PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Buy Train Tickets Frequently?

sullieb
9th January 2008, 19:38
I have just booked a break to London next month and have looked at train prices via thetrainline, I just wondered do train tickets become more expensive or cheaper the longer you leave them to buy?

I don't really travel by train much so am not gemmed up on this sort of thing - anyone have any advice? Buy now or hold out?

Thanking you in advance!

bargainsneeded
9th January 2008, 19:41
hya try looking for an apex booking if you can be specific about dates and times then usually these are your best option, the general rule is the earlier you book the better the saving.:)

bargainsneeded
9th January 2008, 19:41
also go on national rail enq place in your journey details and look at their options

deviouslysarcastic
9th January 2008, 19:52
Some of the CB sites have money back on tickets
e.g Quidco has thetrainline 1%

davidgh
9th January 2008, 20:01
hi
Recommend you look at moneysavingexpert.com for travel tips including good discounts

tyroleandancer
9th January 2008, 20:08
Are there children travelling with you?
if so look at getting a family railcard :)

dune
9th January 2008, 20:11
they also have tickets at ?1 each from machester to london
they usual on hotukdeals

djl1963
9th January 2008, 20:13
Are there children travelling with you?
if so look at getting a family railcard :)

It depends where you are going. It was 60p cheaper by not using railcard for me and my daughter recently. Luckily I hadn't bought the railcard, so do check first.

tyroleandancer
9th January 2008, 20:14
It depends where you are going. It was 60p cheaper by not using railcard for me and my daughter recently. Luckily I hadn't bought the railcard, so do check first.

thanks hadn't realised that :)

boysmum
9th January 2008, 20:16
Look on pigsback, I had to order 100 pounds worth of tickets and got 50 pounds worth of points back and they showed in 24 hours

Grace & Favour
9th January 2008, 20:46
Look on pigsback, I had to order 100 pounds worth of tickets and got 50 pounds worth of points back and they showed in 24 hours

From whom did you buy the rail tickets boysmum? - I can't seem to find a link on the pigsback . . . . .

boysmum
9th January 2008, 20:49
It was south west trains, just click it into there search and this is what comes up

South West Trains
Half your fare back with South West Trains!

Grace & Favour
9th January 2008, 20:54
It was south west trains, just click it into there search and this is what comes up

South West Trains

Aaah! - Thanks boysmum - - unfortunately I'm not in the SW - but there are a good few members on here that are!!!!

deviouslysarcastic
9th January 2008, 21:17
Have you seen the rail saver banner (http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=B5pHJnCuFR5jhGY2wjgKo35jkBsXG2zT5s53ZBMCNtwHw9R IQARgBIMyC8wU4AFCZg7Py_v____8BYLuO0IPgCqABgezS_gOq AQo2Nzc2Mzg3NDczsgEUd3d3LnBhaWR0b3Nob3AuY28udWu6AQ k3Mjh4OTBfYXPIAQLaATlodHRwOi8vd3d3LnBhaWR0b3Nob3Au Y28udWsvc2hvd3RocmVhZC5waHA_dD0yNDM4OCZwYWdlPTKAAg GpAvKVZhNajYM-qAMByAMF6AOPBugDEugDvwHoA8QF9QMEAQAA&num=1&ggladgrp=5567798264108458573&gglcreat=2710026889528119421&adurl=http://www.railsaver.co.uk/index.shtml&client=ca-pub-5289289080789884&nm=2) which has appeared on pts?

Not sure of the savings, but worth a look.

Raffles
9th January 2008, 22:21
1. Inter-City train tickets come on sale 12 weeks prior to travel date

2. In general, they start cheap and become more expensive. In rare cases, some cheap tickets can be added in later if it turns out that a train is emptier than expected, but this is substantially less common than with the airlines.

3. Do NOT book on trainline.com because of the credit card fee. Use the website of any of the other train companies - most of which use the trainline system - instead. It doesn't matter if you are travelling with that train company or not. The quidco cashback doesn't even begin to cover the credit card fee that trainline.com adds.

4. The pigsback 50% cashback promo is for SouthWest Trains only

5. Some inter-city routes can be found cheaper at megatrain.com. This is only for routes covered by SouthWest Trains, East Midlands Trains and Virgin Trains (I think).

6. When booking, always look at the price of two singles instead of a return. This is often cheaper. Also look out for good first class deals. My Mum came down from Sheffield to London this week and first class was ?3 more expensive on the outbound. ?3 got her a bigger seat, an almost empty carriage, a free newspaper and wine and cake served free at her table. At weekends, though, you often don't get food, drink or newspapers included in a first class seat.

7. moneysavingexpert.com has a long article on split ticketing. This is where it is cheaper to buy two tickets instead of one (instead of Sheffield-London, buy Sheffield-Bedford and Bedford-Luton). This is quite a complex area and is generally only effective if you are travelling on the cusp of peak time. However, it can work well and I've done it myself.

jen
9th January 2008, 22:21
I have just booked a break to London next month and have looked at train prices via thetrainline, I just wondered do train tickets become more expensive or cheaper the longer you leave them to buy?

I don't really travel by train much so am not gemmed up on this sort of thing - anyone have any advice? Buy now or hold out?

Thanking you in advance!

Definitely book them as soon as you can, my DS's have both been at uni and sometimes they can literally go up ?10 overnight. Try pricing your journey as two singles, sometimes this can be cheaper, we have always found using a railcard to be cheaper, but do not delay!

Santaliki
10th January 2008, 17:32

South West Trains

Your journey does not have to be on South West Trains! Try entering details of your journey and I expect you can go ahead and buy it. It has worked for me on Chiltern Rail journeys!

sullieb
11th January 2008, 00:56
Big thanks to all of you - have sorted myself out and have booked them!