PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with the money you save by using Tesco deals?

Waterfall
7th November 2006, 18:51
I know some people simply wouldn't have had the holiday, sofa, kitchen.. But for people who would have paid money :eek: for these things - do you put the money you save to good use?

We use our points for holidays and mostly would have taken a holiday regardless. Using Tesco points mean we get a better holiday than we would otherwise. I intend to pay off my mortgage with the money I save.. It's great thinking Mr T is paying off my mortgage early :D

Would be interested to know what others do if anything ...

moonriver
7th November 2006, 19:44
I know some people simply wouldn't have had the holiday, sofa, kitchen.. But for people who would have paid money :eek: for these things - do you put the money you save to good use?

We use our points for holidays and mostly would have taken a holiday regardless. Using Tesco points mean we get a better holiday than we would otherwise. I intend to pay off my mortgage with the money I save.. It's great thinking Mr T is paying off my mortgage early :D

Would be interested to know what others do if anything ...
I think I am spending more money than I would have if I didn't use the scheme so there is no spare money but at least I am going out for a lot of meals and holidays which I wouldn't have

rainbow
7th November 2006, 20:20
No, I'm not saving anything, rather I am getting the extras that I wouldn't normally have had. (Apart from DS got his driving lessons with BSM, so HE saved loadsa money at the expense of my vouchers). I agree also that I spend much more with Tesco's than I would have without the incentive of point collecting.

SuzyWoo
7th November 2006, 20:52
I have a horrible feeling any money I save goes on buying more stuff from Tesco to get more deals! :eek:

DebbieE
7th November 2006, 21:50
More wine to add to the ever-increasing wine lake, I mean ocean now!

clockwatcher
7th November 2006, 22:25
I'm one of those who just has a better holiday, or extra treats, rather than paying for stuff I'd have bought anyway with Deals.

At the moment though, I'm saving lots of money by not having any Tesco deliveries, as I've nowhere to put the groceries. The fridge-freezer hasn't been working properly for the last three weeks so i can't buy any frozen stuff unless it's literally for the next meal, or more than a day or so's worth of fresh stuff. Having to buy milk 2 pints at a time rather than 8, and it's till going off before it's finished, even in a tuib of water with a wet towel over it. The replacement part we need should be here this week, but I think that's what the company said last week, and the week before... I would spend some Deals tokens on a new one but it's only just over 2 years old (so just out of guarantee!)

ploverpalace
8th November 2006, 00:14
I will be spending the money we have saved for our Florida hol by having a new living room carpet / wood floor? then putting the rest into our Mortgage to pay it off a little earlier.:D

tyroleandancer
8th November 2006, 08:05
I'm one of those who just has a better holiday, or extra treats, rather than paying for stuff I'd have bought anyway with Deals.

At the moment though, I'm saving lots of money by not having any Tesco deliveries, as I've nowhere to put the groceries. The fridge-freezer hasn't been working properly for the last three weeks so i can't buy any frozen stuff unless it's literally for the next meal, or more than a day or so's worth of fresh stuff. Having to buy milk 2 pints at a time rather than 8, and it's till going off before it's finished, even in a tuib of water with a wet towel over it. The replacement part we need should be here this week, but I think that's what the company said last week, and the week before... I would spend some Deals tokens on a new one but it's only just over 2 years old (so just out of guarantee!)

it is so cold here in south wales that I have been storing my spare juice . probably not quite cold enough for the milk, but maybe colder than the sink.

rainbow
8th November 2006, 08:11
I assume you mean outside tyrole? I was just about to suggest the same thing. I kept it in the shed once when we'd a similar problem.

tyroleandancer
8th November 2006, 08:35
oops yes outside. handy when your fridge is full.

Back to topic, no money saved yet as we are paying for our hols this year. Will be saving quite a bit the following as going to Mexico thanks to Mr T.
always try and pay off some of the mortgage each year, hope to pay off a little bit more.

colman
8th November 2006, 09:18

I'd send a letter of complaint to the store you bought it from in the first place. We got a tumble dryer from John Lewis and it just went out of its guarantee, and we had had the engineer out about 3 times to it during that time. They said they would give us the equivalent money off towards a new one which we did. Got to be worth a go.

8th November 2006, 17:23
I usually convert my points into Goldsmith Vouchers online then I spend the old vouchers in Sainsbury's.

When the deal tokens come thruogh, I send them back to be credited back onto my points for the next quarter.

EG, This quarter I have 10,000 points which I will get ?400.00 worth of Goldsmith tokens. I will used the old vouchers worth ?100.00 in Sainsbury's and send back my tokens for a refund.

Does anyone else do this? Or do I have Balls of Steel?

Ermintrude
8th November 2006, 17:33
6928 I think I've lost you :confused: :confused:

do you mean you can get Goldsmiths vouchers without sending your clubcard vouchers in? and sainsburys let you use tesco clubcard vocuhers at face value??

8th November 2006, 19:29
6928 I think I've lost you :confused: :confused:

do you mean you can get Goldsmiths vouchers without sending your clubcard vouchers in? and sainsburys let you use tesco clubcard vocuhers at face value??

Yes, I order the deals online and get to keep the vouchers

Maldives
8th November 2006, 19:41
I would not have things if it was not for Mr T, as no money to spend on new bedroom furniture in the first place, last time I bought bedroom furniture for myself was 20 yrs ago, never really had the money to buy that sort of stuff. My utility room would still be a shell, now it has cupboards and sink etc.... Guest would not be able to hang their clothes in my spare bedroom, but they now have beside cabinets and a wardrobe.... some would even be sat on the floor as Mr T helped buy a couple more dining room chairs...... and the lovely holidays I have had would never of happened...... So infact there is no spare money..

penfold
8th November 2006, 20:14
I would not have things if it was not for Mr T, as no money to spend on new bedroom furniture in the first place, last time I bought bedroom furniture for myself was 20 yrs ago, never really had the money to buy that sort of stuff. My utility room would still be a shell, now it has cupboards and sink etc.... Guest would not be able to hang their clothes in my spare bedroom, but they now have beside cabinets and a wardrobe.... some would even be sat on the floor as Mr T helped buy a couple more dining room chairs...... and the lovely holidays I have had would never of happened...... So infact there is no spare money..

about the same here.....we thought we would have to forget about hols abroad whilst DD was in childcare (about ?500 a month :eek: ) but by using Tesco we not only are getting to go on hols but are going to be staying in one of the top hotels in Canada.....

Basically don't save money, just means we can buy things we wouldn't be able to otherwise.

penfold
8th November 2006, 20:16
I usually convert my points into Goldsmith Vouchers online then I spend the old vouchers in Sainsbury's.

When the deal tokens come thruogh, I send them back to be credited back onto my points for the next quarter.

EG, This quarter I have 10,000 points which I will get ?400.00 worth of Goldsmith tokens. I will used the old vouchers worth ?100.00 in Sainsbury's and send back my tokens for a refund.

OK, I get the bit about using the online vouchers in Sainsburys :) but is there any reason why you send the vouchers back to get credited rather than just use them???? :confused:

crystal tips
8th November 2006, 21:32
i think I am being bit thick,:confused: if I cash in deals on line can I just take in vouchers and use them in any sainsburys? Is there any limits?

thanks

LoveABargain
8th November 2006, 21:36
Yes, I order the deals online and get to keep the vouchers

I remember reading a similar thread about spending used deals vouchers in ASDA, must admit I thought about doing this in small quantities, I'm with Penfold though why to you convert your vchs into Goldsmiths vchs and then have the points recredited to your account - how do you gain there?

about the same here.....we thought we would have to forget about hols abroad whilst DD was in childcare (about ?500 a month :eek: ) but by using Tesco we not only are getting to go on hols but are going to be staying in one of the top hotels in Canada.....

Basically don't save money, just means we can buy things we wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Me too, didn't think we'd be able to go abroad next yr, now thanks to cheap XL flights we will be, if anything we will be spending more money rather than saving by the time add up flight supps, independent accomodation (paid with cash) and extra holiday clothes :D Also must admit almost every other transaction this month on my bank statement was spent at Tesco's!!! So no money saved for me........... if anything collecting points is quite an expensive hobby.

littleange_com
8th November 2006, 21:50
I think I am spending more money than I would have if I didn't use the scheme so there is no spare money but at least I am going out for a lot of meals and holidays which I wouldn't have

Same here

pumpkin
8th November 2006, 21:56
OK, I get the bit about using the online vouchers in Sainsburys :) but is there any reason why you send the vouchers back to get credited rather than just use them???? :confused:

By doing that he's getting the same money back in deals again and again, thus giving him more used vouchers to spend in Sainsburys

Blue Stripes
8th November 2006, 21:57

Definitely balls of steel!! Way to go :clap2:

janice mac
8th November 2006, 21:59
I have a horrible feeling any money I save goes on buying more stuff from Tesco to get more deals! :eek:

Me too. I seem to spend half my life in Tescos. My mate tried to ring me the other day and I wasnt in so she went to Tesco and found me>

Gizmos
8th November 2006, 22:01
Me too. I seem to spend half my life in Tescos. My mate tried to ring me the other day and I wasnt in so she went to Tesco and found me>

LOL - really or you having a laugh?? I only go once a week to the big one but have started going to a small one near to work (I say it's exercise as I walk the few miles there and back!)

Mamzie
8th November 2006, 22:19
I can guess why... Because then Tesco will send returned deals vouchers out again in mailing vouchers the next statement... So you can convert them, use the old Tesco mailing vouchers in Sainsburys and in effect get free money..

Yet still keep all your points for something that you really want!!!

Mamzie
8th November 2006, 22:22

Me too, and I even visit different ones on the same day.... (sometimes in the same hour - ARGHHHH)

Waterfall
8th November 2006, 22:49
Me too, and I even visit different ones on the same day.... (sometimes in the same hour - ARGHHHH) :love: you Mamzie you make me feel normal :D

rainbow
8th November 2006, 23:22
By doing that he's getting the same money back in deals again and again, thus giving him more used vouchers to spend in Sainsburys

Unfortunately, no Sainsbury's here, and Asda won't take them now. Actually, I'm not sure I've got the nerve to try this anyway. I wonder if it's going a bit too far?

Laura6
9th November 2006, 00:16
Unfortunately, no Sainsbury's here, and Asda won't take them now. Actually, I'm not sure I've got the nerve to try this anyway. I wonder if it's going a bit too far?

I will admit to the odd;) r&r but I don't think I've got the guts for this. I take my hat to the thought put into it though.:clap2:

SuzyWoo
9th November 2006, 08:09

I know how you feel! The number of times I've popped into Tescos the same say as I have a grocery order. Shameful really!:o

Mamzie
10th November 2006, 21:32
:love: you Mamzie you make me feel normal :D

Aww, thanks SS,

I know how you feel! The number of times I've popped into Tescos the same say as I have a grocery order. Shameful really!:o

Theres lots of us around, desperately trying to get the odd till spit or 10.....

Angel
11th November 2006, 11:37
I don't actually save any money using tesco deals, but it means I can have things I wouldn't expect to have otherwise.

This year we went to Canada for two weeks, and also got married over there. It was so expensive that we decided to forfeit a holiday in 2007, but thanks to tesco, we may well be having a holiday in 2007 after all.

Khufu
15th April 2008, 21:31
Not sure how I found this old thread - but its very odd cos its from the beginning - I can't believe a member is tentatively suggesting the Sainsbury's glitch and nobody jumps on it! When I found out about that I thought they'd only just introduced it and that in total it only lasted a few weeks but it seems it was there for months with few people taking advantage. Those were the days though!