PDA

View Full Version : Anyone eaten in London??

shopsomemore
10th September 2007, 22:50
I mean paid for with deals??

We are planning a couple of nights away and not sure where to eat??

Nothing too fancy but probably around theatre land as I will try and get cheap tickets - somewhere??

Want to sort the grub out to order deals as soon as.

So if you have any imput as to where to go or not to, it would be a great help.

tyroleandancer
11th September 2007, 00:49
I mean paid for with deals??

We are planning a couple of nights away and not sure where to eat??

Nothing too fancy but probably around theatre land as I will try and get cheap tickets - somewhere??

Want to sort the grub out to order deals as soon as.

So if you have any imput as to where to go or not to, it would be a great help.

check this site out
http://www.london-eating.co.uk/

JANED9388
11th September 2007, 06:39
If your're looking for cheap tickets try last minute.com. we saw "wicked" last week and it was excellent ?20 each, but you might want to try the ?25 tickets as we were a long way back. DIdn't spoil it though as the theatre is very well laid out.

Maverick
11th September 2007, 08:40
The live bait restaurants are nice if you like fish, or cafe rouge?

Raffles
11th September 2007, 09:11
Cheap theatre tickets. OK, listen and do not deviate!

The only LEGIT place to get discounted tickets in person is the two TKTS booths. There is one in Leicester Square (hugely busy, in a kiosk in the middle of the square) and one at Canary Wharf (on Platform 4 of the DLR station, always deserted). The list of stuff for sale changes every day but its online here:

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts/today

Do NOT buy from any of the other companies around Leic Square offering cheap tickets. They will rip you off. When you get to the front of the queue they will have no cheap tickets. They will offer you a ?45 seat instead. You pay ?45 and find that you have paid ?45 (the usual full price) for a seat with an ?18 face value. This is totally legal behaviour, by the way.

To book cheap tickets in advance, lastminute.com is your best bet (and Quidco cashback).

Food - most of the chains that Tesco support have branches nearby, especially Cafe Rouge. Go early, though, as theatre-land restaurants are always packed pre-show. My secret tip is the restaurant in the National Gallery which has its own restaurant and remains open into the evening when the gallery is shut. OK prices and always empty.

Alternatively, look at theatremonkey.com which - under each show - lists any specific special offers currently running.

My PERSONAL view is that you only buy top-price tickets. As a quick read at theatremonkey will tell you, theatre owners are also in the rip-off game. Most London theatres, if they were honest, would move around 30% of their top-price seats into a lower category as they are simply not worth it due to bad sight lines, overhanging balconies etc. If you start off by not paying for top-price seats then you are in trouble. That's why the TKTS booth is a great deal - they only sell top-price seats, albeit for half price.

Obviously it helps if you don't want tickets for a Fri or Sat when all the tourist coaches turn up. Midweek (well, Mon-Wed) is far quieter and therefore easier to get cheap seats, especially now the main overseas tourist peak is over.

shopsomemore
11th September 2007, 21:14
I will have a look on last min.. and see what comes up.
Thanks for all the advice.

Ladyshopper
11th September 2007, 21:23
If your're looking for cheap tickets try last minute.com. we saw "wicked" last week and it was excellent ?20 each, but you might want to try the ?25 tickets as we were a long way back. DIdn't spoil it though as the theatre is very well laid out.

Can thoroughly recommend Wicked, saw it last year when they were doing ?5 preview tickets, it was amazing.

shopsomemore
11th September 2007, 21:50
What do you think would be a good price as I have no idea how much tickets should be. I am looking now and for the dates we are going - november- there are only 4 shows showing mama mia being the cheapest at ?37. Is this a good price or not ??
Do you think they will add more later??

Raffles
11th September 2007, 22:06
Mamma Mia is never discounted as far as I know. ?37 will be a ?37 seat, so probably in the 3rd price band. Theatremonkey website will tell you how good these seats are. Billy Elliott is never discounted either. Anything else is fair game, to be honest.

You may be booking a bit early. Les Mis, for instance, is currently on lastminute at half price but they are only selling half-price tickets to October 20th. Wait a few weeks and they will open up more dates - I know this because I got 3 half-price tickets at 24hrs notice in the middle of the Summer peak, so you've got no probs for November as long as its not a Saturday night.

Mary Poppins is the same - half price to Oct 19th, still showing as full price after that. But not for long, I promise you.

shopsomemore
11th September 2007, 22:08
Oh thanks for that - have rep. We were going for Sat night but could do Friday.

f1girly
11th September 2007, 22:50
There's a Bella Italia nr Trafalgar Sq we went to a couple of weeks ago, could only pay for food with deals but it was lovely.

vfm
12th September 2007, 12:19
I took my niece to Planet Hollywood for her 21st whilst in London to see Dirty Dancing. I found Planet Hollywood well placed for the theatres, good food and a very good atmosphere. It was somewhere different, we paid in full in deals and thoroughly enjoyed it.

lissadell
12th September 2007, 19:12
i liked the cafe uno near charing cross under ground, round the corner from the adelphi on the strand .

nettie_b
12th September 2007, 22:20
took the kids to see Wicked last year on a friday evening ?20 tickets - excellent. went to cafe rouge for tea which was lovely and easy enough to walk from coach station.
Also went planet hollywood, which i didnt like, very busy and rush rush and commercial - kids gave it thumbs up but it was a saturday night so to be expected - still been there done that - wouldnt have done it if tesco werent paying thou so cant complain really.
cafe rouge and bella have both good reps if you've got kids.

tyroleandancer
9th January 2008, 17:54
Seeing grease on the 26th. Would prefer to eat after the show
Any suggestions please
won't be using deals
thank you

holliemon
9th January 2008, 18:32
Not sure which theatre grease is in at the moment but we usually look around the street of the theatre at the restaurants before we go in and book one for when the show finishes. Dont leave it until you come out as a lot are closing - they seem to close around 10 - 10.30 - early I Know

they also tend to charge a large surcharge if you have more than 6 in your party so if you do it is wise to have two tables

We go at the end of January (Frid til Sun) every year and we never have a problem booking a table just before the show.

Ask is a good place - r u taking children.

Also if you want a drink in the show - take those little bottles of wine (yes from Tesco when we all got them cheap) - they let you drink while the show is on or at the interval.

Grease is brilliant by the way - enjoy

tyroleandancer
9th January 2008, 19:06
Not sure which theatre grease is in at the moment but we usually look around the street of the theatre at the restaurants before we go in and book one for when the show finishes. Dont leave it until you come out as a lot are closing - they seem to close around 10 - 10.30 - early I Know

they also tend to charge a large surcharge if you have more than 6 in your party so if you do it is wise to have two tables

We go at the end of January (Frid til Sun) every year and we never have a problem booking a table just before the show.

Ask is a good place - r u taking children.

Also if you want a drink in the show - take those little bottles of wine (yes from Tesco when we all got them cheap) - they let you drink while the show is on or at the interval.

Grease is brilliant by the way - enjoy

Thank you
Grease is at the Piccadilly Theatre
yes we have teenagers with us

miss bargainmad
9th January 2008, 20:04
If you like pizza you can't beat Fire and Stone in Covent Garden, Maiden Lane.
We went there on Sunday 30th December. We booked on their website and had a pizza and a glass of wine or bottle of beer at the special rate of ?6 per person.

Very similar to Pizza Express types of pizzas with some more unusual ones as well.

Have a look on their website.

angelic
3rd February 2008, 21:34
Has anyone eaten at Bertorelli's in Frith Street?

It has mixed reviews on one site I looked at....we want to eat pre-theatre and welcome any comments if anyone has been please?

Any recommendations for other restaurants near Tottenham Court Road would be most welcome - thanks :)

tyroleandancer
3rd February 2008, 21:36
Have you checked this site out?
you can put the area in and serach for restaurants

Raffles
3rd February 2008, 21:50
There is a Pizza Express on a quiet side street just west of Tott Ct Road which is very close to We Will Rock You (assuming that is your destination). See: http://www.pizzaexpress.com/rest/rd4.htm Usual top quality food at good prices and too hidden away for the theatre crowd to find.

angelic
4th February 2008, 10:48
Have you checked this site out?
you can put the area in and serach for restaurants

Thanks Tyrole, that is a great site and really useful, have saved to faves :)

angelic
4th February 2008, 10:49
There is a Pizza Express on a quiet side street just west of Tott Ct Road which is very close to We Will Rock You (assuming that is your destination). See: http://www.pizzaexpress.com/rest/rd4.htm Usual top quality food at good prices and too hidden away for the theatre crowd to find.

Many thanks for your tip, Raffles, definitely one to consider :)

Yes, we are going to We Will Rock You, so excited and can't wait :clap2:

tttessa
4th February 2008, 13:52
When we went to London last summer, we stayed at the Marriott Regent's park - on points . Actually in Swiss Cottage area, so don't know why they can call it Regent's Park!!! - but really nice place to stay - with a nice pool and great breakfast!

ate at Planet Hollywood and Bella Italia in the evening - on points and visited the Tower of London and London zoo - on points, all in all a great trip - can recommend both Planet Hollywood and Bella Italia - though only Planet Hollywood let us pay for soft drinks on Tesco points Bella Italia required payment for any drinks. You can also book Planet Hollywood tables in advance on their website.

Tessa