PDA

View Full Version : Exceptional offer to cash in Holiday Inn Priority Club points

Raffles
14th November 2007, 16:59
For 1 month only, to Dec 15 (I think), you can cash in your Priority Club points for twice the usual value.

See here:
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/1/en/c/2/content/dec/pc/0/en/points/europe/aha/anyhoteluk.html

You swap your points for an American Express pre-paid card that can be used at any hotel, anywhere in the world, that accepts Amex. This was not such a great offer before, but at 50% discount represents a great deal - it is arguably better than redeeming directly for free stays at Holiday Inn / Crowne Plaza / Intercontinental hotels.

The only snag is that you need to use the card within 12 months or you lose the value on it. However, it is unlikely that anyone with PC points won't be spending any money in a hotel during the next year!

Polo
14th November 2007, 21:00
Thanks for the idea, unfortunately I still don't have anywhere near enough points.......

tyroleandancer
14th November 2007, 21:53
For 1 month only, to Dec 15 (I think), you can cash in your Priority Club points for twice the usual value.

See here:
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/1/en/c/2/content/dec/pc/0/en/points/europe/aha/anyhoteluk.html

You swap your points for an American Express pre-paid card that can be used at any hotel, anywhere in the world, that accepts Amex. This was not such a great offer before, but at 50% discount represents a great deal - it is arguably better than redeeming directly for free stays at Holiday Inn / Crowne Plaza / Intercontinental hotels.

The only snag is that you need to use the card within 12 months or you lose the value on it. However, it is unlikely that anyone with PC points won't be spending any money in a hotel during the next year!

Thanks Raffles
hubby has 320,000 points might be worth exchanging some

So If I wanted to stay somewhere different e.g Hilton I could use the card to pay for the stay
Am I right?

Raffles
15th November 2007, 09:10
Thanks Raffles
hubby has 320,000 points might be worth exchanging some

So If I wanted to stay somewhere different e.g Hilton I could use the card to pay for the stay
Am I right?

Yes. You can use it at any hotel anywhere in the world that takes Amex.

320,000 points would get you 1,600 of Amex gift cards!

tyroleandancer
15th November 2007, 14:56
Yes. You can use it at any hotel anywhere in the world that takes Amex.

320,000 points would get you 1,600 of Amex gift cards!

Thank you
Now where to go :D

Macspreader
16th November 2007, 15:41
So, I've ordered a few. Now does anyone have any idea if they would be accepted at supermarkets etc., or is there some sort of filter on the system that means I can only use them on hotel stays? Not really a problem as I can use them for next summer holidays, but would be 'interesting' to know if they could be spent in this country as well (don't really use hotels much in the UK, but do spend lots with Mr T.)

V1P3R
16th November 2007, 16:05
so if you have booked a fully flexible rate at a hilton where the bill will be settled on checking out - you can use these prepaids card to settle the bill??

if the card is in pounds and you are paying for a stay in a foreign currency eg euros or dollars then how do you use the card??

for a credit card payment the card would be charged in dollars and then the exchange rate conversion would leave you with a bill in pounds. :confused:
the ich site states any hotel worldwide!!
i just converted all my aa miles to hilton points recently -- oh well

Raffles
16th November 2007, 16:37
You use them at any hotel that takes Amex. Any hotel, anywhere in the world.

If you use it abroad, you have to GUESS how much you can charge to the card without going over (which would get your card declined). Amex translates the amount to at its usual exhange rates less its usual handling fee, rounds it up (!) to the nearest and knocks it off your card.

Hotels are perfectly capable to accepting 2 cards for the same transaction - I did myself when I used one of these cards earlier in the year. So, if you have a 200 card and you have just spent $1,000 in the US, you would ask for (say) $400 to be charged to the Amex and $600 to your usual credit card. When you got home, you'd probably find that you had 3 or so left on your Amex - you could use that at a UK hotel, or just write it off. (Obviously if you used the card in Britain, you'd charge exactly 200 to the Amex card and thus wouldn't have the problem of having a small amount of credit left.)

You can look on the PC website when you get home to see how much credit is left. The card is valid for a year - if you don't spend all the money in a year, you lose it.

You CANNOT use these cards in any other establishment. They are rejected by the Amex system if they are not used in a business registered as a hotel. You get a covering note with your card which apologises for the fact that it may get rejected in hotel restaurants if you do not charge the meal to your room, because the bill may be treated as a 'restaurant' and not a 'hotel'.

Please post if you have any more queries, as I seem to be one of the very few people, even on Flyertalk, who has ever used one of these! I'm going to be ordering 475-worth myself before this promo ends.

tyroleandancer
16th November 2007, 17:06
so you can use the card to pay for meals and drinks as long as you charge it to your romm?

Def staying in London new years eve
Was going to stay at HI mayfair(stayed there before, not bad hotel)

We could now stay somewhere different

Any recommendations gratefully appreciated
Will be taking 2 children so ma pool would be handy

Thanks

Macspreader
16th November 2007, 17:32
You use them at any hotel that takes Amex. Any hotel, anywhere in the world.

<SNIP>

You CANNOT use these cards in any other establishment. They are rejected by the Amex system if they are not used in a business registered as a hotel. You get a covering note with your card which apologises for the fact that it may get rejected in hotel restaurants if you do not charge the meal to your room, because the bill may be treated as a 'restaurant' and not a 'hotel'.

Thanks for that, will put them safely aside until my holidays next summer. Should be a nice help to the budget though, with 1k ordered last night. Will probably use most of them in PC hotels as well, but will be nice to get points for a 'free' stay.

Raffles
16th November 2007, 17:44
so you can use the card to pay for meals and drinks as long as you charge it to your romm?

Def staying in London new years eve
Was going to stay at HI mayfair(stayed there before, not bad hotel)

We could now stay somewhere different

Any recommendations gratefully appreciated
Will be taking 2 children so ma pool would be handy

Thanks

Yes. The only thing you possibly can't do is eat in a hotel restaurant if you are not staying in the hotel.

If you've got the HI Mayfair booked on points, you need to do the maths - look at the rate for paying cash (room only), work out what 25,000 points is worth (ie 122, as 41000 are worth 200) and see what is cheapest. To be honest, it might be best to keep your booking at this price.

Hotels with pools - tricky. The Haymarket is a funky new hotel near Piccadilly Circus with a pool, although they often cover it over for functions. The Carlton Tower in Knightsbridge, behind Harvey Nicks, has a superb pool and spa complex - Ms Raffles has facials there.

If you search for hotels on Expedia, there is an option (on the 2nd menu page) to show only hotels with pools - this will narrow it down a bit. There are no obvious bargains for Dec 31st, though, but it does have the Carlton Tower at 170 + fees which is a bit of a bargain for a plush 5-star. The tube runs all night on NYE so no problems getting back to Knightsbridge. I'm not sure if Harvey Nicks or Harrods would be open on New Years Day, though. The Harrods sale doesn't start until 4-5 Jan usually, so no point going there!

tyroleandancer
16th November 2007, 17:58
Yes. The only thing you possibly can't do is eat in a hotel restaurant if you are not staying in the hotel.

If you've got the HI Mayfair booked on points, you need to do the maths - look at the rate for paying cash (room only), work out what 25,000 points is worth (ie 122, as 41000 are worth 200) and see what is cheapest. To be honest, it might be best to keep your booking at this price.

Hotels with pools - tricky. The Haymarket is a funky new hotel near Piccadilly Circus with a pool, although they often cover it over for functions. The Carlton Tower in Knightsbridge, behind Harvey Nicks, has a superb pool and spa complex - Ms Raffles has facials there.

If you search for hotels on Expedia, there is an option (on the 2nd menu page) to show only hotels with pools - this will narrow it down a bit. There are no obvious bargains for Dec 31st, though, but it does have the Carlton Tower at 170 + fees which is a bit of a bargain for a plush 5-star. The tube runs all night on NYE so no problems getting back to Knightsbridge. I'm not sure if Harvey Nicks or Harrods would be open on New Years Day, though. The Harrods sale doesn't start until 4-5 Jan usually, so no point going there!

Only staying new Year Eve as hubby is working New Years day
I will be heading home after breakfast
Hope to see a show and do some ice skaying New Years Eve
Thanks for your help

Macspreader
16th November 2007, 19:48

But remember that the hotel booked on points doesn't just cost you the number of points stated !

A 25,000 point HI which costs 150 will actually cost you ~30,000 points, when you consider the lost points you could earn as well, when you earn 5,000 or so points from staying and paying (based on getting some sort of offer, plus platinum / gold bonii etc.). At that rate, I would take the card and pay cash to get another night stay credit.

tyroleandancer
18th November 2007, 22:34
have ordered my card
2 x 150
Thank you

miles from tesco
2nd December 2007, 01:36
Thank you for the info but i found in the offer section POINTBREAK which was offering me CROWN PLAZA hotels for 5000 points a night, so this is a far better offer, for me anyway.

golarge
2nd December 2007, 09:35
Thanks just cashed up 41000 for 200. Better value than the points at the hotels I want to use which in one case is charging 25000 for a night at a HI Express!

miles from tesco
2nd December 2007, 15:26
Thanks just cashed up 41000 for 200. Better value than the points at the hotels I want to use which in one case is charging 25000 for a night at a HI Express!

I have a few points less then you, so lets say i took 3 rooms in H.I.C.P in Belgium they are asking 88.00 a room = 264.00, now i can use 15000 points for the 3 rooms & still have 20 odd k left

Raffles
2nd December 2007, 19:18
I have a few points less then you, so lets say i took 3 rooms in H.I.C.P in Belgium they are asking 88.00 a room = 264.00, now i can use 15000 points for the 3 rooms & still have 20 odd k left

PointsBreaks are a bit limited, though. You need to be travelling in the short term to one of the few places that are currently doing them, and you need to want to stay at the hotel they are offering. Neither of the CP's in Brussels would be my first choice for a trip with my partner, for instance - although they are fine if you're there for the (cherry) beer!

Anyway, 5,000 points is a rounding error for anyone who has been doing stays recently with the 'quadruple points' promotion!

Macspreader
2nd December 2007, 19:57
Agreed with Raffles, if the Pointsbreaks suit you, they cannot be beaten - I've kept about 30k points 'just in case'. I had two rooms for three nights at the IC Dusseldorf earlier this year and it was fantastic - I had a suite upgrade with all the priveliges and the second room had a very nice room indeed, albeit standard size.

Aside from Pointsbreaks, go for the AMEX cards - a very good deal. I've bought a big chunk of these and am hoping they will arrive on time for my next hotel stay, but if not I'll just need to book another stay later ;)

As for 5k being a rounding error, well maybe a bit like that, but not 100%. I managed about 220k from 20 odd nights this year, or about 1k cashback on maybe 3k of spend.

tyroleandancer
29th May 2008, 01:24
Saving our points this year in the hope that this offer is repeated :)
Saved a fortune as hubby used the cards to pay for work hotel stays and then claimed the cash back.