PDA

View Full Version : Gutted - House Sale Just Fallen Through

addictedtosaving
28th November 2007, 12:47
I am absolutely gutted.

Our house has been on the market for 15 months and on 10th November we received an offer which we accepted. I then spent the next 7 days looking for a new property for us to buy. Eventually I found one that suited all our needs and yesterday we had the survey done on it at a cost of ?350.

Today, I telephoned my estate agent to check when the buyers were having their survey done on my property and she said she would ring them to find out.

She has just rung me to tell me that due to personal circumstances the buyers are not proceeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would have been nice if they had let us know, rather than having to chase them.

Unless we find a buyer very quickly then the house we were hoping to purchase could be sold to somebody else and we will have lost our ?350 we have paid for the survey.

mmm
28th November 2007, 12:49
Really sorry to hear this, hope someone comes along quickly & snaps up your house.

Its amaizing how rude some people can be, a phone call costs nothing.

Maverick
28th November 2007, 12:53
Its sooo annoying, they should be made to pay your costs, if there isnt a damm good reason, but unfortunetley it doesnt work like that.
Hope you find a buyer soon, in the meantime, you had better let the people you are buying from know that the chain has collapsed, before they hear it the same way. Ask them if they will give you a few weeks grace to find another buyer. :hug:

Ladyshopper
28th November 2007, 12:57
I'm so sorry to hear that, bet you're well fed up.

I sold mine end of August and still not moved, was supposed to exchange last Friday and it didn't happen. They say moving house is one of the most stressfull things you can do, you're not wrong!

Hope you get another buyer soon.

DaisyChain
28th November 2007, 13:10
Sympathies Addicted, I know what house moving can be like

Good luck with another buyer - not an easy time of year but that might also mean the property you want stays available too

addictedtosaving
28th November 2007, 13:37
Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

I rang the estate agents for the house I am buying immediately to inform them of the situation because I wouldn't have wanted the vendor to find out the same way that we did. The vendor had agreed to take the house off the market upon receipt of our offer but has said she wants it to go back on the market if we haven't re-sold ours within 7 days. Understandable I suppose but bearing in mind that it had been on the market for 15 months before we received our offer I am not holding out much hope for another offer so soon!

Back to the drawing board, as they say.

angel,dust
28th November 2007, 13:55
awww nightmare you have my sympathies!!!!
best thing I can suggest is you clear out the house of clutter (not saying it is like but well....) if you can. make sure its spick and span and pressure your agent for some viewings!!

Maldives
28th November 2007, 14:01
I think at some stage or another we have all been there.... I really feel for you..

Have a huge :hug:

Miss Wetwipe
28th November 2007, 14:02
Sorry to hear this. There should certainly be some sort of law in place to prevent this from happening. Hope it all works out for you hun! :hug:

addictedtosaving
28th November 2007, 14:24
I wish there was a law in place to stop this happening because this is the second time in 3 years that this has happened to me! You would have thought I'd have learned by now!

Just before I bought this house I was actually in the process of purchasing a different property. Again, I paid for the survey to be done and even incurred solicitors fees but 2 weeks before completion, and before contracts were exchanged, the vendors pulled out. Apparently he had been hoping for promotion in a different force but when he didn't get the promotion they didn't need to move so took the house off the market. Unfortunately, they had failed to let me know the circumstances earlier otherwise I wouldn't have gone ahead, knowing the uncertainty of it all.

I had already sold my property and had moved in with my sister for a couple of weeks until it completed. Therefore, I had to find somewhere else to buy.

Unfortunately I bought this duffer!!!

Becles
28th November 2007, 14:56
Sorry to hear that.

I've always thought the system should be changed so the offer acceptance stage binds people to buying the house, unless the survey turns up something nasty on the house.

CharleneUK
28th November 2007, 23:42
Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear that!!

I hope someone puts an offer in really soon!!

Raffles
29th November 2007, 11:00
You don't think having it unsold for 15 months means its overpriced? The market does seem to have spoken.

For most of the last 15 months, anything decent in London would be under offer within 2 days and often within a couple of hours (albeit that is certainly not the case at the moment). The UK national average is 16 weeks BUT that is 16 weeks from the day you instruct the agent to the day you complete. This means that the average house will be under offer within about 8 weeks of the agent formally starting the marketing programme.

The front page of the Financial Times today is 'New fears for housing in credit collapse'. Its actually a lot worse out there than people realise - viewings have collapsed on 6 months ago, the Countrywide group of estate agents (which includes lots of well known brands) has already warned on profits and has started to close branches and, more interestingly, repossessed flats going to auction are reportedly selling for 25-35% less than the current asking prices for similar properties.

(This is not in any way a snidy post. My mother bought a new house last year and kept her old one whilst refurbishing the new place. She is probably going to take a hit now on the sale price of her existing property compared to what she could have got had she sold it as soon as she bought the new one in 2006.)

holliemon
29th November 2007, 11:14
Sorry to hear your news but a lesson learnt.

Do not have a survey done on your new house until your Buyers have had their survey done. At least you know then they are keen. Things can still go wrong until exchange of Contracts but if they shell out money for a survey then they want the house. In this day and age and the market being as it is I wouldn't even look seriously for a new property until the Buyers have got at least their survey done and I would check down the line of everyones position.

Hope you find a new buyer and your move goes swift.

holliemon
29th November 2007, 11:15
I live in Yorkshire and some properties are on the market for a long time as they are so many new builds and apartments. Buyers have a large choice of properties.

addictedtosaving
29th November 2007, 11:19
It isn't overpriced. It is a 3 bedroom semi detached house in a sought after location which has been done up to a very high standard because I had hoped to spend many years here. The only downside to it is that it has not got a garden. If it did have a garden it would have sold for ?130,000, at least. We initially had an asking price of ?125,000 (the average price the estate agents valued it at) but it is now on the market for ?116,500, and the sale that fell through was with an offer of ?115,000.

When I bought the house I was a single parent with 2 children and had a partner who I had been with for 4 years and had his own house. I liked my independence and didn't want to move in with him (I had been married for 6 years before we met and didn't want to have to share my home again with someone)! When my children went to their dads I stayed over at my boyfriends and when the children were at home he stayed at my house. Anyway, 6 months after I moved in I fell pregnant (unexpectedly), so OH sold his house and moved in. Now that Bethany is 2 we have outgrown this house and need a 4 bedroom house as Bethany is still in a cot in our bedroom (not room in DD1's room for her).

I originally paid ?91,000 for this house and we spent ?15,000 renovating and decorating it to a high standard. It is definitely worth ?116,500 compared to other houses in the area but the lack of garden puts most people off, especially as it was 2 bedrooms when I bought it and we had builders in to turn the main bedroom into 2 smaller bedrooms (still decent sized).

Sorry for going on and on and on but it is actually therapeutic writing it all down. I think I'm going :der:

holliemon
29th November 2007, 15:10
:star-smiley::star-smiley::star-smiley::star-smiley::star-smiley:Good Luck and I hope you find a buyer soon

addictedtosaving
29th November 2007, 15:27
I live in Yorkshire and some properties are on the market for a long time as they are so many new builds and apartments. Buyers have a large choice of properties.

I'm also in Yorkshire (West Yorkshire to be precise) and I worked for a firm of architects before I had my youngest and know only too well of all the new builds and apartments that are springing up everywhere because they were responsible for many of them!

There is something to be said for renting, at least when you want to move to another property you don't have all this hassle.

holliemon
29th November 2007, 15:29
Hey I am in West Yorkshire too - Halifax

holliemon
29th November 2007, 15:30
I am in West Yorkshire too- Halifax

holliemon
29th November 2007, 15:32
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:I am in West Yorkshire too- Halifax

holliemon
29th November 2007, 15:33
Something went wrong there

addictedtosaving
29th November 2007, 15:34
We are almost neighbours then, Im in Huddersfield. Don't want to buy a house do you!!:p

holliemon
29th November 2007, 15:35
Sorry happy where I am thank you.

I do know what you are going through as I have many friends trying to sell houses one couple for a couple of years but when they do sell it it falls through - they have given up at the moment.

holliemon
29th November 2007, 15:36
There again Huddersfield has a better shopping complex and Tesco (when I last visited) took lots of my vouchers - the Halifax stores dont (unless you get a kind man)

addictedtosaving
29th November 2007, 15:39
I usually find the Brighouse store are really good at taking lots of coupons. some SAs even get excited when I hand over a large pile of moc and cc coupons. :D

holliemon
29th November 2007, 15:41
I have only ever had one coupon shop there and I think she was a Saturday girl. I paid 32p but I had only bought some lever arch files for work - around ?7 worth. the rest tell me "one coupon only" bah

addictedtosaving
31st December 2007, 18:47
At the end of last month I started this thread because our buyer had just pulled out.

We have just received another offer on the house, ?500 more than the last offer.

He's a first time buyer and the house we had done a survey on is still for sale but we will have to wait until Wednesday to approach the vendor to re-submit our offer.

This is a brilliant end to 2007 and start to 2008. Hopefully this one will proceed successfully.

jenchin
31st December 2007, 18:51
Will keep everything crossed for you:)

Jules_2005
31st December 2007, 18:53
Good luck, I've got my fingers crossed for you

Polo
31st December 2007, 18:57
Hope it works out this time for you!!

Best wishes :hug:

tigger74
31st December 2007, 19:04
Good luck!

I hope it all works this time around!

Maverick
31st December 2007, 19:05
fantastic news hope it works out for you, has the vendor got any viewings in the mean time, if they have I would be tempted to contact them and let them know the score, so that you are not pipped to the post.

holliemon
31st December 2007, 19:05
good luck
will keep fingers crossed for you.

jen
31st December 2007, 19:09
Great news, hope all goes well.

addictedtosaving
20th February 2008, 00:41
We exchanged contracts today. We are moving into the new house on Friday. I am sooooooooo excited. New house this week, new car next week (Motorpoint).

holliemon
20th February 2008, 00:55
Thats brilliant news and long awaited. Where are you movin g to

indy
20th February 2008, 01:04
We exchanged contracts today. We are moving into the new house on Friday. I am sooooooooo excited. New house this week, new car next week (Motorpoint).

well done great news just wondered though will your motorpoint coupons have the right postcode on them!

addictedtosaving
20th February 2008, 01:29
well done great news just wondered though will your motorpoint coupons have the right postcode on them!

I ordered the car whilst still at this address so I won't tell them I've moved. I have set up my post for re-direction with Royal Mail so when the official documentation is sent to my current address it will automatically get forwarded to the new house. After a couple of weeks I will inform the relevant authorities that I have moved.

addictedtosaving
20th February 2008, 01:33
Thats brilliant news and long awaited. Where are you movin g to

We are moving about half a mile! We are moving from an 1880s semi without a garden to a 2003 three-storey semi with a garage, drive and garden. Only problem is there isn't a dishwasher in the new house :eek: and I will be without internet access for a couple of weeks:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I will have to go to mum and dad's house more regularly than I currently do and use their pc :ranger:

holliemon
20th February 2008, 08:21
Good luck with the move - you are not moving too far away so you will know which tescos to go to and which to avoid.

Ladyshopper
20th February 2008, 10:55
We are moving about half a mile! We are moving from an 1880s semi without a garden to a 2003 three-storey semi with a garage, drive and garden. Only problem is there isn't a dishwasher in the new house :eek: and I will be without internet access for a couple of weeks:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I will have to go to mum and dad's house more regularly than I currently do and use their pc :ranger:

Congrats Addictedtosaving. House sounds like my new one, hope you don't have the same problems I did with getting your sofa in - is your lounge on middle floor? Mine is, couldn't get sofa up and had to buy new one! :eek:

princesskerry
20th February 2008, 11:06
Comngratulations addictedtosaving, thats great news.:clap2:
We are putting our house on the market as soon as we have the garden fence in place hopefully next pay day, I'm hoping that everything will be gone through by the summer. It is the first time I have ever moved myself apart fropm as a child so have no idea what to expect, just hope it all goes well.:D

addictedtosaving
20th February 2008, 11:15
Congrats Addictedtosaving. House sounds like my new one, hope you don't have the same problems I did with getting your sofa in - is your lounge on middle floor? Mine is, couldn't get sofa up and had to buy new one! :eek:

I remember reading about your problems at the time and I did wonder if our sofa would cause us the same problems. Our living room is on the middle floor and the sofas are huge!!! My OH never liked these sofas so he will probably be relieved if they don't fit! :behindsofa:

Will let you know over the weekend if we managed it.

addictedtosaving
20th February 2008, 11:17
Comngratulations addictedtosaving, thats great news.:clap2:
We are putting our house on the market as soon as we have the garden fence in place hopefully next pay day, I'm hoping that everything will be gone through by the summer. It is the first time I have ever moved myself apart fropm as a child so have no idea what to expect, just hope it all goes well.:D

Prepare yourself for the MOST stressful time. Estate agents are useless (well, the ones we had dealings with were). It is all worth it though when it goes through. Good luck Kerry, hope everything goes smoothly.

Ladyshopper
20th February 2008, 11:32
I remember reading about your problems at the time and I did wonder if our sofa would cause us the same problems. Our living room is on the middle floor and the sofas are huge!!! My OH never liked these sofas so he will probably be relieved if they don't fit! :behindsofa:

Will let you know over the weekend if we managed it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Unfortunately I loved my sofa, and was most annoyed at having to pay out ?500 for another.

Kids think its great though, they have a lovely cream leather sofa in their playroom!

addictedtosaving
22nd February 2008, 00:39
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Unfortunately I loved my sofa, and was most annoyed at having to pay out ?500 for another.

Kids think its great though, they have a lovely cream leather sofa in their playroom!

My OH has just taken the sides off the sofa so we should be OK getting it into the new house.

Everything is now boxed up and ready to go. I am excited but also a bit apprehensive. I'll be glad when we have moved everything in, we are doing it ourselves with a hire van and both sets of parents helping us. My sister is looking after DD2 today and DD1 and DS will be at school.

I will miss you lot over the next couple of weeks until we get broadband sorted at new house. Hopefully when I am back on here I will be showing you pics of my new car. Still waiting for Motorpoint vouchers to come through and I ordered them on Saturday. :eek:

addictedtosaving
5th March 2008, 16:16
My OH has just taken the sides off the sofa so we should be OK getting it into the new house.

Everything is now boxed up and ready to go. I am excited but also a bit apprehensive. I'll be glad when we have moved everything in, we are doing it ourselves with a hire van and both sets of parents helping us. My sister is looking after DD2 today and DD1 and DS will be at school.

I will miss you lot over the next couple of weeks until we get broadband sorted at new house. Hopefully when I am back on here I will be showing you pics of my new car. Still waiting for Motorpoint vouchers to come through and I ordered them on Saturday. :eek:

I have been in my new house for 10 days and I have to wait another 2 weeks to get internet connection. :eek: I am at my dad's house now on his computer so just thought I would let you know that I have got my Motorpoint vouchers and am picking car up on Friday.

Ladyshopper, we got the settees up the stairs OK but we had a washing machine delivered yesterday and the delivery driver said he isn't allowed to take things upstairs so me and OH had to carry it up the stairs to the kitchen ourselves. I never realised how heavy a washing machine was. I ache so bad today from lifting it (although I think OH did most of the hard work, I just made it look like I was helping)