PDA

View Full Version : Eurostar - Anyone used it?

giantsf49er
14th November 2007, 14:19
I was looking at the Eurostar deals and it states that ?25 CC gets you a ?100 standard return leisure seat. Only problem is I cant find a ?100 seat.

Ive been looking to go in January and the seats work out at about ?80-?90 return.

So is the deal basically an 'upto' ?100 ticket or am I not understanding it correctly?

paulie558
14th November 2007, 20:50
Yes,it's for seats that cost up to ?100

Polo
14th November 2007, 20:53
Oooo hadn't thought of using my deals for eurostar - have a rep for reminding me!

Thanks!

Dominic
14th November 2007, 20:57
I think it is VERY limited availability for Deals, i.e. not ANY seat under ?100.

Whilst on the subject if you use Eurotunnel you pay the prices you see on the web and they don't limit you to certain times etc - you are getting the same price and choice as if paying with cash.

msjg
14th November 2007, 21:16
Bit off topic but have you moved Dom?

Dominic
14th November 2007, 21:17
Bit off topic but have you moved Dom?

Yeah I am in a safe house here in Wales, avoiding crazed stalkers. I'm ok, floosy has just nipped out and sammybear is on her way so I'm being cared for by gorgeous ladies ;)

stinky minky
14th November 2007, 21:56
i was just having a quick look at euro star and I can't get my head round this. If I want to book a family of 4 can I use upto ?100 in deals per person and then pay the rest in cash or is it upto ?100 per booking?

giantsf49er
15th November 2007, 08:06
From what I can see its up to ?100 per return seat. So if your buying returns for a family of four you should be able to use four deals giving you up to ?400.

I have been looking at dates in Feb for reference and the prices worked out at about ?168 return for 2, so ?84 per person, which would be fully covered by the deals.

Dom, are you saying there are only specific seats available for deal use?

Your Token is valid on any Standard Leisure Return fare to Paris (excluding Disneyland ? Resort Paris), Brussels and Lille up to (and including) ?99.

moonriver
15th November 2007, 08:14
I've booked this for my son twice before and just about to do it again for a trip for after Christmas. If I remember correctly you just phone them (number on the Tesco deals website) and it is ?100 in deals which you have to exchange on the Tesco site. Every seat will cost you ?25.00 in vouchers- ?100 in deals. Never had any problem with availability.

Dominic
15th November 2007, 08:33
Sorry I was only quoting what someone posted a while ago, not first hand. The person said that you only get the tickets for the worst trains at inconvenient times. So if that's wrong then apologies.

wallsendmag
15th November 2007, 08:43
?100 for a trip on Eurostar :eek: Most I have ever paid is ?38 each way and that was for first class :D

giantsf49er
15th November 2007, 12:11
Just been looking more into this.

London to Paris ?168 return for 2. (Total CC ?50.00)
Liverpool to London ?125 return for 2.

Why is it so ****** expensive to get to London. And the govt wonder why people use budget airlines!

Raffles
15th November 2007, 16:04
Discount train tickets are released 12 weeks ahead for UK travel. If you put a note in your diary for 12 weeks before your trip, you'll get the cheapos (unless you travel on peak Mon-Fri trains).

I just bought some tickets for my Mum, Sheffield to London, and it was ?28 return First Class.

wallsendmag
16th November 2007, 09:13

Why is it so ****** expensive to get to London. And the govt wonder why people use budget airlines!
Hi I work for GNER and we have very cheap deals to connect into Eurostar,just they aren't show on the website because we need to see your Eurostar ticket before we can sell them. Most other TOCs have the same sort of deals available, just ask them for details.

Wondergirly
16th November 2007, 09:31
Hi I work for GNER and we have very cheap deals to connect into Eurostar,just they aren't show on the website because we need to see your Eurostar ticket before we can sell them. Most other TOCs have the same sort of deals available, just ask them for details.

So does that mean you have to buy your Eurostar ticket first and then go to the ticket office? Or can you find out the prices beforehand?

I'm trying to price up a trip to Paris from a Northern station but finding it difficult :mad:

wallsendmag
16th November 2007, 10:12
So does that mean you have to buy your Eurostar ticket first and then go to the ticket office? Or can you find out the prices beforehand?

I'm trying to price up a trip to Paris from a Northern station but finding it difficult :mad:
Where ? I may be able to help.

Tewart
16th November 2007, 14:13
I think it is VERY limited availability for Deals, i.e. not ANY seat under ?100.

Whilst on the subject if you use Eurotunnel you pay the prices you see on the web and they don't limit you to certain times etc - you are getting the same price and choice as if paying with cash.

This is good to know as I used Eurotunnel 3 or 4 years ago and paid with Deals. I was a regular user of Eurotunnel and would have expected to pay around ?90 return cash at that time, but I had to ring a certain number and was charged ?184 in Deals. I paid it because cash was short, but was rather cheesed off at the time as I felt they were taking the mickey.

Dominic
16th November 2007, 15:24
Not my experience Tewart, although I have only ever made day returns via Eurotunnel (booze runs going out in the morning and back in the afternoon). Typically this is ?22 out and ?27 back, depending on times, and these prices are on the website as well. So usually it is ?50 in Deals, costing me ?12.50 in vouchers, which I think is amazing value for money. They are great with allowing you to use an earlier or later shuttle depending on availability, in the winter there is usually plenty of space. I find it a great service and so much quicker than the ferry, which gives more browsing time in Calais.

Tewart
17th November 2007, 14:07
I find it a great service and so much quicker than the ferry, which gives more browsing time in Calais.[/QUOTE]

Must agree - could never go back to the old days and the ferrys. Best part of Eurotunnel used to be their reward programme where we always amassed enough points each time for a return trip!

mhoc
17th November 2007, 14:12

I have probally imagined this but isnt there one of those bus thing sthat will take you from Liverpool to London for ?1 pr 1p or such like:confused:

Raffles
17th November 2007, 18:33
Yup. Megabus.

Dominic
17th November 2007, 18:35
I have probally imagined this but isnt there one of those bus thing sthat will take you from Liverpool to London for ?1 pr 1p or such like:confused:

www.megabus.com/uk

Polo
17th November 2007, 19:18
Had never heard of megabus - wow! Just looked at their website and the prices are amazing... saved to my favourites for the next time I have to go up north! Thanks very much!!

Dominic
17th November 2007, 19:23
Had never heard of megabus - wow! Just looked at their website and the prices are amazing... saved to my favourites for the next time I have to go up north! Thanks very much!!

Its one of those things, Polo, that you do great with if you plan well ahead and book accordingly. The prices go up as the seats fill up but if you are well organised there are some absolutely fantastic deals to be had a few weeks or months ahead. There are also mega bargain train fares to be had although routes are limited. Its a great site to play with and if you go well in advance it goves you some ideas of what bargains you can get. Good luck!

Polo
17th November 2007, 19:26
Its one of those things, Polo, that you do great with if you plan well ahead and book accordingly. The prices go up as the seats fill up but if you are well organised there are some absolutely fantastic deals to be had a few weeks or months ahead. There are also mega bargain train fares to be had although routes are limited. Its a great site to play with and if you go well in advance it goves you some ideas of what bargains you can get. Good luck!

Thanks Dom, was just looking and prices for london to newcastle next weekend are only ?8!! Last time we flew on holiday we ended up going from newcastle (and we are less than an hour from Stansted!), as it was over ?500cheaper - and would have been so much better to get a bus there at ?8 than drive and pay for parking etc....and probably less stressful for us too as it took nearly 9 hours!

salsa
25th March 2008, 13:58
has anyone actually converted deals to Eurostar tickets yet? I have booked my seats and ordered my deals on 12th March and have not received them yet, was just wondering if there is anything different about the Eurostar tickets that might make them take longer?

Am panicking a little:behindsofa:

jackslass
28th April 2008, 09:43
anyone tried to get eurostar deals/seats in school holidays?