PDA

View Full Version : Hotel in Manc with Deals?

squish
27th November 2007, 15:42
Can anyone recommend a hotel in manchester...
although so far hilton and marriot is full ;(

kayw
28th November 2007, 22:43
we have been to most of the Macdonald Hotels in the area, and all are OK. Kilhey Court in Wigan ( a bit far I know, but we did go into Manchester from there) was not quite so good, but had no complaints with any of them

shopsomemore
28th November 2007, 22:57
Sorry no help - not sure what other ones there are with deals. We have booked for Dec for the Macdonald near Picalilly. But that was not with deals as it had to be a two night stay with MacD if I remember rightly and we are only doing 1 night.
Went through one of those other hotel sites and it was lots cheaper than going direct.

tanner833
28th November 2007, 23:27
The Copthorne Hotel on Salford Quays is a possibility, and short tram ride to City centre.

tanner833
28th November 2007, 23:45
Thistle hotels have one in Manchester as well, right in the city centre.

Raffles
29th November 2007, 09:56
Thistle hotels have one in Manchester as well, right in the city centre.

NO, NO, NO.

This is possibly the most disgusting four-star hotel in the UK. (Almost as disgusting as the Jarvis or Britannia in Manchester, home of UK's worst hotels.)

Read the reviews on tripadvisor.com . It would be funny, except that people pay to stay there.

This is what I wrote in 2002 - and it hasn't had a penny spent on it since:

"Certainly the worst four-star in Manchester, possibly the worst in the UK. Consider the evidence: incredibly tiny rooms (and I was not unlucky - I checked out a few more). Most rooms overlook a tiny courtyard which cuts out light. In addition, the air conditioning equipment is in the courtyard and squeels all night, and the guest opposite you can look right into your room. There's more: single travellers get rooms with single beds unless you fight them (as I did). Only ONE bathtowel in the bathroom! No free moisturiser. Scruffy 1970's decor with ripped wallpaper, cracked glass and peeling putty in the bathroom. A lacklustre breakfast with two-hour old fried eggs sitting under heat lamps. No public areas. A swimming pool the size of a postage stamp. And, especially for my stay: no rooms available when I checked in at 2.30pm (a conference party taking over almost the entire hotel had been given a 3pm late check-out), and a room with no TV remote control (they did find one eventually). The only good points: the jacuzzi and sauna and free newspapers. Don't be fooled by the smart restaurant and reception and the Edwardian facade - this is the worst sort of chain hotel where no-one gives a damn. How does it get four stars? Easy - the UK's odd rating system ignores ambiance, decor, room size etc and concentrates on facts such as whether the room has a trouser press! There is a brand new Novotel and Ibis two mins down the road which I imagine are clean, modern and airy - try those."

miss bargainmad
29th November 2007, 14:53
I live in Manchester and have stayed at the Victoria & Albert Marriott Hotel near Granada - this is very good and I paid using deals.

If not using deals the new City Inn looks very nice and is very central.

squish
29th November 2007, 18:20
Hiya,
Thanx tanner 833 I went for the Thistle as it was the only one that had availability for the 12th. ?100 in deals.
Rooms don't look amazing but I just can't afford to pay cash at the mo so it will do fine and it is a great location.

Raffles only just seen your reply o well we shall see

Thanx everyone ;)

suziq
29th November 2007, 18:23
enjoy! what are you doing in town then?

squish
29th November 2007, 18:51
Arctic Monkeeeeeys gig! Cant wait, it's midweek and I live in Rotherham so thought a hotel would be nice to end a great night / date.

Off to see Kaisers tomorrow in Manc too, 2 gigs in 2 weeks woowoo!!

It will be the first time I have used deal vouchers on a hotel, so far only had one meal in Haha restaurant, got another ?500 of deals to spend...how wicked is that.

Thanx alot to this site for all the 1000 codes the other month

Thanx everyone for helping me with hotel choice will rep you all now
x

Raffles
30th November 2007, 09:50
Hiya,
Thanx tanner 833 I went for the Thistle as it was the only one that had availability for the 12th. ?100 in deals.
Rooms don't look amazing but I just can't afford to pay cash at the mo so it will do fine and it is a great location.

Raffles only just seen your reply o well we shall see

Thanx everyone ;)

No. Cancel.

The Thistle is ten times more disgusting than a Premier Travel Inn or Travelodge or Ibis. There is a Premier Travel Inn behind the Midland Hotel which is even more convenient.

There is no "we shall see". It is a dump. Almost everyone on Tripadvisor who stays there gives it the lowest '1 star out of 5' rating. I wouldn't send my worst enemy there.

squish
30th November 2007, 12:02
Hiya,
But thats ?82 with no breakfast and I have no money

I guess if I could find a hotel for ?50 I can try sell these deals vouchers to cover it.

arghhh I don't know what to do now

Hannah2
30th November 2007, 13:22
Hiya,
But thats ?82 with no breakfast and I have no money

I guess if I could find a hotel for ?50 I can try sell these deals vouchers to cover it.

arghhh I don't know what to do now

Hi, dont know if it helps but how about Travelodge? I assume you are going on 12th Dec?

If so then Didsbury Travelodge is showing at ?51.

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/make_a_booking/availability.php?hotel_id=155&doa_dd=12&doa_mm=12-2007&stay_len=1&no_of_rooms=1&smoking_1=NS&disabled_1=N&smoking_2=NS&disabled_2=N&smoking_3=NS&disabled_3=N&smoking_4=NS&disabled_4=N&corp_code=&corp_id=&rate_plan=&travel_agent=&agent_type=&agent_code=&btnCheckAvailabilityB.x=60&btnCheckAvailabilityB.y=20

I have stayed here a few times and it is one of the better Travelodges I have stayed in. There is good carparking (free) if you are driving there and it has good bus links to the city centre, with night buses as well. I think it is bus routes 42/142 which go to the city centre (picadilly) and you can also get the 50 as well which is a different route. Others might be able to confirm exact details for you.

There is a tesco across the road (could use vouchers for breakfast?).

HTH

squish
30th November 2007, 13:55
Thanx Hannah its an option but I really want/need to be central for coming home at night after the bars close don't want hassle/cost with taxis.

and that aint gunner happen for ?50 is it?

Because now my 14days are up to book somewhere with deals too.
I can't understand how this is a ?100 a night hotel if its that bad? gunner check the reviews now

Im off to manchester tonight it may be an idea for me to go round and check it out, if its terrible then cancel tomorrow

shopsomemore
1st December 2007, 00:26
The new Macdonald by the train station is ?60 a night with yummy breakfast included. Near to train station. But not if you go through their web site.

miss bargainmad
1st December 2007, 12:15
If you really have to stay there complain about the room if it is disgraceful and they might move you to a better one, if there are any.

squish
1st December 2007, 19:31
Yes I thought about that miss bargainmad thanx.....although I didn't realise the new Macdonald was ?60, how do I get that price shopsomemore?

x

squish
14th December 2007, 20:17
Hi all,
Stayed at the Thistle in Manchester and had no problems at all after all the bad reviews we went there a little worried.
All was great, went down to the bar twice for ice and glasses and the service was great even went down and asked them if they could bring the breakfast up and they did at no charge !!
Fab
The room was clean and had eveything it needed.
It wasn't very warm so we needed to put the heater on but it was very cold outside
I guess it depends on the room and we must have been lucky.

suziq
14th December 2007, 20:33
well done squish! how were the arctic monkeys?

squish
14th December 2007, 20:45
They were great music wise, sounded perfect but they don't have any stage presence I think Alex turner said about 20 words in total and didn't move from one spot.

But they played great music as expected

When Brianstorm came on eveyone went mental !!!

suziq
14th December 2007, 21:34
lol, sounds good! i love bands with frontmen, but hey, we are not all the same! try snake davis!

Candystore
15th December 2007, 15:33
Yes I thought about that miss bargainmad thanx.....although I didn't realise the new Macdonald was ?60, how do I get that price shopsomemore?

x

I thought that it was around ?100 a night, would really like to know where I could get it for ?60?

Would save me a lot of money as I currently pay around ?100 to stay at the City Inn!