PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a Shepherds outfit from?

Sunshinecoast
5th December 2007, 15:44
I need some help here, dd7 is a shepherd on Monday and I have no cotsume, the letter came home from school and they said to send in dressing gown, tea towel etc which i did. But dd came home from school yesturday saying that she was the only shepherd without a proper costume and that shepherds do not wear dressing gowns!

I did look at the costume in mr ts last week but the largest size they do is 7-8 yrs and dd usually wears clothes in size 9-10 yrs . I went back to get one as I thought she could sqeeze into it for the 2 20 minute performances, but of course they have all gone now, only angels left. Has anyone seen any shepherds outfits in larger sizes?? This would save me going everywhere as I have a poorly 2 year old aswell! many thanks for any help advance!

angel,dust
5th December 2007, 15:51
I need some help here, dd7 is a shepherd on Monday and I have no cotsume, the letter came home from school and they said to send in dressing gown, tea towel etc which i did. But dd came home from school yesturday saying that she was the only shepherd without a proper costume and that shepherds do not wear dressing gowns!

I did look at the costume in mr ts last week but the largest size they do is 7-8 yrs and dd usually wears clothes in size 9-10 yrs . I went back to get one as I thought she could sqeeze into it for the 2 20 minute performances, but of course they have all gone now, only angels left. Has anyone seen any shepherds outfits in larger sizes?? This would save me going everywhere as I have a poorly 2 year old aswell! many thanks for any help advance!

will keep my eyes peeled. have you tried phoning a few Mr T's to see if any have some in stock you might get lucky

Deedee
5th December 2007, 15:54
phone the school, ask them what they want? I dont beliebe the cheek of it! Mind you saying that, It wont be long before Schools aren't allowed to put on nativities!

angel,dust
5th December 2007, 15:58
phone the school, ask them what they want? I dont beliebe the cheek of it! Mind you saying that, It wont be long before Schools aren't allowed to put on nativities!

don't get me started deedee:nono:

tikal73
5th December 2007, 17:05
There were discounted shepherds outfits in Mothercare yesterday. But I would be tempted with pillowcase and tea towel for head!!

borderlakeland
5th December 2007, 17:07
woolies had some i noticed the other day and their dressing up clothes go upto larger sizes.i agree that it's bang out of order being expected to provide that sort of costume.
tea towels and dressing gowns are as traditional as tinsel halos for the angels

Gizmos
5th December 2007, 17:07
how times change - when I was a lass ....... we used to make our own costumes at school - was all part of the event

flookie
5th December 2007, 17:21
Did you see the ridiculous article in the paper the other day saying that some schools have stopped the children wearing wings as part of the angel outfit as they are worried that when the children are carrying their candles they might set the fur from the wings on fire!!! Have you ever heard anything so stupid! What idiot is giving kids of that age lit candles? Why not get the battery lit candles and let them keep their wings,i mean whats an angel without her wings!!!

Deedee
5th December 2007, 17:37
LOL we had tinsel stuck to white candles, to make them look like they were burning!

Again, wont be long before the PC brigade ban dressing up as angels, because not every faith believe in them!

Sorry Angel, but I know how you feel about the PC brigade! and I'm the same

gobbyash
5th December 2007, 17:48
We've got an order for an Aussie hat from Party Delights.

They're are also on quidco

http://www.partydelights.co.uk/search_step2.asp?textfield=shepherd

Regards

gobbyash

tiger
5th December 2007, 17:54
Have you a sewing machine Sarah? That picture that Gobby has posted looks very simple to make.

When my sons were young, the shepherds costumes were usually made out of old sheets, either white or striped.

angelbee
5th December 2007, 20:54
I agree you shouldn't feel pressurised into buying an outfit.

I have just spent two hours making my lo an angel outfit, and honestly I'm not very handy with a neeedle and thread!

But I have to say I feel quite proud that ds will be wearing something I've made rather than buying an outfit.

So hold your head up high and get sewing.:D

Rainbowguider
5th December 2007, 22:17
Hope this works

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000WH19C4/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&mcb=core

caitlinsmummy
5th December 2007, 22:22
They are really good shepherds outfits (I work in Mothercare lol) but don't think they go big enough for what you are looking for!! Must admit when all the nativity clothes came in a few weeks ago we were all saying what's wrong with home made outfits?! What about the poor kids whose parents can't afford ?13 a pop for an outfit that will get worn once?! Hope you sort something out hun xxx

Sunshinecoast
6th December 2007, 08:51
Thanks so much for your tips, i will try and get to woolies today as the mothercare one will not be big enough. I'm just annoyed that the school asked for dressing gowns and everyone else has sent in proper costumes, this is where dd feels left out that she doen't have one. We are lucky that we can afford to buy one, but its the fact that it will be worn for all of about 1 hr in total, so I feel it is a waste of money. Absolutely awful at sewing so thats not an option. Thankyou again sunshinecoast

Grace & Favour
6th December 2007, 09:23
how times change - when I was a lass ....... we used to make our own costumes at school - was all part of the event

Did they 'do' 'sewing' then? Giz:o

holliemon
6th December 2007, 14:54
Have you looked in Matalan - they have started selling party items balloons etc and I noticed they had some fancy dress outfits in - but cant remember what.

Hope you get it sorted

Khufu
6th December 2007, 15:05
DD2 is an angel again this year - 3rd year running. So we all bought same Tesco outfit 3 years ago and when year 2 leave they gave theirs to year 1, we gave ours to reception and they gave theirs to new reception so we have the costumes. This year school decides though they're all angels they can't ask parents to buy the costumes and instead tell us to make one - when exactly! I already have the costume I bought, every angel in the play has one donated or purchased but we can't use htem! Very tempted to send her in devil outfit to the Cof E school!