PDA

View Full Version : Am i being petty

la60
13th December 2007, 14:03
I have building going on next door - they have knocked down a 4 bed detached house and are replacing with 8x3 bed houses!! After a long drawn out battle with the council they got planning are are happily building away(they originally applied for permission for 14 flats:eek:). The site supervisor is a right d*ck and ive had loads of run ins with him over the last year

Anyway i have just come home and they have put up a scaffolding - All ok bar they have 2 poles coming in over my 6 foot wall by about 2 foot. Now this doesnt bother me in the slightest, doesnt get in my way etc But just to annoy him i want to complain and ask him to remove these poles so they dont encroach my garden space

Is this being really petty?? Bear in mind he is the biggest tw*t going, has spent the last year laughing in mine & neighbours faces and just being damn right patronising - What do you guys think?

LA

flookie
13th December 2007, 14:04
The trouble is if you complain then he could make life even worse for you until they finish.

sullieb
13th December 2007, 14:07
The trouble is if you complain then he could make life even worse for you until they finish.

I agree, I think if it really isn't causing you any trouble then let it go, builders can be right little monkeys if they want to be!

DebbieE
13th December 2007, 14:12
Get even - stick a pole where he don't like it! ;)

shoppaholic45
13th December 2007, 14:15
Get even - stick a pole where he don't like it! ;)
haha :D i would just leave it, where are they fitting all these houses

flookie
13th December 2007, 14:17
It does sound like its going to get a bit crowded in your vacinity hun,thats a lot of houses to be building in one place.

la60
13th December 2007, 14:25
TBH there is nothing they can do worse to me, already have constant noise between 8-5, constant flow of dirt, dust & banging etc - luckily we have the 6-8 foot wall(which is being kept) between us my only saviour.

Debs i did think about getting my stepdad up over the w/e to remove the pole(he is a scaffolder by trade) Would love to see the look on their faces on monday morning when they seen their scaffolding over the floor :D:D Now that would be soo funny

LA

Dominic
13th December 2007, 14:35
As a bit of an antagonist myself I would think about it..... are you going to get into a stressful argument or is it genuinely going to give you pleasure reporting this?

If the former, let it go. If the latter, then, in the circumstances, go for it.

la60
13th December 2007, 14:41
The house that was, wasnt that big - but had a huge garden - But not quite big enough for 8 houses, its going to be a real squish. And from my new roof top garden i will stare into red brick walls - instead of views across the Tamar river into Cornwall which i see at the moment :mad:

This is a pic of my house taken in spring - The big evergreens are now gone and thats where the scaffolding poles are coming over - there is going to be 3 houses there and right at the back aligned with my house there will be 3 more - So will now have 6 houses overlooking my garden!! But am one stage from my complaint reaching the council ombudsman about that - but thats another story

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/la60/DSC00712.jpg

Maldives
13th December 2007, 14:42
Personally I would complain, but I like to be a pain..lol.. builders think they can get away with blue murder.

But for your own sanity L60, please don't stress yourself... :hug:

Dominic
13th December 2007, 14:43
I feel for you, it is so wrong this can happen but sadly the overriding desire to provide more housing seems to trample over 'little' things like views.

Don't know what else to say except that is crap

kay122
13th December 2007, 14:44
Sorry to hear of your problems But if they are makeing a mess you can ask for a window cleaner to come and clean your windows for free phone the council up My mil had the same probs when they had a housing esate bult next to them And they got the road sweeper to come and clean the roads for the sluge
sorry i carnt help any more but dont put up with the crap
Kay122

points reaper
13th December 2007, 16:34
if the scaffold encroaches on to your property they should have asked permission for health & safety reasons by law and if you object they have to go through the courts at there expense to explian if it is neccesery to encroach on your property if it is neccesery than they have to apply for a permit to encroach on your property and abide to a list of health & safety regs

mummyglass
13th December 2007, 16:41
I would complain. This is your property and they have trespassed onto it in order to erect their poles. Now if they had asked permission thay would be different.

dune
13th December 2007, 16:48
if it was me and i'd had run ins with someone who just did whatever they liked then i'd complaint too.. and it will cost them to get the scaffolders back to move them or put shorter polls in

You own your land from the centre of the earth to the sky when you buy land so its defenitely on your property (got that bit from a council planning department)

Dominic
13th December 2007, 17:13
I would complain. This is your property and they have trespassed onto it in order to erect their poles. Now if they had asked permission thay would be different.

........ no I'm not going to do the obvious gag :eek:

dune
13th December 2007, 17:19
........ no I'm not going to do the obvious gag :eek:

how did she know they were poles and not english builder? :p

Dominic
13th December 2007, 17:21
how did she know they were poles and not english builder? :p

I was thinking more smuttily :D

Rexybaby
13th December 2007, 17:23
If its a decent sized company don`t bother complaining to the local site manager - go straight to the boss at the office (contracts manager is the usual job title), in writing, pointing out they are illegally encroaching on your land & your not prepared to put up with it.

They`ll soon shift the offending poles (costs them additional monies to get scaffolders back) DO NOT get someone you know to move them, you`ll get yourself in all sorts of trouble RE H&S.

This way you don`t get the hassle of confrontation with the site manager, and in all probability the site manager will get an earole bending from his manager to boot.

PS im a building site manager !!!!!

Rex

la60
13th December 2007, 20:18
Its a small company and after previous run ins i have the mobile number of the owner/developer (they were switching on all the machinery at 7.15am when planning stipulates they cant start until 8am) - he said to contact him directly if any other issues and he would sort.

The owner is actually quite a nice guy - and my arguement now is with the council about them giving permission - so dont really want to bother him with it iykwim - I just want to annoy the hell out of the foreman :tongue1:

I think i will pull him when he arrives on site in the morning - give him a great start to his friday;)

cheers

LA

la60
13th December 2007, 20:24
Would the scaffolding company have any responsibility? They are quite a big concern - National i believe (Deborah Services) Would it be worth contacting them?

LA

clockwatcher
13th December 2007, 21:21
Would the scaffolding company have any responsibility? They are quite a big concern - National i believe (Deborah Services) Would it be worth contacting them?

LA

If they're a major company, they certainly ought to know the rules about encroaching on other people's property, so that could be a worthwhile move - I'd say it was worth a phone call to them at least.