PDA

View Full Version : car hire - florida

colman
15th October 2007, 18:41
anyone used any good companies that they can recommend obviously you cant use avis in the states which is a shame....has anyone had any good experiences of who to use....need a 6 seater...

chirpy007
15th October 2007, 18:51
I have used usrentacar and airlinenetwork both very good companies and excellent prices.

Rufus the Red
15th October 2007, 19:16
I use www.allstatescarhire.com, they use Dollar, they were the cheapest I could find a couple of years ago and i've stuck with them, a 7 seater 'van' (Chrysler Voyager size) for two weeks is ?298.00 and they price beat by a fiver!

HTH
Paul

Gizmos
15th October 2007, 19:18
i used Avis and get the Tesco points for it - worked out at ?300 ish for over two weeks in 4x4
plus if you have spouse family as additional driver it cost no more

mpet
15th October 2007, 20:48
I like Alamo, because they let you pick your own car. You book a category (i.e Full size). When you go to the Alamo desk, they give you a receipt and send you across to the garage, you can then pick any car from the full size row.

Rufus the Red
15th October 2007, 21:54
I like Alamo, because they let you pick your own car. You book a category (i.e Full size). When you go to the Alamo desk, they give you a receipt and send you across to the garage, you can then pick any car from the full size row.

Actually in that case it could be Alamo that allstatescarhire use!!

Gizmos
15th October 2007, 21:54
there are a few car hire places that do that - however it does depend on where you are picking up as well

veebee23454
16th October 2007, 00:07
You could try carhire3000, we used them in the US this year and got gd deals which inc free tank of petrol & additional driver. The main thing is to make sure your price includes everything including all insurances, liabilities and the excess. US car hire companies don't quote the full inclusive amount and you can end up paying the same again to get full cover.

NatsDad
17th October 2007, 18:39
I would recommend usrentacar and airline network. USrentacar ususally have special offers that mean you get a bigger vehicle for the cost of the size below. You can also use 'ONLINE' in the promotion code to get another ?5 off. I always take the 'gold' or 'platinum' option which means you get a full tank and extra drivers for free. It also usually means they don't hassle you at the desk for upgrades etc.

colman
18th October 2007, 10:01
thanks ND - does the gold option cover any excesses if we have a prang or will we have to take that at the desk ?

NatsDad
18th October 2007, 13:10
thanks ND - does the gold option cover any excesses if we have a prang or will we have to take that at the desk ?

The figures they quote on USrentacar and airline network are all inclusive which includes the insurance. The gold option adds a full tank of fuel (so you can return empty avoiding having to fill car on the way back to the airport) and extra drivers.

Bigbairn
18th October 2007, 14:28
Remember that Airline network are available through Quidco. Also if you arrange a car through them with Dollar then it is worth going onto the Dollar.com website and registering for Dollar Express. I registered a few weeks ago and my card arrived from the US the other day. This allows me to go straight into the priority queue at the airport when I arrive.

colman
23rd December 2008, 13:31
can't remember who it is but someone on PTS (maybe gavvy) can't remember)...said to take the car hire that virgin offer and then pay for your own insurance is that right...previously i have booked a separate car with another company...but then i remember someone saying it is cheaper the other way...

smithrm36
23rd December 2008, 14:07
I have been to Florida more than 20 times in the last 10 years. the Cheapest option is to get your own car hire every time. Even if you have to book a virgin holiday that includes car hire - don't take up their offer, the car insurance they charge you is incredible.
my current favourite is allstatescarhire.com.
Give them a try and see how much it is for a quote - they seem to be the cheapest i can find. If anyone can find cheaper - let me know

Fudge
23rd December 2008, 14:12
Give them a try and see how much it is for a quote - they seem to be the cheapest i can find. If anyone can find cheaper - let me know

If we find a cheaper one, will you price match them then? LOL!

colman
23rd December 2008, 14:16
I have been to Florida more than 20 times in the last 10 years. the Cheapest option is to get your own car hire every time. Even if you have to book a virgin holiday that includes car hire - don't take up their offer, the car insurance they charge you is incredible.

we've never taken virgin's car either...last time we used usrentacar which were good....

rainbow
23rd December 2008, 17:11
We went through Thrifty, and collected the car from Holiday Inn on Idrive. Best price we could find at the time.

defgimp
25th December 2008, 14:35

Ditto ;)

I like allstates, but the times I have used them they have been Dollar who can be useless if there is anything else on (we happened to land on Daytona weekend and they had given our car to someone else as we were late, by 35 minutes which was a delay in Gatwick nothing to do with us in Florida, we had to wait for nearly 2 hours while they found another car and even then we had to take something we hadn't ordered).

Have used holidayautos through egg (10% off) which have been cheapest I can find just lately. (These were Alamo, which like someone else said, pay for a size and take your pick of the cars available, something Dollar never used to do, unless they've changed it :confused:)

They have all gone up over the last few months with the exchange rate being pants.

Make sure the tank of gas option is actually worth it? Gas was over $4 a gallon earlier this year, it's now back to around $2.

Also, while the extra driver option is nice, we have never used it yet :shocked:
Missus lets me do all the driving, good of her.

Hope that helps and have a great time when you get there :)

Gizmos
25th December 2008, 15:09
used corretly Avis is very compeitive
under ?300 for a fortnights hire of a 4x4 with all taxes and insurance and two drivers - cant fault them

Fudge
26th December 2008, 14:03
If you take the car hire from Virgin but don't take their insurance, can you take a policy out with another company to cover the vehicle?

If so, who is the cheapest?

Gizmos
26th December 2008, 14:17
just done my avis again for next yer two weeks 4 x4 all inc paid for now 240 - might not seem a bargain but with not knowing how far dolar pound will plumit i think its pretty good value

defgimp
26th December 2008, 23:59
just done my avis again for next yer two weeks 4 x4 all inc paid for now 240 - might not seem a bargain but with not knowing how far dolar pound will plumit i think its pretty good value

Can you give us a bit more info please :)

My quote for 2 weeks on a 4x4 through Avis is over ?400 for next year :confused:

Was this Avis UK or .com?

Thanks

Floosy
27th December 2008, 00:51
Used dollar and used them in 2004 as well.. Great service.

Gizmos
27th December 2008, 10:28
Can you give us a bit more info please :)

My quote for 2 weeks on a 4x4 through Avis is over ?400 for next year :confused:

Was this Avis UK or .com?

Thanks

through the Tesci link - Class W vehicle

defgimp
27th December 2008, 18:17
through the Tesci link - Class W vehicle

Thanks for that, although it didn't help much (unless I'm using the wrong link?)

I went through an old link on avis regarding clubcards, but it still came up with a price of ?418 for 2 weeks, no where near ?240 and my quote was for 1 driver?

Perhaps you could PM me the link, would rather pay ?240 than ?418+ ;)
Best deal I could find anywhere else was around ?310 for a small 4x4.

Thanks again :)

Gizmos
27th December 2008, 18:21
PM the etails and will lookfor you

Hooked on points
28th December 2008, 21:07
Gizmos...I would be interested in the link also :) Go in April 09 for 14nights:plane:

Gizmos
28th December 2008, 21:12
seems better deal via ba now only got teother one to ?378 all in - think its a lot to do with timing

defgimp
31st December 2008, 00:27
Looking for car hire came across this which seems to be an old link but gives some excellent prices considering the exchange rate at the moment ;)

This one here (http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount)

Don't think there is a way to these through Tesco's for points :confused:
But it may be possible to get some cashback/points elsewhere?

Hope it helps?