PDA

View Full Version : Airmiles for cruises?

sahararose
12th January 2008, 23:07
I've been looking on the Airmiles site, and my favourite cruiseline - Ocean Village - are available, so I'm considering having that as my next big target.

My question please - where does it tell you how many airmiles you need to convert for holidays? All I can see is the Zones etc for flights.

I've looked all over the site - I must be having a blonde moment/day/week.

xx

sammybear
12th January 2008, 23:59
hi Sahararose,

you will need to phone them as you cant book cruises on the website. They do price match any travel shop(so make sure you remind them of this), so you wont pay any more than anyone on the high street !! and you can use your airmiles to pay for all or part of the cost, depending on how may you have, hope this helps, :)

chirpy007
13th January 2008, 08:35
I found out yesterday that Virgin are doing more cruises and i think Island were on their list, the site is seperate from the main one so i am going to ring to see if you can book with deals.

If you want to look at it, its virginholidayscruises.co.uk :D:D

i really hope they do :clap2::clap2::clap2:

DaisyChain
13th January 2008, 10:58
Have only had a quick look at the Airmiles website but it doesn't seem to read as if you can actually pay for the Cruises with airmiles just things like upgrades and onboard credit

Does anyone know better ?

sammybear
13th January 2008, 11:05
Have only had a quick look at the Airmiles website but it doesn't seem to read as if you can actually pay for the Cruises with airmiles just things like upgrades and onboard credit

Does anyone know better ?

Yes you can pay for any cruise with any company with Airmiles either in full or part miles and part cash - and Yes they do price match :)

sammybear
13th January 2008, 11:07
I found out yesterday that Virgin are doing more cruises and i think Island were on their list, the site is seperate from the main one so i am going to ring to see if you can book with deals.

If you want to look at it, its virginholidayscruises.co.uk :D:D

i really hope they do :clap2::clap2::clap2:
I dont think virgin are doing this at the moment chirpy, i know they have took onboard another t/o but i dont think they are included (just yet )with use with deals ..........hopefully they will be in the next year or so though :confused:

S

navara
13th January 2008, 11:20
you can pay for any holiday with airmiles at a rate of 1000 airmiles =?60 so 10000 airmiles would give a discount of ?600 off a cruise

DaisyChain
13th January 2008, 12:39
At ?2.50 in ClubCard points for 60 Airmiles then its ?42.50 for 1020 Airmiles which gives you ?60 off your holiday when the same amount would give you ?170 when converting to Deals
So you get less than 1.5 x value compared to 4 x for Deals?

Have I got this right because it doesn't look very attractive at all ? You would get more on EBAY for the deals and could shop round with cash

ConfusedShopper
13th January 2008, 12:59
At ?2.50 in ClubCard points for 60 Airmiles then its ?42.50 for 1020 Airmiles which gives you ?60 off your holiday when the same amount would give you ?170 when converting to Deals

Have I got this right because it doesn't look very attractive at all ? You would get more on EBAY for the deals and could shop round with cash

I can't seem to understand how converting them to airmiles is the best option either but maybe I am a bit confused by it all:der:

navara
13th January 2008, 15:16

Your calculations are right it's better to use deals if you can but you have more choice with airmiles but you can pick up bargins i have just been looking at booking for malta Flights and 5 star spa hotel 7300 miles plus ?150 so you need to check for good deals

sammybear
13th January 2008, 20:39

Your quite right DaisyChain.

I think both deals and airmiles have pros/cons. I will use an example which i came accross recently on a holiday.

Cust looking to book to Barbados for 2 weeks,holiday with Virgin was ?2, 700. So thats what it would cost with Virgin using your deals vouchers.

Cust phones Airmiles and asks for a price match as the same holiday is on offer with Thomas cook travel shop for ?1, 850 !!
Airmiles will book the holiday for this price as they price match on holidays and cruises.:)

So when you look at it this way, virgin wont budge on the price, you have to pay full price, but with Airmiles you get it cheaper and can use your converted Airmiles to pay for it.( In this case it was ?850 different :eek:)

I think its trial and error and playing the system, and what works for one person may not work for another ;)

I have used all of them for different holidays(virgin, airmiles,xl and cosmos) i just figure out whats best for me and have to put little cash to it.

hth

sahararose
13th January 2008, 22:41
Thanks for all the advice -having read it all I agree - airmiles is really not a great option for converting Tesco vouchers, but at least I guess it gives you the flexibility that you don't get when booking with deals partners. I'm glad that some of you knew/read the conversion rate for holidays - that's the info I couldn't find!!

Many, many thanks.

xx

ruthie
16th January 2008, 12:37
You can get an Ocean village cruise with Virgin anyway, I'm just looking at them now.

daveoc
16th January 2008, 15:28
You can get an Ocean village cruise with Virgin anyway, I'm just looking at them now.

Last time I looked Virgin Cruises were not part of the Clubcard deals---have they now added them as I will use them for my next holiday if they have?

dave

Poppyfields
16th January 2008, 16:52
Hi I booked my forthcoming cruise via airmiles ... they had a promotion on at the time that was 500 miles = ?500 pounds off per cabin.... they told me they quite often do this promotion.... hope that helps a little

flyer
18th January 2008, 16:19
Hi I booked my forthcoming cruise via airmiles ... they had a promotion on at the time that was 500 miles = ?500 pounds off per cabin.... they told me they quite often do this promotion.... hope that helps a little

Wow! That's a good deal. Who did you phone?

sahararose
21st January 2008, 10:01

really????? that would be wonderful. Love their ships.

joaniemerc
21st January 2008, 14:54
I recently looked into booking a cruise with Virgin (and posted my findings on another thread, sorry can't remember which one) and you can only book the cruises that are listed in the "Virgin Holidays" brochure, I think mainly US and Caribbean.

You can't use Clubcard vouchers with "Virgin Cruises" at the moment. Apparently Virgin has bought a cruise company/agency and it's not currently set up to use vouchers but probably will be in the future.

dogfish
22nd February 2008, 22:51
Does anyone know if Virgin now accepts deals for Ocean Village please? Thanks!

chirpy007
23rd February 2008, 07:39
So just to clarify (:confused::confused:;)) I find a holiday/cruise that I want and price it up, I then contact airmiles to price up the same and then get them to price match. Do they do all the holidays then or do I have to see what they offer first.

I then order AM in the usual way and send off blah blah :D sounds like this option may suit me.

sammybear
23rd February 2008, 08:08
So just to clarify (:confused::confused:;)) I find a holiday/cruise that I want and price it up, I then contact airmiles to price up the same and then get them to price match. Do they do all the holidays then or do I have to see what they offer first.

I then order AM in the usual way and send off blah blah :D sounds like this option may suit me.

Morming Chirpy, yes thats correct. Airmiles is a full Travel Company (just like going in first choice or Thomas Cook etc) so yes you can book any major tour op holiday :)

S

chirpy007
23rd February 2008, 12:09
Morming Chirpy, yes thats correct. Airmiles is a full Travel Company (just like going in first choice or Thomas Cook etc) so yes you can book any major tour op holiday :)

S