PDA

View Full Version : Festive warning

jenni
10th December 2007, 14:50
Hi all,
Just to warn people to be very careful this Christmas with home security. We had a very near miss this morning at 5am when I popped downstairs to get the baby a bottle. Didn't bother to turn any lights on in the kitchen but looked out the window to see a man walking past in our (enclosed) garden.
I banged on the window and he legged it but when the police arrived (complete with sniffer dogs) the constable said he was probably 'shopping' for Christmas presents.
So draw your curtains at night and don't leave presents under the tree, or your keys next to the front door.
Am off to book visit from crime prevention officer!
Jenni

Grace & Favour
10th December 2007, 14:52
Hi all,
Just to warn people to be very careful this Christmas with home security. We had a very near miss this morning at 5am when I popped downstairs to get the baby a bottle. Didn't bother to turn any lights on in the kitchen but looked out the window to see a man walking past in our (enclosed) garden.
I banged on the window and he legged it but when the police arrived (complete with sniffer dogs) the constable said he was probably 'shopping' for Christmas presents.
So draw your curtains at night and don't leave presents under the tree, or your keys next to the front door.
Am off to book visit from crime prevention officer!
Jenni

Lucky escape Jenni . . . . . and don't steal the CPO - we'll need him after you!!

NitWit
10th December 2007, 15:18
Glad your okay and thanks for the reminder :)

jenni
10th December 2007, 15:30
Despite being scared witless I did have to laugh. I shouted for my husband, who jumped out of bed and nearly broke his leg, then I managed to fuse the lights and tripped the downstairs circuit. I couldn't use the phone because the electric was off so had to phone the police from my mobile (and could I find it in the dark?) then got upstairs to find the baby had gone back to sleep! Husband had to find a torch (in the dark) to reset the fuse board in the garage - lucky he's a sparky!
Bet prospective burglar heard all that and decided never to return (I hope!)

tiger
10th December 2007, 17:20
I've had a few phone calls recently with nobody speaking. When I've dialled 1471 it's been caller withheld their number. I've wondered if it was someone trying to find out if anyone was home because it's usually been late afternoon, as it's starting to get dark and no car on the drive.

Unintended Muse
10th December 2007, 17:28
I've had a few phone calls recently with nobody speaking. When I've dialled 1471 it's been caller withheld their number. I've wondered if it was someone trying to find out if anyone was home because it's usually been late afternoon, as it's starting to get dark and no car on the drive.

I think these calls are sometimes automated sales systems. They check to see when the phone is likely to be answered, ready for a real person to call back apparently.

I get lots of the from Avon and they are REALLY annoying. :mad:

Supposedly pressing a number on your phone, instead of speaking, confuses their sytem.. :D

tiger
10th December 2007, 17:32
You are probably right, Unintended Muse. We are on TPS but still sometimes get sales calls.

Glad you were OK jennifryer and I agree it's worth increasing your security.

Maldives
10th December 2007, 17:49
Glad you are ok Jennifryer......

My Mum & Dad have a really bad habit of leaving the windows open in my house, no matter how many times I ask them not to.... they are back off holiday this evening, I think a timely reminder is due....

Polo
10th December 2007, 18:27
Oh thats awful! Glad you were safe in the end, thanks for the warning... will latch up more securely in future...

ploverpalace
10th December 2007, 18:47
Glad everything was ok. My DH's auntie and her neighbour were burgled last week. Luckily they were insured and hadn't made too much of a mess really. Its more the fact of having someone in your home looking at your stuff :(

mummyglass
10th December 2007, 21:33
I was burgled the week before christmas a few years ago. They watched us go off to work/school and spent best part of the day in the house. Came home to wrapping paper everywhere and no presents except a pair of roller skates. They had drunk the christmas bubbly and spay painted the lounge with silver and gold paint! I was lucky my family helped us replace the children's gifts. It really woke me up about security though.

princessa
10th December 2007, 21:46
Ooh our back window where our tree is has no curtains, but fortunately I got some today so will stick them up as soon as I get a curtain pole, lol.

angelbee
10th December 2007, 21:54
OMG, how awful!

It's a good job you came downstairs when you did.

Very scary have a hug :hug:

bluetimone97
10th December 2007, 22:07
We have a lab and a HUGE Rottweiler cross St Bernard pup who is 10 months old, he is very territorial and his bark is really deep and people who know us think he is scary let alone people who don't.

Just don't tell anyone he is a wimp who runs away from cats and we will be fine!