PDA

View Full Version : Avis pulling out of Deals!

Beej
31st October 2007, 07:57
Just seen this on the Avis page on Deals:

Please note: If you have been saving your Clubcard Vouchers for Avis Tokens, you must have ordered your Tokens by the 16th April and completed your car rental by 31st May 2008.

SuzyWoo
31st October 2007, 08:00
Bad news. Have a rep for noticing though! ;)

colman
31st October 2007, 10:47
oh poo - thats a real shame...

baconbap
31st October 2007, 17:59
Oh no! That's bad news. But have already booked for a week's hire in Italy in April - which I'm very glad is before their cutoff date.

Used them this summer in Germany, and booked a group c car instead of the cheapest - never had satnav before. It didn't like it when we kept ignoring it, and going our own routes.

sfc_boy
31st October 2007, 19:59
Oh no! That's bad news. But have already booked for a week's hire in Italy in April - which I'm very glad is before their cutoff date.

Used them this summer in Germany, and booked a group c car instead of the cheapest - never had satnav before. It didn't like it when we kept ignoring it, and going our own routes.

Just out of interest, are the deals vouchers named for Avis car hire or unnamed like the restaurant ones? Thanks.

Polo
31st October 2007, 20:00
Well shows how much I notice as didn't realise they were in the deals - d'oh, I really must look round more before just changing up the same old things!!

Dominic
31st October 2007, 20:39
Getting seriously concerned now. If the Motorpoint thing isn't what we hope it is then Deals are going a bit sour. There is a serious drift of the big boys out of Deals and the only new ones I can see are little ones like mags and meals.

If Motorpoint is what we hope, then I'll be happy, but if not (say, just for extras) then I'll stop my talc stocking in the shed!

Dom

baconbap
31st October 2007, 23:00
Just out of interest, are the deals vouchers named for Avis car hire or unnamed like the restaurant ones? Thanks.

They're named and you can't use them for any other deals.

Cyrano
31st October 2007, 23:55
Bad news. Have a rep for noticing though! ;)

Ditto ;) :mad:

soweezy
29th December 2007, 10:50
does anyone know if Tesco are trying to recruit (is that the right word ?) a new car hire firm ?

I've saved up for Avis for June 2008 and just found out that they're ending the offer in May :(

thanks

Cumbrian
30th December 2007, 16:04
Annoying isn't it!

We're going to Canada in July and I'd planned to use Clubcard to get Avis car hire, to go with the ?3000 of BA flights I got with Clubcard!!

Gizmos
30th December 2007, 16:16
you could only use CC points in Europe anyway not in Canada

soweezy
30th December 2007, 22:01
had this reply from Tesco....

I appreciate your query regarding the recruiting another car hires company to replace Avis cars hire. However, I am looking into this matter and as soon as I have any further information, I will contact you again.

soweezy
3rd January 2008, 22:47
had another email from Tesco today...

Thank you for your email regarding Avis.

Unfortunately at present we do not have a replacement for Avis. However,
our business developement team are always looking for new deals to join
the scheme and so I would suggest keeping an eye on the website for
updates.

I guess it's fingers crossed they get someone onboard in time for my hols in June

Cumbrian
9th February 2008, 08:27
you could only use CC points in Europe anyway not in Canada

Never spotted that - was it always the case?

You appear to be able to get car hire using CC with Airmiles though, but it seems to be a poor conversion rate.

cath1954
11th February 2008, 13:04
Just rang to Avis book car with deals for later in the year and was told they are coming out of Tesco Deals no bookings for after 31st May.I,m gutted anybody else aware of this. Sorry if this has been posted previuosly and I missed it.:mad:
Cath

sarmia
11th February 2008, 14:09
No way!!

I just emailed for a quote for next year.

Do anyone else do car hire, I want it for California next April. Someone cheaper than getting it from Virgin.

icho
11th February 2008, 15:00
it says it on tesco website. not sure of dates but think you have to book by end of april and use by a certain date too.

pollyanna_11
11th February 2008, 15:05
No one does car hire as far as I am aware- might be worthwhile looking at usrentacar whose rates are very competitive.

sarmia
11th February 2008, 15:56
Thanks - will do think VIrgin want ?500 :eek:

Cumbrian
11th February 2008, 17:51
No one does car hire as far as I am aware- might be worthwhile looking at usrentacar whose rates are very competitive.

You appear to be able to get car hire using CC with Airmiles though, but it seems to be a poor conversion rate (as I said above)

sarmia
13th February 2008, 09:41
Is there a minimum you need to book for just car hire using airmiles??

sammybear
15th February 2008, 08:57
You can book with Airmiles when you convert your cc vouchers, they use Avis and Alamo in usa.

littlemissnaughty
27th February 2008, 15:16
I have just read on another forum that Avis Car Hire are pulling out of tesco deals. The last vouchers will be issued on 16th April and you will need to use them before 31st May.
Doesn't really affect me too much but for anyone who was thinking of using them on their summer holiday, you will need to think again.

Dominic
27th February 2008, 15:19
I have just read on another forum that Avis Car Hire are pulling out of tesco deals. The last vouchers will be issued on 16th April and you will need to use them before 31st May.
Doesn't really affect me too much but for anyone who was thinking of using them on their summer holiday, you will need to think again.

Already covered in this thread and announced back in Autum last year:

http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19236&highlight=avis

If you do a search for the keyword (ie Avis) you can check first if the subject has been covered in the forum. No worries, no bad thing to have a reminder :)

littlemissnaughty
27th February 2008, 15:22
Sorry didn't realise, was just trying to be helpful!

Dominic
27th February 2008, 15:23
Better to do that than sit on your hands! Would rep you but am repped out!

Nasus
3rd March 2008, 13:04
Gutted!!!!! Had hire for one week I suppose that was good enough