PDA

View Full Version : Hotels in Cardiff

taffyswife
29th December 2007, 12:55
After some help please?

Could anyone recommend a good hotel or B&B in Cardiff?

I am thinking of taking Taffy away for his birthday, but haven't been to Cardiff since Wales hosted the Rugby World Cup.

Would like somewhere near the city centre is possible.

Thanks

Dominic
29th December 2007, 13:20
Hilton (by the Castle) is OK, spent some time there with work. There is one opposite that is called the Angel I think, that looks fantastic but expensive. I've heard the Jury's is better than the Hilton, I thought Hilton was ok tho!

taffyswife
29th December 2007, 13:50
Cheers Dom - I was wondering about the Hilton - might have a look on their web site.

fluffybunny
29th December 2007, 14:03
been to the Marriott a few times c/o Tesco.

Very nice, with breakfast too

its down the end of the main street , within walking distance of shops/bars

pookienoodle
29th December 2007, 14:08
the big sleep is nice(very modern) and part owned by john malkovitch.
whats your budget?

Dominic
29th December 2007, 14:11
Marriott is usually better than Hilton I believe? There are some nice views from the Hilton of Castle/Millenium stadium/river, that was a big plus.

angel,dust
29th December 2007, 14:13

fatherjack
29th December 2007, 14:37
After some help please?

Could anyone recommend a good hotel or B&B in Cardiff?

I am thinking of taking Taffy away for his birthday, but haven't been to Cardiff since Wales hosted the Rugby World Cup.

Would like somewhere near the city centre is possible.

Thanks

Hi Taffys wife.

Stayed in the Marriotts a few times myself, my brother works there & got us a good deal (no need to use Mr T vouchers).

I would recommend Marriott, it is in the heart of the city centre, and has good views over Cardiff, and the food is first class. Do you plan on using Clubcard vouchers? You cannot use for Hilton Cardiff. However you can for Marriott.

Jurys is another hotel, not stayed there myself.
Angel Hotel is opposite Cardiff Castle , but is a little expensive I found.
There is also the Holiday Inn which is opposite the Angel Hotel, this has recently been refurbished.

angel,dust
29th December 2007, 15:22

suziq
29th December 2007, 15:42
the royal is nice, very modern but too trendy to have cooked breaky

Deedee
29th December 2007, 15:44
Do you want to house swap instead? lol

rach109
29th December 2007, 16:22
We love the Park Plaza http://www.parkplaza.com/cardiffuk

and St Davids http://www.thestdavidshotel.com/

HTH

:)

taffyswife
29th December 2007, 16:29
Thank you for all the replies - I will do some investigating.

Think my budget would be about ?100 max. If I could find somewhere I could use my clubcard vouchers that would be great, but not worried if I can't.

I haven't stayed in the Marriott - but used to go to the bar, before going to the Arm's Park.

taffyswife
29th December 2007, 16:30
Do you want to house swap instead? lol

Only if you fancy a weekend in a two bedroom maisonette, full of toys lol

WELSH-DRAGON
29th December 2007, 16:44
Myself and DD won a Spa day at St Davids and it was fantastic - with wonderful views - apparently its the only place Simon Cowell will stay in Cardiff (or so I was told)

our office always use Jurys when we have colleagues over from Amsterdam

The Marriott and Park Plaza are good too

I hope you have a wonderful time where ever you stay

Welshy x

WELSH-DRAGON
31st December 2007, 22:45
taffyswife -or any one near Cardiff or planning a visit:

my office is in Cardiff Bay and they were giving out vouchers booklets - these are the discounts on them:

10% off BA Orient between noon and 3pm Monday to Thursday
?5 off wys ?20 or more at Bellinis (min 2 people)
10% off with the booklet at Bosphorus (Turkish food)
BOGOF on all ice creams at Cadwaladers ice cream cafe
a free bottle of wine at Cafe Naz for every ?20 spent at lunchtime (12-3pm)
go large for free on any hot drink at Coffee Mania
10% off the total bill on the a la carte menu 1-4pm Mon-thurs only at Demiros
10% off your bill at mimosa kitchen and bar
10% off at Pearl of the Orient 12-3pm mon-thurs
10% off at Scallops fish restaurant
?5 discount on your meal wys ?20 or more at Signor Valentinos
10% off at Subway
10% off at Tapas
10% off the Bay Restaurant
?5 discount on your meal at the Bayside Brasserie (wys ?20 or more)

times, days for the discounts are shown in the booklet but it may be useful to anyone visiting Cardiff Bay

Welshy x

Lunollie
20th June 2008, 16:11
Hi, planning on booking a break in Cardiff to use a pampering experience voucher that I was given last Christmas. I was just looking for any recommendations of places to stay, I would like to use my Tesco vouchers if possible but if there are other options I am happy to consider them.

I will be visiting with my OH and 21 month old twins so we would need family friendly accommodation.

thanks for any help!!

Deedee
20th June 2008, 16:25
where is the pampering experience Lunollie?

Lunollie
20th June 2008, 16:39
It's a Virgin Experience Day and it justs says Windsor Place and the postcode is CF10 3DE.

Deedee
20th June 2008, 16:44
Right, that is basically a little street of the main shopping street in the city centre.

all main hotel chains are within easy access to there, I'm sure the Thistle is in Windsor place too, CC deals on that!
No, its just 2 mins walk away!

Lunollie
20th June 2008, 17:00
Thanks for your help - I will look into it!! :D

Gavvy
20th June 2008, 17:31
Has the cardiff thistle re-opened yet- had major water damage a few years ago and had to be gutted. I think its being re-named back to the Park hotel- which is what it was before thistle took over and run the place down!

The Cardiff Hilton is i think excluded from Tesco deals, its a very nice hotel.

You also have Mercure Holland house which is a 5 min walk from the main shopping street and windor place these are on deals I think, I use the conference facilities a lot with work and the management dont know the left hand from the right, but ive heard the rooms are nice.

There is also a Marriott and a travel lodge the other side of the town centre.

I would avoid the hotels in the Bay,as they are not within walking distance of the main shopping centre, although there is public transport.

Gavvy
22nd June 2008, 21:12
Just to add, the Park hotel - Cardiff thistle has re-opened, I passed it yesterday, have not been inside, but would imagine its all new and shiney!

tomkilburn
22nd June 2008, 22:06
Etap Clean Cheep and if you are just looking to find somewhere to sleep very central

Hummer
23rd June 2008, 15:41
you cannot stay at the Hilton Cardiff with clubcard vouchers, but you can stay at the marriott, the mercure looked lovely from the outside and think the cardiff one takes deals too.

If you go to the Marriot site you can book online using the code T85 wich will tell you the tesco clubcard rate and if its available for your nights.

pookienoodle
23rd June 2008, 15:48
the mecure holland house hotel is very nice.
I haven't stayed but i have visited a room on a mystery customer visit.its not slap bang in the city centre and therefore no drunken stag parties at 4 am, but within walking distance .

Gavvy
23rd June 2008, 19:32
There is major construction going on around the Marriott at the moment - not sure if it would disrupt your stay but is worth looking into- that entire side of the city centre is being rebuilt into a massive shopping centre.

WELSH-DRAGON
23rd June 2008, 19:37
ah yes I know all about the shopping centre - a couple of weeks ago I was stood on the top of the John Lewis construction store site for the topping out ceremony and in conjunction with the echo/st davids 2 project I will be making topical comments on the new shopping centre.

as for hotels I like St Davids in the Bay or the Marriott which is central

welshy x

carolben
23rd June 2008, 19:59
future inn in the bay is nice as well. about ?75 a night.
marriott city centre is good, as is novetel, which can both be paid in deals.

Lynwen
1st November 2009, 19:22
I want to take both my girls away to Cardiff for a treat, plus I have tesco coupons that end this month... Im planning on taking them to the Mercure in Cardiff. After looking up on their website I can see that they do spa weekends... will I be able to pay for the spa weekend with my coupons?? does anyone know?? xxx

baconbap
1st November 2009, 19:30
taffyswife -or any one near Cardiff or planning a visit:

my office is in Cardiff Bay and they were giving out vouchers booklets - these are the discounts on them:

10% off BA Orient between noon and 3pm Monday to Thursday
?5 off wys ?20 or more at Bellinis (min 2 people)
10% off with the booklet at Bosphorus (Turkish food)
BOGOF on all ice creams at Cadwaladers ice cream cafe
a free bottle of wine at Cafe Naz for every ?20 spent at lunchtime (12-3pm)
go large for free on any hot drink at Coffee Mania
10% off the total bill on the a la carte menu 1-4pm Mon-thurs only at Demiros
10% off your bill at mimosa kitchen and bar
10% off at Pearl of the Orient 12-3pm mon-thurs
10% off at Scallops fish restaurant
?5 discount on your meal wys ?20 or more at Signor Valentinos
10% off at Subway
10% off at Tapas
10% off the Bay Restaurant
?5 discount on your meal at the Bayside Brasserie (wys ?20 or more)

times, days for the discounts are shown in the booklet but it may be useful to anyone visiting Cardiff Bay

Welshy x

Oh no,just spent friday there and bought full price icecream at cadwalladers!

huntsu1
2nd November 2009, 06:39
We have stayed at the Novotel, great hotel and has parking. ts the other side of the railway bridge but 10 min walk to the centre and 15 the other way to the Bay, tried to book yesterday with deals but all my dates were unavailable including March!!

Greenpen
2nd November 2009, 11:58
Up until two years ago I visited Cardiff frequently and stayed at all the city centre hotels (not the ones at the bay). My favourite was the Hilton. The rooms, including bathrooms, are large and the food in the restaurant good. I also liked the Park Plaza, not so much for the rooms which seemed cramped, but for the excellent restaurant. The Holland House was was too variable, swinging from good to awful for no apparent reason. Its rooms are big but souless and the windows dirty most of the time. However, it does have a big swimming pool.

That was two years ago, so probably not much help unless integrated with other comment.

Lynwen
2nd November 2009, 15:23
Well...... while I was waiting for a response from you all last night!!! :D I ordered some Mercure tokens.... I phoned them this morning regarding their spa etc etc... the lady told me on the phone that they dont accept Tesco deals before Christmas.. me being me asked her why not?? she said because they only get half the original price back from Tesco Deals and because they are busy enough without them.. I asked her why did they bother with them then?? because they hope people will enjoy their stay so much and want to go back again!!!!!! and I said, oh yesssssss.... with more Tesco deals.....!!!!!!!!!!!! ;):p :behindsofa:

Lynwen
6th November 2009, 14:22
anyone going to cardiff??? theres some MOC's on this site that might come useful

http://www.visitcardiff.com/Special-Offers-Cardiff.html

rach109
6th November 2009, 19:21
also a few eatery discounts here : http://www.reddragonfm.co.uk/sectional.asp?id=33928

jejawill
24th July 2011, 20:57
Has anyone stayed in Cardiff recently with deals?We are hoping to take the children towards the end of the holidays for a couple of nights.Also any recommendations for things to do(children are 7,10 & 12)
Thanks

rach109
26th July 2011, 00:04
Has anyone stayed in Cardiff recently with deals?We are hoping to take the children towards the end of the holidays for a couple of nights.Also any recommendations for things to do(children are 7,10 & 12)
Thanks

cardiff castle
cardiff museum
st fagans museum of welsh life
walk down the bay and barrage ( play area and ice creams en route )
cosmeston lakes
cardiff international pool
boat trip down the bay
red dragon centre has bowling ( ?4.95 per child to bowl,eat and drink ) plus odeon cinema ( cheap kids viewings in the hols and wkends )

there are various farms,cinemas,parks,play areas etc too
take a look on south east wales section of netmums.com