PDA

View Full Version : help please - teeth

whamfanuk
29th December 2007, 13:36
my youngest is 7 and last year on boxing day he knocked both of his front teeth out, just about grown back to full size and he has knock half of one of them out today :eek:

i am awaiting empergency dentist to ring back

what should i do with other half of tooth?

Gizmos
29th December 2007, 13:44
when you say half do you mean horizontally or vertically?

I know we have a couple of dentals on here - can't remember who they are though - Unintended Muse springs to mind but not 100%

SuzyWoo
29th December 2007, 13:45
Keep it, but I suspect he'll have to have a crown when he's older. I did something similar at his age, and had temporary caps till I was 18 then had a porcelain veneer.

Gizmos
29th December 2007, 13:46
got it wrong it was

maleficent mum - she gave some advice to Kitty re wisdom teeth

Polo
29th December 2007, 13:48
Yeah, I'd keep it somewhere safe too.... don't know what its best to store it in, probably just cotton wool in a ring box or something?

Poor thing, I hate dentists and teeth!

taffyswife
29th December 2007, 13:48
Sure I read somewhere - to put the bit of tooth in some milk,

Gizmos
29th December 2007, 13:49
Nina B is also a dental nurse as well - just might be worth a quick PM

whamfanuk
29th December 2007, 13:54
when you say half do you mean horizontally or vertically?

I know we have a couple of dentals on here - can't remember who they are though - Unintended Muse springs to mind but not 100% in a triangle shape :shocked:

Gizmos
29th December 2007, 13:55
sounds rather nasty presume it is pretty sharp as well

whamfanuk
29th December 2007, 14:01
dentist rang back, he said its not urgent and he is gonna file it down on wednesday and start rebuilding it

Gizmos
29th December 2007, 14:01
did he say what to do with the other piece? will he cement it in

whamfanuk
29th December 2007, 14:34
did he say what to do with the other piece? will he cement it in

i said shall i save it , he said nope :shocked:

catkinz
29th December 2007, 20:22
My DD did exactly the same 2 months ago. Came off bike and broke tooth on rocks. Couldn't find damn bit anywhere! Just a triangle left. Dentist rebuilt it using quick setting white stuff, filed it to shape and now looks good as new. Don't know how long it will last long term but hopefully it can be replaced as necessary if need be.

Poppyfields
29th December 2007, 20:56
hi wham my youngest ds did this too (my bath still has the chip to prove it!!) ... You can keep a full tooth in milk (wash it in milk the put it straight back in the hole) but with a chunk out of ot the only thing they can do is fill it ... if this doesnt work they then put a post in it (after my sons filling had been replaced 5 timees we went for this) and that gives a much more permanent filling... then somewhere between the ages of 16 and 18 they can cap it permanantly (apparently they wait for your face to stop growing before they do this!!) my son is now 13 and did this at 9 .... its such shame when the tooth has only just come through isnt it.... good luck!!!

SuzyWoo
29th December 2007, 21:23
That's what they did with me slugbug. The porcelain caps are very good though, and they can match the colours really closely to your own teeth.

whamfanuk
29th December 2007, 23:22
tommy xmas 2007

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d113/whamfanuk/SP_A0053.jpg

tommy xmas 2006

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d113/whamfanuk/DSCF5001.jpg

bubbler
29th December 2007, 23:26
Ooooch! My brother did the same when he was young: walked ino a room with a polished wood floor, slipped and ended up with his teeth in a table.

Not a nice thing to happen to the poor chappie: hope he wasn't too upset xx

whamfanuk
29th December 2007, 23:30
Ooooch! My brother did the same when he was young: walked ino a room with a polished wood floor, slipped and ended up with his teeth in a table.

Not a nice thing to happen to the poor chappie: hope he wasn't too upset xx

he was gutted :(

NinaB
29th December 2007, 23:55
Ooo poor chap! If a tooth should get completely knocked out, the best place to keep it (after a rinse if necessary) is actually back in your mouth - tuck it in a cheek and DON'T swallow it lol. If it's a kiddie's tooth and they are too upset to do that, you can put it in your own mouth if you're not squeemish!

As it's a chunk of tooth he's lost, there's basically no way to stick it back on. The dentist should hopefully be able to rebuild it with some white filling material as the most simple type of repair. There may be an x-ray too, as the dentist might be concerned about whether the nerve will survive the bash - the tooth may get darker over time, but that can be solved with a veneer or crown when he's older.

Probably not much point having a 'proper' extensive repair until he's fully grown, but try to get it done just before he's 18 so it's still free on the NHS (at the moment anyway.....)

What a shame! Hope he's fixed up soon.

meemo38
30th December 2007, 00:59
Porlitle chap, i hope it isntto sharp.
Brings back memories of when my second daughter was little, we went ice skating and she had trainer skates on, she was 3ish i think, anyway she fell on the seats roun the rink, blood everywere, i thought she knocked her tooth out, looked all over couldnt find it.
This was late at night, she's an odd bod, went straight onto maccy Ds had a kids meal, then the next day i took her to the dentist who said he would hae to wait for te swelling to go own to assess the situation, so a week later back we went, i told him i was concerned re a lump just under her nostril, couldnt feel anything on the gum......anyway short of it is the tooth had been knock right back up into the gum, took ages to grow out, and it grew out right at the top of the gum, making her mouth bleed everytime it was knocked, took me ages to convince them to take it out, so thats what they did in the end under a general...she came straight out, into the hospital cafe and had cornish pasty and chips LOL.
It made the second tooth grow out of line and they said she may need a brace, but it seems to be settling in nicely now...she is 13
Oops sorry to hijack your thread

maleficent_mum
30th December 2007, 01:49
Poor thing, when your dentist builds it back up it'll be hardly noticeable, what a shame though.
DS knocked a baby tooth back up when he was 3 and for once I was encouraging him to suck his dummy, apparently it helped bring the tooth back down.