PDA

View Full Version : Virgin - Can someone PM me

gobbyash
11th December 2007, 10:21
Hi

Am close to booking our holiday and would appreciate it if someone can give me a name and extension number of the person that let them book the whole package including taxes with Clubcard Deals.

A PM would be best so that we don't put any personal details on the message board.

Also, has anyone had experience of living 'up North' ie Lancashire/Yorkshire and flying out of Gatwick? Is it a nightmare journey? Is it worse travelling back once you've landed?

Cheers

gobbyash :)

wallsendmag
11th December 2007, 10:27
Its always a long trip back to Newcastle on the train for us but we tend to travel first class which makes it easier :D and the prices are soooo cheap :D

phonejacker
11th December 2007, 10:27
Hi

Am close to booking our holiday and would appreciate it if someone can give me a name and extension number of the person that let them book the whole package including taxes with Clubcard Deals.

A PM would be best so that we don't put any personal details on the message board.

Also, has anyone had experience of living 'up North' ie Lancashire/Yorkshire and flying out of Gatwick? Is it a nightmare journey? Is it worse travelling back once you've landed?

Cheers

It means using the M6 > M42 > M40 > M25 > M23. I would only do this now, if I had arranged to drive it overnight, unless I had no other option. We always book Manchester flights now.

Beej
11th December 2007, 10:33
Its always a long trip back to Newcastle on the train for us but we tend to travel first class which makes it easier :D and the prices are soooo cheap :D

How do you get cheap first class travel please. Do you have to book far in advance, if so how far in advance.

simker
11th December 2007, 10:43
We came back from Gatwick to Birmingham.........

Never again.

wallsendmag
11th December 2007, 11:15
How do you get cheap first class travel please. Do you have to book far in advance, if so how far in advance.

Personally I work for the railway (so cheap means free):D but we have a wide range of fairly cheap first class tickets if you book far enough in advance. Advance bookings are usually open up to 3 months in advance.

Beej
11th December 2007, 11:53
Thanks for the reply Wallsendmag. I suppose if someone is flying from Gatwick they will know a long way in advance what dates they need a train for.

tiger
11th December 2007, 12:00
We flew down which was fine on the journey down, but coming back, our plane was delayed and we missed the flight back up here. As it was a bank holiday we had to wait around until the evening for a flight back when all we really wanted to do was get home and rest.

Nana
11th December 2007, 12:38
Using public transport can be dodgy because planes are often late and you might miss your connection coming back.
Last year we flew out of Gatwick on Boxing Day - morning flight - so we drove down on Xmas day (no traffic) and spent the night at Gatwick Travelodge. On our return we booked a ?15 Travelodge near Oxford to break the journey on the way home.

DebbieE
11th December 2007, 13:27
If I were you I'd stay overnight in a hotel before & after. It's such a long way & I wouldn't want to rely on public transport or if u are driving getting held up in traffic/accidents etc.

If u want to do that & not use deals for a hotel we've stayed at the Millenium Copthorne Effingham Park hotel which is really nice & get to park for free & they can arrange your transfer to the airport - 5 mins away

rainbow
11th December 2007, 13:42
We'll be flying to Gatwick and staying in the Travelodge at ?29 per room before setting off in the morning. Easy (I hope!)

squitty
11th December 2007, 14:00
We drove from NCL to LGW and back again, 5 1/2 hours it took. Going down is ok but returning, never again!
Both of us drive so we switch.
Now we always fly from Manchester if we are flying with VA.

gobbyash
11th December 2007, 16:13
The hotel we fancy offers two free child places on all inclusive but only flys out of Gatwick.

bigbill
11th December 2007, 17:27
We went to St Lucia with Virgin this year flying from Gatwick.

It took one hour from Edinburgh to Gatwick flying down the night before.

The twilight check in took all our luggage including golf clubs when we arrived and off to a luxury hotel for the night.

The return was just as easy a four hour wait in Gatwick before we flew back to Edinburgh, the flight were only about ?40 each return and saved loads of hassle with cars ect.

Try here for cheap flights on your travel dates.

http://www.skyscanner.net/

GoatBoy
12th December 2007, 07:37
Hi

Cheers

Flown out of London a couple of times for holidays & live in Manchester.

Not bad going out - it seems to be part of the holiday somehow - but coming home was dreadful. Bad enough having to come home after a holiday but the journey back up from London was miserable.

Well worth any supplement to fly from Manchester IMHO

Waterfall
12th December 2007, 07:49
The hotel we fancy offers two free child places on all inclusive but only flys out of Gatwick.
Where are you going Gobby :Holiday:

angelic
12th December 2007, 08:44
I have driven from NW to just south of Gatwick area numerous times and would not recommend trying it unless you plan to overnight near the airport.

It is just not worth the risk of jams etc and they don't call the M25 the road to hell for nothing....you can almost guarantee getting held up unless you go in the middle of the night.

A friend of mine missed her flight due to traffic hold ups and she was just going from near Gatwick to Heathrow - one hour journey took over 3.5 hours!!

gobbyash
15th December 2007, 10:53
Where are you going Gobby :Holiday:

Not confirmed yet but Mrs gobbyash wants to go here:

http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/brochures/caribbean/holidays/caribbean/jamaica/rose_hall_resort_and_country_club/

I fancy Antigua, as we can fly from Manchester and Australia are playing the West Indies in a Test Match at the same time - between 23 May to 7 June.

regards

gobby

PS Getting train info for these date is proving a nightmare as they can only give you infor upto either 8 or 12 weeks in advance.

Going down on a Friday:
Hull 17:00 to Leeds 17:59, Leeds 18:10 to Reading 21:39, Reading 22:34 to Gatwick 00:11

Coming back on a Sunday:
Gatwick 09:07 to Reading 10:35, Reading 11:10 to Sheffield 14:58, Sheffield 15:28 to Hull 16:50

sammybear
15th December 2007, 11:19
Just come back from Egypt as we were flying BA had to fly from Gatwick, flew on the 40 min flight from manchester to Gatwick on the way out, highly recommend this Gobby.

On the way back we stayed at Hilton hotel at Gatwick (travelodge or premier cheaper though) and got the 8.30 flight back the next day-lgw to man, got a good nights sleep and helped break the journey up.

:)

wallsendmag
15th December 2007, 12:53
Not confirmed yet but Mrs gobbyash wants to go here:

http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/brochures/caribbean/holidays/caribbean/jamaica/rose_hall_resort_and_country_club/

I fancy Antigua, as we can fly from Manchester and Australia are playing the West Indies in a Test Match at the same time - between 23 May to 7 June.

regards

gobby

PS Getting train info for these date is proving a nightmare as they can only give you infor upto either 8 or 12 weeks in advance.

Going down on a Friday:
Hull 17:00 to Leeds 17:59, Leeds 18:10 to Reading 21:39, Reading 22:34 to Gatwick 00:11

Coming back on a Sunday:
Gatwick 09:07 to Reading 10:35, Reading 11:10 to Sheffield 14:58, Sheffield 15:28 to Hull 16:50

Leeds isn' a great route to the south from Hull better off going straight into Kings X then walk accross the road to St Pancras to get the FCC train straight to Gatwick much easier and 10% off at www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com :D Next question please ;)

gobbyash
15th December 2007, 14:24
Well, thanks everyone for replying but things have changed quite quickly this morning as I went onto the Virgin site and The Suite at Jolly Beach, Antigua are showing as available - they previously weren't and are not even in the brochure.

http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/brochures/caribbean/holidays/caribbean/antigua/the_suites_at_jolly_beach/

The benefit of this is that there is a direct flight from Manchester with BMI, we have stayed at the Jolly Beach Resort twice before, so we know the area/staff well and Australia v West Indies Test Match is being played in Antigua while we are there and there is a 50% chance that the players will be staying at our hotel.

Spoke to a lovely lady at Virgin who has priced it up and said I could pay in full with Clubcard Deals and is ringing me back next Saturday, giving me the chance to order the deals today and arrive in time.

regards

Gizmos
15th December 2007, 14:50
has she put the holiday on hold for you?? result though and the journey is just straight along the M62 so couldnt be much easier

M3chanical_animal
15th December 2007, 16:28
Place looks lovely gobby - now you've just got to wait to get your vouchers - bet you cant wait to get it all sorted! :)

Becles
15th December 2007, 22:24
Beware of booking travel connections that are not changeable.

We booked a holiday to Mexico with First Choice flying from Gatwick, and then booked flights from Newcastle to Gatwick through BA.

The return flight was due to land at Gatwick mid afternoon, so we booked the evening flight back to Newcastle.

Some months later First Choice changed the flight home, and it was then scheduled to land mid morning instead. We contacted BA who said they couldn't change the flights, but if we turned up at the check in desk early, they would put us on the next flight home. First Choice refused to help and said it was nothing to do with them.

On the actual day, the plane made up a lot of time flying home, so we landed first thing in the morning. Went to the BA check in desk who said tough! They refused to change us onto any of the earlier departing flights, so we had to spend 10 hours wandering around Gatwick :shocked: Just what you need when everyone is tired from an overnight flight, and we had two children who were bored stupid.

M3chanical_animal
16th December 2007, 11:05
That sounds like a very harsh time Becles! :eek:

Gizmos
16th December 2007, 11:09
thing is if the operators change peope who turn up early etc then its a mockery of the pricing structures. The early evening domstic flights out of LHR are popular with the business commuters, they will not let you change onto one of these crowded flights unless you have fully flexi fares as the business travellers themesevles will just book for a later flight nd try it on

gobbyash
16th December 2007, 11:28
Place looks lovely gobby - now you've just got to wait to get your vouchers - bet you cant wait to get it all sorted! :)

Vouchers ordered - ?950 in Vouchers = ?3,800 in Deals

They have a 1 bedroomed suite - which is what Mrsgobbyash thinks I'm booking but I have ordered enough vouchers for the 2 bedroomed suite with jacuzzi. http://www.jollybeachvacations.com/rooms/two_bedroom_deluxe.htm

I don't know if I can keep a secret like that for 6 months.

Found this link http://www.jollybeachvacations.com/

gobby :D

suziq
16th December 2007, 11:42
i've flown manc to gatwick then out, no problems, except when u get off the night flight and are catching the commuter flight up and ure a bit smelly and giddy. guess works best if u fly with same operator as u can check luggage straight thru, doesnt help tho cos i dont think virgin do those flights

suziq
16th December 2007, 11:43
that looks fantastic gobby!

M3chanical_animal
16th December 2007, 11:56
Thats a lovely surprise gobby :D

Did you order all your deals on one order?

gobbyash
16th December 2007, 11:57
Thats a lovely surprise gobby :D

Did you order all your deals on one order?

Yes, I did M3, m8 ;)

gobby

M3chanical_animal
16th December 2007, 12:05
conkers of steel there gobby ;)

You seriously going to be in the wife's good books when you get out there ans she realises the room you have booked :)

Flo
16th December 2007, 21:41
Vouchers ordered - ?950 in Vouchers = ?3,800 in Deals

They have a 1 bedroomed suite - which is what Mrsgobbyash thinks I'm booking but I have ordered enough vouchers for the 2 bedroomed suite with jacuzzi. http://www.jollybeachvacations.com/rooms/two_bedroom_deluxe.htm

I don't know if I can keep a secret like that for 6 months.

Found this link http://www.jollybeachvacations.com/

gobby :D

Looks stunning, did you say you had stayed here before?

heatherbelle
17th December 2007, 23:50
I stayed at the jolly beach about 10 years ago, before the re-vamp. It was fantastic. We were lucky enough to stay in one of the little town houses away from the main hotel.

One night, we had all the yatchs staying outside our house, as it was sailing week. What a fab holiday that was!

have a great time.

gobbyash
20th December 2007, 17:30
Looks stunning, did you say you had stayed here before?

Have stayed at the Jolly Beach Resort twice before but not the suites - they do look special.

I have another headache.

I've priced it up in a 2 bedroomed suite only including flights and have got the following results:

2 adults, 2 children ?3528
3 adults, 2 children ?3702
4 adults, 2 children ?4240

So for not a lot extra I could pay for my dad or the in-laws to stay with us.

The problem is I've told them both and they all want to come but it has to be one or the other - not both.

Also, can I pay for in-laws using Clubcard Vouchers if their surname is different but they are staying in same apartment??

Thanks in advance.

gobbyash

Melcatfish
22nd December 2007, 00:02
Have stayed at the Jolly Beach Resort twice before but not the suites - they do look special.

I have another headache.

I've priced it up in a 2 bedroomed suite only including flights and have got the following results:

2 adults, 2 children ?3528
3 adults, 2 children ?3702
4 adults, 2 children ?4240

So for not a lot extra I could pay for my dad or the in-laws to stay with us.

The problem is I've told them both and they all want to come but it has to be one or the other - not both.

Also, can I pay for in-laws using Clubcard Vouchers if their surname is different but they are staying in same apartment??

Thanks in advance.

gobbyash

So long as you are all on the same booking and the person whose name is on the vouchers (i.e. you) is travelling I am fairly sure you can pay for the whole lot with your deals.

Sounds like a fab holiday!

Mel
x

gobbyash
22nd December 2007, 13:40
All booked and have put the jacuzzi on request. They'll let me know next week.

Four adults, 2 kids paid for by Mr Tesco.

gobby

gobbyash
20th January 2008, 11:27
Virgin have confirmed the 2 bedroomed suite with Jacuzzi and we are taking the in-laws with us.

For every positive there's bound to be a negative :rolleyes: (only joking)

gobby

tiger
20th January 2008, 11:34
Glad you got the suite you wanted, gobby.
Good idea taking along some babysitters. :D

Flo
20th January 2008, 11:38
Virgin have confirmed the 2 bedroomed suite with Jacuzzi and we are taking the in-laws with us.

For every positive there's bound to be a negative :rolleyes: (only joking)

gobby

Wonderful :clap2: I am seriously considering a holiday away from Disney after the next one so I would appreciate a full report on your return. Have a wonderful holiday.

gobbyash
5th February 2008, 14:47
Was just browsing away, as you do and have come across an AI holiday in Barbados from Manchester for a fortnight in October/November for a family of four for ?3,248 which is ?812 in Clubcard Deals.

I certainly didn't think I would be looking at a second Caribbean holiday this year but it is now within my grasp......

If you book it without Clubcard Deals, it is ?3,095.80 and you can get 3% via quidco.

gobbyash

Hummer
5th February 2008, 16:14
Why we gotta pm you?

gobbyash
5th February 2008, 18:46
Sorry for being so 'Cloak and Dagger'

This particular hotel mentions nothing about free child places but there appears to be no surcharge for kids and so I am assuming that it is a programming error and I am hoping that it is still there in 4 weeks time.

Description.........................Price(?)...Qty ...Total..(?)
Adult price.........................1143.00......2...... 2286.00
Child price...........................323.00......1..... ...323.00
2nd child price.....................323.00......1.........32 3.00
Superior room supplement......112.00......1.........112.00
Fuel apd & Resort tax............156.00......2.........312.00
Fuel apd & Resort tax............156.00......2.........312.00
Discount.............................-55.00......2........-110.00
Discount.............................-55.00......2........-110.00
Brochure discounts..............-100.00......2........-200.00

Holiday price:............................................ ..?3248.00

Regards

gobbyash