PDA

View Full Version : Let down badly by Allied Carpets

moonriver
23rd December 2007, 17:29
My kitchen is rather old and worn out. I can't afford to replace it (shame MFI left when they did) but in September I had someone to fit new work surfaces and a sink, new tiles and I have had it painted. I have also had new units in the utility room as the old ones came with the house and were 40 years old. The kitchen looks really good now- I am hoping to have the wooden drawers French polished in the new year. I went to Allied carptes in November and ordered a price of vinalay- cost 705 with fitting (the kitchen and utility room are a big area). They assured me that it would be fitted in time for Christmas. They were due to fit it last Thursday. The night before we unplugged (had to cut off the plugs as they are fitted through the work surfaces) the dishwasher. washing machine, 2 fridge freezers and tumble dryer and moved them in to the back yard. Also tore up the present vinalay to reveal a horrible concrete floor. They said they would come anytime after 12.30 on the Thursday. I got up at 5.30 to be in work by 7.00 so that I could finish at 12.00 (I also had to use up all the toil time I had built up for Christmas). Waited all day and they didn't turn up. I rang the store several times and they assured me that they would arrive- just be patient. Needless to say they didn't come. I rang the store the next day and the attitude was- don't know why they didn't come. We are as cross as you are sorry won't be fitted till after Christmas now we just can't geta fitter to do it. I tried to keep calm, explained all the disruption that we had had sorting the place out but the manger just said sorry nothing we can do. I explained that I had had my kitchen done for chrismas and that I had 4 visitors coming and now we have a concrete floor- what are you going to offer me to compensate. He said that he would knock off the fitting cost 120.00. I said that the only way I'm going to feel better about it is they reimburse me the whole lot. He said OK then I'll give you your money back. I said and fit the vinalay but he said that was totally unreasonable. What do you think? Am I being unreasonable? He is only willing to knock off the 120 which is something but I was so looking forward to getting everything sorted for Christmas and the kitchen loolks awful now. Any suggestions?

Gizmos
23rd December 2007, 17:31
personally I think you would be lucky to get the full amount refunded and get the item fitted and keep it - 120 knocked off is a chunk but why not see if you can get someone local to fit and then get the 120 refunded and them to pay for someone else to do it - you may be lucky that a local takes pity and can to it tomorrow

moonriver
23rd December 2007, 17:34
personally I think you would be lucky to get the full amount refunded and get the item fitted and keep it - 120 knocked off is a chunk but why not see if you can get someone local to fit and then get the 120 refunded and them to pay for someone else to do it - you may be lucky that a local takes pity and can to it tomorrow
I don't know anyone who can do it apparantly Allied said that everyone wants fittings done for Christmas. I think all shops are going to be too busy doing their own fittings nevermind about anybody elses. The are all saying that they want time with their families. Don't blame them but I think Allied must have known that it would be touch and go for Christmas and they still took the order anyway

Maverick
23rd December 2007, 17:40
Sorry to hear that.
Have you got a rug you can put down for the meantime? Or buy a cheap rush matt to make it look a litttle more presentable.
I have also had smilar problems with them, but not got as good response as yourself.
To be honest I think free fitting is more than reasonable, and would be chuffed to have that knocked off the bill, worth putting up with concrete for a week for.

princessa
23rd December 2007, 17:43
Not sure I understand, you want the whole floor and fitting for free, or just the fitting?

Dominic
23rd December 2007, 17:44
Think you would be entitled to cancel and have a refund if fitting was agreed by a certain time, but compensation is an iffy one to be honest. Expecting it all free, despite your disappointment and anger (which I understand) is not what would be deemed 'reasonable' IMHO.

moonriver
23rd December 2007, 17:48
Not sure I understand, you want the whole floor and fitting for free, or just the fitting?

all of it- so do you all think I'm being unreasonable then?

Dominic
23rd December 2007, 17:49

Yes, I do.

la60
23rd December 2007, 17:51
What a bummer :( Have you checked your local paper - there maybe someone independant advertising in there - longshot that they will come out tomorrow but you never know

Shame your not closer my lodger(family - long story!) is a floor layer and is staying home tom just getting under my feet :mad: would have sent him over

LA

moonriver
23rd December 2007, 17:51
Yes, I do.
oh well I'll ring them tomorrow and see what I can negotiate. I'll let you know.

moonriver
23rd December 2007, 17:52
What a bummer :( Have you checked your local paper - there maybe someone independant advertising in there - longshot that they will come out tomorrow but you never know

Shame your not closer my lodger(family - long story!) is a floor layer and is staying home tom just getting under my feet :mad: would have sent him over

LA

I would have taken him off your hands for the day and I could have my floor fitted and you could have a days peace to get on with things.

Maverick
23rd December 2007, 17:53
Sorry Moonriver, I can totally understand how let down you feel, and how you wanted it done all in time for xmas, but if the manager was apologotic and polite and offered free fitting as compensation, I would think that was very reasonable.

To get it all free would be expecting too much, in m opinion.

Now is there anything that can be done to make it look a bit more cosy in the meantime?

Got any spare rugs?

princessa
23rd December 2007, 17:53

afraid I do, and would doubt you'd get it anyways. I know you're upset about it not being in for xmas but 120 off is a good discount.

PS Why did you cut the plugs, why didn't you just strip them so you could plug them in over the top of the counter? Have you got all your appliances back in for now?

Gizmos
23rd December 2007, 17:54
ask Allied to provide you with some rugs/runners until it's sorted - that way you have more of their goods to keep as a bargaining tool

afraid I dont think you'll get any more than that though 120 discount on amound paid already is good

chirpy007
23rd December 2007, 17:54
I would be livid to be honest but i think expecting it all as compo is too much. I think i personally would tell them where to shove it and ask for a refund, (politely of course) write to head office about their disgusting service (assuming i could get it elsewhere). Otherwise i would accept the 120 off and get it done ASAP and still contact HO to sound off.

Hope everything goes ok.

Jules_2005
23rd December 2007, 17:58
I know its bitterly disappointing but I think giving you 120 off is quite a good offer

rainbow
23rd December 2007, 17:59
I know its bitterly disappointing but I think giving you 120 off is quite a good offer

agreed........but if they'd already laid it and made a mess of it, now that would be different. I'd definatley expect more in that case.

moonriver
23rd December 2007, 18:04
afraid I do, and would doubt you'd get it anyways. I know you're upset about it not being in for xmas but 120 off is a good discount.

PS Why did you cut the plugs, why didn't you just strip them so you could plug them in over the top of the counter? Have you got all your appliances back in for now?
yes all the appliances are back in now - big job to put it back. I wish I had left the old stuff down now it was very old and ripped in parts but better than concrete floors. I know I'll have to accept it but so annoying. I'll let you know how I get on with the compensation.

lisa84
23rd December 2007, 19:43
Go for a free loan of a rug aswell. I had a problem a couple of years back with Argos not delivering me DDs bed so complained as no where to sleep, and they gave her a blow up bed and pump she had great fun!!!!! They didnt want it returned so I was more than happy as great for a spare just in case.
I think the free fitting is great, I would be pleased with that but, then again is must be upsetting if you do have guests coming....thats why you must sort out a rug.

moonriver
28th December 2007, 07:18
I rang the store yesterday morning as I had heard nothing from the manager even though he had siad I will check with the fitters and see if they can do Thursday after Christmas. When I rang he said they are on their way now. Poor OH had to get all the machines out on his own - I was back in work by now thank goodness. The kitchen was alo a bot messy after Christmas. They turned upo and fitted it but put a join between the kitchen and the utility room which I expressly asked at the time of ordering that they would fit it in one piece. I was told at the time that this could be done. Yesterday the manager said that it was impossible even though the last shop managed it. On a positive note I am really pleased with the flooring and it makes all the difference to the kitchen.
I asked the manager yesterday about the compensation. He said I can't offer you amymore than 150.00 I said how about 200 and he said that he would speak to his area manager and get back to me. I'll keep you posted