PDA

View Full Version : Do Hilton do family rooms?

poogis
2nd January 2008, 14:53
We are hoping for a short break to London in the summer and want to try and pay as much with deals as we can.

Does anyone know if Hilton do family rooms that sleep 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) been trying the website with no joy, our internet keeps cutting off.

Any help appreciated.

Poogis

SuzyWoo
2nd January 2008, 14:56
I think you'll need ajoining rooms, a double double for the kids and a double for the adults - or any other combination lol! If you say two adults and a child in one room, and two children in the ajoining, you should (I think) get the ajoing room at half the adult rate and the other child is free anyway.

Dominic
2nd January 2008, 15:02
AFAIK they only do rooms for 2 adults and 2 kids. The one we had in Maidstone had the availability of an interconnecting door.

poogis
2nd January 2008, 15:02
Thanks, I guess I'll have to give them a ring. I'll wait till the kids are at school though, as soon as I get on the phone they start nagging!

Poogis

SuzyWoo
2nd January 2008, 15:03
Thanks, I guess I'll have to give them a ring. I'll wait till the kids are at school though, as soon as I get on the phone they start nagging!

Poogis
I know that one well! :rolleyes: ;)

poogis
2nd January 2008, 15:09
AFAIK they only do rooms for 2 adults and 2 kids. The one we had in Maidstone had the availability of an interconnecting door.

Oh well, that's the trouble with 3 kids. We can't afford to go anywhere or stay anywhere now as we always need 2 rooms.

I am determined to come up with something though as we didn't go away next year at all, and i have the New Year blues, really need something fun to look forward to this year.

Poogis

nixieh
2nd January 2008, 17:32
I am not sure about the London Hiltons but the Hilton at Gatwick def does family rooms for 5. We stayed in one last Summer before our holiday and it was huge, it had 2 double beds and a single! On the Hilton website does it let you search for 2 ads and 3 kids?

The other thing we have done at the Hilton Gatwick before is just book a room for 4 if there were none avail for 5 and my 3 kids (all under 10) all slept in the double bed. The Hilton Gatwick is v.busy though so I am not sure if you could get away with it at a normal Hilton.

Let us know how you got on as I would be interested to know the answer too.

harryboy
2nd January 2008, 18:12
They do, do family rooms, you are best to phone hotel first on local no found on web site, ask for avalabilty of family rooms on your dates, then ask to be put through to reservations (0870 no) when you know whats avalable, then when they say that there are no family rooms, you can tell them that you have just telephoned the hotel and ask them to do the same. we stay approx 6 times a year with hilton, we always pay as they do good deals inc breakfast & evening meal for cash (not cc deals, although you could check)
once you know the booking system it is easy, if i can help you any more. please pm me. enjoy your stay

stinky minky
2nd January 2008, 20:47
please let us know how you got on as I have been looking at this too. we only have 2 children but would like a connecting room as they are 4 and 2 and I would like them to go to bed and we could stay up and watch tv, otherwise we all go to be at 7

SuzyWoo
3rd January 2008, 08:14
please let us know how you got on as I have been looking at this too. we only have 2 children but would like a connecting room as they are 4 and 2 and I would like them to go to bed and we could stay up and watch tv, otherwise we all go to be at 7

Sounds like us! What you do is book, requesting interconnecting rooms, but then call the hotel direct as well to let them know. Usually the hotels know more than the reservations team.

Raffles
3rd January 2008, 11:09
If you book interconnecting rooms, definitely ring the hotel the week before to re-confirm. Sometimes the central reservations team don't put the appropriate comment in the booking, and sometimes the hotel staff miss the comment when allocating rooms.

GoatBoy
3rd January 2008, 15:40
Just booked a weekend at London Docklands Hilton in June for King Tut at the O2 (?265 in deals for 2 nights B&B). Wanted Canary Wharf but it was booked up for Tesco customers. I know that there are plenty of places to eat in Canary Wharf but what about around Docklands?

Any advice greatly appreciated............

Raffles
3rd January 2008, 15:59
If this is the one in Rotherhithe then the answer is nowhere.

This hotel was built as a block of flats in the 1980's which didn't sell when the property market collapsed, so it was turned into a hotel. Whilst a crazy idea on paper (building a hotel in a 100% residential area, a long walk from any tube station or even any shop bigger than the local newsagent) it worked because there was a shuttle boat over to Canary Wharf. And, at the time, Canary Wharf only had 1 hotel so people had little choice but to use the Hilton.

Today, Canary Wharf has a lot of hotels, possibly too many, and the Hilton Docklands has no reason to exist, quite frankly. Every time you leave the hotel you will have to wait for the boat to take you across to Canary Wharf (and then walk to the tube station) or take the shuttle bus to Canada Water bus and tube station. This is not the most salubrious area after dark although the bus and tube stations are both new.

?265 for 2 nights is a joke, given that you can usually get the five star Marriott (the Rotherhithe Hilton is 3.5 stars, I'd guess) on Canary Wharf at the weekends for ?139 + VAT B&B at weekends. For ?65 in Deals, though, I admit you can't really complain for the money and its OK to the 02 - take the boat across to Canary Wharf, walk to the Jubilee Line station and its one stop (or take the shuttle bus to Canada Water and get the Jubilee Line from there). The reviews on tripadvisor are strangely varied - some people really like and some people really hate it.

If you can get into the Hilton London Bridge (possibly called the Hilton Tower Bridge on the web), consider that. A brand new hotel in a sensible area (next to my office!) and only 2 minutes walk to the Jubilee Line station at London Bridge - which means you'll get to the 02 about 30 minutes quicker than you will from the Hilton Docklands. The London Dungeon is also behind the hotel if your kids want to visit that as well, and Tower Bridge is literally 2 minutes away with the Tower of London on the other side. You'll be in a new hotel next to a tube station, although the downside is no river view (although no guarantee your Docklands room will be on the water) and no hotel pool - although guests at Tower Bridge get free access to the health club across the corner, which does have a pool, albeit a busy one as its a gym and not a hotel.

GoatBoy
3rd January 2008, 16:46
Cheers Raffles - couldn't get into London Bridge either & only had 1 weekend when we could make it.

Does the boat across to Canary Wharf run in the evenings? Just thinking if we could spend the afternoon over there, eat, possibly a film then boat back

heatherbelle
3rd January 2008, 18:25
The tower bridge seems really popular, I have been looking and couldn't get the dates I wanted. Although was looking at school holiday dates. Maybe we will have to go outside these and get DS to miss one day. He won't be happy about that though as he is trying to get a 100% attendance certificate!

Raffles
4th January 2008, 11:11
Cheers Raffles - couldn't get into London Bridge either & only had 1 weekend when we could make it.

Does the boat across to Canary Wharf run in the evenings? Just thinking if we could spend the afternoon over there, eat, possibly a film then boat back

Not sure - ring and check.

However, there is also a cinema and bowling alley at Surrey Quays retail park (and a massive Tesco) which is where the hotel shuttle bus drops you off for the tube. There is also a new cinema in the 02. And, indeed, one at Canary Wharf next to the Marriott.

GoatBoy
4th January 2008, 11:45
Not sure - ring and check.

However, there is also a cinema and bowling alley at Surrey Quays retail park (and a massive Tesco) which is where the hotel shuttle bus drops you off for the tube. There is also a new cinema in the 02. And, indeed, one at Canary Wharf next to the Marriott.

Cheers Raff - massive Tesco eh? OH *might* be a little more sympathetic towards my Tesco fixation having spent a free night in the Hilton but I doubt it :(

Last boat back from CW back to Docklands is 17.25 on Sat/Sun - will probably eat in hotel then or else get the Tubeout to somewhere