PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone HELP with Cosmos?

mum2-2girls
7th January 2008, 22:01
I had a quote a couple of days ago for Palm Beach, Benidorm. Just wanted to check as I am hoping to book after the next mailing and wanted to know how many cc points I need to get.

Anyway, after asking if I would be using any vouchers (I say yes) she tells me the total is ?1551.

Rang up this evening for a quote at a different hotel to compare and again for the hotel above and this time I am told it will be ?1776 for exactly same dates, flights, people etc and that it excludes transfers?

I know that the price on the website is not the price we pay but have checked online and the hotel price has gone up on there too? If we pay the brochure price, surely it cant have increased the price?

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Katie x
:(

la60
7th January 2008, 22:18
Unfortunately due to supply and demand hol prices can go up or down. In the past i have seen the price of my booked hol go down - and whilst infuriating there is nothing that can be done.

Its even worse using tesco money as usually if annoyed you could just use a different company (doent make any difference to the company - but makes you feel much better iyswim:rolleyes:) But with our limited choice of Virgin & Cosmos you cant easily do it

I watched my cosmos holiday price rise from ?1300 to over ?1800 - couldnt do anything as was waiting on Nov mailing:mad: I could have waited and took the chance that the price may have comedown - luckily i wasnt brave enough to do it as now the holiday is no longer available:eek:

Hope you manage to get booked soon :)

LA

mum2-2girls
7th January 2008, 22:23
But I thought the 'brochure price' was set, as in 'as printed in the brochure'?

Can you tell Im new to this? Been collecting real hard since Sept to book our first family holiday, but I guess it will have to wait now.

bellab
7th January 2008, 22:37
I've just been on Cosmos website and every single holiday I clicked on was no longer available???

mum2-2girls
7th January 2008, 22:41
I've just been on Cosmos website and every single holiday I clicked on was no longer available???

How do you know if its available?

la60
7th January 2008, 22:43
TBH i dont know how they get away with it - Have you actually got a brochure in front of you - how does the price compare? The last time i looked at an actual paper brochure was years ago but remember trying to calculate a price and it was a minefield with all the supplements etc

I would say they will have some sort of disclaimer in the small print that lets them fluctulate the price - though this doesnt help your case. Could you perhaps downgrade a little so you dont have to miss out on the hol?

LA

bellab
7th January 2008, 22:46
How do you know if its available?

I get up a holiday I like the look of and the list of dates and prices comes up. I then click select next to the dates I want and it says 'No Availability - We're sorry this holiday is no longer available'. I've clicked on soooooooo many and can't even find 1 thats available!!!

mum2-2girls
7th January 2008, 22:48
TBH i dont know how they get away with it - Have you actually got a brochure in front of you - how does the price compare? The last time i looked at an actual paper brochure was years ago but remember trying to calculate a price and it was a minefield with all the supplements etc

I would say they will have some sort of disclaimer in the small print that lets them fluctulate the price - though this doesnt help your case. Could you perhaps downgrade a little so you dont have to miss out on the hol?

LA

Thanks LA, other than going SC its the cheapest I have found. Though have to admit, Im not too great at searching for them. Before we had kids we used to go to the travel agent and just tell them when we wanted to go! How things have changed;)

mum2-2girls
7th January 2008, 22:54
I get up a holiday I like the look of and the list of dates and prices comes up. I then click select next to the dates I want and it says 'No Availability - We're sorry this holiday is no longer available'. I've clicked on soooooooo many and can't even find 1 thats available!!!

Oh yeah, same for me too, surely they have not completely booked at all of these hotels?

la60
7th January 2008, 22:59
BellaB - i think the site is having a moment - i just tried a couple and couldnt get any avail hols up

Mum - i wouldnt discount SC, since dd has come along i find them so much better than hotels - The fridge is such a godsend for having snacks and juice etc in for the kids - also get 2 rooms as opposed to one room in a hotel where the floor space completely taken up with put up beds:mad:

Let us know how you get on xx

bellab
7th January 2008, 23:00
Oh its working now!!! Was starting to wonder if they just didn't want me lol!!!

mum2-2girls
7th January 2008, 23:03
BellaB - i think the site is having a moment - i just tried a couple and couldnt get any avail hols up

Mum - i wouldnt discount SC, since dd has come along i find them so much better than hotels - The fridge is such a godsend for having snacks and juice etc in for the kids - also get 2 rooms as opposed to one room in a hotel where the floor space completely taken up with put up beds:mad:

Let us know how you get on xx

Good point, I was thinking more of how much more spending money I would need and other people waking the girls up at 3am in appartments!

bellab
7th January 2008, 23:12
Can anyone recommend who is best for holidays - Cosmos or Virgin. Cosmos seems to be cheaper but are Virgin holidays better?

la60
7th January 2008, 23:20
Mum - we have done 2 hotel hols with DD and always said never again (even after 1st hol!!:der:) Just didnt have room to swing a cat - Maybe we were just unlucky with the hotels. I also found it to be money saving in SC - we could have cereal/yogurts etc for brekkie, a quick sarnie for lunch when you just dont want to eat out - you cant do this in hotels... well maybe just with crisps and biscuits

Bella - Depends where you want to go - think the general consesus is Virgin for long haul - Cosmos for short haul. As with any hol company always check hotel reviews on holidaysuncovered or tripadvisor:)

lorraine
12th January 2008, 13:48
This is probably a dumb question, but can I pay a deposit in cash for the holiday then pay the rest in deals when I get the ones from the may statement??

lorraine
12th January 2008, 14:01
thx Floosy, rep coming your way!

Maldives
13th January 2008, 06:27
Friend had been keeping an eye on prices for Egypt, ?1291, when she called to book they told her it was ?1500 +.... so she didn't book.

I rang up half hour or so later, said I got a quote 2days ago and I was ready to book now, they said no problem, how much was the quote, ?1291 :D told them I was paying in deals and they said it's gone down now ?1289.. one very happy friend when I finished booking her holiday...

lorraine
13th January 2008, 08:10
Egypts where I'm looking at aswell, should I ring now and get a quote, or is it too early if the holiday is for Aug, and I'm holding out till the may statement

Maldives
13th January 2008, 08:28
You could get a quote, but as you are not looking to book til May, I doubt they would honour it...

mpet
13th January 2008, 22:51
I booked Egypt with Cosmos. The price I paid was the online price less online discount (if that makes sense). The difference was about ?200 for the holiday I wanted. Prices can change virtually daily, so if you are in a position to book (have you deal vouchers at hand) and the price looks good, book it:). I made the mistake of leaving it a few days until I had decided on dates and the price had gone up:(

littlemissnaughty
14th January 2008, 08:41
I thought you had to pay the brochure price for holidays and not the online price?

phonejacker
14th January 2008, 15:22
I thought you had to pay the brochure price for holidays and not the online price?

You have to pay the price shown online plus the discount shown in red beside it.

lorraine
19th January 2008, 13:59
just letting you know I found an geographical number for cosmos, instead of the rip off 0870. Number is 01612094761

jen
19th January 2008, 14:01
very helpful, have repped you.:)

GemLou
19th January 2008, 14:05
I know all about it - due to having to wait for November mailing which was late my flight cost ?200 extra each x 5 so an extra ?1000. Really p----ed off but couldn't do owt about is as already booked and paid deposit on hotel in Disney.

So hugs to us all - hope you get sorted out.