PDA

View Full Version : Been offered a C house

meemo38
27th November 2007, 13:31
Woohoo been on our council list for 7 years, wanting a 3 or 4 bed, but not expecting a 4, was offered 2 3 beds a bout a month ago, first was a def NO as was on a horrible street i said i didnt want, 2nd LOL just had to be a decent house but on the same street as my mother who i dont talk to , so NO, third, woohooo a 4 bed, straight across from my EX MIL, which i am 99% certain we will be taking, although hubby wants to stay here as its so close to toen, but we would be a fool not to take the C house, they only have a handful of 4 beds.
I think they are having a sweep in getting single people out of big 3/4 bed houses, the kids will be pleased, well maybe not the 2 girls as they are close to mates here, but the 11 year old will be as our road will join onto his dads road, were all his mates are.
Cant wait to get the keys which i dont think will be yet, i have to giive a months notice in this house anyway.
A lot to do so close to xmas but hey i dont mind so much as hubby, but he will be fine with it in the end.
Michelle

shopsomemore
27th November 2007, 13:33
Well done. (Not going to say alot or I will start to go off on one - not at you!!)

Maverick
27th November 2007, 13:41
Yes well done (me too) wonder if its the same rant! lol!

princessa
27th November 2007, 13:44
Well done! And I don't have a rant about the council :D

tiger
27th November 2007, 13:50
I'm very pleased for you meemo.
With it being opposite your MIL at least you know a bit about the neighbours or can ask her.

DS & his family moved into what seemed a pleasant street and have got some nightmare neighbours. I would always recommend anyone to ask around and also go and visit the street on an evening or weekend to check on noise levels.

mmm
27th November 2007, 13:53
well done Michelle.

Jules_2005
27th November 2007, 13:54
excellent news meemo.

jenchin
27th November 2007, 16:53
Good news meemo:) In our area you can only turn down 2 houses otherwise you go back down the list. Might be worth checking:)

meemo38
27th November 2007, 16:54
mmmmmm i am intrigued at what you 2 may want to rant about?????
Michelle

flookie
27th November 2007, 17:05
Am pleased for you hun,we have been waiting to be moved for nearly 5 years now and apparently according to the council it could take up to 10 years!!!!!! Am not asking for anything spectacular,but we are in a 1 bed flat and there are 3 of us,so its a bit cramped.

KRYSIA0508
27th November 2007, 17:09
Well done Michelle. I hope you will all be very happy there.

jenchin
27th November 2007, 17:11
Michelle

What 2?

Mamzie
27th November 2007, 17:13
Well done. (Not going to say alot or I will start to go off on one - not at you!!)

Yes well done (me too) wonder if its the same rant! lol!

Michelle

Congrats Meemo, I would def take the house.

I'm intrigued as well, go on tell us...

borderlakeland
27th November 2007, 17:15
wow congratulations.lucky ol you.council houses are scarse at best of times let alone 4 beds,maybe you should buy some lottery tickets while your feeling lucky.
(i could rant about the council for england:mad:)

shoppaholic45
27th November 2007, 17:17
well done thats really good, i know what you mean about the council grrrrrrr

Mamzie
27th November 2007, 17:55
I'm just nosy and wondered what their rant was.

I can understand about council rants, a local group are taking our council to Welsh Assembly and they have just decided to ignore a request from them...

Link to articles on pool and Torfaens response to WAG.

You are able to leave a comment, and they often publish some of these in a follow up edition. Please pass on to friends, so that they can see people are still interested.

http://www.freepressseries.co.uk/display.var.1862424.0.assembly_told_to_keep_out_of _pool_row.php

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/swanews/display.var.1861740.0.keep_out_of_pool_row_assembl y_told.php

Maverick
27th November 2007, 17:56
Mine was more maggie, selling the houses, blah blah. Eligabilty issues etc..........

meemo38
27th November 2007, 18:06
I thought possibly it might be to do with selling them off ect, thats why they are so scarce, we have been on the list almost 8 years, we rent privatly at the min, 3 bedroomed house, with 7 of us in it, so we are extremley lucky to be offered the 4 bedroomed house, like i said i wasnt expecting a 4, just a 3, and our intention was to use the living room as the fourth bedroom, but thankfully we dont need to, i rang and said i am happy to provisionlly accept, and they say they still havnt got the keys, so dont know when i can even go look round, i am expecting it will need a lot doing o it though:(
Michelle

zoot
27th November 2007, 19:12
glad things are going your way Meemo. Hope you get the house without any problems.

tiger
28th November 2007, 11:44
I think you have a week or so rent free to decorate so if it needs a lot doing see if you can negotiate some extra time.

CharleneUK
28th November 2007, 11:53
That's fantastic news!!! I wish we were as lucky as you! Five of us in a 2 bed flat!! Eeek!!

We did try and buy with assistance for the LA, but missed the boat, now we're completely priced out of the market. :( We've been told 9 years wait.

Which area do you live in if you don't mind me asking?

shoppaholic45
28th November 2007, 12:06
it is riduleous now with the housing, i was living in a ha till two years ago, was on council waiting list for three years in the mean time i was living with the neighbours from hell and dreaded going home, it affected my health i got medical letters to support me and the ha didn't want to know nor did the council, in the end enough was enough and i had to get out of their for my health and moved in to private rented which i much prefer now, my health has imporved partly due to that and partley due to me been able to do somethign about it. Only thing i have now thou is i have to pay a lot towards my rent which im going to appeal against as i can't see where they can justicfie what my house is worth

tiger
28th November 2007, 12:17
It's so hard now to buy a house so I suppose there is much more demand in recent years for council houses.
DS2 was thinking of buying a house about 4 years ago but was worried about over stretching himself, even though he had a decent deposit.
It's a pity he didn't take the plunge because he could always have rented it out.
Prices have gone up by about 35% in this area since then. The only way he could afford a house now is if he gets a job with a huge salary increase. :(

Pearls
28th November 2007, 12:26
I remember growing up - we were so jealous of friends who lived in a lovely 4 bed council house with a garden - while we were holed up in a poky flat on a busy road. I never imagined that I would live in a fab house like I do now (well it will be fab when the builders finish the extension and I can get the MIL into it and out of my hair!) I hope it all goes well for you M.

meemo38
28th November 2007, 15:47
That's fantastic news!!! I wish we were as lucky as you! Five of us in a 2 bed flat!! Eeek!!

We did try and buy with assistance for the LA, but missed the boat, now we're completely priced out of the market. :( We've been told 9 years wait.

Which area do you live in if you don't mind me asking?
I'll PM you chic.
Michelle

Ladyshopper
28th November 2007, 15:49
Great news Michelle, well done.

alibongo
5th December 2007, 00:20
Meemo38 we appear to be in the same boat, this has just happened to us as we are over crowded and tbh I am shell shocked, don't get me wrong I am over the moon as my family will no longer be living in each others pocket. We have been waiting for 9 years and we are council tenants.
But as much as this is what we have prayed for it has come at the worst time possible and in true council style, we waited 9 years and they expect us to move in 5 days, so no money, no real friends due to split with ex and only family that can help is disabled but can help with a car.
We have no carpets, house all old wood floors and concrete, really worried about 4 year old here, windows all wrong size for our curtains etc so none of these either, we have beds, sofas pots and pans etc, not wanting for anything on these fronts just really looking for some advice re actually moving and carpets........tried freecycle and so far nothing...........any one with any other suggestions to keep dd safe with the floors would be helpful.
As I said this is fantastic for us just comes at really bad time, think Christmas is going to have to be cancelled as all money has now to be diverted into house move, decorating etc, any advice, hints and tips for a smooth, cheap move gratefully received, thanks in advance, ali x

tiger
5th December 2007, 00:52
Alibongo, there is a charity called Emmaus. They raise money to help ex homeless people by selling secondhand furniture and household goods. They sell things at very competitive prices. They also try to help people who are on benefits by either giving them furniture free or extremely cheaply.

Emmaus (http://www.emmaus.org.uk/)

If you are interested, take a look and click on the map to see if there are any near you.

alibongo
5th December 2007, 00:55
thanks Tiger, this is the sort of advice I was hoping for, I applied for a budgeting loan from Social Fund but I am already being deducted 3 bills so I think they will say I am overstretched already, will check this out now x

tiger
5th December 2007, 00:58
They have an Emmaus near me and some of the things they get to sell are in really good condition. I've bought curtains from them myself. I'm not sure if they will have carpets. Sometimes they do, other times not.

alibongo
5th December 2007, 01:01
Thank Tiger, just checked it out, nearest one about an hour and a half away so no go for me as I wont drive my car more than 15 minutes for fear of it breaking down and me being stuck in it with kids ( not fun ) but this may well be of use to someone else x

tiger
5th December 2007, 01:02
Phone your local council as there may be other recycling schemes in your area that offer something similar.

alibongo
5th December 2007, 01:12
I have asked council and there was one charity place near by, but it did not have any of what we needed, we can salvage 1 carpet I think it will fit dd's bedroom, ( hopefully ) but she spends most of her time with me downstairs, just so worried about everything tbh.

Boo yes they do expect us to move so quickly, I moaned a small amount, but I am just so grateful to be moving as we need it as a family, tbh I think being so cramped up went a long way to the demise of my relationship with my ex. It's annoying really as in the tenant's agreement we have to give the council 4 weeks notice if choose to move....go figure....x

alibongo
5th December 2007, 01:14
Thanks Boo, will go look there tomorrow, never really used TJ Hughs but def worth a look x

SuzyWoo
5th December 2007, 08:39
TJ Hughes really have some great bargains, good quality too.

Gizmos
5th December 2007, 10:58
large sized rugs may be the solution in the short term no need to have them under the sofa etc would cover a large area

meemo38
5th December 2007, 11:03
Alibongo, maybe post what area you are in someone might be at least able to help with a pair of curtains ect, i am in the same boat curtain wise, in a terraced house now with long narrow windows, and the council house is wide shorter windows, but luckily i know some will fit and i am in position to get some cheap ones if needed.
I know its not great but how about if you do get a bit of cash go for the vwery cheapest carpet and just put it were you urgently need it, the coded type is usually very cheap, i am hoping 2 of our carpets will fit 2 of the small bedrooms, and i am removing my laminate flooring as its a good thick quality i had put down with insurance money when the dog chewed the old lino up.
i would keep trying with freecycle, i know ours is only one post a month, which isnt great but could you post the moderator on freecycle and tell them your dilemma, at least they may keep the post at the top for you and mark it urgent.
Although we are by no means rolling in cash i wish i could help, i feel for you, i am dreading the trauma of the move, decorating, carpeting ect, and we will do the main stuff like carpets upstairs as i may sand the floors as i have done here if the boards are ok in the living room......still not got the keys to even look at ours, and i didnt realise they give you 5 days to move in, i have to give my landlord a months notice, but i am a month in front as this was required for private rent.
please give your area, some might even have a square of carpet for the middle of the room for now at least.
Goodluck hunny
Michelle

tiger
5th December 2007, 11:13
Good idea Meemo.

Alibongo, if you post your approximate area where you live, someone might be able to help.

Give the room sizes and window sizes. People often have spare curtains that they would be happy to give away.

borderlakeland
5th December 2007, 17:33
not sure if they have them in your area but try MIND charity,they help with furniture etc when moving.also try local salvation army.failing that what about local charity shops.you might not get the choice you want but they do have some great bargins.i picked up a huge pair of lined velvet curtains for a few quid.
i know its for scotland but this site looks helpful
http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/home/index.cfm

Tabby
5th December 2007, 17:51
Woohoo Memo!! Thats good news and I hope your move goes well. I bet it will seem huge at first but I'm sure you will make it homely.
I got a council flat when I was young and single and it was so good to have my own space after growing up as one of six kids living in a tiny 3 bedroomed terrace.
Alibongo try the Charity shops in some of the better off areas near you. You'll be amazed what some well off people get rid of!;)

alibongo
5th December 2007, 18:37
Thanks for all the advice folks, just checking in quickly now, am off to start painting new place will try and check in later and update all, catch you later, Ali xxxxx

meemo38
5th December 2007, 20:13
Woohoo Memo!! Thats good news and I hope your move goes well. I bet it will seem huge at first but I'm sure you will make it homely.
I got a council flat when I was young and single and it was so good to have my own space after growing up as one of six kids living in a tiny 3 bedroomed terrace.
Alibongo try the Charity shops in some of the better off areas near you. You'll be amazed what some well off people get rid of!;)
Thanks, dont think it will feel huge as the house we live is is a decebt size, just one 'proper' bedroom more in the new house, and an attic, which i miss, kids have attic rooms at the minute, so no storage space.
Excited though, just fedup of waiting for the blinkin keys
Michelle

clockwatcher
5th December 2007, 23:55
Ex-catalogue shops often have curtains for ?10 or less. Also, if you have an Ikea near you, they do some quite nice curtains pretty cheap.

dawnb
7th December 2007, 00:07
Dunelm mill has some reasonable priced curtains/fabrics, rugs etc. They have a web page to check locations as well.

Angel
14th December 2007, 10:10
Thanks for all the advice folks, just checking in quickly now, am off to start painting new place will try and check in later and update all, catch you later, Ali xxxxx

How are you getting on Ali?

ClaireDares
14th December 2007, 11:41
Thats great meemo, (only just looked at post) i am waiting or a council place at the mo, but im so hapy where i am in my temp place i dont want to move, as its massive and i know i will get something no where near as good with council,