PDA

View Full Version : Open University

goldfish61
5th November 2007, 23:14
Has anyone used their vouchers to pay for an Open University course? If so, was it a straightforward process or did you have any hitches?
Thanks

giantsf49er
6th November 2007, 08:20
Dont know, but Im about to order my first set of OU vouchers as soon as my mailings arrive.

The Bobbo's
6th November 2007, 11:17
Extremely straightforward! Sent the vouchers special delivery and a couple of days later I received confirmation that my course was paid for.

goldfish61
8th November 2007, 15:54
Thanks. Waiting for next mailing from Tesco and will then send. (Didn't manage to collect enough points for the full course, but still!)

jen
8th November 2007, 18:23
Do you have to pay all the vouchers you will use upfront?

Plus has anyone done any modern languages at OU. I am considering it because I am currently studying spanish at evening classes, plus like most people I speak a little French and would like to continue that. But I enjoy going every week to the class, I think I would really miss if I did it through OU and how do you practice your conversation.

The Bobbo's
11th November 2007, 14:36
Yes you do need to pay all your vouchers upfront unfortunately.

I'm graduating next summer having studied English Literature, however there was a time I considered the french course as it looked really interesting. I'm not sure how you would practise your conversation but there are tutorials that you would attend. For a level one course I went to tutorials weekly then monthly as the levels increased.

I suppose it depends on what you want out of the qualification. If you just want to learn conversational French for fun then it will be far cheaper at an evening class. If you want to gain points for a degree then the OU is great.

DJES50
16th November 2007, 09:34
Yes you do need to pay all your vouchers upfront unfortunately.

Just to reactivate this thread, could you clarify something:

Where they talk about all tesco payment being at time of registration, are they just meaning that you can't make installment payments for a unit/module using tesco.

What I'm try to get clear is whether, if you then come back to register for another unit/module you can again pay upfront for it using tesco?

I.e. its not just an introductory offer, for when you first register with the OU?

The Bobbo's
16th November 2007, 09:43

Where they talk about all tesco payment being at time of registration, are they just meaning that you can't make installment payments for a unit/module using tesco.

What I'm try to get clear is whether, if you then come back to register for another unit/module you can again pay upfront for it using tesco?

I.e. its not just an introductory offer, for when you first register with the OU?

It's not an introductory offer - your first point is correct. Say you register with the OU and pick a level one course, you pay for that course in vouchers.. then when you've finished or when the registration opens for another course that interests you, you register again for that different course and again pay with vouchers. All upfront, so you can't as you say, pay via installments. So, as long as the OU stay in the scheme you could gain a degree for free.

Hope that helps.

DJES50
16th November 2007, 10:33
Thanks!

(that's what I thought it was, - just wanted to check)

giantsf49er
16th November 2007, 10:39
Thanks!

(that's what I thought it was, - just wanted to check)

Out of interest what is it you are planning to do there?

I ave just started study with the OU. And in the next week or so I will be using CC vouchers to register for the first part of a degree in Law.

DJES50
16th November 2007, 10:46
Out of interest what is it you are planning to do there?

I ave just started study with the OU. And in the next week or so I will be using CC vouchers to register for the first part of a degree in Law.

My *possible* plan is to do a particular couple of units in computer science, not actually for the purposes of an OU qualification at this stage (though I'll 'bank' them for future general use).

Instead their immediate use is to help with getting onto a postgrad comp sci course where the institution would like a tad more proof of my level of knowledge/competance (you'd think my u/g physics and job experience would be enough!)

However despite doing some comp sci units (on the same topic) as part of my physics, I also elected to do some geology which they don't seem to like the sound of.

goldfish61
16th November 2007, 17:45

Partner has today just sent the paperwork away.
This is for a Level 3 Module (Cities & Technology)costing ?565 as part of the BA (Hons) Literature degree. Therefore altho' has been studying last year, required to register for this Module. Registration was needed by next month even tho' the course doesn't start until Feb 2008. We'd only ?40 of Tesco vouchers left and this meant ?160 worth of deals towards the Module. We were a little unsure if the vouchers could be used as the course had been started, but 'phoned OU who were really helpful and they explained the position. They did advise sending the vouchers by registered post and this has been done. Just need to save up for more vouchers for the next Module!
We're delighted with this deal.

pboae
10th January 2008, 21:56
Sorry to drag up an older thread, but it didn't seem worth starting a new one. Are OU deals named? They seem to be S deals, so I wondered if I could get away with using other S deals.

paulie558
12th January 2008, 13:27
They sent back ?30 in deals vouchers to us which had an s number on them but were allocatted to Virgin Hols(left over after booking)
This was on a ?500+ course.The rest were fine as they were OU tokens.
It does say the Virgin tokens can be used anywhere apart from Avis,but we were talking about ?25 to make up the difference,so paid it and will use the tokens for a meal.
The OU are VERY pedantic about thier paperwork.
"Hello Martin,it's Linda..."

pboae
12th January 2008, 13:30
Thanks for that, so were the proper OU ones names as well? Or just OU branded?

paulie558
12th January 2008, 20:35
They just had the right S number,not named.

pboae
13th January 2008, 00:37
That's great news, thanks!

pboae
13th January 2008, 05:02
Last question, I promise! It says they can only be used for new registrations. Does that mean registering for a course, or registering as a student? I mean, can I register, pay for one course now with deals, and then pay for another later in the year with them, or would I have to register on all of them and pay for them all in one go?

paulie558
14th January 2008, 18:00
No,you can do as many new courses as you like.It just means you cant add vouchers to a course later.Just realised they DO come with surname on,was thinking of another deal.Sorry about that.

pboae
14th January 2008, 18:35
:-o that was close, I just got outbid on ebay!

Thanks for the info though.

rach109
14th January 2008, 19:12
They sent back ?30 in deals vouchers to us which had an s number on them but were allocatted to Virgin Hols(left over after booking)
This was on a ?500+ course.The rest were fine as they were OU tokens.
It does say the Virgin tokens can be used anywhere apart from Avis,but we were talking about ?25 to make up the difference,so paid it and will use the tokens for a meal.
The OU are VERY pedantic about thier paperwork.
"Hello Martin,it's Linda..."

:laugh: