PDA

View Full Version : What should I get my Godson?

*debbie*
9th January 2008, 15:35
It is my Godson's 1st birthday soon and I'd like some suggestions on what to get him! :help: I can think of girl's presents, but not so good on boy's ones, I'd really love something I can add to as the years go by. I thought about a savings account, but know that I couldn't afford to give him much. And his big sister might get jealous too!

So I'd love some brilliant suggestions please, or even some less than brilliant ones, all the ideas I've come up with so far are toy based, so he wont be wanting to keep those for too long!

Thanks in advance....

jen
9th January 2008, 15:42
My DS's were given some large sized beatrix potter books by their godmother, even now they are grown up they remember the stories and would always keep the books. They were given them when they were very young, initially we would just look at the pictures and chat about the books, but even at 2 and three they loved the stories. We also have the poetry book 'Now we are 6' which again is a much loved classic.

caitlinsmummy
9th January 2008, 15:45
Hi debbie. My DD's godmother got her a bear from the build a bear place for her forst birthday and she adds to it every xmas or birthday with new accessories/outfits. Not sure how much a boy would like this or even how long it could last for but thought it might help xx

taffyswife
9th January 2008, 16:14
New winter coat or clothes - would get them in 2-3 years, so they can be worn next year.

Shimmer
9th January 2008, 16:56
My son loved the Brio wooden train set & always had the latest train added to it, christmas, birthday, easter. If he could keep it hidden away where his mates could'nt see it he would still play with it now!

Maldives
9th January 2008, 16:58
I bought my godson a pirate ship from bunnykins and a couple of the figures... he is now getting a figure for his birthday and chrismas for a couple, 7 figures in total... it's something that can be kept, but it's no cheap..... unless like me you get it in a half price sale...

jen
9th January 2008, 17:16
Another suggestion is duplo, quite expensive and you can add to it, when we have visiting children they play with it from 18 months to 11 years old!! Also I would second the brio, again very popular.

tree-top
9th January 2008, 19:31
Another suggestion is duplo, quite expensive and you can add to it, when we have visiting children they play with it from 18 months to 11 years old!! Also I would second the brio, again very popular.

I agree with Jen, Duplo is a fantastic gift. There is a special set for age 1's and then it can be added to. My youngest son is 21 months and he loves it. He chews it, throws it and even builds with it. There is a zoo set, airport set even Dora the Explorer, Winnie the Pooh and Bob the builder sets too.
My son has all the different Bob The builder sets and he loves them. Didn't buy them all from new either. Car boot sales are a great way to add to your collection and they are easy to wash too. Just pop all the pieces into a pillow case, tie with a scrunchie and stick it in the washing machine with a few towels to pad the drum and they come up like brand new.

Hope this helps

tyroleandancer
9th January 2008, 20:12

my 12 year old still plays with Duplo
it is a winter toy, comes down from the attic every October :)

how about this

http://www.terramundi.co.uk/?gclid=CPnT9JDu6ZACFQRRMAoduhJVQQ

*debbie*
9th January 2008, 22:06
Wow, thanks for all the ideas! A bit old-fashioned of me maybe, I think as a godparent I ought to get something with a religious hint to it. I got him a baby bible for a Christening gift and a book of prayers for Christmas, now I'm stuck!

He is the second child in the family, so has books coming out of his ears (I LOVE books and think no child ever has enough, but he has got bookshelves of them...), and the same with brio and duplo. He also is the 4th grandchild in the family, so has 'big toy' hand downs,so I'm struggling to hink of something original.

I like the terramundi idea, I can add to it every time I see him. Just have to find one suitable for a 1 year old that won't be horendous when he is 16!

Maldives
9th January 2008, 22:13
Terramundi pots are fab.......

Shimmer
9th January 2008, 22:19
How about flashy coin/stamp sets they do at the post office. Always a special theme with them, & you could save them up for when his 18. WOW they'd be really valueable then!

zoot
9th January 2008, 22:33
How about flashy coin/stamp sets they do at the post office. Always a special theme with them, & you could save them up for when his 18. WOW they'd be really valueable then!

Good idea but get them for the enjoyment not the value. My DH had first edition sets of stamps bought him for years when he was younger but they turned out to be worth very little when he had them valued.

*debbie*
9th January 2008, 22:35
Yeah, my Dad collected First Day issue stamps (or whatever they are called) for years until he had them valued a few years ago and worked out they had cost significantly more to buy them over the years than they are worth now.

tyroleandancer
9th January 2008, 22:38
A nativity scene would be a lovely gift. It could be brought out every Christmas

tree-top
9th January 2008, 22:41
[QUOTE=*debbie*;416171]Wow, thanks for all the ideas! A bit old-fashioned of me maybe, I think as a godparent I ought to get something with a religious hint to it. I got him a baby bible for a Christening gift and a book of prayers for Christmas, now I'm stuck!

What about a St Christopher or a Cross & chain? He could keep it and pass it on to one of his children in future?

zoot
9th January 2008, 22:42
Not a series of presents, just a one off, but an idea all the same! My Mum bought my 2 boys a Saint Christopher necklace for their christenings.

zoot
9th January 2008, 22:43
Tree top you beat me to it. We must have been typing at the same time!

Maldives
9th January 2008, 22:44
My godmother, who sadly passed away this year, bought me about 11 years ago a lovely nativity scene.....

This most definately was the best present she could have ever bought me, tears filled my eyes this year when I unpackaged it.....

God Bless my God Mum...

tyroleandancer
9th January 2008, 22:48
My godmother, who sadly passed away this year, bought me about 11 years ago a lovely nativity scene.....

This most definately was the best present she could have ever bought me, tears filled my eyes this year when I unpackaged it.....

God Bless my God Mum...

ah that's lovely Maldives

Willow Tree do a lovely nativity set, you could buy a piece every year:)

tyroleandancer
9th January 2008, 22:51
Willow Tree
http://www.willowtree.info/

tree-top
9th January 2008, 23:38
Tree top you beat me to it. We must have been typing at the same time!

he he he