PDA

View Full Version : Viking Boats (Canal Holidays)

Grace & Favour
3rd September 2007, 17:43
Well, just back from my first Narrowboat holiday . . . paid entirely by (you -know - who!)

What a fabulous week, we phutted (can't call it sailing can I?) right up the Llangollen Canal into the Welsh Foothills, stunning scenery, peaceful and gentle pace (can't go faster than 4mph - honest!) and even had sunshine everyday . .

Must admit was a trifle apprehensive when I saw the size of the narrowboat - 69' doesn't sound long, until you realise it steers from the back! But - we managed in fine style . . with six adults - and our accomodation was fine, with three double 'cabins' and a fitted kitchen and eating area, there was room to relax and enjoy. (even two flushing loos on board!)

The boat was spotless when we collected it (and when we left it of course!!!!) - but could seriously recommend it as a great way to spend a week or two - what's more, they'll even let you take your dog with you if you arrange ahead (but decided not to take Grace - our cat - I don't think cats and water get on too well!!!:D)

Definitely a holiday to be repeated!

Ladyshopper
3rd September 2007, 17:50
Grace that sounds lovely, glad you had a great time.

tyroleandancer
3rd September 2007, 18:19
sounds great fun
Another holiday idea :)

Khufu
3rd September 2007, 18:21
We went about five years ago with a one year old and five year old, and had a lovely time - same stretch - we didn't dare go over the Pontecylte Aquaduct though - turned back there. THis was pre -Tesco and it cost a fortune even on a late deal!

suziq
3rd September 2007, 18:34
i might fancy it one day but me fella and his girls are hopeless in a small space!

Gizmos
3rd September 2007, 18:34
i like the idea of it and the tranquility but no doubt i'd get clausto stuck on the boat

pinkieplum
3rd September 2007, 18:37
We just had 4 days on the Kennett & Avon canal with some friends courtesy of Mr T and I too can recommend. It was brilliant! (and we saw 2, what I assume were, houseboats with cats asleep on top of them! I even took photos of them!) Next time you should ask Grace what she thinks? :)

Grace & Favour
3rd September 2007, 19:02
i like the idea of it and the tranquility but no doubt i'd get clausto stuck on the boat

That's just the point Gizmos - because one can stand outside (on the bow or stern) of the boat, or indeed, get off, walk / jog / ride along the towpath etc (you're never further away from the towpath than about 3 feet) one can have total freedom . . my kids would disappear for hours at an end, and knew they'd find the boat in the canal at some point!!!!
(and the countryside is simply stunning!) for the first time in my life - I've been just 18" away from kingfishers hunting, and sitting on the low branches over the water eating their supper . . simply stunning - - I had a completely Bill Oddy moment!!!!

Cyrano
3rd September 2007, 19:11
We did a canal boat holiday with Black Prince courtesy of Mr T and the kids and us loved every minute of it :)

Gizmos
3rd September 2007, 19:18
Grace&F - knowing my luck OH would do a nash in the boat and leave me to jog along the tow path - or push me in "for a larf" - no pirahnas in there I hope

Grace & Favour
3rd September 2007, 19:51
:D:D:D:D

No piranhas Giz - - not anything bigger than bream I think

Gizmos
3rd September 2007, 19:52
pike can have a nasty nip though?

msjg
3rd September 2007, 21:12
I really fancy one of these holidays, i did mention it to my oh and ds about going for a week, they looked at me as if i was mad (nothing new), my son had just came back from spending 3 days in a canoe, i think i could of picked a better time!!

suefone
4th September 2007, 08:19
this sound great. i want to do this now, i think i will have a word with OH

mhoc
4th September 2007, 09:04
We won a holiday on a canal boat a few years ago with Black prince, loved every minite of it except for the beds, too narrow for me used to a king sized bed. I think I would have slept better if I'd had a single bed or a thinner husband.

You do need a minimum of 2 or 3 adults to take turns sterring and tieing up the boat etc. My huband did a lot of complaining about forever being stuck at the tiller and it could be miserable if it rained.

Also it is useful to do a menu plan and plan meals and get all your grouceries before you set off. You then only have to think about bread, milk and fruit form whatever shop is near you when you stop. Eating out at pubs on the way was not really an option for us, our lads have huge appetites and still need feeding at home even after thye have eaten out

We started at Chirk - a frightening ammount of alchol seemed to be loaded onto everyone elses barge!

Mary

pinkieplum
5th September 2007, 07:08
.................... a frightening ammount of alchol seemed to be loaded onto everyone elses barge!

Mary

:o and a frightening amount was consumed on ours! (and we went to the pub!)

lizzie18
5th September 2007, 09:02
when did this company leave ? Have just requested a brochure from uk boat hire x

Grace & Favour
5th September 2007, 10:06
when did this company leave ? Have just requested a brochure from uk boat hire x

It's the same company Lizzie . . I think they've just amalgamated four into one:

Alvechurch Waterway Holidays

Viking Afloat Narrowboat Holidays

Wessex Narrowboats

Redline Boats

And I know I'll be doing it again!!!!!!!!

lizzie18
5th September 2007, 10:47
Oh thanks - My mother in law has always wanted to do it - thinking of booking it for her 50th birthday x

GoatBoy
5th September 2007, 10:49
Grace&F - knowing my luck OH would do a nash in the boat and leave me to jog along the tow path - or push me in "for a larf" - no pirahnas in there I hope

"Do a nash"? It doesn't take much to confuse me but what is a nash? :confused:

tyroleandancer
5th September 2007, 11:34
"Do a nash"? It doesn't take much to confuse me but what is a nash? :confused:

I think Giz meant dash??
well I hope she did as I don't know what nash is either:)

Gizmos
5th September 2007, 11:39
nash is a Northern term - basically it does mean dash

tyroleandancer
5th September 2007, 11:42
nash is a Northern term - basically it does mean dash

you out to confuse us southerners:D

Gizmos
5th September 2007, 11:54
Giz trundless of to get her whippet and flat caps, whilst eating a stottie with black puddign and pease pudding

Cyrano
5th September 2007, 12:28
Giz trundless of to get her whippet and flat caps, whilst eating a stottie with black puddign and pease pudding

I know the feeling :D
Had a rowie for breakfast this morning but the noise of the scurries was deafing. Quite a few loons and quines heading off to school this morning ;)

sahararose
5th September 2007, 13:33
I'm in the Midlands - that means I get confused by the Northerners AND the Southerners !!! *grins

snowball2
5th September 2007, 15:56
I live on the Trevor side of the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, 5 mins walk from trevor basin, we often walk the tow path, my kids love walking over the aqueduct but it terrifies me!!!

I would love a canal holiday but hubby is paranoid about our kids drowning :eek:

mhoc
5th September 2007, 18:50
I live on the Trevor side of the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, 5 mins walk from trevor basin, we often walk the tow path, my kids love walking over the aqueduct but it terrifies me!!!

I would love a canal holiday but hubby is paranoid about our kids drowning :eek:

Yes we went over in a canal boat, I didnt know what to do with myself, which was worse, walking alongside or staying in the barge, shutting my eyes or just lying on the floor under a blanket until we were over - what a wimp:)

And then we had to come back over, still terrified:D

moore590
6th December 2007, 00:49
i want to go on this need ?250.00 in clubcard varchers how many points is that plse
not very good at maths

Beej
6th December 2007, 07:35
?250 in Deals = 250/4 = 6,250 points

OR

?250 in points = 25,000 points.

attilla the bun
14th February 2008, 12:57

No need. If they're small, the company will attach netting to the sides around the stern and bow decks, so that they can't fall possibly fall overboard - apart from the decks, you're very much IN the boat, not On it; also the canals aren't very deep at all, and the company provides lifejackets for children. If they're a bit older, you need to have strict rules about behaviour in locks, but otherwise it's the most fantasctic holiday on which to take children - get a big enough boat,and you can take their friends along for company, that's what I do.

cte1111
28th July 2008, 15:32
We went on a trip using ukboathire last week, and it was great. The weather being so fine definitely helped, but the kids (5 and 1) both enjoyed running up and down the boat and helping steer. The company gave us life jackets for them, which helped me to stop worrying about them falling in etc. It was so peaceful mooring wherever we fancied in the evening and sitting on the front of the boat looking out over fields.

We went from Whitchurch to Llangollen, over the scary aqueduct, which I was ok with but my OH was more scared of.

I would definitely recommend this for a short break, particularly if you are looking for a more green holiday.

sammybear
28th July 2008, 15:39
We went on a trip using ukboathire last week, and it was great. The weather being so fine definitely helped, but the kids (5 and 1) both enjoyed running up and down the boat and helping steer. The company gave us life jackets for them, which helped me to stop worrying about them falling in etc. It was so peaceful mooring wherever we fancied in the evening and sitting on the front of the boat looking out over fields.

We went from Whitchurch to Llangollen, over the scary aqueduct, which I was ok with but my OH was more scared of.

I would definitely recommend this for a short break, particularly if you are looking for a more green holiday.

This sounds great cte111... i fancy doing this myself and could i take the 2 dogs?

thx

pookienoodle
28th July 2008, 15:55
This sounds great cte111... i fancy doing this myself and could i take the 2 dogs?

thx

yes you can.
first pet free, additional pets ?25.
My mils dogs love being on a boat.

ploppy
28th July 2008, 16:09
That sounds fantastic. :)I've always fancied a boating holiday

Grace & Favour
28th July 2008, 17:10

Delightful journey isn't it cte?

We did that very same hire last year . . (loved the Pontcysyllte Aquaduct!) - and you're right - - it's so incredibly peaceful and enjoyable . . .

We shall definitely do it again, definitely!

Chough
28th July 2008, 17:51
I can thoroughly recommend boating as a holiday we have been going for more than thirty years. A few years ago we bought a 1/12 share in a boat which gives Us four weeks every year, in our scheme one in each season. Unfortunately tesco vouchers don't work on buying a share :(
Then you just pay your share of maintainance each year and get four holidays.

Have a look here for examples.

http://www.boatshare.co.uk/for%20sale/

Chough

cte1111
28th July 2008, 18:00
I can thoroughly recommend boating as a holiday we have been going for more than thirty years. A few years ago we bought a 1/12 share in a boat which gives Us four weeks every year, in our scheme one in each season. Unfortunately tesco vouchers don't work on buying a share :(
Then you just pay your share of maintainance each year and get four holidays.

Have a look here for examples.

http://www.boatshare.co.uk/for%20sale/

Chough

I was thinking about doing that too Chough. Do you find it difficult to get the dates that you want? I used to want my own narrowboat, but my last house was alongside a canal, opposite a marina, and we noticed how few of the boats were taken out regularly. I guess a lot of people buy them then find they don't use them very much. But a boat share sounds like a good compromise for us to consider one day (when I get a super new well paid job of course, lol).

Chough
28th July 2008, 18:07
The schemes are all different, in ours we draw four lots, each one for a different season, so it's pot luck. But we will draw for spring 2009 to winter 2009/10 in september this year so there's bags of notice.

Some schemes sell fixed weeks, like a timeshare, and some do a tricksy thing where you take turns each year, so if you choose first one year you are last the next year and work your way back up to first again eventually. Those ones usually divide the year into peak and off peak weeks and the person who chooses first for peak weeks is always last for off peak weeks. Not sure if that makes any sense but there we are.

In our scheme, and most others I think, you can always try and swap, we have done that in the past, and sometimes you can get a short notice extra when someone finds they can't get away after all. We once had to give up a week when our daughter was doing GCSEs, for example.

Chough

rach109
28th July 2008, 21:48

sounds fab and we would love to do that :)

x

sammybear
28th July 2008, 22:24
yes you can.
first pet free, additional pets ?25.
My mils dogs love being on a boat.

brill...:)thanks pookie,

sammy