PDA

View Full Version : New cat

Shimmer
10th September 2007, 10:08
I agreed to look after a cat for a few days due to a house move. 17 Days later she's still with us. I don't mind as she's no trouble but i have to keep her in my room (stinky litter tray a bit of a problem) as i have two other cats & a cat flap. In the evening we lock cat flap & let her have a couple of hours of running round the house. But she just want's to escape she cry's at windows & scratches at door's & cat flap. My question is when do you think it will be ok to let her go outside? Prior to this she lived in a flat about 3 miles away.

indy
10th September 2007, 11:32
personaly i think it would be a shame to keep her in all the time as she will have a better quality of life if she can come and go as she pleases but of course if you do let her out you run the risk of her not returning same as with any animal
old wives tale put butter on there paws and they will come back.
(dont let them walk over your carpets with it though.

starbabe79
10th September 2007, 12:33
please make sure it has a collar and i.d tag on before it goes out anywhere.mine went missing 2 weeks ago,and still havent found him,and am kicking myself as he had lost his collar the week before,so even if someone found him they couldnt contact me

Dominic
10th September 2007, 12:38
We have got four cats. One goes out a lot but we get her in at night most nights unless she is playing silly beggars.

We've got one that always used to go on the road (it is quite busy) and it was sadly a case of either being killed or keeping her in. Another that is very nervy of noises etc and again she stays in. The oldest is very wobbly and his hearing is iffy so he stays in. They seem happy enough and we take them round the garden and have got a big cage they go in outside. Inside they have run of the house.

If letting it out then they recommend keeping it in for a couple of months to get acclimatised to you. There is a big chance she will go back to her old house if you let her out too soon.

Are the new owners having it back or don't they want her back now :mad:

Dom

mutley muppet
10th September 2007, 12:38
Is she going to live with you permanently? If yes, then yes, I would let her go out (with ID on) but if she is just with you until her owners are settled then I would be a bit wary? What if she tries to go home and they are no longer there? You could try a little harness - sounds silly - but you can get them for cats & rabbits - she might not like it but at least she could have a little mooch in the garden & you might be able to guage if she will bolt or stay with you?
Good luck.
MM. x

bluwkd
10th September 2007, 12:52
please make sure it has a collar and i.d tag on before it goes out anywhere.mine went missing 2 weeks ago,and still havent found him,and am kicking myself as he had lost his collar the week before,so even if someone found him they couldnt contact me

lost one of mine in july and no sign of her since, she was microchipped so guess she's not been found and handed into vets or rescue centre... very worrying isn't it... hope your puss turns up x

cant really add anything new to shimmers original question as would have said pretty much what everyone else did, good luck with it :-)

Shimmer
10th September 2007, 14:56
Thank's for all your comments. I tagged her with my ID the day she came just in case she escaped. The cat belongs to the family, of my 14yr old daughters 16yr boyfriend. She begged & pleaded as they were that morning, on their way to BB awaiting rehousing! (my child hand picks boyfriends & friends that give me the most worry) Of course I'd now like her to stay & will keep her if they don't want her back. The harness is a brill idea i will get her one. Thank you everyone

Dominic
10th September 2007, 14:59
Thank's for all your comments. I tagged her with my ID the day she came just in case she escaped. The cat belongs to the family, of my 14yr old daughters 16yr boyfriend. She begged & pleaded as they were that morning, on their way to BB awaiting rehousing! (my child hand picks boyfriends & friends that give me the most worry) Of course I'd now like her to stay & will keep her if they don't want her back. The harness is a brill idea i will get her one. Thank you everyone

Wilko's do the harnesses quite cheap. My wife bought one last week, I can't wait until she gets one of ours to toddle off with us when we walk the dog :D

Dom

postiepaula
10th September 2007, 15:06
hi shimmer, good to see you posting...
sorry i can help with the cat issue only maybe see what the owners think..
it is very kind of you to take the cat on, hope you don't get too attached to it if you have to give it back...

was at your local a couple of weeks back...looking for h&b

not a sausage!!:(:(

had a good weekend anyway:)

Grace & Favour
10th September 2007, 18:53
And I'd add a comment to all the others above . .

If anyone is going to keep a cat - (or dog) I would seriously recommend that you microchip the little loves . . . . it's not that expensive, and whilst an animal can always lose a coller or ID tag, they will never lose the microchip . . .

Polo
10th September 2007, 20:14
http://www.cats.org.uk/catcare/leaflets/630_your_new_cat_or_kitten.pdf

Just found this online that you might find handy, recommends keeping in for approx 3 weeks before allowing outside - and not feeding just before going out so theres more chance of it coming back that sounds sensible!

Hope it goes ok - and if you do try to put butter on its paws - please take a picture and let us know how you get on!!

WELSH-DRAGON
10th September 2007, 20:53
My Misty was lost from the Monday until the Thursday evening when we managed to get her out of a locked house (owner on holiday) - it was a worrying/upsetting time and PTS members helped with their advice.

When I was about 9 year old my Dad brought my pet cat to see me at my Nan's house - he opened the car door and Blackie was gone. We never did find him.

When we rehomed Suki the rescue cat he stayed in for 3 weeks then he was Ok to go out.

Here is some useful advice: If You Have Lost Your Cat
The first thing to do if your cat goes missing is to check all of his/her usual favourite haunts. Make sure that you check inside & outside of your house:

Every room and the loft and basement
Look under the bed/s (including under the duvet)
Look anywhere that there might be a gap that the cat could have crawled into and hidden or got stuck. Examples would be: behind wardrobes, behind appliances in the kitchen (also check inside appliances such as washing machines - cats have been known to crawl inside when the door is left open), chimney, dustbin, compost bin etc.
Check your garden and garage thoroughly; look in your shed/greenhouse, check trees and hedgerows
Ask your neighbours to check their gardens, sheds, greenhouses etc.

We suggest that you go outside your house some time between the hours of 11pm & 6am and call your cat. During this time there is little to no traffic and you are more likely to be heard by your cat he or she is in the local area. Make sure that you do not go out alone and especially if you are under 18, ensure that you are accompanied by an adult.

It is possible that your cat might have travelled quite some distance; they can often get inside cars & vans unnoticed. This often happens when deliveries are made and van doors are left open. We have known cats to have travelled 7-8 miles by this method!

Gather Information
What you should do next is to gather together some details that can be registered with various organisations to assist your search:

If possible, dig out a photograph of the cat. Preferably this will show the whole body and the face - showing any distinctive features that the cat has. People will always remember photographs better than a description, no matter how detailed.
When and where (including street name as well as area) the cat was last seen.
Cat's name, gender, age
Colouring and whether long or short haired etc
Any distinctive features
Whether or not the cat has been neutered/spayed
Was the cat wearing a collar (what colour, any bell or disc etc?)
Whether or not the cat is microchipped
Your contact details (name, phone numbers etc)
Inform Local Organisations
Give these details to:

All local vets in your area
Any animal rescue organisations in your area, Local catteries
Local police stations , Neighbours, postman, window cleaner, milkman
Post Advertisements, You can also make up a poster/leaflet to advertise. Get plenty of copies made and distribute:

Do a door-to-door on your street and surrounding streets. If possible, ring or knock and speak to the person and explain what you are doing. People respond better face to face than to a(nother) leaflet through the door.
Ask to get a poster put up in any local: vets, post offices, newsagents, supermarkets, pet shops, pubs, youthclubs, social clubs and any other shop or establishment that you can. Attach posters to lamp posts, phone boxes, telegraph poles etc. Also display one on your front door
Place an ad in your local newspaper or on your local radio station; you can offer a reward if you want to - you don't have to state an amount, just put "reward available" on the posters/ leaflets.

Don't forget to look for "Cat found" notices in papers, shop windows etc on your travels!

Be positive - the earlier you act, the better the chances are of finding your cat. Cats can and do go missing for days and even weeks sometimes and come back safe and sound. There are even cases where cats have been missing for months and have still been reunited with their families. Remember that cats are incredibly resourceful creatures and (mostly!) very intelligent. They will seek out shelter and food and water. If and when you get that all-important call saying "I've found your cat", try not to get your hopes up too high. Importantly, make sure that you don't go alone when responding to a stranger's call - it may not be genuine.

IF YOU ARE UNDER 18: Please do NOT go out on your own, whether to post leaflets, to go house-to-house, to respond to an "I think I've found your cat" call, or any other reason. ALWAYS take an adult with you..and in fact, it is a good idea to take someone with you whatever age you are.

Be Prepared - However, you must always be prepared for the worst, and to this end, you should contact your local council Environmental Health Department. If you give them a description they will be able to check whether a cat matching that description has been reported killed on the roads.

When Your Cat Returns - Make a very big fuss of him/her and give them lots of treats. Make sure that you inform all of the local organisations that you registered your cat lost with, so that they can remove the details from their register. Also, retrieve your posters from shop windows, lamp posts etc. Finally, please ensure that (if not already done) you get your cat neutered and microchipped to help prevent this from happening again in the future (cats that are neutered are far less likely to roam away from their immediate surroundings).

Welshy x

Shimmer
15th September 2007, 22:49
Went to wilkos & got rabbit one (does say suitable for cats) bargain at 2.49 thank you Dom. Went walkies round garden on thursday she shook with fear & belly crawled to back door (no did'nt hop!) On friday night her 3 week anniversary she went to sniff air at back door then whoosh she was gone. Stayed up till 1am drinking wine ocean with SIL calling her & shaking biscuits but to no avail. Then at 5am was awoken by her little bell as she snuggled down happily.

WELSH-DRAGON
18th September 2007, 18:17
glad Shimmer that kitty seems settled now - we had a rescue cat aka Suki with the asbo and it was something that we would never want to repeat.

Since Misty was found safe and well she rarely goes outside

Welshy x

starbabe79
27th September 2007, 23:08
thanks to the advice i had on this thread regarding my missing cat. he miraculously turned up this morning after approx 5 weeks!!! he just appeared in the garden at 7.30am as though nothing has happened! have no idea where hes been , he looks really well, so hes been eating wherever hes been!!! hes been really affectionate all day ( as he always has been anyway) so just cant work out why he would willingly stay away from us , will probably never know.within 2 hours of being home , he has a new collar,and im hardly letting him out of my sight! lol and im also arranging to have him microchipped . just hoping he doesnt disappear again. sad to say,i had resigned myself to the fact that he just wasnt going to reappear & could only assume the worst!!! so as u can imagine,im gobsmacked and so happy to have him back!

WELSH-DRAGON
27th September 2007, 23:22
excellent news starbabe when I was little my black cat Sam turned up after several months - little tinkers they are.

I am not sure if you have had your cat neutered but when we had our 3 sorted - pets at home were doing a neutering with a free microchip at the same time.

Diesel the kitty in my avatar would not come in last night and I was worried about him so he had a lock in very early this evening - I hate these dark nights

Welshy x

Shimmer
28th September 2007, 11:11
Starbabe i'm so glad your cat has come home. On the downside some poor person will be fretting over "their" missing new cat!! My new baby who was meant to be here for a few days celebrates 5 weeks with us today. I wish i'd been more assertive at start i.e. more than a week & we keep her. The family are due to move to a flat above a takeaway at the weekend & want her back. I'm tempted to give them the daily mail clippings showing what they might do to her ............bit harsh maybe?

starbabe79
28th September 2007, 11:22
are you going to let them have the cat back? 5 weeks is an awful long time to then expect you to return it? bet you will be sad to see it go if you do give her back wont you?
my cat has completely settled back in as though he never left. hes spent almost the whole time curled up with me on the sofa , im really confused as to where hes been , i put leaflets through doors all over the place in our local area sp most people knew there was a black cat missing. what worries me is that someones took him in as hes such a lovely friendly cat and deliberately kept him in all this time , trying to make him their own.if so, how do i know they wont do it again. maybe its a bit far fetched but out of my 3 cats he is the one that is never far away from the doorstep waiting for someone to make a fuss of him,so its really odd!
i suppose it will remain one of lifes little mysterys!!!

Shimmer
28th September 2007, 11:34
Yes 5 weeks is a long time & she only arrived with 1 tin of food so she's real hungry now!! If my daughter had split with boyfriend i would tell them she'd runaway. Now back to your cat. Could you put a note in collar tag ie was really missed thanks for caring for her but......or do not feed if found on special diabetic diet.

starbabe79
28th September 2007, 12:45
hey,thats a good idea!! might just do that! thanks

Shimmer
2nd October 2007, 10:36
After 5 weeks & 3 days bad news. The cat owners moved into their new flat (above a takeaway on a busy main road) yesterday & turned up last night to take her back. When i brought her down she was not pleased to see them & scratched my back trying to get away. Tried to talk them into letting her stay but no. Back up to find her shaking in the wardrobe handed her over & she did the same thing again. Got her again, into cat carrier (mine) into car & dad shouts out she's escaped again. They tempted her in with food & off they went with her. I sent cat with a teddy & a box of food. Oh ta says Mum we are not shopping till tomorrow. They hav'ent even got her any ****** food in. Mum said do you drink red or white i'll buy you a bottle. Wow don't bother.

Shimmer
2nd October 2007, 10:39
& my ID is still on her & i said to Mum take it off when you get home as i don't want the squashed cat phone call thanks.

Irishsmurfy
2nd October 2007, 10:40
Awwwwwwwwww Shimmer - so sorry for you hun. Its so unfair to expect you to give cat back when she has basically become part of your family now.

Thinking of you (& poor cat too).

Shimmer
2nd October 2007, 10:42
Would it be really bad to steal her one night? I feel so sorry for her. How criminal is this?

WELSH-DRAGON
2nd October 2007, 18:27
shimmer - ah bless that's terrible and its sounds like the cat would have been better off with you too.

Welshy x

mutley muppet
2nd October 2007, 19:06
Would it be really bad to steal her one night? I feel so sorry for her. How criminal is this?

If I was in your shoes I would be tempted to go have a look and if she is out on the busy road, get her & bring her home. If the former owners come looking, just say she must have made her way home to you! Cats are amazing like that. They might see sense & let her stay with you? ;)

Good luck,
MM. x

Shimmer
2nd October 2007, 19:14
Don't encourage me i've already been working out which is the best cat napping outfit i've got! Would'nt it be lovely if she did find her way back by herself - only 2/3 miles away.

starbabe79
5th October 2007, 21:51
hows things going shimmer? sorry havent posted til now.hadnt seen the thread.
ive not got good news to post either , my cats gone again... he went out last night and didnt come home this morning. am gutted. hes been so affectionate , as normal, since he returned last week. and just like before he disappeared he hasnt ventured far away from the house til now. im sure its down to somebody taking him in , with the way hes been behaving being back home i just dont see that hes simply wandering off,not when he comes back looking so well! he now has a distinctive collar on , so at least if its a case of him going begging to someone else for food,they will see hes not a stray due to the collar , but i think someones taken a shine to him as he is such a friendly cat and theyve kept him in.
fingers crossed he will come bak in the morning at the usual time that i feed them all.

Tabby
5th October 2007, 21:59
Shimmer I am an absolute sucker for cats so I know how you must be feeling.
Can't you make an offer for the cat? I would be tempted to pay for her and have her back where she obviously feels safe and loved.
I hope you don't miss her too much :(

Shimmer
5th October 2007, 22:10
It's not good news.I saw the son yesterday & asked after cat. Oh yer she's fine we are already putting her out at night. I just don't get it with them.

Shimmer
21st February 2008, 13:05
My DD came back last night to say the family don't want the cat anymore & so do we want cat back for good this time!! Grrr just been talked into getting a kitten for my older cat, vet said older cat needs one to perk him up. Said I would pick her up tonight - not got a good feeling about this though.

shoppaholic45
21st February 2008, 14:10
aww shimmer poor cat, i hope that the cat will be ok and i think that it is better off with you

Shimmer
21st February 2008, 17:55
Just gave DD a lift to BF's. I waited in car with pet carrier, DD legged it up to flat & straight back with cat. Cat went straight in carrier & we are now home. Will keep you updated!

Shimmer
14th April 2008, 16:39
Well the good news is cat is settled & loves it back here with us again :) The bad news is she bought a tom cat home with her on saturday night :( The cheek of him, he just popped through the cat flap & settled down with her as if he lived here - I checked his crudentials & I'm afraid he had two large ones, he took this as an invite to leave! I was told she had been spayed but also my neutered boy cat would not leave her alone either so I take it she may well have been having a season (is that what there called for cats?) Is this the time of year for cats to mate?

He is not a local cat, never seen him before & I take it he got what he wanted as his not been back to see her since :eek:

:eyebrows:Will let you know in 65 days.

jimjam
14th April 2008, 20:20
cats still mate even when they have been done, i dont think its a time of year they have seasons like dogs, and if she was in season the tom cat would be constantly there (along with every cat in the neighbourhood)
my cats been done but the last time she came in season we had to lock the cat flap to stop all the toms getting in, they also kept us up for a few nights crying outside the house, i even tried to get rid of them by spraying them with a watering can but they wouldn't move

Made in Devon
14th April 2008, 20:50
Can I just tell you about mine? I have got 3 beautiful cats, Daisy, Arthur and "Kitten"

Daisy is pretty, skittish, ginger and white, a real scardey cat to everyone but us.
Arthur is a big ginger tom, with SEVEN toes on each foot.. and he's gay....He has got tortoiseshell feet, and according to our vet the colour mix he is, is not right, a male shouldn't have it, def a XX / XY chromosone mix, or something of the sort, he is the friendliest of all my babies, not to strangers though, and I love him like a child!

"Kitten" started life out as Lilly, but Lilly as it turned out was actually Leroy.... the name wouldn't stick so he is Kitten... Black with white feet and naughty beyond beleif...pounces on the other cats, pounces and scratches us, but oh, do we feel honoured when he graces us with his presence,

The three of them run this house, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Shimmer
14th April 2008, 21:14
cats still mate even when they have been done, i dont think its a time of year they have seasons like dogs, and if she was in season the tom cat would be constantly there (along with every cat in the neighbourhood)
my cats been done but the last time she came in season we had to lock the cat flap to stop all the toms getting in, they also kept us up for a few nights crying outside the house, i even tried to get rid of them by spraying them with a watering can but they wouldn't move

Never knew this have breathed a sigh of relief (kind of) & thanks boo too! My other girl who has been sorted & has been wth us about five years has never had a boy visit her:( although she is 13 next month & had lots of kittens before coming to us.

Kids will be gutted they've never had a new pet.

jimjam
14th April 2008, 22:27
my mum had a cat for 19 years it was actually born under her kitchen sink lol!
anyway when it was a young cat about 2 years old it regularly used to bring strange cats back to my mums for something to eat:eek:
it had this one in paticular who used to "call for it" everyday for years it was sat on top of our garage waiting for our cat to come out to play

jimjam
14th April 2008, 22:47
we had 2 cats well they both got pregnant last year:eek: first one had kittens on 3rd may second on the 7th may well the first one was useless she was more interested in afterbirth than kittens and managed to kill the first she had 4 altogether and only 2 survived (and only because i took them out of there sacks) the last one to be born she flat out refused to have anything to do with, she kept picking them up and hiding them, then running off outside
i ended up having to feed them with milk from the vets for a few days (thank god i used to breed dogs otherwise i would have been lost) anyway when the other one had her kittens she only had 2 and didnt need to help her at all she was fantastic, well long story short the first cat decide to run off and we have only seen glimpses of her since. she never ever comes back to the house talk about bad parenting, of course my dd was heartbroken as it was her cat, the good thing was the other cat took over feeding and cleaning the other kittens as well as her own and we ended up keeping the one she had nothing to do with
needless to say as soon as was advisable by the vet we took her down to be sterilised no way was i going through that again