PDA

View Full Version : Book it or wait? Don't know what to do!

pboae
3rd January 2008, 01:10
I've been saving points to take OH to Edinburgh for our wedding anniversary in August this year, I've got enough points for the Caledonian (?270 a night :eek:), but I won't get them till February. In the meantime, the flights (which I'll have to pay proper money for ... grrr) have been released, and they are on offer: free flights, only pay the tax.

At the moment there is hotel availability for all the dates we can go, and also 'free' flights. Do I book the flights (currently ?40 each) and just cross my fingers that the hotel room will still be available? (And risk losing the ?80 if they aren't) Or wait till I've actually got the deals, and then have to pay at least ?80 each for the flights?

I don't know what to do :-(

Polo
3rd January 2008, 01:14
I'd take a chance and book the flights....if the hotels then full, could you find a cheaper one so's not to waste the money you've paid in taxes?

Flights will definately, in my opinion, go up nearer to departure, so take advantage if the are free!

SimonJB
3rd January 2008, 01:24
Send the dog to rough em up first! Seriously though, as long as your anniversary aint the 14th (for some strange reason known only to italians, women and florists this is a popular day to be romantic) you should be ok.

pboae
3rd January 2008, 01:26
The other hotel chains are either fully booked, or won't take vouchers for bookings during the festival. If we have to pay full whack for the hotel we won't be able to afford to go at all (even the travelodge wants ?140 a night!). There are two hilton hotels though, so I have sort of got a plan B, but they other one is at Haymarket, and I really really want to stay in the Caledonian. Plus if one is fully booked the other may well be as well.

The flights will definitely go up by ?40 at least, when the offer finishes (or they sell all the cheap tix).

pboae
3rd January 2008, 01:30
Send the dog to rough em up first! Seriously though, as long as your anniversary aint the 14th (for some strange reason known only to italians, women and florists this is a popular day to be romantic) you should be ok.

:confused: is that true (or am I just gullible?). It's actually the 12th, but I was thinking of going from the 14th-17th to save using so many days leave up, and also to try and haggle a late checkout on the Sunday.

12th August is quite a handy anniversary date though, 'cos most diaries have it marked as grouse shooting day, so OH never has an excuse to forget. :p

SimonJB
3rd January 2008, 01:30
Shop at Asda instead of Tesco till then and put the money saved towards your hotel?

SimonJB
3rd January 2008, 01:31
:confused: is that true (or am I just gullible?). It's actually the 12th, but I was thinking of going from the 14th-17th to save using so many days leave up, and also to try and haggle a late checkout on the Sunday.

12th August is quite a handy anniversary date though, 'cos most diaries have it marked as grouse shooting day, so OH never has an excuse to forget. :p

I had mixed up your anni with your Feb mailing! :der::der::der:

pboae
3rd January 2008, 01:32
I already do most of my food shopping at Asda (cos its local), I only shop at Tesco when there's enough points to make it worth my while!

EDIT: ahhh now I see.

Polo
3rd January 2008, 13:28
Well what did you decide to do?

Maldives
3rd January 2008, 13:31
Can you not ask the hotel if you can pay a refundable deposit... you never know they might say yes...

pboae
3rd January 2008, 14:45
I'm still faffing about it. Last night I decided I was just going to book it, but then today I read shoppaholic45's thread about Marriott and now I am dithering again.

Maldives, good idea, but I rang and they won't do it. They suggested I just book rooms now at the regular flexible rate (i.e. ?270 a night) and then if/when I book later with deals I can cancel that booking and get a full refund. If there are no deal rooms available I can just keep the original booking and pay full price :eek: I said I'd think about it. :rolleyes: