PDA

View Full Version : George Foreman Grill

markat
1st January 2008, 20:17
Finally unwrapped mine - delicious steak last night, chicken tonight - both reduced to silly prices ! Anyone got any other meal ideas ? Can't believe I took so long to try it.

whamfanuk
1st January 2008, 20:18
bacon is fab on it, burgers, sausages

Irishsmurfy
1st January 2008, 20:19
Large mushrooms, stuffed tomatoes, peppers, onions etc etc!!

I'm hungryyyyyyyyyyy

Gizmos
1st January 2008, 20:20
veggies

sliced peppers (one green, one red, one yellow) cherry tomatoes; mushroom; spring onions

throw on and leave - then add some pepperoni over the top off it just so its melts slightly

nice and simple and slightly healthly

failing that you could make kebabs with vegetabls and chunks of meat and put on and turn four times

there is the usual burgers and sausages what takes a fraction of time

pork steaks - the thincut ones you get in Tesco are ideal

I do eat one of each of the peppers, about 8 tomatoes, and six-eight mushrooms and half a dozen slice of the pepperoni so not sure how filling you'd find it

markat
1st January 2008, 20:22
love mushrooms !!
sausages ok from frozen ?
wolfing down a chicken breast sandwich - perfectly cooked.

Gizmos
1st January 2008, 20:23
yes they are ok from frozen just make sure they are piping in the middle - i've actually put frozen sausages on the grill and browned them slightly then made into a casserole in the oven

oh and do turn stuff - some peeps think they can close the lid and forget I prefer to turn as the top never seems as hot as bottom

cherry pie
1st January 2008, 20:24
cheese toasties are nice on it.

markat
1st January 2008, 20:25
cheers Giz - wish I tried it earlier

Irishsmurfy
I love the George Foreman grills - food nicely cooked - moist in the middle but perfectly cooked and very, very healthy for you!!

My diet starts tomorrow so George will be out on counter for the next few months!!

ChickenCottage
wash some potatoes, leave the skin on and slice into 2 or 3 slices.
Mix up a mixture of oil and chillipowder & salt, or whatever sort of seasoning you like and mix the potatoes through this. (you could use black pepper, or curry powder, or smashed garlic etc)
(you can do the mixing in a big bowl, or a plstic freezer bag is handy)
Set on the grill..takes about 20 minutes and it's a nice way to cook potatoes without too much fat.

Gizmos
1st January 2008, 20:26
i've got half a dozen peppers ontop of mine and the rest of the stuff in the fridge you've got me wanting to quickly prep it all - that's despite having a full roastie dinner just a few hours ago

with the mushroom i you use large flat ones for the first part put it so the opening is face up and smear some butter inside

Gizmos
1st January 2008, 20:27
hm might try that with potatoes - be a bit like thick crisps - hmm could stick them through the slicer ....

markat
1st January 2008, 20:30
new potatoes ?
sorry lousy in the kitchen me !

Gizmos
1st January 2008, 20:32
any potatoes - but I am old skool and a potato is a potato

ChickenCottage
1st January 2008, 20:48
yeah, new potatoes or any potatoes :)
Sometimes I add a teaspoonful of sugar to the mix.

markat
1st January 2008, 20:51
sounds fab - will try some mushrooms next me thinks (or anything reduced lol)

Polo
1st January 2008, 20:51
ooo thanks for asking the question Mark, I think I'm gonna pinch some of these ideas too..... I've got a cheapie version of george that I've finally unwrapped, so feeling inspired now, and I need to make it as low fat as possible!

markat
1st January 2008, 20:55
was going to e bay mine then a friend invited me for dinner and did steak on his - was delicious !
oven packed in so this will be a change from microwaving everything - kinda skint so the cheaper the ideas the better - thanks ladies, xx.

Gizmos
1st January 2008, 20:58
the veggies on the grill is so simple and easy - you could add courgette as well but this would need a bit of a headstart

Gizmos
1st January 2008, 21:02
mine doesn't sit around long enough to wait to be photographed - but I may try it

kaydee
1st January 2008, 21:45
Nice and healthy for the new year, slice a fresh pineapple into rings about an inch thick and grill. Lovely

Polo
1st January 2008, 21:57
Hmmm pineapple slices - guess you could drizzle them in honey too....... a nice, warm, filling and low fat dessert!

markat
1st January 2008, 22:00
might try some sausages and potatoes tomorrow - freezer and cupboards empty.

Polo
1st January 2008, 22:02
Oh, and I'm sure fresh pineapples half price in tesco now!

**Patty**
1st January 2008, 22:54
Pineapple is even better with toffee ice-cream :)

Gizmos
1st January 2008, 22:57
mmm but its a bit messy when you put the ice cream on the grill - seems to go all gooey

Polo
1st January 2008, 22:59
Toffee ice cream - that actually made me gasp with pleasure at the thought.....

I can see it being a problem on the grill though.... :)

alibongo
1st January 2008, 23:23
I do my Panini's on my grill, familys favourite at mo is tuna & cheese melt, cooks in approx 3 mins, gorgeous with crunchy salad.

Dominic
1st January 2008, 23:33
I give in. I'm going to buy one tomorrow having read this. Any good deals around on them?

Gizmos
1st January 2008, 23:34
i've got theone with removable plates - would recommend it over the other one

numpty
1st January 2008, 23:41
Halloimi cheese is heaven on the grill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Polo
2nd January 2008, 00:17
Mmmmmm Brie, cranberry and bacon in a pannini or ciabatta thing.....

Cheese and beans toasties are good too!

molly316
2nd January 2008, 00:23
tuna steaks cooked on the grill are marvellous :) Ive even managed to do "fried" eggs on mine, though you have to tip it flat till it starts to set, its grease free :) I cook just about everything on there tbh

Ive just about worn my ASDA knock off one out after 3 years but I really fancy the removable plate one as they'll go in the dw - the one I have is a bit fiddly to clean. The easiest way Ive found is to clean it when its warm with kitchen towel but it makes a mess when you wipe it down and the back is more fiddly to clean. My dad has that one too Giz and he loves it - says the chicken breasts come out cooked better, not crispy on the outside. Currys do it on a good deal atm I think, cheaper than Mr T's I believe

M x

Unintended Muse
2nd January 2008, 00:23
Salmon is good on the grill..

and for veggies - try aubergine.

rach109
2nd January 2008, 14:37
we had a george and i used it every day practically

it was the one with the fixed plates though and it got a bit manky even though i cleaned it when still warm ( most of the time :o)

we are going to get the removeable plate one now

we use it for :

meat or fish & veg skewers
steak / chicken breast / salmon or tuna steaks
paninnis / toasties
veggies
bacon / saus / mushroons for breakfast paninnis !

mmmm loving the pineapple idea !

black cat
2nd January 2008, 14:45
I would not be without mine. On my third one now - first two the non stick stuff started to come off and now have the removeable plates one which is so much better for cleaning.

It has to be the thing that is used the most in my kitchen, i can not remember the last time I grilled something. It is so quick and easy to use (and it is really eye opening the amount of fat/liquid that comes out of some things when you cook them)

markat
2nd January 2008, 14:51
Halloimi cheese is heaven on the grill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How long do you leave it on for ? - I love this cheese !

ChickenCottage
2nd January 2008, 15:00
If anyone is buying a new one, buy a big one!
Wee tiny ones aren't much use.

I'm not sure about steak on it tbh..but chickenbreast is good, with a little oliveoil.

Dominic
2nd January 2008, 15:00
Well I went for it this morning..... well sort of! I have bought the cheap Tesco one, to see how we get on. It is half the price of the George ones, although I see they have a hinge that adjusts..... tbh tho we won't be cooking thick things in it anyway.

Going to try it out for the first time late this afternoon. Boneless pork chops. I am just thinking what to sprinkle on them, perhaps use the garlic/chili grinder?

Chicken, there are only two of us, so the Tesco one, which will do 4 chicken fillets at a time, is big enough. If we find it isn't, it was only about ?13 anyway.

**Patty**
2nd January 2008, 16:06
mmm but its a bit messy when you put the ice cream on the grill - seems to go all gooey

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I really should pay more attention when posting.....:doh:

markat
2nd January 2008, 21:42
Did some mushrooms tonight - fantastic (all the tastier for using a 15 point when you buy veg voucher !!)

Dominic
2nd January 2008, 21:46
I did my first meal, chops. Hadn't a clue how long to do them, so did them for about 10-12 minutes.... and then when we had them they were a bit tough and no better than done in the oven IMHO.....?! No recipe booklet with the Tesco one so a bit tricky to know what to do with everything!

Gizmos
2nd January 2008, 21:51
http://www.georgeforemangrills.co.uk/healthy/index.aspx

markat
2nd January 2008, 22:00
Could photo copy and send you my instruction book Dom.

numpty
2nd January 2008, 22:35
depends how thick you cut it!!! check it every few minutes:)
How long do you leave it on for ? - I love this cheese !

ChickenCottage
2nd January 2008, 22:37
I don't really like it for that type of meat either Dom, (not steaks either) with the exception of chickenbreasts. I think it dries it out to much and too tough as you say.
I alwsys brush a wee bit of olive oil over the chicken too.

Don't despair, there are many things it's better at cooking.

Polo
2nd January 2008, 22:43
Was disappointed in mine tonight too Dom, was feeling inspired so I did some chopped up mushrooms and courgettes - they were good, but ran out of room so stuffed them ino the wok to keep warm.... (which kinda defeated the object of using the grill!)

I then did some pork strips for the stir fry - they were awful.... Got really chargrilled (ie. black!!) on top, and pink in the middle, so ended up using the wok for them too....

Hoping that I'll work out what to do with practice!

markat
2nd January 2008, 22:45
Perhaps I've just been lucky or maybe was such a lousy cook before anything would help me !

pookienoodle
2nd January 2008, 22:55
becarefull not to overcook things on the george.
remeberyou are coking both sides at once.
Dom 10-12 mins is way too long for pork chops unless they are about 5 inches thick!
it usually takes about 5 or 6 mins on our george for boneless pork chops.
make sure you preheat it first.

markat
2nd January 2008, 23:01
think Dom needs my instructions sent !
did sausages from frozen in 11 mins - perfect and they were thick ones.

Dominic
3rd January 2008, 00:19
think Dom needs my instructions sent !
did sausages from frozen in 11 mins - perfect and they were thick ones.

Hiya Mark, sorry missed this earlier. Yes a copy of the instructions would be fab, will PM you.

Cheers

Dom

Dominic
3rd January 2008, 00:22
Mark you need to clear your PM inbox/outbox, it is full!

rach109
3rd January 2008, 13:22
Was disappointed in mine tonight too Dom, was feeling inspired so I did some chopped up mushrooms and courgettes - they were good, but ran out of room so stuffed them ino the wok to keep warm.... (which kinda defeated the object of using the grill!)

I then did some pork strips for the stir fry - they were awful.... Got really chargrilled (ie. black!!) on top, and pink in the middle, so ended up using the wok for them too....

Hoping that I'll work out what to do with practice!

put the meat and veg onto a wooden skewer and then turn regularly :)

Polo
3rd January 2008, 14:25
Thanks Rach, I'll give that a whirl next time...

I just managed to do some bacon pieces and mushrooms..... bacon got too crispy, but 'rooms were nice!!

molly316
3rd January 2008, 18:30
okay looking at replacing my ASDA one which has worked hard for its living but I really fancy one with removable plates now I have my dw

Amazon have 2 models:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/George-Foreman-12617-Grilleration-removable/dp/B000A7T8WY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1199377631&sr=8-3 which is ?49.95 and has the following features:

* A 465 cm squared grilling surface
* Features a new innovative grill design with removable, dishwasher safe plates
* Improved heat distribution and contact grilling allows you to cut your cooking time i
* Cool touch ergonomic handles for easy removal and insertion of grill plates
* Grill channels carry run off grease and fat into a separate tray
* New George Tough dishwasher safe plate coating

and this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/George-Foreman-12205-Grilleration-Removable/dp/B0009XDEHO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1199377631&sr=8-1
at ?39.00 which also has removable plates and the following:

* A large 645 cm squared grilling surface
* Oversized LED readouts for variable temperature control and timer
* Improved heat distribution and contact grilling allows you to cut your cooking time

so the bigger one with variable temp control & timer is cheaper?

Which one have you guys got please? Im sure me dad paid about ?50 or so from Currys just before xmas and his has the variable temp control on.

is Amazon part of quidco??

M x

Gizmos
3rd January 2008, 18:32
i've got the first one but would go for the second on that deal - I just didnt want to pay the extra ?20 !

Gizmos
3rd January 2008, 18:34
PS are htey sure that its 645 area on the latter i suspet it may be a type and be 465 like theother

molly316
3rd January 2008, 18:36
thats what I was wondering Giz.. gonna google it. You still get the variable temp setting though... will go check...

Its free delivery too :)

Gizmos
3rd January 2008, 18:37
yup seems good value removable plates are great! think I may go and do myself a hot BLT on it

molly316
3rd January 2008, 18:47
Currys have it at Grilling surface 645(cm2) too and they want ?69.99

ASDA want ?58.75 plus delivery

and selling on ebay for ?66 with 18 hours to go :eek:

think Id best go get meself one :D

Thanks Giz x

princesskerry
4th January 2008, 00:01
Before christmas Amazon had them at some great prices.

I have a medium sized one ideal for me and OH but when Joshy and Jayden start getting man sized appetities we will be upgrading. It takes pride of place between the bottle sterilliser (on it's last legs:rolleyes:) and the kettle, it's that well used. I think we probably use it every single day for one thing or another. My OH loves peppers though and can eat them with every single meal so they often get bunged on there, we also always use it for toasties.

Lol I would use it for everything (not a great cook myself, really haven't got a clue better at other things;)) OH on the other hand is a dab hand at cooking, or experimenting at least.

molly316
8th January 2008, 02:26
....Amazon have 2 models:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/George-Foreman-12617-Grilleration-removable/dp/B000A7T8WY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1199377631&sr=8-3 which is ?49.95 and has the following features:

* A 465 cm squared grilling surface
* Improved heat distribution and contact grilling allows you to cut your cooking time i

and this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/George-Foreman-12205-Grilleration-Removable/dp/B0009XDEHO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1199377631&sr=8-1
at ?39.00 which also has removable plates and the following:

* A large 645 cm squared grilling surface
* Oversized LED readouts for variable temperature control and timer
* Improved heat distribution and contact grilling allows you to cut your cooking time

so the bigger one with variable temp control & timer is cheaper? M x

Aye PK, mine is used really often too, unless Im caseroling or stir frying :) Everything gets hoyed on it

I ordered one of the ?39.99 jobbies above and its due to arrive soon if youre looking for a bigger one, that looks a good deal to me

M x

ChickenCottage
10th January 2008, 18:16
These potatoes are just halved and mixed through some olive oil, coarse ground black pepper, a little sugar (to help carmalise) and some salt and thrown on :)
Uses very very little oil to cook.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s65/labasheedy/NOVEMEBER%202007/IMG_5888.jpg

Santaliki
10th January 2008, 19:16
2 points on every pound spent at amazon on pigsback

markat
10th January 2008, 20:00
Look lovely Chickencottage - how long do you give them ?

ChickenCottage
10th January 2008, 22:33
those are quite thick, so about 30 minutes

jenchin
11th January 2008, 09:31
those are quite thick, so about 30 minutes

They look lovely, did you par boil them?

ChickenCottage
11th January 2008, 12:25
no, cook from raw.
Actually they look a lot nicer if you use chilli powder as it turns them a lovely golden colour all over.

molly316
11th January 2008, 12:28
Mmm gonna try them out thanks CC, me new grill arrived today :D. Ive done slices of cooked potato on the grill before, they came out well, but not from fresh

Arrrgh forgot about pigsback though, remembered to check to see if Quidco worked but never thought of p/back. Ah well, still a great price

M x

ChickenCottage
11th January 2008, 12:30
They'll be handier to cook in the GF as they cook both side simultaneuosly so a bit quicker.
Also it seals in the potato and leaves a nice browned outside and the best thing is that it uses so little fat.
It's about the only way of cooking potatoes without having to use lots of butter or oil and still taste great.

harryboy
7th April 2008, 19:41
hi, just brought one of these grills to eat more healthly but am stuck for receipes, can anyone send me some ideas please as the kids are fed up with chicken and grilled veg. thanks

Gizmos
7th April 2008, 19:48
there was a thread on these before if you do a search it should still be there

Grace & Favour
7th April 2008, 19:55
I personally love the logical approach . . . . .

http://www.georgeforemanrecipes.com/

markat
7th April 2008, 20:48
think I started the thread - off to search for it !

markat
7th April 2008, 20:54
here it is ....

http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=23721&highlight=foreman

NitWit
7th April 2008, 20:55
Is this the one: http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23721&highlight=george+foreman

Gizmos
18th August 2010, 08:58
bump after seing something on another thread

muddles
18th August 2010, 12:04
bump after seing something on another thread

Wow thanks Giz..:hug:.some fab cooking ideas here I'll be having a go at

kipperkk
16th March 2011, 20:05
Need a new GF but was thinking of the Tesco Health Grill - seems to get good reviews but was wondering about it not having the floating hinge. Anyone have any thoughts?