap it is. We don't normally go for holiday camps, but at that price we couldn't say no - will use the camp as a base for exploring the area. As well as filling our tummies with the help yourself buffets... :clap2: We have only got the bog-standard accomodation, so will be expecting a shed, with a bucket in the corner. Anything better will be a bonus :p

If you want a beach, don't use the one on site....go a couple of miles down the road to LLanbedrog. It's now owned by the NT so is protected but it's a pure sand beach & is lovely.:o You can also climb the headland there & the view is fantastic !

ninja_ang
18th May 2007, 22:46
I'm off to Perran Sands on Monday for my hols and really looking forward to it, not sure where the closest Tesco is though!!!!
xxxx

Jules_2005
18th May 2007, 23:00
I'm off to Perran Sands on Monday for my hols and really looking forward to it, not sure where the closest Tesco is though!!!!
xxxx

I think Truro is the nearest from Perranporth but personally I'd head up to Padstow Tesco on the Coast Road just for the ride and the views - head towards Newquay, and then follow the signs towards Porth Beach, Watergate Bay & Mawgan Porth (B3276) and stay on that road until you get to Padstow. The views are absolutely stunning. I'll be doing that route myself this time next month as we're staying in Perranporth. Mawgan porth is the beach I've been going to since I was a tot and I still love it now. I hope you have a fantastic time Ang.

These are the Tesco's in Cornwall.
Camborne Wesley Street
Falmouth Killigrew Street
Helston Clodgey Lane
Launceston Tavistock Road
Padstow Sarahs Lane
Pool Station Road
Redruth Tolgus Hill
St. Austell Daniels Lane
Truro Garras Wharf
Wadebridge West Hill

ninja_ang
18th May 2007, 23:03
Ah thanks Jules, hope you have a lovely time! Will probably go to Padstow!
xxx

treasureirelands
19th May 2007, 00:14
txs for that,didn't know Haven were on Tesco deals:D . We were thinking of Haven in Hastings in July anyway
Was wondering how to scrape pennies together now won't have to worry too much. Might even upgrade to a bit of a nicer caravan:D

Jules_2005
19th May 2007, 00:23
I didn't realise how cheap Haven was compared to Butlins. I looked at Minehead Butlins and it was ?1009 (?252 deals) for the week and Haven was ?579 (?144 deals)

zoot
19th May 2007, 08:02
I didn't realise how cheap Haven was compared to Butlins. I looked at Minehead Butlins and it was ?1009 (?252 deals) for the week and Haven was ?579 (?144 deals)

Think it depends which week and which site. I know when we wnt to Butlins last year it was cheeper than the Haven break we were looking at for the same time.

Our*holiday*fund
19th May 2007, 08:11
I don't know if this would be of interest to anyone, but I emailed Haven earlier this week to check whether their "Caravan & Camping" brochure holidays are included in the Clubcard deals and they are :D
and you get the funpasses included so can use all the onsite facilities. :happy:

We've camped at haven sites before and the facilities have always been really good although we found Kiln Park was very noisy.

thats great thx for posting that, ive been meaning to ask for ages, was going to ring and check soon, but to be honest i expected them not to be, i wonder how it would work if your also a freedom trail member, would you still get the discount, may still be worth checking that,
for anyone camping or touring i would highly recommend wild duck at great yarmouth, not one of the bigger sites, but still plenty to do for a weekend/mid week break.

ohsobusy
19th May 2007, 16:21
I ordered my deals on Wednesday and they arrived today so I've booked to go to Burnham on sea in June. We were going to go to Doniford Bay but Burnham looks so much nicer.

What week are you going. We might see you there. We're going on the 16th. :)

Jules_2005
19th May 2007, 16:39
What week are you going. We might see you there. We're going on the 16th. :)

We're going away on the 16th but we're staying in Perranporth for the first week and we're at Burnham on sea from the 23rd for a week

SuzyWoo
1st June 2007, 14:04
Came back from holiday early becuase of the weather but thought I would give a report of our Haven break.

We stopped in a Gold caravan at Church Farm (http://www.havenholidays.com/Parks/south/churchfarm/) near Chichester. It's only a small site by Haven standards but was lovely and we wouldn't hesitate going back. We tend to use our Haven breaks as a base to visit the local area (we used to live near Brighton so only 30 miles along the coast). The facilities were smaller but they had everything you may need and it was close enough to the village of Pagham to get a takeaway (delivered! ;))if you wanted to. The next village Nyetimber had a Tesco Express! It's also next door to a nature reserve. Brilliant for young children.

The downside, I think you do need a car to get there, there were a lot of very wet people waiting at the bus stops for their days out. It is smaller than other sites, so not as many facilities, but to us it was quieter too, and we really enjoyed it.

ohsobusy
1st June 2007, 19:10
Glad you had a good time, Suzy :)

PhilCCFC
5th June 2007, 14:38
Hi,

We've just booked 2 caravans in October at the Quay West site using my vouchers, no issues at all. It'll be nice as we used to go to that site when it was Holimarine many years ago for our family holidays and I'm taking my parents back along with my family plus my brother and sister are taking their families along too for the week!

Be good to go back over the good old days. :o

poogis
25th July 2007, 10:56
Hi

Everyone seems to have such amazing holidays here, I just wondered if anyone else is staying in the UK?

I am aiming to take my hubby and 3 kids to Haven next year in the school hols, so quite expensive. Annoyingly it is about the same price to fly to Barcelona with airmiles, and stay in the Hilton for 3 nights as Haven for a week, but as we have only one valid passport between us, and very little spare cash, we are probably going to Haven in Weymouth instead.

Just wonder if anyone else is saving for a holiday in the UK? I need about another ?50 of points by December, so shouldn't be too hard.

Poogis

Jules_2005
25th July 2007, 11:04
We did, we stayed in Haven at Burnham on Sea in June. I've never been abroad on holiday, don't possess a passport and certainly don't fancy taking my kids at this age with all their belongings abroad !

Miss Wetwipe
25th July 2007, 11:06
I work in the UK hol industry and I think if you have kids then holidaying in the UK is far less stressful than going abroad. UK Parks have cracking entertainment for kids and they also love the idea of staying in a caravan as well ! Its not just Haven that do 'all singing - all dancing' parks though there are a lot of other privately owned parks that are terreffic as well!

poogis
25th July 2007, 11:10
We have been to Haven before many times, and the kids do enjoy it, It's more me and my hubby who fancied a change, and we went to Barcelona on our honeymoon, and know our kids would love it there.

Although, this will be our first "free" Haven holiday!

Poogis

minniem
25th July 2007, 11:37
Hi Poogis, I have just returned from Haven Weymouth, seaview. We did pay for that one though! Weymouth is lovely and we really enjoyed it. However, we booked seaview as it is linked to another of their parks and we thought we would have more facilities. I wish we had booked for Littlesea though as that wasn't the case. I have never been to Littlesea but my friend has and has loved it.

We have also booked for Greenacres courtesy of Mr T in October half term. The sites are so good for young children

clockwatcher
25th July 2007, 11:37
Going to Haven next month without DH, but with kids and the inlaws! :eek::pray:

minniem
25th July 2007, 11:43
Good grief clockwatcher, how did you manage that one!!?

poogis
25th July 2007, 12:00
HI Minniem

It is Littlesea we are looking at. We've been to Seaview before so thought we'd try Littlesea as is meant to be really good.
I just need the final ?50 of points and I'll get it booked, probably after December mailing!

Thanks for your advice.

Poogis

Hi Poogis, I have just returned from Haven Weymouth, seaview. We did pay for that one though! Weymouth is lovely and we really enjoyed it. However, we booked seaview as it is linked to another of their parks and we thought we would have more facilities. I wish we had booked for Littlesea though as that wasn't the case. I have never been to Littlesea but my friend has and has loved it.

We have also booked for Greenacres courtesy of Mr T in October half term. The sites are so good for young children

siennahue
25th July 2007, 12:35
We have only ever holidayed in the UK with the kids, I just can't imagine organising one oh, 5 kids and all my dds medical kit on to a plane, its too much like hard work! We have a week in Cornwall next month ( our first ever summer holiday) with Haven and a week in Kent in October all thanks to Mr T and this site. :)

Sienna

minniem
25th July 2007, 13:15
Free holidays are always so much better don't you think?

siennahue
25th July 2007, 13:19
Free holidays are always so much better don't you think?

Absolutly, but oh was a little worried about me as i looked on the tesco wesite to find the nearest extra store to where were staying :o

torianut
25th July 2007, 13:20
We have been to Butlins a couple of times and the kids love it - if you go Gold then the apartments are ok and get cleaned during your stay - we have always paid in the past - hoping next years will be courtesy of Mr T - thanks to all on here.

torianut
25th July 2007, 13:20
Just to add - the Minehead Butlins has Tesco next door!!!

minniem
25th July 2007, 13:22
Absolutly, but oh was a little worried about me as i looked on the tesco wesite to find the nearest extra store to where were staying :o

LOL!! I did exactly the same thing, only thing was OH had already looked for me :bounce::bounce::party:

siennahue
25th July 2007, 13:28
We've never done Butlins, it always worked out too expensive, we only ever used to do ?400 or less haven hols at easter or october, but it is something I want to look into now that I've discovered the power of points!

Minniem, bless him! My oh would be happy if he never saw another Tesco as long as he lives.

minniem
25th July 2007, 13:32
We've never done Butlins, it always worked out too expensive, we only ever used to do ?400 or less haven hols at easter or october, but it is something I want to look into now that I've discovered the power of points!

Minniem, bless him! My oh would be happy if he never saw another Tesco as long as he lives.

He likes taking the mick out of me for my points collecting, but in another way is supporting. I have told him that if he doesn't behave himself I will take someone else to Florida next year instead of him :fish:

torianut
25th July 2007, 13:48

We've always gone self-catering and you do spend a lot on eating out and drinking coffee whilst kids are watching shows etc but if Mr T pays for the holiday then thats not as bad!! You definately don't need to leave the site all week as there is loads of free entertainment for the kids!

siennahue
25th July 2007, 15:35
We've always gone self-catering and you do spend a lot on eating out and drinking coffee whilst kids are watching shows etc but if Mr T pays for the holiday then thats not as bad!! You definately don't need to leave the site all week as there is loads of free entertainment for the kids!

I agree, we are using the money we would normally spend on a holiday as our spending money, of course the master plan is to put the cash value of the coupons I use into a pot so I can then truly say Mr T paid for my holiday :D:D:D

moore590
25th July 2007, 16:17
well iam going to the isle of man in augast

moterbike racing , my mum lives thare so i stop at hers
any one want some kippers i will but them on swops

linzwylie
25th July 2007, 18:51
i wanted to book haggerston castle for the october hols but on their website it says they have no availability for that week :(

LINZ :peace:

zoot
25th July 2007, 20:38
Stayed at Haven sites loads but in the last 12 months we have really discovered the joys of Butlins and as they say on the adverts 'Kids love it'
much prefer it to haven. Gold appartments are really good standard and although its further away i think we will be booking minehead for october half term and next easter when the next lot of vouchers arrive.

Shortie
25th July 2007, 22:18
Hi....

This is what we've been saving for since Christmas (greatly helped since discovering PTS! :maldives-cheers1:)

We went away for 4 days to Bultins (Bognor) the weekend just gone, not paid for by Deals but it's the first time I've been to Bultins, always been a Haven girl myself.

So there's now a toss up between Combe Haven (in Hastings) which was my haunt for ages while my parents had a caravan there yonks ago, or Bognor Regis Butlins, though there was something about the accomodation in Butlins that bugged me and I can't put my finger on it....

Anyway, I'm one saving for a holiday in this country to be part/full paid for in Deals... Besides loving the coast (tonnes of history and greenery) I don't fancy carting DS's medication around either abroad (or heaven forbid having any problems and needing hospital treatment.....) and we'll have an under one next summer too :shocked: :der:

LoveABargain
25th July 2007, 22:46
LOL!! I did exactly the same thing, only thing was OH had already looked for me :bounce::bounce::party:

LOL - you can get tesco's to deliver to your caravan if you like - I love the thought of getting all my shopping delieverd to the site when we arrive - lol

Back to the topic of campsites I always fancy Devon Cliffs or one of the ones in Cornwall - Perranporth/St Ives. Been to Doniford Bay had a lovely holiday but I don't think it's one of the best sites as far as facilities go, there's a Haven in Tenby in S wales - not stayed there but been to Tenby which is a lovely place and loads of good days out nearby.

:)

clockwatcher
26th July 2007, 00:16
I'm looking forward to seeing what these sort of places are like, as I've never been to Haven, Butlins or anything else like that before. I'm wondering if it might be the kind of place I could take the boys on my own for a few days at some point in the future, just to break up school holidays while DH is working away.

SuzyWoo
26th July 2007, 06:44
Shortie - there is Church Farm Haven which is only a mile or two from Bognor, it's a lovely pretty little site. We went there are really enjoyed it, small but perfectly formed lol!

minniem
26th July 2007, 07:53
LOL - you can get tesco's to deliver to your caravan if you like - I love the thought of getting all my shopping delieverd to the site when we arrive - lol

Back to the topic of campsites I always fancy Devon Cliffs or one of the ones in Cornwall - Perranporth/St Ives. Been to Doniford Bay had a lovely holiday but I don't think it's one of the best sites as far as facilities go, there's a Haven in Tenby in S wales - not stayed there but been to Tenby which is a lovely place and loads of good days out nearby.

:)

Oooh, I didn't know that!!! We went to Devon Cliffs last year and is by far the best haven site we have been to. We are planning to go back again next year. :p

Grinder
26th July 2007, 08:39
Were off to Devon Cliffs on the 4th August for a week... hoping the weather will improve a bit...

torianut
26th July 2007, 09:53
Hi....

So there's now a toss up between Combe Haven (in Hastings) which was my haunt for ages while my parents had a caravan there yonks ago, or Bognor Regis Butlins, though there was something about the accomodation in Butlins that bugged me and I can't put my finger on it....

There are a couple of things about the Butlins accommodation - we have always gone gold and I know its for safety but when the fire doors are shut the kids seem too far away - like in another hotel room or something!
Also last time we were on the top floor - now I've got a baby to not so sure about the fire escape type steps!

just things that bug me - fussy I know but it is our main holiday!!

poogis
26th July 2007, 10:07
I don't like Butlins accommodation either, although we were toying with the idea of going as the pools are so good. In the end we figured in the school hols the pools would be just too busy anyway, so we are sticking with Haven. Ilike having a separate caravan with no immediate neighbours like you get at Butlins.

I wish Haven could get a decent pool though, the best pool we've been to is at Devon Cliffs, but we found there wasn't too much to do in the surrounding area. Not enough for us for a week anyway.

We have been to Combe Haven twice, Primrose Valley, Devon Cliffs, Allhallows, Rockley Park and Seaview at Weymouth. We are going to try Littlesea at Weymouth next year, we love Weymouth, loads for the kids to do there.

We are booking 7 nights, but will probably come home on the 7th night, and drive back at night-time, that way the kids should sleep, or it's a long journey and you have to be out of the caravan by 10am the next day anyway.

Sorry for that ramble, even though our planned holiday is 12 months away I am already excited, no hols for us this year as too many bills etc, so I will really look forward to next year.

Poogis!

smitheim
26th July 2007, 10:18
Haven in Pwllheli has a good pool, slides, waves etc - last time we went was 2 years ago paid in cash via sun hols but we did spend a lot on food,drinks etc, can you get all-inclusive with deals? :confused:

GoatBoy
26th July 2007, 10:23
Been to Perran Sands, Haggerston, Lakeland & New Quay.

All excellent

flossycandy
26th July 2007, 11:28
Mum is taking the girls to Seashore, Great Yarmouth on Saturday :clap2:

All paid for with deals. She has also worked out the nearest Tesco :D

taffyswife
26th July 2007, 14:02
Mum is taking the girls to Seashore, Great Yarmouth on Saturday :clap2:

All paid for with deals. She has also worked out the nearest Tesco :D

Went there twice with the sun ?9.50 holidays last year - brilliant site - hope they have a good time

Shortie
26th July 2007, 16:06
Shortie - there is Church Farm Haven which is only a mile or two from Bognor, it's a lovely pretty little site. We went there are really enjoyed it, small but perfectly formed lol!

Thanks SuzyWoo, didn't realise that.... Our friends were telling us too that the New Forest isn't too bad a drive from Bognor so that'd be lovely to go to see, and based from a Haven site too...... Hmmm, I'll have a nose at the park on their web site later today ta!

I'll rep you now too thanks. If the message comes out odd, I'm really sorry... I keep having to retype my text as one of my cats is laying really heavily just below my left wrist, lol.... I forgot the cats got climgy when I was so close to having DS1... but this time it's the 'bully beef' heavy muscle machine that feels the urge to lay on what ever becomes available which is starting to become a bit of a pain! lol

SuzyWoo
26th July 2007, 16:10
You could get day tickets to Butlins, but quite pricey I think. We went to the Submarine Museum (http://www.rnsubmus.co.uk/)at Gosport - really good, you get to actually go on a WW2 Sub.

Shortie
26th July 2007, 16:18
There are a couple of things about the Butlins accommodation - we have always gone gold and I know its for safety but when the fire doors are shut the kids seem too far away - like in another hotel room or something!
Also last time we were on the top floor - now I've got a baby to not so sure about the fire escape type steps!

just things that bug me - fussy I know but it is our main holiday!!

Oooooo I never thought about the stairs... We were on the top floor the weekend just gone and we'll have an under one my then so you're right... don't fancy the stairs all the time!

Also when we booked we booked a Silver. Didn't realise the Silver Plus were rennovated Silvers for just an extra ?40, and to be honest allhough the inside space in the Silver was okay (especially compared to a caravan, lol) it felt 'shabby' which was a bit off putting. That and the fact the bathroom had no window so was reliant on a naff condenser thingy to get the steam out of the bathroom after 4 adult and a child had used it. I'm really funny about bathrooms so that may have sounded odd.....

I also thought the facilities, though FAB were laid out really 'bitty'

Shortie
26th July 2007, 16:29
Ilike having a separate caravan with no immediate neighbours like you get at Butlins.

Yes... that too... I said to my Mum when I got back that I missed not being in a caravan and couldn't explain why, especially when they're renouned for bashing limbs on and hardly any bedroom space!

But there does seem to be a distinct lack of privacy when you're so close to others at Bultins, and when people walk past they automatically look in the windows without thinking too (and I know i 'caught' myself doing it too!)

catgirl03
27th July 2007, 09:01
Been to Presthaven Sands and Devon cliffs about 8 times, love devon cliffs its a big site but alway quite. Alway have a gold caravan but last time we went in May they had a platium one on display so now want to stay in that!!

Always go when theres special offers etc but now DD is starting school will have to pay much inflated prices during half term etc. Always wanted to go in August but can't justify ?1000+ for a caravan so saving points ready for next year. Hoping to get two free holidays.

Annie

flossycandy
27th July 2007, 11:08
Went there twice with the sun ?9.50 holidays last year - brilliant site - hope they have a good time

Thanks for that. Im sure that they will have a good time but I will have a better one! I think Mum and her DH might need another holiday after though. :D

Jaypee
27th July 2007, 18:09
We have had an Irish Sea ferry crossing, a Haven caravan in N. Wales, Poole & Filey in the last four years all courtesy of Mr T and we were really grateful for those I can tell you, but that was before I found this site and next year is the first year that we have been able to consider going abroad. The caravan holidays have all been great but we had to pay a bit extra. You can take 4 rowdy kids with you for no extra cost, but 2 quiet, friendly, non shedding dogs cost ?80

stinky minky
15th August 2007, 20:50
I used some of my friends deals and I need to replace them. I was wondering are they named deals?

siennahue
15th August 2007, 20:52
I used some of my friends deals and I need to replace them. I was wondering are they named deals?

Yes, it has "Lastname: ___________" - with your surname printed instead of the line!

Sienna

stinky minky
15th August 2007, 20:59
thanks for that, just thought i would check before i started the whole seting up of a new account etc....

samj
16th August 2007, 20:08
Hi Husband Would Like To Visit Yorkshire Next Year. We Can Use Tesco Vouchers To Book Haven Camp.
Any Advice On A Nice Site.

minniem
17th August 2007, 07:40
Not been to any in Yorkshire, but have been too quite a few haven sites and they are all generally the same. I have no complaints.

nixx
17th August 2007, 08:07
I've not liked any of the Haven sites in Yorkshire, but it depends what you're going for really - our kids are a little bit older now, so it's not what we do anyway. If you can go a little bit further north, the one at Berwick - Haggerston Castle - is lovely.

SuzyWoo
17th August 2007, 09:02
We went to Blue Dolphin for a week and stayed 3 nights, so I'm not the person to ask!

suesmith
17th August 2007, 12:30
haggerstone castle is nice in northumberland, the havens in yorkshire can be a bit off

minniem
17th August 2007, 12:49
We went to Blue Dolphin for a week and stayed 3 nights, so I'm not the person to ask!

Why what was wrong? Please tell in case I go in future!

**Patty**
17th August 2007, 12:56
It's been 3 or 4 years since i went but:

Blue Dolphin: according to the locals, it's the site for the alcoholics. First time we went, it was blazing sun all week.......got to use the outdoor pool , fab caravan etc. so good, we booked a fortnight the following year. After the first couple of days, i wanted to come home too. It rained for 10 days out of 14. I mean torrential rain. Never been back since.

Primrose Valley: Havn't stayed here but went a drive around the site. Quite big but because of the trees, very dark & gloomy. Am a daylight person so that put me off. Although, i have friends with a touring caravan & they won't go anywhere else.

Reighton Sands: built into the cliff side so a bit scarey to see the caravans all on 3/4 breeze blocks. Quiet site and looked to be mostly elderly owners.

We go to either Caister or Presthaven Sands. Although, never in a chalet *shudders*

dingaling
20th August 2007, 08:34
Just got back 2 days ago from Come Haven in Hastings, wouldnt go there again, actually dont know if I would do Haven again. There was hardly anything for the kids to do, pool was small and got very full, the slide was rubbish, the boys only stayed in for 30 mins. Paid for all the extras like aqua gliders etc, first session was good but 2nd session was very disappointing as they had over booked it and could only use half the small pool. They did archery but again over booked it and only had 2 bows so they didnt get much of a go. The caravan stank of fags, I didnt use the wardrobe as that stank of fags too. They did come and squirt some airfreshner and that last a day, I didnt bother complaining again as I was meant to be on holiday. I didnt like that they didnt have a reception desk either, checkin was on a rickety table in one of the entertainment halls. I tried the entertainment but I really wasnt in the mood, I found it moronic, but then again I did have pmt!!

I am used to caravan holidays with your own 'pitch' with patio furniture so you can at least sit outside, but there was no space to do this here, also I would have had to have picked up the 20 or so fag butts up right outside the caravan. Also I didnt like the fact I had to pick up/drop off my linen, picking this up along with aall our luggage etc made life difficult. Then at check out there was only 1 person and an enormous queue, gggrrrr. Can you tell I wasnt impressed??!! Also the entertainment was through the arcade which the boys were constantly begging for money for, I did keep saying no after they had spent their daily pocket money, but it was draining.

So needless to say we wont be going back, the boys enjoyed it but did get bored.

SuzyWoo
20th August 2007, 08:41
Why what was wrong? Please tell in case I go in future!

Blue Dolphin: according to the locals, it's the site for the alcoholics. First time we went, it was blazing sun all week.......got to use the outdoor pool , fab caravan etc. so good, we booked a fortnight the following year. After the first couple of days, i wanted to come home too. It rained for 10 days out of 14. I mean torrential rain. Never been back since.

That sounds about right! The facilities weren't very good at all, and it was just full of chavs driving their souped up cars around the site! We went to the soft play area and the guy was asleep!!! He just woke up to tell people it was closing in 5 minutes - I don't know how he managed to wake up in time to do that, but we felt like we had disturbed him. There were a lot of things, but the weather was rubbish and we discovered there is very little to do indoors in that area of the world for a young family.

whamfanuk
20th August 2007, 09:39
i thought primrose valley was a bit dirty

jezza
20th August 2007, 14:04
Hi everyone,

I am also interested in saving for haven holidays. We have been to a few caravan parks over the years inc Quay west Haven (lovely place) which is only an hour or so drive from Tenby/Folly farm etc. We went to Southerness with parkdean which was simealr to Haven. We also did a couple of hoseasons places (anglesey bungalows and glan gwna) but like haven for the kids clubs/swim pools etc. We prefer it to going abroad, we have had as much fun at Haven parks than in spain, even when it has been rubbish weather. We are trying Berwick area next, has anyone been? Also, am a newbie to this, can I save my CC points as long as i like? (or do they expire) Thanks x

Melc234
20th August 2007, 14:23
Hi, ive been to both berwick and haggerston castle. Would definetly recommend haggerston, more stuff to do and better laid out, you dont feel as crowded compared to Berwick. Plus its only 20mins from haggerston to berwick

Gizmos
20th August 2007, 14:28
Also, am a newbie to this, can I save my CC points as long as i like? (or do they expire) Thanks x

Hi and welcome. The points vouchers that come in your statements are valid for two years - once you convert these to deals they are valid for a further 6 months. However if you convert to deals and then find you cand use them you can send them back to credit to your account - in effect adding to their "lifetime"

hope that helps

jezza
20th August 2007, 15:58
Thankyou both for your help:) x

poppy
21st August 2007, 00:25
hi,
i can recommend greenacres ( great if you can get it through su newspaper hols).
lovely area small drive into town, stones throw to beach, lovely caravan (do not keep older carava

poppy
21st August 2007, 00:27
hi,
i can recommend the greenacres site in portmadog.
great clean site , small drive into portmadog, stones throw to beach, lovely clean caravans.
great if you can get a sun holiday on here.
hope this helps too.

Littlemissjojo
17th November 2007, 16:13
New haven question!

We have done Haven with deals before, so understand how it works.

However....has anyone ever got it cheaper than the brochure price? Just wondered if its worth trying to barter them down a bit, as regular customers?:p

Also, they've got a new level above gold - platinum! and gold has been renamed prestige. This is at devon cliffs, not sure about other parks, didnt look.

SuzyWoo
17th November 2007, 16:15
They had those platimum caravans at one park last year, they are at 3 parks this year, from memory I think the 'extras' are a veranda and towels/toiletries. Look nice though, we nearly booked one in Cornwall.

karen007
17th November 2007, 16:15

Ditto re Hafen y mor - had a lovely week there this May. Ended up paying in cash; it was ?72.50 each half board for a week!! Food was amazing. The area is lovely too - lots to see & do

vichka
17th November 2007, 19:35
Just got back 2 days ago from Come Haven in Hastings, wouldnt go there again, actually dont know if I would do Haven again. There was hardly anything for the kids to do, pool was small and got very full, the slide was rubbish, the boys only stayed in for 30 mins. Paid for all the extras like aqua gliders etc, first session was good but 2nd session was very disappointing as they had over booked it and could only use half the small pool. They did archery but again over booked it and only had 2 bows so they didnt get much of a go. The caravan stank of fags, I didnt use the wardrobe as that stank of fags too. They did come and squirt some airfreshner and that last a day, I didnt bother complaining again as I was meant to be on holiday. I didnt like that they didnt have a reception desk either, checkin was on a rickety table in one of the entertainment halls. I tried the entertainment but I really wasnt in the mood, I found it moronic, but then again I did have pmt!!

I am used to caravan holidays with your own 'pitch' with patio furniture so you can at least sit outside, but there was no space to do this here, also I would have had to have picked up the 20 or so fag butts up right outside the caravan. Also I didnt like the fact I had to pick up/drop off my linen, picking this up along with aall our luggage etc made life difficult. Then at check out there was only 1 person and an enormous queue, gggrrrr. Can you tell I wasnt impressed??!! Also the entertainment was through the arcade which the boys were constantly begging for money for, I did keep saying no after they had spent their daily pocket money, but it was draining.

So needless to say we wont be going back, the boys enjoyed it but did get bored.

I can second that. We went there last year and I think it's one of the worst Haven sites we've been too. It was very hot so the kids spent all the time in the outside pool. So not everything was lost. Otherwise we were not impressed. There was hardly any space between the caravans and the site is tiny with not much to do.

TetrisX
18th November 2007, 14:03
Ditto re Hafen y mor - had a lovely week there this May. Ended up paying in cash; it was ?72.50 each half board for a week!! Food was amazing. The area is lovely too - lots to see & do

How was the beach? I have concerns with the images of the beach at Hafan Y Mor, compared with say Black Rock Sands at Greenacres about 12 miles down the road.

I know the beach isn't necessarily a concern when you go in May, but am interested for the summer. Hafan Y Mor seems to have more facilities than Greenacres but a worse beach, anyone confirm or deny?

GoatBoy
18th November 2007, 15:40
New Quay was fantastic. Place down the road called Llangrannog has a perfect cove & beach with simply the best cafe I've been in. Seafood lasagne nearly as good as mine & carrot cake

baconbap
18th November 2007, 17:54
How was the beach? I have concerns with the images of the beach at Hafan Y Mor, compared with say Black Rock Sands at Greenacres about 12 miles down the road.

I know the beach isn't necessarily a concern when you go in May, but am interested for the summer. Hafan Y Mor seems to have more facilities than Greenacres but a worse beach, anyone confirm or deny?

The beach is nice at Hafan y mor, with a little river running down into it part way along, but it seemed to be a bit muddy, - not sure if that's the right word, like an estuary? - towards the sea. I was wearing boots (October)and I didn't feel as if I wanted to stand too long in one place. There are some nice coves walking west, and a lovely long beach past them.

We went to Black Rock sands too, but the other end from green acres. It's a massive long beach, which you could drive the car onto and along, which was fun.

The pool at hafan y mor was good. You have to pay ?20 for the ropeworks, though. And the entertainment was awful (except the 14 year old liked it). I thought it was a bit sleazy.

But we had a good time for ?60 mon- fri with the Sun vouchers - got a free upgrade to a silver apartment - and free passes as we hadn't prebought these, and were told to go to the DJ desk. OH asked if we could pay by credit card, and was told -just have them - worth trying again.

TetrisX
19th November 2007, 00:05

amelia
19th November 2007, 17:06
New haven question!

We have done Haven with deals before, so understand how it works.

However....has anyone ever got it cheaper than the brochure price? Just wondered if its worth trying to barter them down a bit, as regular customers?:p

Also, they've got a new level above gold - platinum! and gold has been renamed prestige. This is at devon cliffs, not sure about other parks, didnt look.

Yes, we did, we but we were a bit naughty really. We save all year and have a few breaks at haven parks each year, but we do go to devon cliffs every summer.

Last year we got what we thought would be the price from the website.
Then they gave us a quote of ?80 more. I said I am so disapointed, last year we only paid (whatever it was) and was told to ring up and book in novmeber where the prices would be nearly the same. I told them it took a year to sav eup for everything for this holiday and at that price we won't be able to book. I told them I am disabled and in a wheelchair and I collect tesco points just to spend at haven.
She told me to just hang on the line and she would see what she would do.
She finally came back and gave us ?140 off and it ended up being cheaper than the year before.
They do check their records though to see if you have been with them before.

I think it's always worth trying.
I've seen the new platinum plus caravans, and while they are twice the cost of a silver caravan was, they are gorgeous.

TLT65
19th November 2007, 23:36
Wherever you go ... Give Combe Haven a WIDE BERTH

Yes they are supposedly knocking down their club house and re-building this year..but until they do

caravans are minging

accom blocks look like prisoner blocks

pool is cold, small and generally run-down:mad:

The bar and entertainment area is dirty, toilets left for ages and not cleaned, carpet so minging our feet stuck to it.
IMAO - the place needs demolishing

redeeming - some of the staff were absolutely lovely - fighting a losing battle with the place !

Please do not waste your hard-won, cherished deals on this pit of a place:nono:

look elsewhere

**Patty**
19th November 2007, 23:51

If you drive about 2 miles up the coast to a small village called Llanbedrog, there is the most beautiful sandy beach under the headland there. It is now maintained by the National Trust (wasn't when i was little) but it puts most beaches in the Lleyn peninsula in the shade.

siennahue
19th November 2007, 23:55
I'll admit we've not been to Combe Haven (and probably won't even consider it now!) but we have visited a fair few of their other sites and have been happy with them, my only advice is do not ever book a bronze - or the equivalent - we had woodlice in the last one we stayed in and we were told - and I quote "what do you expect? you have a bronze caravan" talk about rude staff :mad: anyway we have booked Burnham for this April with one of their lakeside with verandah etc posh caravans and are very much looking forward to it :)

Sienna

ukdrummajor
20th November 2007, 00:06
if you go to hafon y mor, u can use your deals vouchers at Portmerion. Where the old show "The Prisoner" was filmed. Absolutely superb buildings and grounds.

karen007
20th November 2007, 01:18

Never actually went to the beach there. But there are beautiful pretty beaches & coves all around the nearby area. Its such a lovely spot...

LORRACUK
8th January 2008, 16:24
I am thinking of booking a week at Hafan y mor or Greenacres - can't really decide which one to go for. Just wondering if anyone can recommend either of these two.

Thanks.

suziq
8th January 2008, 16:26
i love greenacres, right on the beach tho can be a treck if ure nearer the clubhouse

SuzyWoo
8th January 2008, 16:29
Have moved your thread. If you search on the thread it's now on there is lots of info! ;)

LORRACUK
8th January 2008, 16:31
Have moved your thread. If you search on the thread it's now on there is lots of info! ;)

Thanks - I didn't know where to look

anniebee65
10th January 2008, 16:22
Memories, memories, I was the bar manager at Greenacres some years ago, when it was owned by Bourne Leisure. Great area. Portmadoc is lovely, Portmerion is nearby and Blackrock sands is a great beach.

There's even a scaleable mountain behind the park. We went up there a few times.

Worked there for a year in the early '90s with my then Fiance, now lovely dh. I wish I could rec it, but frankly we were mostly drunk so I can't remember it much :behindsofa:

**Patty**
8th February 2008, 20:06
Could someone give me all the gossip please? :D

Have read holiday truths & it seems a lovely park but i have one very important question.

Where's the nearest tesco & is it any good? :behindsofa:

Seriously, has anyone been or do we have some lovely posters that live locally? All info gratefully received :)

deb2108
10th February 2008, 02:28
Hi all - Haven have some very good prices at the minute for camping - not sure if it is just camping or on all holidays :o)
less than half price if booking in advance - my quote for July one week family of 4 with tent dog etc ......... ?65 on electric or ?43 basic pitch includes funworks passes
the prices for March/April were even better at less than ?13 for 3 nights, brill considering we pay that for one night at most sites

pogoparadise
6th April 2008, 11:27
Can you camp at Haven with deals? and has anyone done it? Was thinking of Greenacres in particular.
Thanks in advance
Ian