PDA

View Full Version : Carpal Tunnel surgery

Littlemissjojo
29th October 2007, 17:41
I have been waiting for surgery on my wrist for a while, got the phone call today & going in for surgery on Thursday!! Only 1 wrist, (right) & will be local anaesthetic. Was just wondering if anyone here has had it done, & what your experiences were? And how long before you could use it/drive again etc?

Luckily I will be able to walk the DD's to school, and as long as I can manage to "mouse" with my left hand, I can do my tesco shopping online! :p

DH will have to learn how to iron though :rolleyes: (some chance!)

But 3/4 weeks off work is nice!

Ladyshopper
29th October 2007, 17:43
If you pm Floosy, she has had it done recently.

Good luck for Thursday.

zoot
29th October 2007, 17:55
Hope all goes well dougnjo. At least you only get a few days to think about it before hand. Better than knowing the date for weeks I think. As Ladyshopper said Floosy had it done recently so I am sure she will be able to help you out.

misscharlie
29th October 2007, 18:10
Hope all goes well. My mum had this done a fwe years ago, and she was back doing normal things by the end of the week!

Littlemissjojo
29th October 2007, 19:09
You should start to use hand normally as soon as possible, although you will find you cannot grip things as easy as you would normally.

Mouse control will be a piece of **** LOL - As for the ironing just milk it, as I say you should use hand normally:D

The one thing I will say is if your right handed, start practcing wiping with your left when you go the toilet as its hell LMAO

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Awww, thanks for all that Floosy!!! That has put my mind at rest a bit!

And yes I am right handed :eek:

shopsomemore
29th October 2007, 19:44
My FIL had both his done. This was a couple of years ago but he still has problems with his wrists - although he does not say this but we can see. Anyway from what I remember he was fine after a couple/few weeks. They had said 6 weeks is what it would take before everything was back to normal but it was not as long as this.
Hope everything goes well.

catgirl03
29th October 2007, 20:33
I have been waiting for surgery on my wrist for a while, got the phone call today & going in for surgery on Thursday!! Only 1 wrist, (right) & will be local anaesthetic. Was just wondering if anyone here has had it done, & what your experiences were? And how long before you could use it/drive again etc?

Luckily I will be able to walk the DD's to school, and as long as I can manage to "mouse" with my left hand, I can do my tesco shopping online! :p

DH will have to learn how to iron though :rolleyes: (some chance!)

But 3/4 weeks off work is nice!

Good Luck
Had my right done in February healed within a week. But had the left one done about 5 weeks ago and thats been more painful and got infected (but got 5weeks off work). But it worked a treated for me no more sleepless nights with dead arms, no more pins and needles etc and all my rings fit again. I put off surgery for nearly 4 years didn't want to go though with it. But wish I'd done it sooner now.

Hope it goes well good luck
Annie

Littlemissjojo
29th October 2007, 21:45
Thank you all of you for your good wishes.....I'll let you know how I get on!!!

andylaine
29th October 2007, 23:27
The one thing I will say is if your right handed, start practcing wiping with your left when you go the toilet as its hell LMAO

Lol this brought back memories. I had both of mine done at the same time about 10 years ago. Looks like things have moved on now as most of you seem to have had one done at a time and with a local.(I had general) I also had both hands/wrists in plaster for about 3 weeks with just my fingers free. Trying to get undies up was the worst thing (probably too much information). :)

Anyway good luck Dougnjo, it was well worth having it done, no more pins and needles (I used to think it was more like electric shocks than pins and needles) no swelling and much more movement.

Littlemissjojo
1st November 2007, 20:37
well, had it done today. now 1 handed typing. :( not easy...

it hurts! injection for anaesthetic was worst, then was numb so ok, but now worn off so ouch.:mad:

all bandaged up like a mummy :( hope will be better tomorrow......

Ladyshopper
1st November 2007, 20:38
Glad it went ok! Hope you recover soon from it.

catgirl03
1st November 2007, 20:45
well, had it done today. now 1 handed typing. :( not easy...

it hurts! injection for anaesthetic was worst, then was numb so ok, but now worn off so ouch.:mad:

all bandaged up like a mummy :( hope will be better tomorrow......

Agree anaethetic is the worsed bit!!!

Becareful not to do to much encase you pull stitches and that really hurts....
but it heals quite fast my right hand was better in a matter of days then just a bit sore (bruising).

Take care, hope it heals fast
Annie

zoot
1st November 2007, 21:09
dougnjo take it easy and keep up with the pain killers. Thanks for the update. Take care!

Littlemissjojo
2nd November 2007, 15:10
thanks chaps & chappesses,

am pleased to report a good nights sleep, painkillers working, and left handed typing and mousing getting easier & easier !!!!! all this time on my hands now (bad pun!!!!) = lots of time on pts!!!!!

but - no time to go to tescos unless have a driver!!!! AAAAAAGH!!!!

zoot
2nd November 2007, 18:05
do an online order?

Littlemissjojo
23rd November 2007, 18:12
update on my poor hand.....

well its been 3 weeks since the op. The scar has healed well, stitches fell out after 2 wks. It seemed to be recovering slowly, & I was getting some movement back in it.

But...last Sat morning (17th) I was getting out of the bath and I slipped, & my whole bodyweight crashed the hand directly down onto the side of the bath. IT HURT A LOT!!! Wow it hurt. I was sat there dripping wet sobbing, DD screaming, DH came rushing in & didnt know what was going on! (on reflection, there was prob a comedy element going on there, but didnt feel it at the time!)

Anyway, there was no damage to the scar, but it was v v sore. And more worringly, I cannot bend my wrist back at all, not even a tiddly bit, without a very tight feeling, like a wire holding it inside.

On Monday, went to walk in centre, saw nurse, who said bruised, take ibuprofen. No improvement, saw my GP weds who said hmmmm, prob bruised & inflamed inside, gave me script for movelat cream, which is anti inflammatory for arthritis, according to the box. So I am applying said cream x3 a day, as instructed. No improvement. Now nearly 1 vweek since fall & is worse, not better.

Now, I know some peeps have had this op, & what I need to know is: is this additional wrist pain from the op, or definitely from the fall? Does anyone have any idea what I might have done to it? Dont think broken, as plenty of wiggling finger movement. Its a tight pain, & I cant move my wrist back at all.

Very frustrating, as DH works strange hours ( he is an AA man) so is hard work doing tea & bed etc for the DD's :( although older dd is 8 so is helpful :)

And DH does what he can too, but he works long hours & I hate having to ask him to do things when he gets in & is tired :(

ok will stop now before get totally depressed!

Littlemissjojo
24th November 2007, 07:41
OK, feeling very unloved now :(:(:(
will give myself a hug :hug:

jenchin
24th November 2007, 08:13
Your poor hand, I have no experience of your op so just sending you a hug :hug:

JANED9388
25th November 2007, 07:52
it seems that having carpal tunnel surgery affects your balance - I fell up the garden steps 3 weeks after having after mine in April - landed full weight on it (didn't half yell!) and three other people who have had it recently all fell too - don't worry though, it will get better. I think you're being so carefull to protect it you over compensate.

Littlemissjojo
25th November 2007, 08:18
it seems that having carpal tunnel surgery affects your balance - I fell up the garden steps 3 weeks after having after mine in April - landed full weight on it (didn't half yell!) and three other people who have had it recently all fell too - don't worry though, it will get better. I think you're being so carefull to protect it you over compensate.

Aww thanks, nice to know its not just me!!!

It just gets soooo frustrating only having 1 hand!!! :rolleyes:

tiger
11th July 2008, 11:38
I've been reading this because my DIL needs the operation on both wrists. She was given the option of having them both done at the same time but is going to have 2 operations.
Reading all your posts, it doesn't look as if she will be out of action for too long.
I'll obviously do what I can to help, but she's very independent and doesn't like to bother people even when she really needs help.
Which jobs did you all find the hardest to do? I'm assuming the worst ones will be where you have to lift, such as with pegging out washing or lifting heavy pans.

Floosy
11th July 2008, 11:40
Do not have both wrists done together, it will be hell on wheels for him not being able to do anything for himself.... I am so glad I had both done seperatley. Going to the toilet is the worst job in the first few days, plus lifting a kettle!

tiger
11th July 2008, 11:43
It's my son's partner that's having it done, Floosy.
I think it was the personal care problems that really put her off having both done at once.

andylaine
11th July 2008, 11:45
Do not have both wrists done together, it will be hell on wheels for him not being able to do anything for himself.... I am so glad I had both done seperatley. Going to the toilet is the worst job in the first few days, plus lifting a kettle!

absolutely agree with you Floosy. I had mine both done together many years ago when the techniques werent as sophisticated as they are now and both wrists were put in plaster :eek: going to the toilet was shall we say rather embarrassing :o

Floosy
11th July 2008, 11:47
After about 2 or 3 days it becomes a whole heap easier but will show you why its impossible LOL...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/sturdygirl5/GetAttachment-3.jpg

You try pulling up your knickers and doing up your bra, with your hand trussed up like a chicken LOL

Floosy
11th July 2008, 11:49
The bandages come off after 24hrs and your left like so as shown below... But its still very swollen and stiff.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/sturdygirl5/GetAttachment-4.jpg

tiger
11th July 2008, 11:58
Thanks for the pics, Floosy. I can see how restricting that would be.

DS is taking a couple of days off each time she has the op.

The first one is likely to be in August, so at least there won't be the morning rush to get the kids ready for school and I can go over later in the day.

Floosy, why is your bum numb?

Floosy
11th July 2008, 12:00
That will be a great help for her Tiger, The first time OH came down from Scotland - The second I had to break all the rules and had to drive etc, as I had no help.