PDA

View Full Version : flights to New Zealand

granb
20th November 2007, 19:15
Hi

Has anyone flown to New Zealand with their clubcard points? I am desperately saving to go in October and need some advice on what is the best way to do this with clubcard deals.... any advice????:help::help::help:

angelic
20th November 2007, 20:59
Sorry I can't help as I am new to Deals and points collecting, but interested in any replies as my sister lives in NZ.

Which part of NZ are you going to?

Beej
20th November 2007, 21:17
Do Virgin go to NZ? But you have to book accommodation for the length of your stay with Virgin.

baconbap
20th November 2007, 23:22
cosmos go to nz - probably it's cosmos tourama

sylwright
21st November 2007, 15:21
cosmos go to nz - probably it's cosmos tourama

Do Cosmos go to Australia?

baconbap
21st November 2007, 18:17
Do Cosmos go to Australia?

yes, just checked - cosmos tourama do australia and they do nz - it's not cheap though.

granb
21st November 2007, 23:15
thanks for all the feedback. We are hopefully going to north island, Hawkes Bay, but do need a good price on flights. Will defo check out Cosmos and see what deals they are coming up with. thanks again:ranger::plane:

Raffles
22nd November 2007, 09:18
Your best bet may be to buy a package holiday, with crap hotels, and then not use the hotels. However, if you're planning a long trip then the economics don't really work because you're paying for 14 hotel nights you don't want.

In general, though, flights down under are so cheap anyway (in context, given how far you are going) that paying cash may end up being the best deal in the end.

You may also want to price up flights from Sydney to NZ on someone cheap like Virgin Blue, and then look for a cheap package to SYD. Spend a few days there and then fly on to NZ. There is far more competition on the SYD route and you could look at using Virgin Holidays.

granb
23rd November 2007, 16:54
Like the idea of flying to sidney first - am just going to check that out.... fingers crossed it bring the prices down. I am very new to all this so need all the help I can get - thanks again.

mrsdarts
24th November 2007, 18:36
you could always convert your points to air miles and perhaps sort out accomodation seperately, my friend is trying to go to nz too and the flight is working out quite cheap!

cornishsimon
2nd December 2007, 01:55
well airmiles would be a safe bet as they seem to get fairly good availability with lots of carriers.

a quick look at a random October08 set of dates gives you 16 options/routings, best of which are below:

Flying Economy Class with Air New Zealand
(11,300 or ?626 cash with 125 miles back, both with taxes of ?227.90)
NZ0001 LHR-AKL
NZ0002 AKL-LHR

Flying Economy Class with British Airways
(only cash price available, ?804 and get 160 miles back plus ?331.40 taxes)
BA0009 LHR-SYD BA7337 SYD-AKL
BA7342 AKL-SYD BA0010 SYD-LHR

think its basically down to routing you want, carrier, cabin etc etc etc.
however it is deff worth playing around, the BA example i mentioned above priced out at well over ?1100 on ba.com so it would be better to book direct!

dm827430
9th December 2007, 20:38
singapore airlines (via kayak via ebookers) is showing 770 including taxes for random date in oct (change in SIN)
alternately with the bmi credit card (taking free flight to germany) nz air would be about 750

Raffles
10th December 2007, 09:08
I have always posted on here that Air Miles are not a great use of CC deals in most (not all) cases and are worth roughly 5.5p. This proves the point again.

If the flight is 11,300 Air Miles or ?626 (with 125 miles back) then your Air Miles are worth 5.6p each.

?2.50 in Deals gets you 60 Air Miles, so you get ?3.36 of value (60 x 5.6p). This is only 1.34 x face value - a terrible deal compared to what you can do with your vouchers at Goldsmiths, Virgin, Motorpoint etc.

(By the way, BA0009 is not a BA plane - it is a Qantas flight with a BA code on it. This is probably why ba.com prices it strangely.)