PDA

View Full Version : Family History

HELLO_KITTY
2nd February 2007, 19:19
I WAS THINKING OF TRYING TO RESEARCH MY FAMILY TREE, AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS DONE THIS SUCESSFULLY ONLINE..

BASICALLY I WANTED TO KNOW:

HOW MUCH IS COSTS?
WHAT ARE THE BEST SITES/WHAT THEY OFFER?
HAS ANYONE HAD MUCH LUCK DOING IT?

I REMEMBER WATCHING A NEWS OR WATCHDOG REPORT ON A COMPANY WHO WERE GIVING FALSE INFORMATION TO CUSTOMERS..

THANKYOU X X X X :baby:

Angel
2nd February 2007, 19:19
The only one I know of is ancestry.com who also offer a free trial.

Gizmos
2nd February 2007, 19:21
I think Tiger may have been researching this as well, I'd not have a clue where to start

tiger
2nd February 2007, 19:33
That's right Giz, I have.
I'll sort out some websites for you later Kitty.
You can spend a lot of money on it but you don't need to. If you check with your Local Studies library, a lot may be available free.
Firstly, start with your family. If you have parents and grandparents, aunts and uncles, ask them for everything they know about their parents and grandparents. They may have copies of birth, marriage and death certificates.
Old prayer books and bibles sometimes contain names.
I've not got a lot of time now but I'll be back on later.

janice mac
2nd February 2007, 19:59
genes reunited??

tiger
2nd February 2007, 20:55
Yes, genesreunited is the best site I ever subscribed to.
genesreunited (http://www.genesreunited.co.uk)
You can post your family tree on there and contact people and they can contact you. I've had dozens of contacts, some useful some not so useful. The best ones were some second cousins. We've solved some questions for each other and shared photos and put names to unidentified photos for each other.
Just remember that everything you find on the internet needs to verified.
Start with the oldest certificate you have and take it one step at a time..
I had copies of both sets of grandparents marriage certificates which gives you the fathers' names. Then I sent for birth certificates for the grandparents, which gives both the father and also the mothers maiden name.
It can be expensive as the certificates are £7 each (not bought any for a while but think it is still that). I used to ration myself to spending so much each month.
You can save money by contacting the Record Office for the area and seeing if they have the church record. You can then get the same information for the cost of a photocopy and possibly a small search fee.
Some Record Offices are better than others. The IOW and Southampton offices have been really helpful. If you live in the are you are researching then that is even easier. You can go in and search for yourself.
If you can get back as far as 1881 then the census for that year is free to search online and there are Ancestral records, IGI and Vital Records, but just remember that they may have transcription errors.

Familysearch (http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp)

Search Ancestry.co.uk for whatever you can find for free.I wouldn't recommend paying for a subscription until you are confident about what you are searching for. Save up lots of questions and take out a months subscription.

Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx)

Take a look at Genuki which gives a lot of help for those just getting started and show what is available
genuki (http://www.genuki.org.uk/)

Join the mailing lists on there for whichever county you are researching. People help each other, much as they do on here. If you live too far away to do your own research, sometimes volunteers will help out.

A couple more useful sites are UKBMD which tells you what is availble for each county
UKBMD (http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php?form_action=national)

Also FreeBMD
FreeBMD (http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/)

I hope this doesn't overwhelm you. Please feel free to ask if you need any help. I have lots more sites I could tell you about, but this should keep you busy for a while.

colman
2nd February 2007, 21:14
i've successfully used genes reunited and have gone back in my family history to early 1700's, found relatives in the US and between us we have found out lots of info.....

HELLO_KITTY
2nd February 2007, 21:17
Yes, genesreunited is the best site I ever subscribed to.
genesreunited (http://www.genesreunited.co.uk)
You can post your family tree on there and contact people and they can contact you. I've had dozens of contacts, some useful some not so useful. The best ones were some second cousins. We've solved some questions for each other and shared photos and put names to unidentified photos for each other.
Just remember that everything you find on the internet needs to verified.
Start with the oldest certificate you have and take it one step at a time..
I had copies of both sets of grandparents marriage certificates which gives you the fathers' names. Then I sent for birth certificates for the grandparents, which gives both the father and also the mothers maiden name.
It can be expensive as the certificates are £7 each (not bought any for a while but think it is still that). I used to ration myself to spending so much each month.
You can save money by contacting the Record Office for the area and seeing if they have the church record. You can then get the same information for the cost of a photocopy and possibly a small search fee.
Some Record Offices are better than others. The IOW and Southampton offices have been really helpful. If you live in the are you are researching then that is even easier. You can go in and search for yourself.
If you can get back as far as 1881 then the census for that year is free to search online and there are Ancestral records, IGI and Vital Records, but just remember that they may have transcription errors.

Familysearch (http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp)

Search Ancestry.co.uk for whatever you can find for free.I wouldn't recommend paying for a subscription until you are confident about what you are searching for. Save up lots of questions and take out a months subscription.

Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx)

Take a look at Genuki which gives a lot of help for those just getting started and show what is available
genuki (http://www.genuki.org.uk/)

Join the mailing lists on there for whichever county you are researching. People help each other, much as they do on here. If you live too far away to do your own research, sometimes volunteers will help out.

A couple more useful sites are UKBMD which tells you what is availble for each county
UKBMD (http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php?form_action=national)

Also FreeBMD
FreeBMD (http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/)

I hope this doesn't overwhelm you. Please feel free to ask if you need any help. I have lots more sites I could tell you about, but this should keep you busy for a while.

THANKYOU TIGER X X X

tiger
6th February 2007, 13:55
Have you managed to get started on your family tree yet, Kitty?
PM me if you need any more help.

ploverpalace
6th February 2007, 15:33
I have traced my tree back to 1800 using mainly genes reunited, then following up any information i got from this in Church records etc. I found the 1901 online census fantastic when i first got started too, and found i could piece together some of the more recent (since 1900) family history by finding headstones with birth and death dates on them. Good luck with your search, it is incredibly interesting and have made a couple of lovely online 'penpals' that are distant relatives!

tiger
6th February 2007, 15:42
I agree ploverpalace. It is incredibly interesting. Genesreunited has been brilliant for me. I've had so many contacts. One of them put me in touch with someone who had the bible belonging to a shared ancestor who was born in 1706. I'm very envious of her, but at least she was kind enough to share all the list of names and birthdates written in there.
I've had a few puzzles and a few surprises. I thought that all my ancestors were from Hampshire and the IOW, but found they were from Wiltshire and Devon and even from Belgium.
I never knew either of my grandfathers but now feel that I do as I've found out more about them.

dawnb
6th February 2007, 18:02
I used these websites as well and sometimes I buy Family History magazines if they have any info about relevant areas. Also my local library subscribe to Ancestory.com so I can use it for free on their computers for maximum two hours a go. You library might have similar facilities.

ploverpalace
7th February 2007, 01:40
I am lucky in the fact that the majority of my ancestors were local to the area, so finding information so far hasn't been too much of a struggle. I find it a real buzz to get another piece of the 'puzzle' in place!

HELLO_KITTY
7th February 2007, 09:03
Have you managed to get started on your family tree yet, Kitty?
PM me if you need any more help.

i spoke to my mum and she said that one of my aunts has done a tree on my mums side so im trying to get a copy of that, so i want to get started on my dads side,

both me and my partners dads sides come from durham/sunderland area i think...and my nans side is welsh, so my genes are proberbly scattered all over the place..cant wait to look into it,

do you have to pay for each person you find or is it a set fee?, thanks again for your help x kitty

gobbyash
7th February 2007, 10:01
My grandad was very keen on the family tree and spent many years researching it before the internet.

We managed to get back to 1778.

gobbyash

tiger
7th February 2007, 10:03
You pay for each piece of paper, i.e. Certificate for birth, marriage or death or a photocopy of a church record. The cost can mount up so be careful that you are ordering the right one. That's where census records can be useful. It gives you the first name of the mother, so when you order the birth certificate, you can give that detail to the registrar and they will tell you if it doesn't match up and saves you buying the wrong one.

tiger
7th February 2007, 10:05
My grandad was very keen on the family tree and spent many years researching it before the internet.

We managed to get back to 1778.

gobbyash

The internet is only a guide. You still need to check everything, but if you put what you have on to a site like genesreunited, you might be surprised at how many contacts you get and may get further back with their help.

suziq
7th February 2007, 10:08
my dad did this at night school many moons ago, and found a distant cousin in the class!
and she was nice! result!

HELLO_KITTY
7th February 2007, 17:37
yeah im looking on genes reunited, but can only find peoples requests for other people, do i need to know names of my relatives to search for them..?

tiger
7th February 2007, 18:28
yeah im looking on genes reunited, but can only find peoples requests for other people, do i need to know names of my relatives to search for them..?

Yes, you do, but the further back you can go yourself, then the more chance there is of somebody else researching that name. For instance, we have 4 grandparents, 8 great-grandparents and 16 great-great-grandparents and so on.
With all their descendants there is bound to be somebody somewhere who is researching at least one of your lines.
It might take a bit of time. In the meantime you can start building your family tree on there. There are some FAQ and help pages. There are message boards if you want to contact someone. Some people on there have found living relatives.
I may be a bit paranoid, but I don't like putting too many details of living people on the internet. I've changed the Christian names slightly for myself and my husband and also our ages and for our siblings I've just put Male or Female followed by their surname.
BTW, nobody can view your full family tree on GR unless you let them. They can do a search and come up with some of your names, but they won't know how they all link together.
You could also try googling. The wife of a second cousin did that and she struck lucky as she found some pages with some of her ancestors on and even a photo of the farm where they used to live. I think that was exceptional, but you never know.

tiger
7th July 2007, 21:51
I had an offer on ipoints today to sign up for a 14 day free trial on Ancestry.co.uk so I've taken it up.
You can search census from 1841 - 1901 and view images of the returns and numerous other records.
You need to enter a credit or debit card, so be sure to cancel the subscription before the 14 days are up.

dune
7th July 2007, 22:27
traced mine back to 1830 using different websites but only paying for certificates and not the searches
if ansestry.com is still giving free trials then take the trial and do as much work as you can within that trial and cancel before it ends
ansestry used to be free for 1901 census as did some of the bdm sites but they've all jumped on the bandwagon of paying now

I have the yorkshire 1891 census on dvd's. I'm happy to search on there if anyone is looking for info. Would need a few details first though

A good website for searches is the free mormon site but can't remember its name off hand

tiger
7th July 2007, 22:45
traced mine back to 1830 using different websites but only paying for certificates and not the searches
if ansestry.com is still giving free trials then take the trial and do as much work as you can within that trial and cancel before it ends
ansestry used to be free for 1901 census as did some of the bdm sites but they've all jumped on the bandwagon of paying now

I have the yorkshire 1891 census on dvd's. I'm happy to search on there if anyone is looking for info. Would need a few details first though

A good website for searches is the free mormon site but can't remember its name off hand

This is the site you mean, duneindex family search (http://www.familysearch.org/) Something to bear in mind with that site, is that these are transcribed images and to make sure that you have the right family is to do some further research. Look at census for other years and buy certificates one at a time and check that everything corresponds.

With Ancestry you can view the census images, but you need to be a bit of a detective because not everybody could read and write so names could be spelled various ways and ages can vary from one census to the next.

I agree with what you say about them all jumping on the bandwagon. It's annoying when you think much of the information they are selling was transcribed by volunteers.

Another useful site is UKBMD (http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php) You can have a look to see if your county has a BMD site and if you can find the record on there that you want you can order it from them. It's very useful for ordering marriage certificates because you can see both names before you order.

Deedee
8th July 2007, 08:59
JUST REMEMBER! BACK EVERYTHING UP!
I had been researching my family tree for 12yrs, my mother a lot longer, I had everything on a program called "Family tree 4" by GSP. I had snippets of info/gossip, potential lines of enquiry, certificate numbers, all sorts on there. THEN I LOST IT ALL! My pc crashed, the hard drive was a complete mess, data was unretrivable. I thought I had backed it up, but the latest back up I had made, the disks had been corrupted!
It broke my heart. I had followed my maternal line (Mum could never do it) I managed to get right back to 1700's. Turned out my maternal grandmother had lied about her age to all the family and she was actually 5 years older than she was! (Another tip: cant find someone, remember, ladies do tell lies, broaden your search years)

when you really get into it, it becomes addictive!
Have fun

gobbyash
8th July 2007, 09:32
We are having a family reunion this weekend with over 23 relatives staying here.

My uncle was telling me that he had done some research on my grandmas side and had made some interesting discoveries.

We are related (very distantly) to John Wayne AND Winston Churchill.

gobby

tigger73
8th July 2007, 09:55
My cousin did a detailed one of my fathers side but I want to delve into my mothers ancestry. I did a 14 day free trial with ancester.com but it is expensive to join. I have now started with genes reunited, you buy credits (50 for £5 ) and then every time you think you have found the person you are looking for you pay 1 credit to open that registry. The only drawback is these credits have to be used up in 1 week, which I don't think is long enough. I have not got very far yet, have hit a brick wall because I don't know my grandmothers maiden name. I can't even find a listing for my mother even though I know all her details. Any one got any clues for me ? Sadly my mother is no longer alive so can't ask her.

tiger
8th July 2007, 11:14
We are having a family reunion this weekend with over 23 relatives staying here.

My uncle was telling me that he had done some research on my grandmas side and had made some interesting discoveries.

We are related (very distantly) to John Wayne AND Winston Churchill.

gobby

My cousin did a detailed one of my fathers side but I want to delve into my mothers ancestry. I did a 14 day free trial with ancester.com but it is expensive to join. I have now started with genes reunited, you buy credits (50 for £5 ) and then every time you think you have found the person you are looking for you pay 1 credit to open that registry. The only drawback is these credits have to be used up in 1 week, which I don't think is long enough. I have not got very far yet, have hit a brick wall because I don't know my grandmothers maiden name. I can't even find a listing for my mother even though I know all her details. Any one got any clues for me ? Sadly my mother is no longer alive so can't ask her.

Gobby, you are very lucky to have an older relative who has made a start on things. Get as much info as you can from him and from other relatives. Like tigger73, I regret not getting into this when my parents and grandparents were alive. There are so many questions I would like to ask.

Tigger, you need to get the birth certificates for your parents, that will give you the maiden name of their mothers then you can get the marriage certificates for your grandparents. The marriage certificate will give the names of both fathers and so you gradually get a bit further back.
As Deedee has said, people lied about their ages and there is often other confusing information on census returns. They often acquired children because so often they were widowed and remarried and widowed again. Everything has to be checked very carefully against each other. If you want me to look up anything on Ancestry for you, let me know and I'll be glad to help. I'll be cancelling though before the end of the free trial. I just needed it to help me with the early census as they weren't on for all counties when I was searching before. Family history is something I keep looking at and putting down again. I don't think I will ever finish it. There is always something new to discover, but it does get frustrating when you hit a brick wall. I am a member of genesreunited, but I've never bought any credits off them. I find it very useful for getting contacts from other people researching the same names and thanks to other contacts am back to 1706.

Deedee, have a look at genesreunited. I have my family tree on there and it doesn't cost me anything. I did pay for a couple of years but now am just a free member. If you want to contact people you need to pay but you don't need to be a paying member for them to contact you. I have 322 individuals and 70 surnames on there.
I also have bought birth, marriage & a few death certificates and when I find a census return for my family, I print off a copy. I know it doesn't compare with what you lost off Family Tree maker, but it's something. I have a nephew and great niece who are now researching which is good as we can swap info.
One of my most interesting contacts on GR was from a second cousin once removed and we identified people in photos for each other and tied up a few loose ends. As I said to Tigger, let me know if I can help you, if you are researching again.

tigger73
8th July 2007, 12:31
Thanks Tiger, for all the information. I have all of my fathers tree back to 1700, but I don't know how to get my mothers birth cetificate because I can't find her records. I will persevere though as I find it fascinatng.

tiger
8th July 2007, 12:36
Do you know approximately when your parents married, if so you could get their marriage certificate and get grandfathers names from it? Sometimes the witnesses are family members, so that gives another clue.

siennahue
8th July 2007, 15:24
I've done a lot of research on my family tree, I've only skimmed through the replies you've had but from what I can see you've been given excellent and sound advice.

Some of my tree goes back to 1170 odd, the best advice I can give that I cant see has been covered is to make a folder in My Documents called Genealogy. In there create a folder titled sources and one called possibles. In each of those folders create folders with the family surname as the title.

Every time you hit something that does relate to you for sure save it in the sources folder and when you find something that looks like it belongs to your jigsaw but you can't quite place it save it in possibles.

Scan any old docets you get given so you only handle them once and can then use your pc to enhance them.

Read through the websites and advice given here

http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk

Sorry if you have it already,

Ask questions of the generations above you, they will be your best source.

Have to run if I think of anything else I'll speak again - best of luck,

Sienna

tiger
8th July 2007, 15:24
I couldn't find a birth record for one of my greatgrandmothers so I obtained one for one of her sisters. To do this you need to be confident that you have the right family. Get the father's name from the birth certificate so that you can quote that to the Registrar. If you get the certificate from the local register Office rather than from the GRO, then they will check the details you give them are correct and send you a refund if it is not the correct one.

kayw
8th July 2007, 19:19
My mother did ours, and it turns out my great grand parents came to UK from Italy, and for ireland on the other side. No wonder I am confused !

Jules_2005
31st August 2007, 10:08
I found this last night but I was so busy researching history until 2.30 am this morning :eek: that I didn't get round to posting it on here

http://landing.ancestry.com/popularmedia/hs1.aspx?landingpage=3DF_nc&o_iid=32618&o_lid=32618&o_it=32845

Aardvaak
28th October 2007, 14:28
Can anyone tell me if there is any Cashback Site sites that pay to link through Ancestry.Com

tikal73
28th October 2007, 14:35
greasy palm pay 7.5%

And Quidco looks to pay 15% as well

Aardvaak
28th October 2007, 15:02
Thank you for your reply.

tikal73
28th October 2007, 16:10
I can highly recommend Ancestry for tracing your family tree it is by far the most comprehensive site. I would opt for 1 month after you have had your free trial. Then use that month to get as much info as poss off the site. Then if you are still really keen you could go for the year option (but that is quite a large outlay).
I've spent many months and hours tracing my family tree and it is a wonderful thing to do. Be prepared to become addicted though! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Genes reunited (in particular - their forums are also v good).

Jules_2005
28th October 2007, 16:17
I posted this thread a while back, saves joining Ancestry and when your 3 free days are up, you can reuse with a different email address

http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14237&highlight=ancestry

tikal73
28th October 2007, 16:25
Or this link might work for 14 day trial

http://landing.ancestry.co.uk/victorianbritain/Default.aspx?offerid=0%3a7935%3a0

tigger73
28th October 2007, 16:32
I logged in to see how much it would cost for full membership. Couldn't make up my mind to go for 1 month or the year. Clicked out because still couldnt decide. Then another screen flashed up stating " don't leave, we can offer you a reduction ". They then offered £20 off the yearly one so decided to go for this. So if anyone is going for this, don't accept first time.

dawnb
28th October 2007, 17:46
I think it was on quidco as well

Khufu
29th October 2007, 11:28
It is free in all the Yorkshire libraries, may be worth checking yours too

tiger
29th October 2007, 11:31
That's a good point Khufu. It's free at my main library and I'm in Lancashire.
It's worth a phone call to find out and you probably need to book a PC.

tigger73
29th October 2007, 12:35
It is also free at my local council offices. They have a heritage centre and you can book a pc for the next day and twice a week they have members there from the heritage society who love to help you look. I do visit these but also like to do some work at home. I paid about £62 in the end for a year on Ancestry which I didn't think was too bad. previous to signing with them I paid £5 for 50 searches with Genes Reunited but these 50 have to be used within a week.

Aardvaak
29th October 2007, 12:45
I posted this thread a while back, saves joining Ancestry and when your 3 free days are up, you can reuse with a different email address

http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14237&highlight=ancestry

Thank you very much for this link

tiger
29th October 2007, 12:56
Aardvaak, do you know about UK BMD (http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php?form_action=national) which is a site that tells you what is available for the county you are researching?

Some of the counties I am researching have searchable BMD records.
From the link above, click on Local BMD.

Aardvaak
29th October 2007, 13:04
Aardvaak, do you know about UK BMD (http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php?form_action=national) which is a site that tells you what is available for the county you are researching?

Some of the counties I am researching have searchable BMD records.
From the link above, click on Local BMD.

No I did'nt - Thank you very much

saucy77
2nd November 2007, 18:04
Acessing Ancestry.com from libraries is ok, but they use library edition apparently.
I'm not sure what the difference is, as I used the normal version. Just cancelled it cos I don't spend as much time on there enough to warrant the expense since finding PTS.

But there are a number of free sites you can use.

www.familysearch.org -1881 Census, and Christenings/Baptism's Pre-census era's.
www.freebmd.org.uk - UK Birth's Death's and Marriage's
www.bmdshare.com - To share details from cert's with other's. (IE if you have ordered the wrong cert, may be useful to someone else)

Specifically for Kent links and records, including parish records
http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/

sprokit
2nd November 2007, 18:17
I logged in to see how much it would cost for full membership. Couldn't make up my mind to go for 1 month or the year. Clicked out because still couldnt decide. Then another screen flashed up stating " don't leave, we can offer you a reduction ". They then offered £20 off the yearly one so decided to go for this. So if anyone is going for this, don't accept first time.

I'm paying about £60 a year for this - and though I don't use it regularly it still pays for itself - being able to view the 1901 census entries (not just the index) alone is worth the subscription ....and of course having saved so much on my shopping by using sites such as this I don't feel in the least bit guilty letting the subscription run even when I'm not actively researching.

shoppaholic45
5th November 2007, 00:04
i joined ancestry.com and i posted a message on there that im trying to trace my family, someone on their found details of my family for me, from records, i don't know where they found them from,and also i can't find the peoples details iam looking for on ancestory. Does anyone know how to do this, how to trace a family tree please

Saver
5th November 2007, 00:08
I'd love to trace my family tree too. Was it worth joining ancestry.com?

dune
5th November 2007, 00:12
you need to decide which line you want to traces and work backwards

get birth, marriage certificates to confirm things

shoppaholic45
5th November 2007, 00:15
I'd love to trace my family tree too. Was it worth joining ancestry.com?

iam on a 14 day free trial, i don't think its worth paying for thou, i would try the trial thou, it might work better for you

shoppaholic45
5th November 2007, 00:16
i will try getting the cerificates, only thing with my grandad is he was born in poland, not not sure how to go about that, he came to this country in the war and he did marry twice

tikal73
5th November 2007, 00:21
An excellent site is www.genesreunited.co.uk - particularly for the forums there. There are some extremely knowledgable and helpful people there who helped me out no end when I started tracing my tree. - Poland sounds a bit more tricky shoppaholic, most of mine was straightforward.
Do you have dates of birth etc from your parents of your Grandad/great grandparents? Any documents at all to start with?
Overall I found Ancestry invaluable if seriously taking up the hobby....and well worth the money. It can get expensive if you take it seriously with birth certs alone approx £7.50 a pop and then you aren't always sure you are getting the right one.
Was it one particular line you were hoping to trace?

Saver
5th November 2007, 00:27
I'm on the genes reunited, I'll check out the forums then thanks for that. I'll have to look out for the free trial on ancestry too

tikal73
5th November 2007, 00:34
maybe this site might be worth a look shoppaholic

http://www.polishroots.org/genpoland/index.htm

Also I think naturalisation papers are held at kew (family records centre).

HTH.

Genealogy is a fascinating and time consuming hobby. On a par with being as addictive as PTS - so be warned!! :nono:

shoppaholic45
5th November 2007, 00:34
An excellent site is www.genesreunited.co.uk - particularly for the forums there. There are some extremely knowledgable and helpful people there who helped me out no end when I started tracing my tree. - Poland sounds a bit more tricky shoppaholic, most of mine was straightforward.
Do you have dates of birth etc from your parents of your Grandad/great grandparents? Any documents at all to start with?
Overall I found Ancestry invaluable if seriously taking up the hobby....and well worth the money. It can get expensive if you take it seriously with birth certs alone approx £7.50 a pop and then you aren't always sure you are getting the right one.
Was it one particular line you were hoping to trace?

i have the date of birth for my grandad, the date of month and year of birth for my dads two half sisters, he hasn't seen them since he was a little boy, i have the names of my dads mum and my dads stepmum who is the mum to his two sisters, and who they remarried to and which county. The man that found this info had found it the page no and the volume no but i don't no where he would have found this, the sisters where born in bradford, i will try the other site thank you

shoppaholic45
5th November 2007, 00:36
maybe this site might be worth a look shoppaholic

http://www.polishroots.org/genpoland/index.htm

Also I think naturalisation papers are held at kew (family records centre).

HTH.

Genealogy is a fascinating and time consuming hobby. On a par with being as addictive as PTS - so be warned!! :nono:

thank you for this, iam looking at it now, yeap i can image it will be lol

ayjayays
5th November 2007, 01:27
ive been with ancestry.com for last 3 yrs now and found its worth every penny,started off with free trial then signed up for annual,traced family trees on all sides.,the census are invaluable,takes you back to earliest in 1841 but contains persons born in 1700s+addresses.also even older historical records.Cost of obtaining birth certs etc is minimal to what I used to pay,years ago before internet you had to go to record office in London,or Mormon centres ,day off work+train fares+£10 per certificate if ordered while there or £20 if ordered later by post,so much more expensive then,easier now all done at home.I spend holidays/days out in areas that ancestors used to live and visit the churches,local record offices etc for more info while there.I also use other sites including National Archives which has much info for free and small charge to download wartime Medal Rolls etc.

Jules_2005
5th November 2007, 01:45
I've got lots of genealogy sites saved in my favourites. I haven't seen these mentioned yet. some are ones I've found by chance when searching for specific records

Interment.net - some inscriptions from cemetaries
http://www.interment.net/uk/eng/index.htm

Gencircles
http://www.gencircles.com/

Parish register.com
http://www.parishregister.com/links.html

National Archives
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Norfolk Transcription Archive
http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php

Norfolk Surnames List
http://uk.geocities.com/davidbooty@btinternet.com/NorfolkSurnames/Index.html

Buxton Industrial School (Norfolk) - fascinating info about industrial schools in the early 1900's
http://uk.geocities.com/davidbooty@btinternet.com/NorfolkSurnames/Index.html

Middlesex England Parish Records
http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/england/Middlesex/midsex/index.html

About Suffolk Families
http://www.mysuffolkfamily.com/

Cyndi's List - lots of useful links here
http://www.cyndislist.com/

tiger
5th November 2007, 09:30
Genuki (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/) is another useful site to tell you what's available

tiger
5th November 2007, 12:41
3 Free days at Ancestry.com (http://landing.ancestry.com/popularmedia/hs1.aspx?landingpage=3DF) at the moment

gargoyle
6th November 2007, 15:34
Not sure whether it's been mentioned, but rootschat.com is great for info and people willing to do searches for the cost of a thankyou. Met some relatives from there and as it's county indexed, the info is more focussed on that area.

Jules_2005
6th May 2008, 15:17
It's running very slowly at the moment but this is a fascinating site and might be useful for family history research

The Proceedings of the Old Bailey London's Central Criminal Court 1674 - 1913 (http://www.oldbaileyonline.org.uk/index.jsp)

tiger
6th May 2008, 15:26
I would love to find a criminal in my family history! Some prisons took photos of the prisoners long before most oridinary people had photos taken.
It's fantastic when you come across a photo of an ancestor that you've never seen before.
Someone thought my g. g .grandfather worth including in a family history book. I managed to get a secondhand copy of the book and I can't describe how exciting it was to see a picture of my g.g. grandparents in there.

Jules_2005
6th May 2008, 15:30
DH has got a family member in a reform school in the late 1890's. Would love to find out why

angelic
6th May 2008, 22:15
Not sure whether it's been mentioned, but rootschat.com is great for info and people willing to do searches for the cost of a thankyou. Met some relatives from there and as it's county indexed, the info is more focussed on that area.

I second Gargoyle's recommendation for Rootschat and also Rootsweb :)

I have had lots of kind assistance from members who have helped me with my Northern Irish ancestry.
Without kind peeps on Rootsweb, I wouldn't have traced the death of a distant relative who died in Ceylon after being taken ill on a ship travelling from Austraila to Ireland.

I also highly recommend writing to overseas newspapers if searching for a lost relative - I traced a distant cousin after my letter was published in the Sydney Herald :) All I had to work on was the address of this relative's grandparents from my late Gran's old address book.

I have used a number of genealogy forums for specific surnames - successfully found two distant cousins in Ireland and New York this way :) None of us knew of the other's existence until I posted looking for info on my Great Grandfather....we even got to all meet up in London a few years ago :)

Also worth joining Family History societies for the areas your ancestors lived in as most of us don't live anywhere near the areas so it isn't easy to check out info.

dune
8th March 2010, 12:51
Just started up my search again after a 5 year break.. Can't believe how things have changed and everyone wants a subscription from you..

I wanted to search on ancestry and print out all the relevant census info and update my search along with certificates to prove the research is correct

I found the best way to get a decent run on ancestry was to buy family tree maker via tesco deals for £15 in deals (£60 in vouchers) Which then gives you a 6 month subscription to ancestry.. The nice thing about using the software is that you can do a search and then merge the correct info into your family tree

The site i use for the certificates is
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php?form_action=local
which gives you acces to local areas and the option to print out certificate order forms

tiger
8th March 2010, 13:08
I've not done any research for ages either.
I've used that site, dune. It is very useful.
That's a good tip about getting the free Ancestry with Family Tree Maker. I might do that. I've been given some possible new info about one of my ancestors so could do with following it up. Bit busy with gardening and DIY at the moment though.

dune
15th August 2012, 15:01
Free searches of the 1911 Census at Ancestry.com until the 21st aug 2012

I'd suggest everything that you find you download to your pc and sort it out later in your own time

Aardvaak
15th August 2012, 22:20
I WAS THINKING OF TRYING TO RESEARCH MY FAMILY TREE, AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS DONE THIS SUCESSFULLY ONLINE..

BASICALLY I WANTED TO KNOW:

HOW MUCH IS COSTS?
WHAT ARE THE BEST SITES/WHAT THEY OFFER?
HAS ANYONE HAD MUCH LUCK DOING IT?

I REMEMBER WATCHING A NEWS OR WATCHDOG REPORT ON A COMPANY WHO WERE GIVING FALSE INFORMATION TO CUSTOMERS..

THANKYOU X X X X :baby:

I have researched my family tree - I have a very extensive tree amounting to over 7700 names my direct line going back beyond 1780.

I use ancestry.co.uk which I find very good because once you put some detail in it gives you hints.

My membership cost me £153 a year for the full international membership but you can get a lesser membership for about £80 pa.

dune
15th August 2012, 22:25
I have researched my family tree - I have a very extensive tree amounting to over 7700 names my direct line going back beyond 1780.

I use ancestry.co.uk which I find very good because once you put some detail in it gives you hints.

My membership cost me £153 a year for the full international membership but you can get a lesser membership for about £80 pa.

you can use deals for ancestry by buying Family Tree Makerô Platinum 2012
i think its about £19 in deals and you get 6 months free ancestry membership

oldvicar
15th August 2012, 23:04
you can use deals for ancestry by buying Family Tree Makerô Platinum 2012
i think its about £19 in deals and you get 6 months free ancestry membership

Or £30 of Clubcard gets you the software and 6 months of "worldwide" ancestry membership.