PDA

View Full Version : i want to take my sis to new york....

NEgirl
24th December 2007, 14:41
just for a weekend but not sure on the best way to do it?? Can i buy flights and accom with vouchers or do i need to go the airmiles route and do everything seperately? I havent got a clue where to start looking so if anyone has done something similar i would love some ideas :D

Angel
24th December 2007, 14:56
You could collect BA Miles to 'pay' for the flight (although this is probably only worthwhile if you intend on travelling First or Club class), although you would have to pay the taxes in cash, and paying for the hotel with Airmiles

or

you could book the flight and hotel with Virgin.

lizzie18
24th December 2007, 15:08
oh wish you was my sister !

NEgirl
24th December 2007, 15:42
thank you :D

Ive just had a look and flights for the beginning of may for the both of us total ?730 so i have enough this quarter to cover that :D

Does anyone know when the next quarter after this one ends and would i have enough time to convert for the hotel and fly on the 8th may??

Does anyone have any hotels to recommend where we can do as much as possible in 4 days - we want to do all the normal tourist stuff etc :)

Melcatfish
24th December 2007, 16:13
thank you :D

Ive just had a look and flights for the beginning of may for the both of us total ?730 so i have enough this quarter to cover that :D

Does anyone know when the next quarter after this one ends and would i have enough time to convert for the hotel and fly on the 8th may??

Does anyone have any hotels to recommend where we can do as much as possible in 4 days - we want to do all the normal tourist stuff etc :)

Hiya hun,

Where did you get the quote from? Just wondering if it was Virgin because they have the minimum 7 nights clause - hope that you found the quote via airmiles \ BA Miles.

What a lucky sister!

Mel
x

Raffles
24th December 2007, 16:44
just for a weekend but not sure on the best way to do it?? Can i buy flights and accom with vouchers or do i need to go the airmiles route and do everything seperately? I havent got a clue where to start looking so if anyone has done something similar i would love some ideas :D

Unless Virgin have packages, neither Air Miles nor BA Miles offer good value. Flights to NYC are so cheap most of the year that the huge number of miles required generally makes them poor value.

The key with NYC is hotels. If there is a big conference in town, rates can easily double. Check hotel prices BEFORE booking the flight. A few cheap options have been discussed on here before - the Hyatt in New Jersey, overlooking the Hudson looking towards Manhattan, is a real four star bargain, for example. You'll be paying cash, though, rather than deals.

Here are the Hyatt Jersey City prices per night in $ (double room):
Thu May 8 $399
Fri May 9 $279
Sat May 10 $219
Sun May 11 $219
So, as you can see, its basically half-price at the weekend. And, for $219 (?110 + tax) you get a very nice 4-star but you are a bit stuffed for the first 2 nights when the price is high. On Tu May 13 they want $529 per night - 2.5 x the weekend rate! This shows how careful you need to be with your dates. This hotel is Jersey City, not Manhattan, but when you look at a map you'll see that you're actually nearer to most things than you would be in Manhattan anyway ...

I stayed here a couple of years ago and its excellent value for money: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/1/en/hotel/ewrjc?rpb=hotel&crUrl=/h/d/pc/1/en/hotelsearchresults However, this is slightly more obscure Jersey City (10 mins walk inland from the Hyatt) and for a first time trip you might want to be nearer the action. 8-12th May is a fab $179 + tax per night.

Its worth noting that the airport hotels are usually cheap. If your flight leaves or arrives late / early you'll save money spending your first / last night near the airport. The Holiday Inn Express at Kennedy, which was fine when I stayed there a few years ago, is $162 + tax on May 8th for eg.

Expedia has flights (out 8 May, back 13 May) for ?348 on BA which is not a bad price. Alternatively, Expedia has packages for 4 nights (3* hotel plus flights) for ?500 each - plus Quidco cashback. This be the cheapest route in the end, but you MUST look at tripadvisor hotel reviews before booking.

Apartment rentals are also something worth looking into. For 4 nights, you might find it cheaper than a hotel.

NEgirl
24th December 2007, 17:23
wow thanks so much raffles - so much to look at there :D

jen
24th December 2007, 19:13
Unless Virgin have packages, neither Air Miles nor BA Miles offer good value. Flights to NYC are so cheap most of the year that the huge number of miles required generally makes them poor value.

The key with NYC is hotels. If there is a big conference in town, rates can easily double. Check hotel prices BEFORE booking the flight. A few cheap options have been discussed on here before - the Hyatt in New Jersey, overlooking the Hudson looking towards Manhattan, is a real four star bargain, for example. You'll be paying cash, though, rather than deals.

Here are the Hyatt Jersey City prices per night in $ (double room):
Thu May 8 $399
Fri May 9 $279
Sat May 10 $219
Sun May 11 $219
So, as you can see, its basically half-price at the weekend. And, for $219 (?110 + tax) you get a very nice 4-star but you are a bit stuffed for the first 2 nights when the price is high. On Tu May 13 they want $529 per night - 2.5 x the weekend rate! This shows how careful you need to be with your dates. This hotel is Jersey City, not Manhattan, but when you look at a map you'll see that you're actually nearer to most things than you would be in Manhattan anyway ...

I stayed here a couple of years ago and its excellent value for money: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/1/en/hotel/ewrjc?rpb=hotel&crUrl=/h/d/pc/1/en/hotelsearchresults However, this is slightly more obscure Jersey City (10 mins walk inland from the Hyatt) and for a first time trip you might want to be nearer the action. 8-12th May is a fab $179 + tax per night.

Its worth noting that the airport hotels are usually cheap. If your flight leaves or arrives late / early you'll save money spending your first / last night near the airport. The Holiday Inn Express at Kennedy, which was fine when I stayed there a few years ago, is $162 + tax on May 8th for eg.

Expedia has flights (out 8 May, back 13 May) for ?348 on BA which is not a bad price. Alternatively, Expedia has packages for 4 nights (3* hotel plus flights) for ?500 each - plus Quidco cashback. This be the cheapest route in the end, but you MUST look at tripadvisor hotel reviews before booking.

Apartment rentals are also something worth looking into. For 4 nights, you might find it cheaper than a hotel.

With the hotels being in New Jersey is it safe to travel there at night when you have eaten out in New York, also how long does it take to travel back to your hotel if you want to dump your shopping and have a break.

Raffles
25th December 2007, 11:54
There is a station under the Hyatt. You travel one stop (2 min journey) and you are at World Trade Centre station in Manhattan. This is great for Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, Battery Park, etc, inc the Century 21 designer clothes discount store, but obviously you need to change and go 4-5 stops north if you want midtown. If you've been shopping in midtown its too far to go back and dump your bags for a 30 minute break, but its no further than, for example, you would be if you book a normal hotel at the south end of Manhattan.

The crunch is when the rail link under the Hudson closes. I don't think it runs all night - might close at midnight - so possibly no good if you are after an all-nighter. (The main NYC metro system runs 24 hours.)

You'd have absolutely no problems at the Hyatt late at night because the hotel is built above the station. The 10-min walk to the Candlewood from the station could be a bit deserted - its a bit like walking through Canary Wharf in London out of office hours. Its certainly not a bad area, though - just not very residential so few people about late at night.

You might also want to have a look at Hilton's Embassy Suites chain (an equivalent chain to Candlewood which is owned by Holiday Inn). These are apartment-style hotels geared to families so normally have a couple of bedrooms and a kitchenette, but are relatively good value because there are no restaurants etc on site. I know there is one near World Trade Centre that has (or at least had) a decent reputation and keeps you on Manhattan.

To be honest, I'd be edging towards an Expedia 'flight and hotel' package, with Quidco cashback, if I could find a well-reviewed hotel which got me 4 nights and a flight for ?500 per person. However, British Airways will launch a sale later this week (probably) which may bring flight prices down to under ?300, at which point booking each bit separately may make sense again.

jen
27th December 2007, 13:07
Thanks Raffles, I feel reassured now. We lived in New York for a year many years ago and despite living in a good area, it was still quite dodgy to travel around at night so my mum tells me!

I have fancied a break for ages in New York but been put off by the price of the hotels. Just got to sit my OH down and get him to decide with me when we are going away next year and put the dates in his work diary! We are off to the maldives at the end of January, we have to visit some friends in Cyprus at some stage next year, also we have our amex 241 ticket to trigger and book. Mind you I don't want to use that on a short new york flight. I shall look at the flight prices when the BA sale is on.

Pinklepurr
27th December 2007, 14:41
I can recommend the Iroquois Hotel on W 44th Street. I stayed there in November and it was FAB!. Brilliant location in midtown Manhattan and just off 5th Avenue so easy to pop back to the hotel to drop shopping off before hitting the shops again! 5 mins by foot from Times Square and within easy reach of loads of Subway stations. I've been to NYC 3 times and this was the first time I'd been on the subway and it was so quick and easy once you have figured out the subway map. We booked thru Expedia and used BA flights into JFK. We paid ?525 each for flights and 2 nights accom. Ideally if you can go for at least 3 nights as 2 nights was too rushed. Also recommend the Tribute WTC exhibition overlooking the site of the World Trade Centre. Very moving, very well thought out exhibition, sensitively done. I cried buckets going round and it is a very humbling experience to go there.

HELLO_KITTY
30th December 2007, 09:45
i also want to go to new york for a short break in may , only noticed yesturday that you can also use airmiles to go to ny aswell as virgin, but this may work out better for me as i dont want the 7 day virgin rule, but i really dont understand airmiles,

is it good value for money, what is an airmile worth?
can i only pay for the flight with airmiles?

i have ?2, 500 worth of deals, would i get much for that?

thanks x x x

HELLO_KITTY
30th December 2007, 15:07
looks like it is going to cost me loads more for less days using airmiles :(
i really dont want the 7 night with virgin, anyone found any ways round this?

NEgirl
30th December 2007, 15:10
im still looking into it kitty but if i find anything i will let you know - the cheapest option i have found so far isnt using clubcard but going through expedia and it works out around ?600 each for 4 days including flights and accom :)

Raffles
30th December 2007, 16:45
"still" ?600 each?

I think you're being a little unfair here. ?600 each to fly 3,000 miles (and back!) plus get 4 nights accommodation in one of the most expensive cities in the world is not exactly a bad deal. Last Easter we paid ?300 each to fly to Nice, no hotel ....

traceya89
5th February 2008, 16:46
bump!

Hi NE girl
did you manage to get a trip to New York sorted. am looking at going myself at the end of May!

alex uk
18th February 2008, 20:44
Me too. I've only just found out about Virgin's 7 day clause. Their prices for 4 are really expensive so I dread to think what 7 would be.

Jemima Puddle-Duck
18th February 2008, 23:21
Me & my Sis went last Novemer, stayed at the Millenium Hilton for 7 days with Virgin. This was our 2nd time and i still didn't do everything i wanted to. We paid ?2500 in deals for a junior suite, which was a corner suite with the most amazing view - i'd jump at the chance to go back tomorrow, i'm very jealous. I hope you got something booked.

NEgirl
18th February 2008, 23:51
"still" ?600 each?

I think you're being a little unfair here. ?600 each to fly 3,000 miles (and back!) plus get 4 nights accommodation in one of the most expensive cities in the world is not exactly a bad deal. Last Easter we paid ?300 each to fly to Nice, no hotel ....

If you read my reply i did not say STILL ?600 - i did a smilie face after it as i was pleased with that price......i think you misread, so really i wasnt a little unfair at all!

bump!

Hi NE girl
did you manage to get a trip to New York sorted. am looking at going myself at the end of May!

I still havent managed to sort anything unfortunately - we have too much going on at home right now. my dad was diagnosed with cancer a year ago and although he reacted to the chemo well when he went back in jan for his checkup it is back and this time theres nothing working and its now just a waiting game :(

Hope you get something booked and im sure i will go one day :)

Jemima Puddle-Duck
19th February 2008, 00:23
[/QUOTE] I still havent managed to sort anything unfortunately - we have too much going on at home right now. my dad was diagnosed with cancer a year ago and although he reacted to the chemo well when he went back in jan for his checkup it is back and this time theres nothing working and its now just a waiting game :(

Hope you get something booked and im sure i will go one day :)[/QUOTE]

So sorry to hear about your Dad. xx

Raffles
19th February 2008, 09:41
Me & my Sis went last Novemer, stayed at the Millenium Hilton for 7 days with Virgin. This was our 2nd time and i still didn't do everything i wanted to. We paid ?2500 in deals for a junior suite, which was a corner suite with the most amazing view - i'd jump at the chance to go back tomorrow, i'm very jealous. I hope you got something booked.

I stayed in one of these corner suites in 2003 - and very nice they are too! Superb pool in the Millennium as well.

Jemima Puddle-Duck
19th February 2008, 15:21
I stayed in one of these corner suites in 2003 - and very nice they are too! Superb pool in the Millennium as well.

I loved the hotel, mega friendly staff, easy for underground etc but i wouldn't go back there till the new building replacing the twin towers was up a bit as the jack hammering was a bit much. If we hadn't been there on Thankgiving which gave them a 4 day holiday then i might of asked to be moved as it was stotting loud sometimes. Great views though & Century 21 right next door, not much in the way of eating places at night around the hotel though. But overall a brilliant stay.

Raffles
19th February 2008, 15:24
I was there just after it reopened, and the work hadn't started on the WTC site - you were just looking over the empty pit. It used to be very cheap at weekends, as were all hotels around Wall Street / Battery Park - this is still true to some extent but not as cheap as they were in 2003.

Jemima Puddle-Duck
19th February 2008, 15:29
Yeah i would say that once all the works done then the price of the hotels around there will rocket, esp the Millenium as it's such a fab hotel, would defo stay again but i'd find out in advance that there was no jack hammering going on.;)

kennedy999
20th February 2008, 16:31
Not sure if this is any help:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/148089/london-to-new-york-direct-for-189-r/