PDA

View Full Version : Help! Dishwasher newbie advice - pretty please

CrystalTips
9th January 2008, 16:18
I am a very lucky gal in that I have a new dishwasher fitted. (only in a temporary position at the mo). It's brilliant, especially when you no longer have a kitchen sink!

I've been using the Finish all in one tablets that came with the machine & bought the a box of the same just before christmas. But these are expensive & wondered if you get the same results with other brands.

So heres the list of questions; :o

What do you use in your dishwasher for cleaning the dishes. Salt, rinse aid etc or all in one tablets?

Do you rinse off your plates & dishes before putting in the dishwasher?

What do you do with casserole dishes etc that have baked on food stuff?

Finally (thank goodness I hear you cry) does anyone recycle the waste water to use as grey water, for plants etc?

Thanks all.

CT x :love:

jackie_k_uk
9th January 2008, 16:24
I use the finish,finish quantum or fairy,Have tried the cheapies and didnt like the results..The quantum are half price in tesco at the mo..?3 something for 24..I try to stock up on them when they are on offer.
I also use tesco rinse and tesco salt..Hth :D

CrystalTips
9th January 2008, 16:36
Do you have to use the rinse & salt as well as the finish all in ones then?

jackie_k_uk
9th January 2008, 16:41
Do you have to use the rinse & salt as well as the finish all in ones then?

Sorry I'm not 100% sure on that one.I personally always have,Tesco own brand salt and rinse aid are good price so it's just something I always done.
Just every couple of weeks I throw in a bag of salt and every couple of days just top up the rinse.
Maybe someone else knows better.

jen
9th January 2008, 17:00
Well I have a water softener so don't add any salt. Because of the water softener you are supposed to use a phosphate free dishwasher powder but I just use tesco's own and use a smaller amount. But I ran out of rinse aid one day and forgot to buy some and to be honest didn't notice any difference so I never add any now.

I am afraid I am a bit anal and do get rid of any solid matter off plates eg rice, baked beans, only because I hate cleaning the filter and this is what you have to wash off the filter.

I don't find anything gets baked off lasagne or the likes I soak overnight and then wash the next day. Mind you I only do one load a day so I often wash a saucepan or two as well.

suzie3441
9th January 2008, 17:01
I use Fairy tablets and any cheap rinse aid and salt. I am lazy and don't rinse my dishes cause I think if I rinse them I might as well wash them up defeating the object but have to say results are not always that good but that could be because the machine is getting old.

obscure
9th January 2008, 17:48
I use Finish tablets and nothing else. Also, as I am such a slattern and the only one in the house I never rinse anything and there is often dried-on gunk on my plates etc. I have never had to rewash anything, so I would very much recommend the Finish tabs. Glasses are nice and shiney too. Only thing is that I am in a soft water area, might be different if water is harder.

suziq
9th January 2008, 17:58
hi, relative newby to dishwashers, i use tesco 5 in 1 tabs, and salt cos it's a well hard water area. v happy with results, tho baking tins etc i wash

Beccah
9th January 2008, 18:26
I use Tesco 5 in 1 tabs, rinse aid and finish dishwasher salt ( cause I can never find Tesco's own). Anything solid, I always scrape into the bin, but being a lazy cow, I think that rinsing the dishes defeats the labour saving object...so just bung them in!
With caserole dishes..a good soak in a sink of hot water and washing up liquid for a few hours, loosens everything so its a doddle to wipe over with a dish brush.

black cat
9th January 2008, 18:32
I use Tescos own brand salt and rinse aid but found the own brand tabs did not clean that well. Am currently using the fairy tabs as I had a extra points voucher for them and am very pleased with them.

Do not rinse anything before it goes in unless I really have burnt on food then I soak it for a bit first.

northantblue
9th January 2008, 18:49
I use finish 5 in 1, tesco salt and no rinse aid.
Did try the fairy ones but wasnt very pleased with the results.Never rinse prior to putting in dishwasher.
We live in a very hard water area so I put a dishwasher cleaner through about every 6weeks if I remember that is.

Betty Boo
9th January 2008, 19:13
I use Tesco salt and rinse aid and dishwasher tablets from poundland which have the same wrapping on as the Tesco dishwasher tablets.

I have also used Tesco washing powder (for clothes) when i ran out of tablets. (couldn't stand the thought of washing up).
Did just as good a job tho! (but probably not recommended by Zannussi.)

shopsomemore
9th January 2008, 19:18
I use whatever block or squishy ones are on offer/points - no rinse aid or salt - not really sure what they are for?? Never tried the power stuff or washing powder-lol. But I do notice a difference between the cheaper and more expensive ones. More expensive being somehow better. Now and then I chuch a wee bit of washing up liquid in though - again probably not recommended but I find it cleans the insides a bit.

ruthie
9th January 2008, 19:18
Finish Classic for me usually, its at the cheaper end of the Finish range but think it scored best in the Which? tests. I also use salt and rinse aid, but have the rinse aid on the lowest setting. I leave dishes in for 2 or 3 days as there's only 2 of us, and rarely have a problem with stuff left on dishes. Egg can be a bit stubborn sometimes, but that's about it. Don't rinse dishes, just scrape of chunky bits into bin first.

I've just started using the Ecover tablets to try and be a bit more eco friendly, so far so good, but have only done a couple of washes, so can't comment fully yet.

CrystalTips
9th January 2008, 19:22
Thanks all.

Floosy, I did think about trying these but wondered about the effect v the cost, so thank you.

Still not sure about the 3 separate items v the all in one though, may have to do a "Tomorrows World" kind of experiment.

Do you need to add salt as well as all in one tablets. I'm in a soft water area.

Thanks for the help so far. CT x

Maldives
9th January 2008, 21:03
In soft water areas, you should not need to add salt..

I'm in a hard water area. I use tesco salt & rinse aid... and finish or fairy tablets which ever is on offer, stock up when there are real good prices around. I do rinse my plates, but that's because I have a waste disposal... and I do soak baked on stuff if I remember..

Every 6 weeks or so I put in a finish cleaner, keep the dishwasher fresh.... oh I use a lemon deo finish thing too....

rainbow
9th January 2008, 21:21
I just use whatever I fancy, usually whatever is on offer at the time. I do use rinse aid and salt, but only put it in every couple of months or so when I remember. Another thing I'd mention is to try not to pack in too much as the water doesn't seem to circulate so well, and you can be left with some dishes needing another wash.

CrystalTips
10th January 2008, 14:01
Thanks everyone for all you help. CT x

catgirl03
10th January 2008, 20:14
I'm I the ony one who using the Tesco Value Tablets?? These work great in my machine and I only ever use the 40 wash (30mins) I do rinse most things
first. If Fairy lemon are on offer I do buy them because they smell nice.
Tesco Salt and Rinse Aid.

Maverick
14th January 2008, 16:29
I am a real moneysaver I use tesco value and half a tablet at that, and mine all comes out sparkling clean, I dont rinse first.

I may use a whole tablet if I have some really dirty dishes. And I just use the quick cycle too.

janedoe
14th January 2008, 17:13
I use Aldi's ?2.99 for a box of 40, I used the finish ones when I had a couple of different points vouchers for the same product and found that they didn't clean as well as the Aldi ones and they left some blue slimy stuff coming out of the tablet dispenser thing. So I vote for Aldi ones.