PDA

View Full Version : York

Polo
16th October 2007, 23:51
Going to York next week - woo woo - can't wait!

Anyone have any good hints, tips, recommendations of places to eat, (where the nearest tesco is?!?!?), whats good to see and do, etc etc. And of course, any ways to save the pennies whilst we are there.

Have booked into a B&B not far from the city centre, so hoping to rely on our little feet as much as possible.

(just to clarify its York in Yorkshire - not New York!)

Thanks in advance.

clockwatcher
17th October 2007, 00:19
The Minster, the Castle Museum, Clifford's Tower (weather permitting), the York Dungeon if you like that sort of thing, Jorvik Viking Centre and the National Railway Museum (especially if you have kids).

If you have time, there are two Tesco Extras and two Tesco Expresses! :rolleyes:

When I'm in York, if I want to sit down for a light lunch, I go to the Spurriergate Centre, which is an old church that has been turned into a cafe.

Beej
17th October 2007, 08:52
If the weather is good you can walk the Roman walls.

Khufu
17th October 2007, 09:20
Castle Museum is ace you can spend all day in there it has a great mixture of things

mhoc
17th October 2007, 09:49
My daughter is a second year uni student at YSJ but before that we were going on hoiliday for years so from going backwards and forwards I know loads about York, ask anything you like.

Tesco - there is a great Park and Ride service at Askam Bar up by the race course, its only ?2 return into town. The Tesco there is massive, it is very difficult to get out of the place and do what you acutally went to do, which is see York. My favourite Tesco though is at Clifton Moor and I think you can get buses from town up there from town, saves having to master the ring road.

Where you can use clubcard deals - in the middle of town is a Bella pasta and a HaHa - there is our favourite place to eat, reckon on between ?20 and ?30 in Tesco clubcard deals for a meal for 2 with drinks. It is a great place in the evening but booking is advisable.

Also can use them at the Jorvic centre.

I think Yates is on the list as well but not sure of that.

Please can you tell me where you are staying, which street?

Everyone walks in York so forget taking your heels, you will need trainers and boots. Our legs really ache even after a weekend, it is really punishing on the legs but it is a place you would never tire of. The bus service is good though but traffic is very heavy so they can be slow.

Its a safe place to walk around in during the evening and early morning - quite a good idea actually to walk about whilst the tourists are not about. Dont advise walking about in the evening though when the races have been on like last weekend.

Plenty of free things to do - walking the walls, the railway museum for wet days, also free guided walks of the city if you like your history. You can also see the Scarborough spa steam train going through twice a day.

We also went to the Hun street dig in August, brilliant place if you like Time Team, it will make loads of sense. We got an hour long indivual guided tour for only ?1 each :)

We have not found anywhere cheap to have a cup of tea in the city so if you drink gallons a flask might come in handy.

Other places to eat - several Pizza Huts, wetherspoons at the back of the eye looks very stylish and is at least consistent.
Also for novelty the Sleepers Hotel just off the A19 at Benningborough has jazz evenings on a Thursday and buffet nights and also does bar food - its the one with the railway carriages right next to the fast lline of the railway.
Also Harkers in the square opposite Bettys does good food, great garlic bread in particualar.

Another good activity for a wet day is to do the charity shops, most of them are on one street so you can go from one end to the other.

Anything else just ask!

lalaiterie
17th October 2007, 10:09
You could always go and watch the mighty York City FC at Bootham Crescent.

Dan

Grace & Favour
17th October 2007, 10:12
Lovely post mhoc . .

Have repped you!

mhoc
17th October 2007, 10:27
Lovely post mhoc . .

Have repped you!

The best thing is not to get me started on the subject of York because I can bore for Britain on the subject.

If you can tear yourself away from York itself and love history, you need English Heritage and National Trust membership, masses of historail sites, historic houses, vanished villages, ruins etc to vist within an hour or so drive for free with your membership. EH membership you can get with Tesco clubcard deals.

In York itself if you are in town and go to the White Horse pub on the corner of Bootham by the corner of Gillygate and there is a gorgeous blonde behind the bar, that is my eldest. Then you can pm me and tell me what she is up to :)

clareo122
17th October 2007, 10:42
York is my home town love the place wish I could afford to move back there.
From personal experaince I've had no problems using vouchers mainly extra points at either of the large tescos.
Depending on which side of York you are stayin- if on the outskirts rather than the actual centre there are a number of park and rides at least one from each main rd into the city
Parking in the centre I try to avoid personally as finding spaces isn't easy

mhoc
17th October 2007, 11:19
This is the best ghost walk

http://www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/yorkghostwalk/

we went on it at the end of August, great fun, very entertaining. The storyteller was chatting to us on the way, asking my daughter where she lived and told (invented probally :)) my daughter about a ghost in the house where she was living. It was so real, she got herself so wound up that later as we stood under a tree a leaf fell on her head and she yelped and jumped out of her skin:D

mhoc
17th October 2007, 11:24
We have found that if you need to park in the city get in very very early. We have parked on the carpark at the end of Gillygate and on the Marysgate car park off Bootham,arrive early and leave mid afternoon before the traffic starts again. It is quite expensive and you also pay for night time parking, at least on Marygate. But both of these mean you only have a 5 miite walk into
town. But the park and ride service is excellent.
I've had mixed results with coupon usage at both Tescos but they are both big stores and I also have had no problem going to CS to return items. Askam Bar has a great clothing department upstairs.

York is my home town love the place wish I could afford to move back there.
From personal experaince I've had no problems using vouchers mainly extra points at either of the large tescos.
Depending on which side of York you are stayin- if on the outskirts rather than the actual centre there are a number of park and rides at least one from each main rd into the city
Parking in the centre I try to avoid personally as finding spaces isn't easy

beltabout
17th October 2007, 11:44
if you are doing the sights it may be worth looking at this

http://www.yorkpass.com/

it seems like a good deal - i keep thinking i will do it one holiday with the kids but haven't got round to it yet

jane

mhoc
17th October 2007, 11:55
if you are doing the sights it may be worth looking at this

http://www.yorkpass.com/

it seems like a good deal - i keep thinking i will do it one holiday with the kids but haven't got round to it yet

jane

Yes its a good deal but if the pass is valid for only one day you could easily go into overload, far too many things to do and to do really well in one day. I think you really need to plan your time because you can easily end up a complete wreck trying to cram too much in. Also depends on the ages of your children, loads to do for the under 12s but unless they are obsessed with history they could get bored.
The first time I did the free city walk I took my teenagers with me and they soon got fed up but they though the York Dungeons was great, too scary for most little uns though

beltabout
17th October 2007, 14:38
Yes its a good deal but if the pass is valid for only one day you could easily go into overload, far too many things to do and to do really well in one day. I think you really need to plan your time because you can easily end up a complete wreck trying to cram too much in. Also depends on the ages of your children, loads to do for the under 12s but unless they are obsessed with history they could get bored.
The first time I did the free city walk I took my teenagers with me and they soon got fed up but they though the York Dungeons was great, too scary for most little uns though

you can get a 1, 2 or 3 day pass and they are all good value if you are planning to do some of the 'paid' activities listed but I agree you couldn't do them all it would be too much

Polo
17th October 2007, 23:05
Gosh, sounds like there's loads to do!
Thanks all, have repped some but have to spread the love and now I'm all out, hurmph!

Should have said we have no kids, just me and hubby (whose like a kid but!). Not sure exactly where we are staying but they do have a car park, and is about 10 mins walk to York Minister.

We visited york briefly a couple of months ago, and absolutely loved it, so going to celebrate 5 whole years of marriage there!

Thanks for the food info, The Spurriergate Centre sounds interesting, whereabouts is it?

We're only staying B&B, so hoping we can last out and manage on one large meal, but if I know my hubby he'll be wailing "I'm hungry" by about 11am!!

Wow Mhoc, so much info - Thanks so much!! I'm going to print the thread off and show hubby, will certainly know where to come for more information!

Very interested in the freebie stuff, sounds like theres a lot to do! Will investigate the york pass we did something similar in dublin, and whilst good value it was a bit of a route march to try and see everything before the pass expired!
Anyways, thanks all, keep the good ideas coming.....

Polo
29th October 2007, 08:46
Hi All

Just to say thanks for the advice again, we had a fab few days and want to go back again, there is so much to do we didn't do all of what we planned!!!

So better start saving for the next trip!!

Thanks again, your advice was all very helpful

sammybear
29th October 2007, 08:52
Hi All

Just to say thanks for the advice again, we had a fab few days and want to go back again, there is so much to do we didn't do all of what we planned!!!

So better start saving for the next trip!!

Thanks again, your advice was all very helpful

Hi Polotoo
Glad you had a good time :)

Can i ask where did you stay? I went to York as a kid and always wanted to go back, i remember the shambles and york minster !

Did you go to the dungeons and on a ghosty walk ? :eek:

S

Polo
29th October 2007, 22:36
Hi Polotoo
Glad you had a good time :)

Can i ask where did you stay? I went to York as a kid and always wanted to go back, i remember the shambles and york minster !

Did you go to the dungeons and on a ghosty walk ? :eek:

S

Hey sammybear

We stayed at a wonderful B&B not too far from the city centre. http://www.alexanderhouseyork.co.uk/ Very welcoming and helpful, without being obtrusive - choose it after spending hours searching, 'cos I have high standards, and it was the only one with consistently great reviews on tripadvisor!

We did the original ghost walk, as recommended by Mhoc, which was good, but very busy so not too sure if it was good value for money - there must have been 60 people following the guy around, very entertaining!!
Didn't go to the dungeons - the queues were huge!! Think going to york this close to halloween, and kids half term, in hindsight was perhaps not such a good idea - but as we missed those places, and we love the city, I'm trying to pursuade hubby to take me back in december - perhaps for the christmas markets?!?!?!
Also made use of some tesco vouchers in cafe uno, but believe you can use them for the yorvik centre, so thats another thing for next time!!

Fantastic atmosphere I can't recommend it enough if you are wanting a short break away! lovely to walk around, and didn't feel threatened at all, until sat night when lots of hen/stag and student do's - and very very drunk people!!

Go if you get the chance!!

shoppaholic45
3rd January 2008, 01:57
Ive been reading this thread aftet polo kindly sent me the link. Im looking to go to york on the 14th feb with my oh, we wil be staying at the marriot for two nights, we will want to go out for meals on a evening, we like indian, chinese, mexican, spanish, italian. Can anyone recommened a nice resturant and do i need to book. Im using all the clubcard deals i have at the mo for the hotel and so will be paying for meals with money

mhoc
4th January 2008, 16:53
Yes there is a St nicholas Fayre and the following weekend its the festival of Angels so look on the York website to check these dates and its not too early to book your weekend hotels etc now. :D

Avoid weekends when York Races are on. Everyone walks around the town afterwards very dressed up, posh frocks and high heels which makes you feel very inadequate. Also because some of them have been drinking since 2 in the afternoon there is often some very load out of tune singing, vomiting and using of alley ways for toilet purposes. We made the mistake of being there in September when it was a race weekend :mad:

Yes York is very very busy at half terms and its a bit confusing because the half terms are differnt to ours. Its busy as it is so its best as you can if you can avoid a half term week.
Mary

Hey sammybear

We stayed at a wonderful B&B not too far from the city centre. http://www.alexanderhouseyork.co.uk/ Very welcoming and helpful, without being obtrusive - choose it after spending hours searching, 'cos I have high standards, and it was the only one with consistently great reviews on tripadvisor!

We did the original ghost walk, as recommended by Mhoc, which was good, but very busy so not too sure if it was good value for money - there must have been 60 people following the guy around, very entertaining!!
Didn't go to the dungeons - the queues were huge!! Think going to york this close to halloween, and kids half term, in hindsight was perhaps not such a good idea - but as we missed those places, and we love the city, I'm trying to pursuade hubby to take me back in december - perhaps for the christmas markets?!?!?!
Also made use of some tesco vouchers in cafe uno, but believe you can use them for the yorvik centre, so thats another thing for next time!!

Fantastic atmosphere I can't recommend it enough if you are wanting a short break away! lovely to walk around, and didn't feel threatened at all, until sat night when lots of hen/stag and student do's - and very very drunk people!!

Go if you get the chance!!

cherry pie
4th January 2008, 17:00
i cant believe no one mentioned bettys tea room in this thread. its expensive but its a must for a nice afternoon tea.

Littlemissjojo
4th January 2008, 17:01
I've just enjoyed reading this thread too - me & DH are going to the York Marriott in May for 2 nights for our 10th wedding anniversary! Wow, loads of ideas of things to do now!

shoppaholic45
4th January 2008, 17:02
Thanks mhoc and cherry, we are going on the 29 of feb now for one night as they didn't have the nights we wanted

mhoc
5th January 2008, 19:46
i cant believe no one mentioned bettys tea room in this thread. its expensive but its a must for a nice afternoon tea.

It depends if you like joining a mile long queue and standing outside in the cold and wet (and snow) :D

Instead go to Harkers across the square, nice and want and cosy on wet days especially the small room on the right as you go in and the best garlic cheese bread anywhere

Polo
5th January 2008, 19:50
It depends if you like joining a mile long queue and standing outside in the cold and wet (and snow) :D

Instead go to Harkers across the square, nice and want and cosy on wet days especially the small room on the right as you go in and the best garlic cheese bread anywhere

Ahhh..... I know where you mean now!! The queue was huge when we were there - I think we did go to harkers! Well we went somewhere else anyway, couldn't see what all the fuss was about.....it looked nice, but I wasn't gonna stand in a long queue to get a cuppa and bun! :tea:

cherry pie
6th April 2008, 16:03
im really hoping someone can help me with this. im writing my dissertation about town planning and i need a quote or two.
if anyone knows New Earswick or Osbaldwwick could you tell me what you think of them visually? is New Earswick a nice village? well laid out? just that kind of thing. i dont have the time to go and interview people properly.:p
thanks

suziq
6th April 2008, 19:58
hi, sis lives in york, i cud ask her for u

clockwatcher
6th April 2008, 20:23
If you have Google Earth, you should be able to look at aerial photos of the area, which might be of interest.

cherry pie
7th April 2008, 13:44
If you have Google Earth, you should be able to look at aerial photos of the area, which might be of interest.

already done that. i just need some quotes from people who know the area well. a few people have PMd me.

Littlemissjojo
6th May 2008, 20:00
Just resurrecting this thread!!

can anyone (mhoc perhaps!) tell me how far it is from the marriott (tadcaster rd) into the town centre? dont think it looks walkable, what is best option? is parking a problem in the centre?

mhoc
6th May 2008, 20:05
Just resurrecting this thread!!

can anyone (mhoc perhaps!) tell me how far it is from the marriott (tadcaster rd) into the town centre? dont think it looks walkable, what is best option? is parking a problem in the centre?

Yes you found me. I think the park and ride bus goes along Tadcaster Road and ends up at the big Tesco at the top.

Parking is possible in the city but it means going in very early and its quite expensive and you also pay at night. Far better to use the buses or walk. Best to get into training as soon as possible, even after a weekend my legs kill but the buses are plentiful.

Anything else just ask. Just going to read some pages back now to refresh my memory.

mhoc
6th May 2008, 20:07
Yes, we found this, its at the end of the shambles, the sort of place only locals know about. Nice cheap cups of tea and light lunches like soup and rolls, brilliant place to escape the tourists

The Minster, the Castle Museum, Clifford's Tower (weather permitting), the York Dungeon if you like that sort of thing, Jorvik Viking Centre and the National Railway Museum (especially if you have kids).

If you have time, there are two Tesco Extras and two Tesco Expresses! :rolleyes:

When I'm in York, if I want to sit down for a light lunch, I go to the Spurriergate Centre, which is an old church that has been turned into a cafe.

mhoc
6th May 2008, 20:16
There are two new York things you can do with Tesco clubcard deals, the Arc and Barley Hall.

Best thing we've found to do are the free guided works, check the TI for times.

Also we found Wetherspoons beyond the Eye, another good place for lunches and cheap meals and drinks and everyone has their wetherspoons vouchers.

Also if you are in York on the last Friday of the month the theatre has guided tours, small charge but you can also do tea as well. So a good idea to ring them and check the dates time etc and then if you are coming up for the weekend go up early on a Friday.

http://www.brittrips.co.uk/home/

The Treasurers House is also on the list for the Walkers National Trust offer, you need 25 points (plenty of codes about for free points) to get a free family entrance ticket, right in the middle of York, also has a nice garden for eating your ?1 Greggs Baguette :)

Littlemissjojo
6th May 2008, 20:21
Yes you found me. I think the park and ride bus goes along Tadcaster Road and ends up at the big Tesco at the top.

Parking is possible in the city but it means going in very early and its quite expensive and you also pay at night. Far better to use the buses or walk. Best to get into training as soon as possible, even after a weekend my legs kill but the buses are plentiful.

Anything else just ask. Just going to read some pages back now to refresh my memory.

Thanks so much!

Park & ride sounds best option I think. We are planning to visit the railway museum (DH big on trains :rolleyes:) and the Jorvik centre (got some free tickets!) and I want to do a ghost walk. Read your prev post re: a good one - will look for that.

Have also got some deals vouchers going spare so have just written a little list of addresses of deal-taking restaurants!

Am I sad......or just hugely enjoying the planning, as it makes the trip so much more fun!!!!! :D:D

(also just printed the AA routemaster for directions!!)

angelic
6th May 2008, 21:01
It is a while since we were last in York, but for us the car boot on York race course was a must :)
We spent an enjoyable few hours baragain hunting there, it used to run on non race days, is it still running?

Littlemissjojo
12th May 2008, 07:39
Wow!

Got back last night, had absolutely brilliant time! :clap2::clap2:

The hotel was superb - York Marriott - can thoroughly recommend it. We were upgraded to a grandstand room - which is a room with a balcony and view of the racecourse! And extra nice bathroom with bath and separate walk-in shower (huge - big enough for two! ;) )

Staff so friendly and helpful, nothing too much trouble, great breakfasts!

We did a ghost walk, went to the railway museum, went to Jorvik, went to the treasurers house and visited the Minster (including climbing 275 steps up to the top of the tower!) The weather has been superb, so warm and sunny.

Got to go back to work today now! :mad:

Floosy
12th May 2008, 07:41
Love the and where is the nearest Tesco?? LMAO. Oh assures me there isn't one around for a 25 minute drive, where he lives... I know different its 3 miles up the road!

Littlemissjojo
12th May 2008, 07:44
rofl...

Well..actually we did pop into the big tescos on the way home...well it was just up the road and they had confetti, it would have been rude not to buy any!!!!

mhoc
24th May 2008, 15:11
Guess where I am????? yes fav place. Also found a bar/eatery with free wi-fi so I can catch up with PTS. called Varsity, just along the dtreet from the PO.
Got some MOCs taken in Tesco last night but no goody bags at the pharmacy.

Alos found some ?2 off Pernod mOCs possibly only for Tesco though

sammybear
4th June 2008, 20:18
Hi all,
I am going to York for a few days tomorrow, i want to go to the dungeons and the haunted pub and maybe a ghost walk.:D

Anything else you lot think is worth doing ? the last time i went to York i was about 10 years old, so its been a while :rolleyes:

thanks guys

Sammy x :)

Gizmos
4th June 2008, 20:21
there is a wheel there next to the Railway museum a bit like the London Eye

Grace & Favour
4th June 2008, 20:24
Hi Sammy,

York is simply brilliant - - there is so much to do . . .

Have a quick gander at York Tourism (http://www.visityork.org/)

numpty
4th June 2008, 20:26
Walk around the walls, thats fun and free!

Dominic
4th June 2008, 20:31
There's already a long thread on this somewhere! Polo started it last year! Can't link to it as (becomes Dom Joly) I'M ON THE PHONE. WHAT? THE PHONE. NO. ITS RUBBISH. CIAO. (With apologies to those who aren't familiar with Dom Joly) :D

Grace & Favour
4th June 2008, 20:33
There's already a long thread on this somewhere! Polo started it last year! Can't link to it as (becomes Dom Joly) I'M ON THE PHONE. WHAT? THE PHONE. NO. ITS RUBBISH. CIAO. (With apologies to those who aren't familiar with Dom Joly) :D

Sorry - I couldn't confuse you with Dom Joly, he's (probably ) bigger and younger than you!!!!:D:D:D:D

Polo
4th June 2008, 20:34
lol @ G&F

I was just coming to say theres a nice long thread about this, and here it is....am jealous sammy - I wanna go back! Have a great time!

sammybear
4th June 2008, 20:34
great thanks for linking it up to polos thread guys X

sammybear
4th June 2008, 20:35
lol @ G&F

I was just coming to say theres a nice long thread about this, and here it is....am jealous sammy - I wanna go back! Have a great time!

thanks hun- looking at this theres loads to do- i might have to go a few times to fit it all in :D
x
oh and i see there is a tesco's- what a bonus !! :)

sammybear
7th June 2008, 20:51
Back from york and came back early yesterday as i felt really unwell, anyway York is a lot busier and bustlier than i remember.
Queens Hotel was nice, good central location on the river.
River boat was good and it was lovely and sunny. The dungeons are so cheesy though and not worth the money IMO.

Nice little break though :)

mhoc
8th June 2008, 13:04
Yes, York is busier than ever all year round. When we go up we tend to go into town early, do everything we need to and get out by 12 oclock.

There are two new York things on Tesco deals, the Dig place and I think the Barley Hall place. Also dont forget the Kelloggs free swim vouchers, there are a few places in York you can use them. I think you can also use them in Thirsk, lovely little pool there and a little Tesco :)

Also dont forget your Walkers brit points things, loads of National trust places including the Museum gardens next ot the cathedrel.

When we were in York over the bank hoilday they were filming Robinson Crusoe :D

Also in the railway Museum there is a really interesting photo essay exhibition about the end of steam in China, really reccomend this

sprokit
24th November 2008, 13:52
Wow!

Got back last night, had absolutely brilliant time! :clap2::clap2:

The hotel was superb - York Marriott - can thoroughly recommend it. We were upgraded to a grandstand room - which is a room with a balcony and view of the racecourse! And extra nice bathroom with bath and separate walk-in shower (huge - big enough for two! ;) )

:mad:

Hi - I noticed your question about buses into York from the Marriot (we have been lucky enough to get booked in this morning for our 40 anniversary w/e 19/20/21 Dec...after me saying I didn't think Marriots did deals any more!!!). Anyway - buses - did you have to drive to P&R or are there buses which pass nearby (within walking distance?). Ideally we don't want to move the car once there...much more restful.

After seeing your recommendation for the place I'm keeping my fingers crossed......if the breakfasts are good thats hubby satisfied!

jasmine
24th November 2008, 16:53
i'm pretty sure the purple line 4 ftr bendy bus goes down Taddy road as does the no 12 pink line and 13 brown line though these aren't as often (every 30 minutes), think the no 4 is every 10 minutes ...all these go into the city centre get off the bus straight after you've crossed the river ouse. hth :)

Littlemissjojo
24th November 2008, 16:55
Yes the buses were really easy, big long purple bendy thing from just outside the hotel straight into city centre, every 10 minutes, ran late into the evening too for coming back. Very easy!!!

mhoc
24th November 2008, 17:01
Yes the buses were really easy, big long purple bendy thing from just outside the hotel straight into city centre, every 10 minutes, ran late into the evening too for coming back. Very easy!!!

This is useful to know. I've always ignored the Marriott as being the wrong end of the city but knowing it has a bus service makes it much better

mhoc
24th November 2008, 17:03
Hi - I noticed your question about buses into York from the Marriot (we have been lucky enough to get booked in this morning for our 40 anniversary w/e 19/20/21 Dec...after me saying I didn't think Marriots did deals any more!!!). Anyway - buses - did you have to drive to P&R or are there buses which pass nearby (within walking distance?). Ideally we don't want to move the car once there...much more restful.

After seeing your recommendation for the place I'm keeping my fingers crossed......if the breakfasts are good thats hubby satisfied!

You have been very lucky getting booked in December, when did you book? Can Ii be nosey and ask how much - I know its personal so you can pm me!

Littlemissjojo
24th November 2008, 17:20
oooh one more thing Sprokit: a week or so before you go, you will get a "virtual concierge" email from the marriott, just confirming your booking details & asking if you have any special requests. As its your anniversary, make sure you tell them & ask politely if its possible for a complimentary upgrade, as its a special occasion!! I have done this 3 times now with marriotts, and every time have got the upgrade. It is most definitely worth asking!!!

And yes, all 3 of mine were special occasions - I didnt just make it up!!!

sprokit
24th November 2008, 17:40
i'm pretty sure the purple line 4 ftr bendy bus goes down Taddy road as does the no 12 pink line and 13 brown line though these aren't as often (every 30 minutes), think the no 4 is every 10 minutes ...all these go into the city centre get off the bus straight after you've crossed the river ouse. hth :)

thats put my mind at ease - we can abandon the car - and be able to have a drink at lunchtime too without worrying about driving back.

sprokit
24th November 2008, 17:47
oooh one more thing Sprokit: a week or so before you go, you will get a "virtual concierge" email from the marriott, just confirming your booking details & asking if you have any special requests. As its your anniversary, make sure you tell them & ask politely if its possible for a complimentary upgrade, as its a special occasion!! I have done this 3 times now with marriotts, and every time have got the upgrade. It is most definitely worth asking!!!

thanks for the bus info - and for the above - really starting to look forward to it now. For our 50th though, I think I'll plan something a bit sooner - and not leave it to luck!

sprokit
24th November 2008, 17:54
You have been very lucky getting booked in December, when did you book? Can Ii be nosey and ask how much - I know its personal so you can pm me!

Of course you can be nosey - without help on here I wouldn't have managed it anyway.

Started looking yesterday - hence the message about deals - and your message about checking out the York thread led me to look again at Marriot (which I had mistakenly read as no longer doing deals....thats Liverpool).

Tried phoning them last night and couldn't get any replies. Then this morning whilst going through the threads, someone had mentioned that they use the Marriot online site to actually book with their deals....quoting T95 I think it was as the code to show what rooms, if any, were available. Tried it and it showed a double room for our dates. Being extra careful I decided to phone and book and was initially told there weren't any rooms....which was when I mentioned that I had already looked using the correct code and there was one. She checked again and said yes, there is one.....at ?100 a night for B&B ........suits me down to the ground as I just happen to have a ?200 deal voucher left over from another booking......and unlike other deals I have done I just take the voucher to reception when we arrive.

Not usually that lucky so well pleased and now starting to look forward to our weekend.
Lynne

mhoc
24th November 2008, 17:59
thats put my mind at ease - we can abandon the car - and be able to have a drink at lunchtime too without worrying about driving back.

The last thing you want in York is a car, the traffic can get very stitched up, far better to use the myriad of buses, but also everyone walks everywhere so start getting into training. At the end of a weekend my legs ache desperatley :D

sprokit
22nd December 2008, 07:23

Thanks to all who advised on the Marriott at York - got back last night and had a smashing weekend there - yes, virtual concierge message arrived (did we want a helipad?????) and I just mentioned a nice room for our 40th would be all we needed - and we got a balcony room (218) overlooking the lawns straight across to the racecourse....fantastic. Service was great, staff really nice........and buses right outside the hotel every 10 mins so no need to use the car.........fabulous breakfasts, and meals in town during the day courtesy of Mr T ....would recommend it to anyone.

Littlemissjojo
22nd December 2008, 07:25
Thats brilliant!! Glad you had a lovely time and a lovely room!!!

Ladyshopper
7th March 2009, 18:31
Is there anywhere cheap and cheerful to stay in York other than the travelodge? My mum had the bright idea of meeting us there in Easter if I could get a cheap travelodge, but they were ?50 a night.

samwsmith1
8th March 2009, 00:19
Is there anywhere cheap and cheerful to stay in York other than the travelodge? My mum had the bright idea of meeting us there in Easter if I could get a cheap travelodge, but they were ?50 a night.
Not Sure,
But have you tried http://www.visityork.org/ ?

The york tourism website

mhoc
8th March 2009, 09:27

We eldest is 3rd year uni in York so we have been going up to York for years.

It is very expensive, even the 1st guest house we stayed at is now ?90 a night :eek:

I dont know wether this will apply to bookings nearer Easter but we have been experimenting with a website called laterooms recently. You put in your destination and the dates you want and it gives you a list of hotels and guest houses with availability.

We have been booking midweek one or two night stays and what I've been doing is seeing what hotels there are but then waiting to book just a day or two before. That way we have managed to get 3 star hotels for ?60 a night and then last week I got 2 nights at the same hotel for ?45 a night.

I can reccomend Noir York, chic boutique hotel, all leather sofas in the lounge and ther eis a mini bar in every room included. Its about a 10 minite straight walk into town which is not too bad, lots ot look at en route and several ways you can go. York has desperate traffic problems at peak times so its often easier to walk rather than get a taxi or bus. Noir is at Clifton green which is quite villagey, proper village green, pub, greengroucers,bakers, shoe menders, chemist, etc

If you want to push the boat out a bit the best one is The Grange which is 4 star, privatley owned and a bit like staying at a country house. It is on laterooms and I've seen rooms for about ?100 which sounds a lot but it is very much worth it. We went to the italian wine evening in Jan thye are having a Spanish wine evening in March, gets booked up very quickly.

A bit further out is the Sleeper Hotel, the bedrooms are railway carriages and its right by the railway line. You can then drive into York and park on the park and ride and get the bus in. Last week I saw Sleepers on laterooms for ?39 a night - far more interesting then the travel lodge.

Anyway any questions just ask

Ladyshopper
8th March 2009, 10:47
Thanks for that. Think it probably rules it out without a cheapy travelodge, but really fancy going now after reading this thread.

mhoc
8th March 2009, 11:22
Some links

http://www.laterooms.com/
http://www.hotelnoir.co.uk/
http://www.grangehotel.co.uk/

There is a travelodge right in the middle of town, parking is difficult though so you have to factor this cost in. Travelodge does sometimes have its ?19 or ?39 room sales but as soon as they start you have to go right through the dates, I did see one but you needed to book 8 or 9 months in advance and even then I dont think the cheap rooms ever had Saturday nights.

On the plus side it might be worth using the train because once you are in York you wont need to drive anywhere and this travelodge has a Wetherspoons right next to it.

The other travellodge is at Tadcaster, its a cheaper one, might be more chance of getting a sale room. Then you can drive to a park and ride and leave your car there.

You can still use Tesco deals for rooms if you have enough left. We stayed at the Novohotel in January, very busy hotel, probally more suited to families, also has a tiny swimming pool. They have a car park but it is always nearly full and its a paid for car park. Again its just a short walk into town.

princessmoneysaver
15th March 2009, 14:02
Slightly off topic but does anyone know where I can sell a '2 day children's York Pass'? I won a family break through a post on MSE part of the prize was family York passes for 2 days (2 adults + 2 kids) but my children are 9 & 2 so won't need the second one as our 2 yo will get in free. I haven't tried eBay because I have never seen any for sale on there, would it be worth listing it on there? We're going at Easter but the passes don't expire til next year.

I know my kids want to do Jorvik & Train Museum, what else would appeal to the kids whilst getting the best from the passes? Relying on public transport as well.

To stay on topic, we have Tesco vouchers to spend at Bella Italia, Cafe Rogue & Strada - does anyone know how easy these are to get to?

Thanks x

princessmoneysaver
15th March 2009, 14:04
mhoc, can you tell me more about the Novotel please? That is where we will be staying with our 'prize' & have never stayed there before. How easy is it to get to from the centre/train station? Thanks xx

Polo
15th March 2009, 14:09
Wow I fancy the sleepers place, off to look at that now.....

Dominic
15th March 2009, 14:15
Wow I fancy the sleepers place, off to look at that now.....

Ooooooh a trainmans holiday!!!! Sounds fab!!! What a lovely surprise weekend that would be (hint hint!!!)

By the way if using Laterooms, don't forget Quidco!

Polo
15th March 2009, 14:18
Ooooooh a trainmans holiday!!!! Sounds fab!!! What a lovely surprise weekend that would be (hint hint!!!)

By the way if using Laterooms, don't forget Quidco!

Well you've ruined the surprise now.....
:whip:

Polo
15th March 2009, 14:21
We eldest is 3rd year uni in York so we have been going up to York for years.

It is very expensive, even the 1st guest house we stayed at is now ?90 a night :eek:

I dont know wether this will apply to bookings nearer Easter but we have been experimenting with a website called laterooms recently. You put in your destination and the dates you want and it gives you a list of hotels and guest houses with availability.

We have been booking midweek one or two night stays and what I've been doing is seeing what hotels there are but then waiting to book just a day or two before. That way we have managed to get 3 star hotels for ?60 a night and then last week I got 2 nights at the same hotel for ?45 a night.

I can reccomend Noir York, chic boutique hotel, all leather sofas in the lounge and ther eis a mini bar in every room included. Its about a 10 minite straight walk into town which is not too bad, lots ot look at en route and several ways you can go. York has desperate traffic problems at peak times so its often easier to walk rather than get a taxi or bus. Noir is at Clifton green which is quite villagey, proper village green, pub, greengroucers,bakers, shoe menders, chemist, etc

If you want to push the boat out a bit the best one is The Grange which is 4 star, privatley owned and a bit like staying at a country house. It is on laterooms and I've seen rooms for about ?100 which sounds a lot but it is very much worth it. We went to the italian wine evening in Jan thye are having a Spanish wine evening in March, gets booked up very quickly.

A bit further out is the Sleeper Hotel, the bedrooms are railway carriages and its right by the railway line. You can then drive into York and park on the park and ride and get the bus in. Last week I saw Sleepers on laterooms for ?39 a night - far more interesting then the travel lodge.

Anyway any questions just ask

:hurt: I can't find it mhoc - do you know the website or something?

jasmine
15th March 2009, 14:28
Polo; it's called The Sidings Hotel and restaurant at Shipton-by-Beningbrough. It's a trainspotters dream RIGHT by the East Coast main line :D

Polo
15th March 2009, 14:29
Thanks Jasmine, off to look now!

Polo
15th March 2009, 14:32
http://www.starstay.com/ahotels/showhotel.asp?hotel_id=35515

Thats it, Polo's happy free Wifi :D

Dominic
15th March 2009, 14:34

Oooohh can we can we can we??????

:bounce016::bounce016::bounce016::bounce016:

mhoc
15th March 2009, 16:21

Its no wonder I could not find it I had sleeper hotel in my head :confused:

Its changed hands again now but when we went there were Russians running it, bit odd - well OH said they were Russians. Breakfast was not brilliant. it also has a resturant car but the meals are very expensive.

They also used to have jazz evenings so even if you are not staying there its still worth a trip out. Its 18 months since we went so this might be different now

mhoc
15th March 2009, 16:30
Oooohh can we can we can we??????

:bounce016::bounce016::bounce016::bounce016:

Dom if you stand by the bridge at the end of Bootham Terrace in the summer months you can watch the Scarborough Spa go through twice a day, excellent viewing place for taking photographs and only a few locals seem to know about it.

http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/Scarborough_Home2.cfm?CFID=66416&CFTOKEN=18762653

Of course you can actually go on the train or try and take photographs actually at the station but it tends to be overun with spotters.

mhoc
1st April 2009, 12:26
On ebay I saw this with a start price of ?25

Item number: 170315842557

STAY IN YORK, PICADILLY, ON MAY 21st 2009. 1 NIGHT- ACCOMMODATION,FAMILY ROOM (3 ADULTS OR 2 ADULTS AND 2 CHILDREN), IN THE CENTRE OF YORK

Very good price, very expensive to get rooms in this travelodge. Even better if you can use the trains, city centre parking is expensive as in most places. Wetherspoons is next door for meals and its a few minites stroll into town.

Then in theory you could then use your clubcard deals and book in for the Friday and Saturday at the Novohotel which is round the corner.

mhoc
1st April 2009, 12:40
I can recommend this

http://www.grangehotel.co.uk/special-events/

This is an independent hotel, very posh, and it has themed evenings every month or so. So far they have had a Portugese evening, Spanish and Italian evening and we went to the Italian evening in January 5 courses plus wine with every course and a chap gave us a very informative talk about Italian wine. ?22 a head :)

Places at the dinners go very quickly so you have to decide very quick.

And then you could book a room for Thursday night using laterooms,

http://www.laterooms.com/en/p1301/pv1875414/Landing.aspx?gclid=CMqbgLXMz5kCFQwNGgod6W3UuQ

there are a few within a very short walking distance, one we have used a few times. (There are also a few laterooms left at the Grange but very expensive) Or use your clubcard deals to book into one of the Tesco hotels eg Novohotel, but then you would need to book a taxi there and back (again I can give you some useful numbers)

mhoc
21st September 2010, 20:32
just dragging up this very old thread because I've just been reading an interesting article on York Press. York has now got one of the Fish foot spas that have little toothless carp that nibble at your feet and leave them gorgeous. Coppergate walk - not sure - is this Coppergate up by Jorvik centre?

I think there is one at the Trafford Centre and Meadow Hall so they are a bit few and far between.

Its not too expensive - ?10 for 15 mins - I think that is the most I could stand it but it says you can have 35 mins and you can have your hands done as well :confused:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8403828.Fish_foot_spa_opens_in_Coppergate_Walk/

We are not in York again until November so I hope someone more local than me will have a go and report back :D

samwsmith1
21st September 2010, 20:54
just dragging up this very old thread because I've just been reading an interesting article on York Press. York has now got one of the Fish foot spas that have little toothless carp that nibble at your feet and leave them gorgeous. Coppergate walk - not sure - is this Coppergate up by Jorvik centre?

I think there is one at the Trafford Centre and Meadow Hall so they are a bit few and far between.

Its not too expensive - ?10 for 15 mins - I think that is the most I could stand it but it says you can have 35 mins and you can have your hands done as well :confused:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8403828.Fish_foot_spa_opens_in_Coppergate_Walk/

We are not in York again until November so I hope someone more local than me will have a go and report back :D
Yes it is up that way :)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Coppergate,+York&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.066575,46.538086&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Coppergate,+Riccall,+York,+North+Yorkshire+Y O19,+United+Kingdom&z=16&iwloc=lyrftr:m,8481140783161818628,53.8336,-1.062434

Jellycat
22nd September 2010, 08:39
Anyone know of/been/where/it is a war camp, think it was called Eden camp? A colleague of mine went a few years back (sure they said it up Yorks)and said it was the most moving experience of the war/holocaustwar relics etc they had ever seen?

JC

holliemon
22nd September 2010, 08:42
Yes it is called Eden Camp and it is on the way to the east coast from Leeds - signposted from the motoroway - prob best google it and it will come up

Jellycat
22nd September 2010, 08:45
Many Thanks Holliemon, just was not sure of the name.

JC

holliemon
22nd September 2010, 08:47
The McCarthy Glen outlet is nice to visit too - I am sorry I cant be more helpful as OH always drives when we go to the East Coast but I know we pass the signs.

I went to Eden camp with Y6 (quite a few years ago) school trip and it was enjoyable.

mhoc
22nd September 2010, 09:48
The McCarthy Glen outlet is nice to visit too - I am sorry I cant be more helpful as OH always drives when we go to the East Coast but I know we pass the signs.

I went to Eden camp with Y6 (quite a few years ago) school trip and it was enjoyable.

Yes our year 6 went as well for the day. Can you imagine anything madder, about 60 10 and 11 year olds in a coach for 3 hours there and 3 hours back for a day trip :eek:

mhoc
22nd September 2010, 11:58
Weird conicidence, just found this - family ticket to Eden Camp with a ?10 BIN

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390242683895&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

suesmith
22nd September 2010, 17:24
eden camp is just off the A64, exit after malton signposted pickering - you can actually see it from the A64 - it's a fab day out.

we live in york so if you want any info feel free to ask

geegely
22nd September 2010, 17:49

My parents are about 3 minutes in the car from the McArther Glen designer outlet, and we always visit at least 3 times - it's become a joke with my dh. First time for a browse, second for the proper shop, and third for the things I decided not to get on the second trip but then decided was too good a bargain to leave behind. I could live there!

Mardrew
22nd September 2010, 22:52
We went through to York on Saturday and had a lovely wander through Museum Gardens and then walked all around the city walls. I think I read somewhere that the circuit is 2 miles. Everytime we go through, which isn't often to say we live fairly close, we always say what a lovely city York is.

Coincidently, we used the Park & Ride from the Designer Outlet (MacArthur Glen) as that was cheaper than parking in the city. (I checked the prices for St George's Field carpark as that's the only carpark I know how to get to!) Sometimes, we've parked at the Outlet, got the bus into the city and then had a wander around the Outlet on our return.

Gizmos
22nd September 2010, 23:06
My parents are about 3 minutes in the car from the McArther Glen designer outlet, and we always visit at least 3 times - it's become a joke with my dh. First time for a browse, second for the proper shop, and third for the things I decided not to get on the second trip but then decided was too good a bargain to leave behind. I could live there!

i love the place and from next weekend wont be far from it .. well about 20 miles i think :)

mhoc
23rd September 2010, 08:23
We went through to York on Saturday and had a lovely wander through Museum Gardens and then walked all around the city walls. I think I read somewhere that the circuit is 2 miles. Everytime we go through, which isn't often to say we live fairly close, we always say what a lovely city York is.

Coincidently, we used the Park & Ride from the Designer Outlet (MacArthur Glen) as that was cheaper than parking in the city. (I checked the prices for St George's Field carpark as that's the only carpark I know how to get to!) Sometimes, we've parked at the Outlet, got the bus into the city and then had a wander around the Outlet on our return.

My eldest is back doing a few shifts at the weekend at her pub, very close to Museum Gardens so you could have popped in for a drink! :D

mhoc
1st June 2011, 08:51
I thought it was about time the York thread was revivied :D

Livingsocial deals have a good offer today, 90 minite floodlight boat cruise along the Ouse for ?9 instead of ?19 valid during the summer months.

suesmith
1st June 2011, 10:34
if anyone wants any info i live in york and am up for questions!

Ladyshopper
1st June 2011, 10:44
Excellent!

Am camping in Yorkshire for 9 nights in summer, and am going to come into York itself at least once. Am meeting my Mum at York train station, can I park there for the day and does it cost a fortune, or is there somewhere cheaper nearby?

Also, good things to do for the day in York whatever the weather!

Staying at Park Resorts, Skipsea (in Driffield), so any suggestions of things to do round there would be great.

mhoc
1st June 2011, 11:07
Far better to use one of the park and Rides and come into the city for the day on the bus, very expensive to use the car parks.

(That is if there are just one or two of you. When we used to come with all of the gang, for 4 adults the park and ride worked out more expensive so we used to drive in and use the Marygate car park or the one opposite York St Johns but you had to be there very very early.)

Avoid the rail station, its like hell on earth any hour of the day!

Masses to do in York whatever the wether, you will be spoilt for choice. One day will not be enough!

Excellent!

Am camping in Yorkshire for 9 nights in summer, and am going to come into York itself at least once. Am meeting my Mum at York train station, can I park there for the day and does it cost a fortune, or is there somewhere cheaper nearby?

Staying at Park Resorts, Skipsea (in Driffield), so any suggestions of things to do round there would be great.

mhoc
1st June 2011, 11:08
if anyone wants any info i live in york and am up for questions!

Something that has always puzzled me.

Do all the Park and ride buses charge the same?

Ladyshopper
1st June 2011, 11:39
Far better to use one of the park and Rides and come into the city for the day on the bus, very expensive to use the car parks.

(That is if there are just one or two of you. When we used to come with all of the gang, for 4 adults the park and ride worked out more expensive so we used to drive in and use the Marygate car park or the one opposite York St Johns but you had to be there very very early.)

Avoid the rail station, its like hell on earth any hour of the day!

Masses to do in York whatever the wether, you will be spoilt for choice. One day will not be enough!

It will be an adult and 2 kids coming in by car. I kind of like the security of having the car rather than park and ride, as have a bladder problem (frequency), and like knowing I can always drive somewhere and stop for the loo rather than being stuck in a carpark or on a bus and not being able to go!

mhoc
1st June 2011, 11:53
It will be an adult and 2 kids coming in by car. I kind of like the security of having the car rather than park and ride, as have a bladder problem (frequency), and like knowing I can always drive somewhere and stop for the loo rather than being stuck in a carpark or on a bus and not being able to go!

If you are driving in to York you need to get in very early esp if its a Saturday. The traffic is horrendous and it bottle necks - quite often if you get stuck in the queue going down Bootham people walking are moving faster than the traffic is moving :D

Just had a look at google maps and York is about an hour and 10 or 20 mins from your campsite - possibly you might need to have a loo break en route.

Yorrk Loos - in town I tend to go wherever we are eating or drinking eg Marks near Coppergate have a cafe and loo or Pizza hut or Piano and Pitcher or Bella Italia or Cafe Nero etc. Also the Art Gallery has a loo and the Rail Museum have good loos. You could do with a map and putting red dots on where there are good loos so you always know how close the next one is

Ladyshopper
1st June 2011, 12:34
I will make it a weekday when we go then, not really tied to any days.

I don't know if there is a train station near my campsite, could get the train in I guess (there is usually loo's on a train!) as if car parking is that expensive, plus fuel to get to York, might be a similar cost.

I am very used to finding toilets in town centres or wherever I go, unfortunately its something I've had to do for years. :( Gets a bit embarassing, but needs must.

suesmith
1st June 2011, 12:45
Excellent!

no, you can't park at the station - its short stay only and expensive.

better bet like someone said is to park and ride, this is info about parking and p and r http://www.york.gov.uk/transport/Parking/ be careful about parking in side streets, most of it in the centre in residents only - and they will ticket you. even oh who never pays for parking has admitted defeat now.

things to do? well lots really, it depends on your interests. i love york minster but again you have to pay. railway museum but they were queuing like crazy when i went past yesterday. if you want to visit jorvik you can now prebook tickets so you don't have to queue.

treasurers house which is NT, fairfax house, cliffords towers.

have to go now cos we're off to the opticians (and playing the parking game ourselves lol)

suesmith
1st June 2011, 12:49
http://www.york.gov.uk/visiting/Local_attractions/ what to do

public toilets, the ones in parliament street are now closed, york is very poorly provided and it has caused uproar amongst us poor folk who live here, as sometimes you dont want to pay for a drink just to use their facilities! there are toilets provided at the p and r carparks, tbh you will spend less time on the bus than sitting cross legged in the car - i sypathise with you v much

m and s have just opened a new cafe in their parliament street branch. fantastic views to the minster http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9054794.New_Marks___Spencer_caf___opens/

Gizmos
1st June 2011, 12:56
There is a parkand ride at York designer outlet and there are loos in there - go on a Thursday - spend day in York then stay for late night shopping?

mhoc
1st June 2011, 13:41
http://www.york.gov.uk/visiting/Local_attractions/ what to do

public toilets, the ones in parliament street are now closed, york is very poorly provided and it has caused uproar amongst us poor folk who live here, as sometimes you dont want to pay for a drink just to use their facilities! there are toilets provided at the p and r carparks, tbh you will spend less time on the bus than sitting cross legged in the car - i sypathise with you v much

m and s have just opened a new cafe in their parliament street branch. fantastic views to the minster http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9054794.New_Marks___Spencer_caf___opens/

This is good news, always a dreadful long queue at the other Marks cafe.

As you say free loos in the middle of town are not easy to find. I've been desperate and had to dive into Costa in the middle of town while OH sat at a table outside.

There is also McDonalds with nice loos, BHS and Yates as well. Its got me thinking now how many loos I have been to in York!

Desperate queues though everywhere.

Nana
1st June 2011, 16:50
The Railway Museum was free when we went in January. No queue then, very enjoyable museum, right next to the station and most of it is indoors so OK on a rainy day.

suesmith
1st June 2011, 17:01
we like to eat at the go down restaurant http://www.thegodown.co.uk/ the fixed price menu is amazing

i would avoid ceasers and the old white swan both on goodramgate - both v average

we have 2 pizza expresses, one on lendal bridge with poor service and another one near browns department store which is much better imho

the strada in york is very good, especially if you have tesco vouchers to use. we also have an ask but although the building is superb as its our assembly rooms the food no way matches up to it.

for pub grub on a lunchtime, especially if you love good beer we go to the maltings down the side of lendal bridge http://www.maltings.co.uk/ huge portions and sean and maxine (landlord and landlady are true characters) no small children allowed though

we avoid russels carvery as its very touristy iykwim

we go to plunkets for lunch as its expensive on a night, candlelit on an evening http://www.plunkets.co.uk/

of course we have bettys but there is also little bettys down stonegate which is usually a little less busy, incidentally bettys has a downstairs and sometimes the queue to get seated there is less than to be upstairs so its worth an ask of the staff http://www.bettys.co.uk/bettys_york.aspx

we like going to the yorkshire museum, revamped last year http://www.yorkshiremuseum.org.uk/Page/Index.aspx and the castle museum of course http://www.yorkcastlemuseum.org.uk/Page/Index.aspx

if you want to go out of york the kids used to love eden camp http://www.edencamp.co.uk/ and the yorkshire air museum at elvington http://www.yorkshireairmuseum.org/

hope this helps

mhoc
2nd June 2011, 08:09
for pub grub on a lunchtime, especially if you love good beer we go to the maltings down the side of lendal bridge http://www.maltings.co.uk/ huge portions and sean and maxine (landlord and landlady are true characters) no small children allowed though

We went there on a Monday evening and they have a live mike evenings - 2 nights a week, not sure which ones but excellent live music.

There is also Jumbos, all you can eat chinese which is very reasonable at lunchtimes

Ladyshopper
2nd June 2011, 10:22
Looked into getting train from Driffield to York, takes a couple of hours with 1 change, but would be ?20.80 for the 3 of us with a railcard. If its going to take over an hour to drive then pay for parking, seems like it would be just as cheap or possibly cheaper to get the train.

Is the train station in the middle of all the touristy things to do? I see its next door to the railway museum!

suesmith
2nd June 2011, 10:33
york is very small and everything is easily walkable from the station. if youre into stations yorks is an architectural gem, or so we are told! i think its lovely

if you want a free escorted walking tour http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/tourism/whattosee/tourswalks/tours/754697.Association_of_Voluntary_Guides/ these people do them on a voluntary basis

suesmith
2nd June 2011, 10:37
There is also Jumbos, all you can eat chinese which is very reasonable at lunchtimes

we stopped going there after they had yet another run in with environmental health

they're maybe ok now but be warned that at busy times they will only let you stay for so long and then they chuck you out - and it isn't that long iykwim, not quite all you can eat, all you can eat in a set amount of time

bennorthyork
2nd June 2011, 10:56
I've known of a lot of upset tummies and 2 cases of food poisoning from Jumbos so we avoid like the plague. Just looking in the windows on the way to work in the morning at how dirty it is it doesn't surprise me.

mhoc
2nd June 2011, 15:04
Thanks for the warnings about Jumbos - local knowledge is so useful.

We have also eaten at the Exhibition at the bottom of Bootham near the bar. It has a really nice beer garden out of the back, very quiet and I think you can get to it via Gillygate if you dont like walking through the pub. It does early bird specials as well.

There is also a small cafe across the road next to the White Horse pub.

mhoc
2nd June 2011, 15:10
Looked into getting train from Driffield to York, takes a couple of hours with 1 change, but would be ?20.80 for the 3 of us with a railcard. If its going to take over an hour to drive then pay for parking, seems like it would be just as cheap or possibly cheaper to get the train.

Is the train station in the middle of all the touristy things to do? I see its next door to the railway museum!

Yes I had a look at the trains as well, where you are staying is about 8 miles from Driffield station - maybe someone knows driffield and knows about parking at the station???

There seems to be a choice of places you can change at.

Yes York station is right in the thick of it, go out of the back and the rail Museum is there, out the front and you are less than 5 mins from town. Very easy walking in York, Also ladies loos on the station :D

Main problem with York is that it is a tourist mecca and it gets very very busy and crowded, weekedns are the worst and race days so plan what you might do and dont try to do much in one day.

How old are the kids?

Ladyshopper
2nd June 2011, 15:25
I googled parking at Driffield and it appears to be free, so thats good news.

Kids are 13 and 12. Oh, and my mother will be bringing the child she is obsessed with (sorry, I mean looks after :rolleyes:), who I think is 7 (or possibly 8, have lost track).

Need lots to keep us occupied, will be first time have seen mother since Christmas 2009, and we haven't actually spoken on the phone since January when I sent her a letter she didn't like (see the thread I started back then for details!). We are currently communicating via email which is nice and easy, and I thought I would extend an olive branch and suggest we meet up somewhere kind of central when we are away, seeing as she point blank refuses to come to us, and I am not going to go to her an more as we are apparently an "imposition".

Anyway, trying to do the right thing, so lets hope I don't regret it!

mhoc
2nd June 2011, 15:46
Yes I remember the thread now. Good idea to have a central meeting place somewhere neutral. If the worse happens and she calls it all off you an still go to York with your kids and have a fab day out. And there is enough for everyone to do to keep everyone well occupied.

If the wether is gorgeous like today get some picnic food and go to Museum gardens to have lunch, everyone goes there at lunchtimes - might be easier than choosing somewhere a cafe or a resturant and having to queue and wait to be served etc. You can either get food from Marks in Parliment Square or there is a little Sainsburys local on Bootham - the road opposite takes you straight down to the river and another entrance to the park.

I googled parking at Driffield and it appears to be free, so thats good news.

Kids are 13 and 12. Oh, and my mother will be bringing the child she is obsessed with (sorry, I mean looks after :rolleyes:), who I think is 7 (or possibly 8, have lost track).

Need lots to keep us occupied, will be first time have seen mother since Christmas 2009, and we haven't actually spoken on the phone since January when I sent her a letter she didn't like (see the thread I started back then for details!). We are currently communicating via email which is nice and easy, and I thought I would extend an olive branch and suggest we meet up somewhere kind of central when we are away, seeing as she point blank refuses to come to us, and I am not going to go to her an more as we are apparently an "imposition".

Anyway, trying to do the right thing, so lets hope I don't regret it!

suesmith
2nd June 2011, 16:16
soft drinks only in the museum gardens as it used to be where the local winos hung out and the council got a banning order on booze there.

we go to wetherspoons too - but the one at the end of piccadilly as its much nicer than the one at the top of micklegate.

we also like to visit here http://www.barleyhall.org.uk/ kids used to like it too

Ladyshopper
2nd June 2011, 16:25
Thank you mhoc and suesmith, you've both been really helpfull. Nothing beats a bit of local knowledge!

Will be back on here with lots more questions I'm sure!

mhoc
19th August 2011, 12:57
Just thought I'd mention this. Its worth applying for this free tastecard, valid for 2 months, one per household, new applicants only. It gives you 2 for one or 50% off meals, mostly week days (some Sundays) and usually you need oen per two people, in loads of York eateries.

http://www.tastecard.co.uk/trial2/mirror

Also if you go to the Slug and Lettuce website and register with a new email address (it could even be a disposbale one) you can downlaod a voucher worth ?10 wys ?20 - very useful. its 50% off on Mondays anyway. There are 2 in York city centre, both have their merits.

Also if you have spare nectar points if you go to the Nectar websites you can order resturant vouchers, either ?10 or ?25 - various places but it includes Bella Italia. The vouchers also include soft drinks.

And also for anyone with familes ?5 Pizza Hut meals with free salad and free kids meals, again I think you have to register and download a voucher.

Ladyshopper
19th August 2011, 14:47
Off on our hols next Friday, and its the Tuesday after that we're meeting Mum in York.

We're going to the railway museum, so hope its not too packed! Looked on the website and it does look really good.

Just hope it doesn't rain too much whilst away as we're camping!

Ladyshopper
23rd August 2011, 22:32
Right, another question for you York experts!!

We are spending day at railway museum. Mum has said she will treat us to lunch which is very kind, however neither of us will be getting there til almost midday so was going to suggest we brough picnic lunch, then had tea somewhere before getting train home.

She has said either pasta/salad place, or wetherspoons. We are both vegetarian, I love junk food (unfortunately!) but she is more of the organic lentil type food lover! Therefore pizza hut wouldn't be acceptable to her, although me and kids would love it! She doesn't mind wetherspoons though, as knows it caters quite well for veggies and eats fairly regularly in her local at home.

Any suggestions for places close to the museum and not going to cost a fortune?

hippygirl
24th August 2011, 00:03
I'd take a small picnic lunch and then let the 'treat' be afternoon tea at 'Betty's' (it's not far - York is pretty compact as I recall) ....don't forget the fat rascals!

oldvicar
24th August 2011, 05:05
I'd take a small picnic lunch and then let the 'treat' be afternoon tea at 'Betty's' (it's not far - York is pretty compact as I recall) ....don't forget the fat rascals!

Betty's (of Harrogate) is famous of course, but I can't *thoil it, especially if it's not the original (in Harrogate) experience. I'd satisfy myself with a look through Betty's window (and maybe buy take-away treat to take home) then hot-foot it to a wallet friendlier place (such as Wetherspoons, if there is one).

*Thoil : To be able to afford an object, but [not] able to justify the expense. (Yorkshire expression)

As explained by Alan Bennett, in Writing Home : There?s a handy Yorkshire expression ?to thoil,? a tight little parcel of a verb meaning to be able to afford an object, but to feel guilty spending the money on it. ?I don?t dislike that candlewick bedspread,? a Leeds woman might say, ?but I couldn?t thoil to pay that price.?

:D

mhoc
24th August 2011, 12:51
There are 2 Wetherspoons in York at either end of the city but this one is closer to the station. I've not been here so I cant comment but they are all much of a muchness

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-punchbowl

mhoc
24th August 2011, 12:54
I've not been to this place but it might be worth a try. Goodramgate is city centre and there is a full selection of charity shops along it :clap2:

Goji Vegetarian Cafe, Deli & Restaurant
36 Goodramgate
York YO1 7LF

Ladyshopper
24th August 2011, 15:18
Thanks all. Mhoc that veggie cafe looks right up my Mum's street, so have emailed her about it suggesting we have an early tea there. I actually think the takeaway menu looks better than the sit in menu, does York Minster have grounds you can sit in for free or is there anywhere else close by thats nice to sit and eat?

mhoc
24th August 2011, 15:53
Thanks all. Mhoc that veggie cafe looks right up my Mum's street, so have emailed her about it suggesting we have an early tea there. I actually think the takeaway menu looks better than the sit in menu, does York Minster have grounds you can sit in for free or is there anywhere else close by thats nice to sit and eat?

Yes loads of places for sitting about and people watching, its one of the best bits.

Also outside Marks on Parliment street there is always some street performer, usually the one that ties himself in chain on top of a ladder, very good fun to watch :D

j9mcl
24th August 2011, 16:57
It gets not bad reviews on Trip Advisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g186346-d1588363-Reviews-Goji_Vegetarian_Cafe_and_Deli-York_North_Yorkshire_England.html

suesmith
24th August 2011, 17:22
the wetherspoons at the top of micklegate is not that good tbh.

bettys is mega expensive.

i like pizza express, but the one near the roman bath pub in st sampsons square not the one on lendal bridge.

or plunkets at the top of petergate, they do a good lunchtime menu