PDA

View Full Version : Help finding priviate tuition for DD

angel,dust
13th December 2007, 12:40
there was a thread around here somewhere a little while ago with discussion about this and now I cant find it.

anyone know of good but not to expensive tuition for an 8 year old?

im so sick of nagging the school for homework etc and she just does not seem to be progressing in her school as she should. to be honest Im getting quite concerned about her future, I know she is young but the standard in the school generally is low. have been trying very hard to get her into a better school for about a year now but they are not at all interested as it is a religious school and we do not regularly attend church (even though under new rules they are meant to take a certain amount they haven't).
I do what I can at home but alot of my methods seem to conflict with teachers so this is making things harder for DD.
I just feel like im :frusty::frusty::frusty: with these people and think it is time to sacrifice the money. we honestly cant afford this but I feel it has to be done for DD sake no matter what the cost in terms of cutting back to pay for it.

all help greatly appreciated

tiger
13th December 2007, 13:01
Can you find out from school which workbooks they use? Maybe they can suggest some which you can use at home that complement their system.

SuzyWoo
13th December 2007, 13:18
I pay for DS to attend Kip McGrath. They teach in small groups, but seem very good to me. Also, it is outside of the home environment which helps.

SuzyWoo
13th December 2007, 13:18
Forgot the link! http://www.kipmcgrath.co.uk/

angel,dust
13th December 2007, 13:20
I pay for DS to attend Kip McGrath. They teach in small groups, but seem very good to me. Also, it is outside of the home environment which helps.

Forgot the link! http://www.kipmcgrath.co.uk/

thanks will go have a peak:)

edit: just phoned them and spoke to a lovely lady who has booked us in for a free assessment in january and is sending me some info. we discussed a few points and she agreed the school isnt doing enough and what they are doing seems "chaotic" ie teaching division when the kids are still struggling with times tables etc.
they are only few mins drive away as well so that is a bonus and the prices are not quite as daunting as I thought they would be.
will see how it goes at assessment

LoveABargain
13th December 2007, 13:58
Great link SuzyWoo

There's quite a lot of workbooks available WH SMiths, book shops even Tesco's -lol - where you can buy the correct "age/stage" book - I wouldn't worry about doing things different from the school if say you want to focus on English & reading then the more different styles of reading they experience the better, same with maths - anything you do at home will help.

mummytotwo
13th December 2007, 14:07
Suzywoo ho do you find out where the kipmcrath teachers are situated. Can find it for looking!!

shopsomemore
13th December 2007, 14:27
I think was it the kumon one??

SuzyWoo
13th December 2007, 15:37
Suzywoo ho do you find out where the kipmcrath teachers are situated. Can find it for looking!!

It's under nearest centre, here's the link http://www.kipmcgrath.co.uk/england_index.htm (assuming you're based in England!) I found they weren't as 'in your face' as some of the others I approached and I really like the fact it's at their premises. It all depends on how you feel about the tutor I suppose though. I think I struck lucky!

mummytotwo
11th January 2008, 12:44
have to say have been walking round my local shops and realised here has one here :lol: my niece has a free assessment tomorrow-although I think that I will tell it is a computer quiz. If I tell here it is an assessment she will freeze and get upset.

SuzyWoo
11th January 2008, 13:37
have to say have been walking round my local shops and realised here has one here :lol: my niece has a free assessment tomorrow-although I think that I will tell it is a computer quiz. If I tell here it is an assessment she will freeze and get upset.

That's how I found mine! Walked past it loads without realising!

Fast_Ian
11th January 2008, 13:54
Good luck with the Kip McGrath assessment, if it doesn't suit for any reason and you are near a Sainsburys then they might have a branch of Explore Learning on the premises. If so, you could give them a try.

My DD is doing very well with Explore and loves going there, which is half the battle!

http://www.explorelearning.ltd.uk