PDA

View Full Version : RE Virgin Holidays

biggy h
5th January 2008, 12:39
I know some people have said that you have to pay for flight upgrades and some have got them paid with deals.

My question is if you ask for a quote flying in a specific class is it a flight upgrade or not?

I've always asked for any quote stating the class I travel in upfront so in theory I shouldn't have any flight upgrades. Anybody booked with deals this way?

Maverick
5th January 2008, 12:46
It still counts as a flight upgrade, grrrrrr, I would have prefered to do it this way.
Some peeps have had sucess with cosmos upgrades though.

Flo
5th January 2008, 13:34
Cosmos actually offer 2 types of holiday when you search online, there will be one listed for economy and one listed for premium so its not showing as an addition the premium is a different holiday. With Virgin the problem is that Virgin holidays and Virgin Atlantic are operated separately and all the holidays are economy and you upgrade the seats. I doubt very much that you would get away with upgrading the seat with Virgin as a basic part of the holiday they seem quite strict with not allowing deals to paid for extras and upgrades.

huntsu1
5th January 2008, 16:14
Does anyone have any idea on the cost of an upgrade - hope to go to Las Vegas April 2009 paying in full with vouchers, thought it might be a good idea to come back on an upgrade as its a long night-flight and as the holiday wont be costing anything might be happy to pay a bit!! Thanks

KarenG
5th January 2008, 17:24
Does anyone have any idea on the cost of an upgrade - hope to go to Las Vegas April 2009 paying in full with vouchers, thought it might be a good idea to come back on an upgrade as its a long night-flight and as the holiday wont be costing anything might be happy to pay a bit!! Thanks

According to my VH brochure, for Las Vegas it's "from" ?349 per person each way (in April)

mpet
5th January 2008, 18:03

I've found the upgrade price can change daily. If you are travelling at a busy time (i.e school holidays) you will pay the maximum. If you are travelling at a less busy time, the upgrade price can change the nearer you get to the date (depends on how many upgrades they have sold). Last year we booked a 'standard' Virgin holiday with clubcard deals. We kept an eye on the upgrade price and managed to get it for ?120 each - which was almost half of the price when we booked.

:):)

Maverick
5th January 2008, 18:14
mpet where do you see the upgrade price going down as in brochure its obviously one price, travelling in a few weeks and would be interested in seeing the price, thanks xx

biggy h
5th January 2008, 18:46
Usually the upgrade price has the usual "prices from.." in front of them so they can charge higher prices when demand is high.

mpet
5th January 2008, 18:57
mpet where do you see the upgrade price going down as in brochure its obviously one price, travelling in a few weeks and would be interested in seeing the price, thanks xx

I check by going to the Virgin Holidays site and going through the holiday booking process for the date I am flying. When you get to the page which shows the flight details, it will also show the upgrade price. Last August (for September flights) it was changing virtually daily. I would say to check about a month out, but if you really have to have an upgrade don't leave it too late. A bit of a gamble I know, but worth playing if you're not too bothered.:);)

Maverick
5th January 2008, 19:03
Thanks. Just checked and its actually gone up! Its now ?1k more in Premium Econony which is a joke!

mpet
5th January 2008, 19:05
Thanks. Just checked and its actually gone up! Its now ?1k more in Premium Econony which is a joke!

Keep checking - you may get lucky:pray:

Maverick
5th January 2008, 19:18
think most peeps can do this online, if they go in to manage your booking, but ours is a complicated flight with several changes of planes so doesnt give me that option and still not been loaded up despite booking in the summer and departing in a few weeks.

bootsaholic
5th January 2008, 22:28
We are travelling to Florida in Nov (hopefully) paid for by Mr T and I was thinking of upgrading our seats as this was the only thing I would have to pay for. On virgin holidays website the supplement is ?315 each for premium economy, but exactly the same flight on virgin atlantic website is ?200 extra each! Seems strange - would have considered it for ?200 but an extra ?100 odd per person each way rules it out for me. Would love to try it cos get quite claustrophobic in the normal seats. I have never known virgin to give a free upgrade!!

Flo
6th January 2008, 00:59
I don't think we'd ever get given a free upgrade I think we probably look to 'chavtastic' in our holiday gear, lol.

Maverick
6th January 2008, 09:31
I don't think we'd ever get given a free upgrade I think we probably look to 'chavtastic' in our holiday gear, lol.

You mean your not going in your Best Stella Mc Cartney outfit with your LV Luggage :nono:

My dad frequently gets upgraded by Virgin and mostly to First Class, but he pays for PE.

pookienoodle
6th January 2008, 10:43
try phoning up Virgin holidays and asking for a quote to upgrade ,sometimes they knock them out cheap if there are no economy seats left.
we always go P.E with virgn and have also been upgraded to first class(there were only 4 people booked in p.e so we all got to go in first) .
it was fantastic but also quite scary we spent the entire flight thinking somene was going to shout at us for being in the wrong seat:eek:
the very nice flight attendant came to give us little slippers and take our shoes away to put in the cupboard,when hubbie took his shoes off he had a hole in his sock:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
hope you all get nice upgrades.

Maverick
6th January 2008, 10:55
Rang this morning no PE left on the outbound, and price gone up on the inbound :pout:

bootsaholic
6th January 2008, 13:24

:laugh:

Us too! Although I think we will be slightly posher this year as we have not had to pay for holiday. We may be wearing REAL Lacoste tracksuits instead of fake ones!! (Joking).

Me and DH were upgraded once to business class when we went to Vegas on our own and we were also waiting for someone to come storming up to us and tell us to move - we drank the free champers quickly just in case!!! Was a great experience but it spoilt us really , now we know 'how the other half live'.

biggy h
6th January 2008, 13:46
You mean your not going in your Best Stella Mc Cartney outfit with your LV Luggage :nono:

My dad frequently gets upgraded by Virgin and mostly to First Class, but he pays for PE.

try phoning up Virgin holidays and asking for a quote to upgrade ,sometimes they knock them out cheap if there are no economy seats left.
we always go P.E with virgn and have also been upgraded to first class(there were only 4 people booked in p.e so we all got to go in first) .
it was fantastic but also quite scary we spent the entire flight thinking somene was going to shout at us for being in the wrong seat:eek:
the very nice flight attendant came to give us little slippers and take our shoes away to put in the cupboard,when hubbie took his shoes off he had a hole in his sock:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
hope you all get nice upgrades.

Virgin don't have a First Class, Upper Class is actually Business/Club Class.

I would love to travel first but Club is as the most I would pay for, I couldn't justify the extra ?1,000's it cost over Club.

Maverick
6th January 2008, 14:04
Well ok upper class then!

missfendi
6th January 2008, 18:16
We are travelling to Florida in Nov (hopefully) paid for by Mr T and I was thinking of upgrading our seats as this was the only thing I would have to pay for. On virgin holidays website the supplement is ?315 each for premium economy, but exactly the same flight on virgin atlantic website is ?200 extra each! Seems strange - would have considered it for ?200 but an extra ?100 odd per person each way rules it out for me. Would love to try it cos get quite claustrophobic in the normal seats. I have never known virgin to give a free upgrade!!

my husband normally books premium economy and gets upgraded to upper class regular!!

We took a Virgin flight (paid premium on Christmas day) he was upgraded to upper class but mine remained on Premium economy!! He told me to go to upper class but i wanted to be with him. Instead hubby swapped with the person that was seated next to me in premium; that person went to Upper class!! boy they were so happy as it was a 6 1/2 hour flight

Maverick
6th January 2008, 18:33
Now there is Love if I ever heard it, sod the last rolo.
Love is giving up your Upper class seat.........

bootsaholic
6th January 2008, 19:30
Maybe thats the way to go then - book premium and hope for upper class. I wouldnt mind paying a couple of hundred quid for that!!!

Not sure myDH would have done the same tho - would probably have gone skipping up the stairs waving goodbye!

Maverick
6th January 2008, 20:09
Upgrades dont happen often for most peeps.
Basically the first person to be upgraded is normally the most frequant traveller. So it pays to be a member of theit aimiles scheme, travel a lot, and be smartly dressed. When economy is full for example they may bump one person up to PE, the PE person up to Upper class, to allow some one else on to economy.

Gizmos
6th January 2008, 20:11
travelling alone helps as well

Maverick
6th January 2008, 20:14
Yes it does but wouldnt want to get rid of the OH for the chance of an upgrade, well.............................................. .................................................. ..................
perhaps :laugh:

Gizmos
6th January 2008, 20:15
if your OH was offered an upgrade and you werent what would happen

he refused point blank
he tries and gets you upgraded
he goes up and enjoys it
he gives you the upgrade

Maverick
6th January 2008, 20:17
Think he would give me the upgrade BUT I am these days a bit of a nervy flyer and dont know if I would want to be parted.

I have been asked, to do MS for Virgin flights, but I just dont know if I could on my own.

Gizmos
6th January 2008, 20:20
well if you need a "helper" me will volunteer - where we going

Maverick
6th January 2008, 20:25
Now theres a question, I was looking through my big lonley planet guide to the world last night there are some places I want to go, all a pig to get to.

Saloman Islands is one that sticks in the mind.

Gizmos
6th January 2008, 20:25
am packing right now ....

joaniemerc
9th January 2008, 15:27
What's the cheapest Virgin holiday anyone has done pls? After next mailing will have about ?2,400 worth of deals to use - we are 2 adults and 2 children. Would like any beach hol. with Virgin. (Have done the theme parks and Clearwater.) Ideally would like to go Christmas time but failing that October. (Would love Caribbean but don't think that will happen.)

I just get so confused with the Virgin website - basically not bothered where we go, so long as it's cheap and spend as little hard cash as poss.!

Thanks in advance.
Jx

Maverick
11th January 2008, 18:55
theres lots of lovely caribbean places in that budget in the small and friendly virgin brochure, much nicer in my opnion than the big all incl but will mean you will require some spending money.

99redballs
11th January 2008, 19:52

try ringing virgin hols and as for your flight pnr number (fob them off with that you need to speak to them direct to book and extra person for flight only). then with this ring virgin airlines and see if they can upgrade for ?200 each:D.
btw i've have been upgraded free with virgin :D, those were the days NO KIDS!!!!!