PDA

View Full Version : Free flights (almost)

zaqwert
20th January 2008, 14:00
Join BMI diamond club and get 9000 free miles - enough for a return flight to europe (pay tax and chatges)

I'm already a member, but now so is everyone else in the house :D

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/reward-schemes/diamond-club/diamond-club.aspx?&LinkID=4686

99redballs
20th January 2008, 16:01
thanks op have a rep!

Raffles
20th January 2008, 16:42
You are crazy to redeem your 9000 miles for a free flight to Europe.

Instead, get the free BMI credit card (another 20,000 free miles). That gets you to 29,000 miles.

You only need 25,000 for a 'cash and miles' free flight to the US, South Africa, Caribbean etc in Economy. The cost will be 25,000 miles plus 170 cash plus tax.

Alternatively, try this. Sign up yourself and get the credit card. Then buy 20,000 more miles for 240 - you can buy miles by going onto the BMI website and looking under 'online shopping'. You then have 49,000 miles. Spend 667 on the credit card to get an extra 1,000 miles - so you have 50,000 in total.

You then have enough miles to fly FIRST CLASS (yes, first class) to pretty much anywhere in the world under 12 hours flying time - US, Caribbean, Canada, Mexico, Africa, Middle East etc. The total number of miles needed is 50,000 + 255 cash + tax (less for the Middle East).

BMI doesn't have first class anymore but you can redeem on Lufthansa which does. Lufthansa still serves caviar in first class and, if you connect in Frankfurt, they drive you from the lounge across the tarmac to the foot of the plane in your own private Mercedes. All the other passengers are then stopped from boarding until you have got on and taken your seat. (This is totally true - I've done it myself. You feel bad for a couple of seconds as all the other passengers are held back for you, but the feeling soon passes!!)

Now THAT is something worth doing .... and it will cost you under 700 (240 to buy the extra 20k miles, 255 for the cash part of the redemption and c200 in taxes). You would pay around 500 for an economy ticket to Cape Town or San Francisco, and this option lets you do it in First Class for not much more. If you don't want to travel on your own, its easy enough for your partner to do the same thing.

Grace & Favour
20th January 2008, 17:19
Raffles - you are brilliant squire!:D

Instead, get the free BMI credit card (another 20,000 free miles). That gets you to 29,000 miles.

You only need 25,000 for a 'cash and miles' free flight to the US, South Africa, Caribbean etc in Economy. The cost will be 25,000 miles plus 170 cash plus tax.

Alternatively, try this. Sign up yourself and get the credit card. Then buy 20,000 more miles for 240 - you can buy miles by going onto the BMI website and looking under 'online shopping'. You then have 49,000 miles. Spend 667 on the credit card to get an extra 1,000 miles - so you have 50,000 in total.

You then have enough miles to fly FIRST CLASS (yes, first class) to pretty much anywhere in the world under 12 hours flying time - US, Caribbean, Canada, Mexico, Africa, Middle East etc. The total number of miles needed is 50,000 + 255 cash + tax (less for the Middle East).

BMI doesn't have first class anymore but you can redeem on Lufthansa which does. Lufthansa still serves caviar in first class and, if you connect in Frankfurt, they drive you from the lounge across the tarmac to the foot of the plane in your own private Mercedes. All the other passengers are then stopped from boarding until you have got on and taken your seat. (This is totally true - I've done it myself. You feel bad for a couple of seconds as all the other passengers are held back for you, but the feeling soon passes!!)

Now THAT is something worth doing .... and it will cost you under 700 (240 to buy the extra 20k miles, 255 for the cash part of the redemption and c200 in taxes). You would pay around 500 for an economy ticket to Cape Town or San Francisco, and this option lets you do it in First Class for not much more. If you don't want to travel on your own, its easy enough for your partner to do the same thing.

zaqwert
20th January 2008, 17:56

Much more of an expert than me :p

jen
20th January 2008, 18:45
Raffles, thanks for another excellent post.
I am sure I have read somewhere that people can give away their diamond club miles, exactly how do you go about doing this?

Raffles
20th January 2008, 21:50
You cannot give them away but you can ring up and book a flight for someone else using your miles

jen
20th January 2008, 21:59
Thanks, I had been planning to sign up half my family to the diamond club!

Raffles
21st January 2008, 10:11
Thanks, I had been planning to sign up half my family to the diamond club!

Remember that the person whose name is on the account is the one whos credit card is needed to pay for the taxes on the flight - so will need the co-operation of the person who you sign up!

One clever way to play this is to sign up family members and then book a one-way flight for yourself on one persons miles and a one-way back on someone elses. This allows you to fly twice as far - eg Russia in business class (and its a very good business class service on that route) on BMI is 9,000 miles each way plus a bit of cash.

shopaholic2
21st January 2008, 11:44
[QUOTE=Raffles;432625]Remember that the person whose name is on the account is the one whos credit card is needed to pay for the taxes on the flight - so will need the co-operation of the person who you sign up!

One clever way to play this is to sign up family members and then book a one-way flight for yourself on one persons miles and a one-way back on someone elses. This allows you to fly twice as far - eg Russia in business class (and its a very good business class service on that route) on BMI is 9,000 miles each way plus a bit of cash.[/QUOTE

Does the person whose name the account is in have to have a BMI credit card to pay for the taxes or will any credit/debit card be enough? My parents don't have a BMI credit card but are happy for me to open a BMI Diamond club account. Will I still be able to use their miles?

marmaliser
21st January 2008, 12:05
Having trouble signing up here, keep getting server down after completing the forms

jen
21st January 2008, 13:06
Having trouble signing up here, keep getting server down after completing the forms

Keep going, did 4 people last night and kept crashing but worked in the end.:):)

jen
21st January 2008, 13:19
Remember that the person whose name is on the account is the one whos credit card is needed to pay for the taxes on the flight - so will need the co-operation of the person who you sign up!

One clever way to play this is to sign up family members and then book a one-way flight for yourself on one persons miles and a one-way back on someone elses. This allows you to fly twice as far - eg Russia in business class (and its a very good business class service on that route) on BMI is 9,000 miles each way plus a bit of cash.

Raffles, you are brilliant!! Mind you I am looking at the maldive business class with qatar airlines so need a few more miles for OH and I. This is somewhere a bit hard to get to using my amex 241 with BA.
I was reading on flyertalk that they are limiting the amex bmi card to one per household now with regard to the 20,000 bonus. So with regard to buying miles, as I understand it the member is limited to 20,000 per annum himself and then is able to buy another 20,000 for someone else. So am I correct in thinking that if I had the 9,000 miles from the signup, then I could buy 20,000 miles myself then my husband could buy me the balance to make up to 37,500 needed for qatar business class. He would have 20,000 miles from the credit card, 9,000 from the Diamond club sign up, so only need to buy 8,000 for himself. Even with buying the miles this still looks excellent value as the business class ticket are about 4500 for the pair.

Alternatively I could try and get my mum signed up for a credit card in her name and give me the points, will work on that one.:)

zaqwert
21st January 2008, 13:22

I think BMI are struggling (as usual) to cope with volume of traffic. I would leave it until later and try again.

Raffles
21st January 2008, 21:29
Does the person whose name the account is in have to have a BMI credit card to pay for the taxes or will any credit/debit card be enough? My parents don't have a BMI credit card but are happy for me to open a BMI Diamond club account. Will I still be able to use their miles?

They can use any credit card, not just the BMI one - so, yes, you can use their miles

Raffles
21st January 2008, 21:30
Raffles, you are brilliant!! Mind you I am looking at the maldive business class with qatar airlines so need a few more miles for OH and I. This is somewhere a bit hard to get to using my amex 241 with BA.
I was reading on flyertalk that they are limiting the amex bmi card to one per household now with regard to the 20,000 bonus. So with regard to buying miles, as I understand it the member is limited to 20,000 per annum himself and then is able to buy another 20,000 for someone else. So am I correct in thinking that if I had the 9,000 miles from the signup, then I could buy 20,000 miles myself then my husband could buy me the balance to make up to 37,500 needed for qatar business class. He would have 20,000 miles from the credit card, 9,000 from the Diamond club sign up, so only need to buy 8,000 for himself. Even with buying the miles this still looks excellent value as the business class ticket are about 4500 for the pair.

Alternatively I could try and get my mum signed up for a credit card in her name and give me the points, will work on that one.:)

Not sure how the gifting works but, yes, I think you can buy 20k for yourself and receive 20k more as a gift

Credit card - if you apply for the premium credit card (60 fee) you could 24,000 miles instead of 20,000. You also get Blue Plus status in the BMI scheme, which gets you free food when flying on BMI flights in economy. This reduces the miles you need to buy to 4,000.

jen
21st January 2008, 23:09
Thanks again Raffles.

s879
22nd January 2009, 07:13

Have been reading through these useful posts and trying to grasp as much as possible. A few questions, if someone could help please. We are two adults, one child above 2 years and one infant. I am interested in travelling to the US, east coast. I don't work anymore, thanks to the kiddies :) and hence, don't think will qualify for the CC. If my OH gets the free BMI credit card, with 20,000 bonus and 9,000 for signing up and follows the rest of the procedure, in case he doesn't travel with us, will i be able to book a ticket in my name? Or does he need to add me as a joint holder? also, when people here have said that they have signed up their whole family for the diamond club, can i signup each of us for the 9,000 bonus? Do the miles go into one household account as otherwise, what use will they be if my OH has enough for the flight but we all have 9,000 each IYSWIM. Also, is it realy worth it for us or will it be cheaper some other way. I don't want to go the BA AMEX 2 for 1 route. If experts like Raffles can shed some light, i would be very grateful as i need to travel within 6 months, can be may to august but the tickets vary a lot in price. Would prefer to go in july/august if the taxes are the same but usually for those two months the fares are very high.

Raffles
22nd January 2009, 10:43
In your situation, I don't think its worth the trouble. (I'm asuming you're looking at Economy travel, yes?) Fares to the US East Coast are unbelievably low this year, and when you take out the taxes and fuel surcharges I have seen base fares of as low as 87 to New York (albeit 300 with the taxes etc). My best guess is that airlines will be virtually giving away the seats by the Summer as no sensible person is going to go on holiday to the US with the potentially heading for 1:1.25 with the $ (although of course some Americans will take advantage by heading over here).

Since BA and BMI miles still require you to pay the taxes, the saving is going to be pretty small and not worth the trouble.

Raffles
22nd January 2009, 10:48

Maldives.

I just came back yesterday.

Best routing with Diamond Club is LHR-SIN-MLE. This is a standard redemption so, if you use 'cash and miles' you need fewer miles than a Qatar redemption would need. (I know LHR-SIN-MLE is a long way but this is the only Star Alliance routing that exists.)

If you can get the seats, I would try something like LHR-ZRH-SIN-MLE with LHR-ZRH-SIN on Swiss First Class and SIN-MLE on Singapore Airlines. This is a Z1-Z10 redemption so is only 50,000 DC miles each in First Class if you use 'cash and miles'. You will be downgraded to Business Class for SIN-MLE as there is no F on this route I think.

(The reason I suggested using Swiss is because a) Lufthansa doesn't allow 'cash and miles' in First Class, b) Singapore Airlines does not allow First Class redemptions on its new A380s which fly most of the London routes and c) Swiss First Class has an excellent reputation and seats are normally available.)

If you want to go to Maldives on a BA 2-4-1, your options are Doha, Dubai, Singapore or Bangalore using BA and then paying for an onward connection.

s879
22nd January 2009, 10:49
thanks Raffles. Will Rep shortly. In case we go down the First class route that you mentined in the post i quoted, could you please answer the questions whether we need to take out one or two of these credit cards etc. that i have asked. just want to know the whole picture and then decide.

Raffles
22nd January 2009, 10:57
Let's assume you use Business Class.

3 seats (you'd be going LH via Frankfurt or Munich or Swiss via Zurich) will be 37,500 BMI miles + 210 + taxes, multiplied by 3. You are simply not going to get to 112,500 miles via the credit card sign-ups and miles purchases.

In any event, it is exactly the same number of miles to the US West Coast as the US East Coast, even though West Coast is more than twice the flying time. Even if I had the miles in your position, I would be thinking about saving them for a West Coast trip in the future when I would get a lot more benefit. New York is easy in Economy if you take a day flight.

s879
22nd January 2009, 11:04
Let's assume you use Business Class.

3 seats (you'd be going LH via Frankfurt or Munich or Swiss via Zurich) will be 37,500 BMI miles + 210 + taxes, multiplied by 3. You are simply not going to get to 112,500 miles via the credit card sign-ups and miles purchases.

In any event, it is exactly the same number of miles to the US West Coast as the US East Coast, even though West Coast is more than twice the flying time. Even if I had the miles in your position, I would be thinking about saving them for a West Coast trip in the future when I would get a lot more benefit. New York is easy in Economy if you take a day flight.

Thank again. Have tried repping you but it says i need to rep other members before repping you again. Will try a few days later.

Maverick
22nd January 2009, 11:20
Where do you book redemption bookings, any one got a link, and is it true only one CC per addy?
There is no quidco on BMI cards, I am Guessing?

Raffles
22nd January 2009, 14:12
No quidco

You need to ring up to book any redemptions not on BMI planes, which is 99% of them since the BMI network is rubbish. There is a tool on the All Nippon Airways (ANA) website which lets you see which flights are available for rewards, so then its simply a matter of ringing them up in Bangalore and telling them the exact dates and flights and class you want.

More details here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/867325-bmi-faq-no-3-bmi-credit-cards-amex-small-business-visa-defunct-mastercard.html

and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/882941-bmi-faq-no-4-redemptions-finding-award-seats-ana-online-tool-masterclass.html

and indeed
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/738249-new-diamond-club-faq-everything-newbie-couldnt-posssibly-know-yet.html

Maverick
22nd January 2009, 14:22
Thanks Raffles, Now I want to go to the BVI, but would like to fly first in Lufty, I am presuming Antiguia is my best hub, and that is a BMI route, so what routing would be the best?

Maverick
22nd January 2009, 15:42
It now says you have to take a BMI flight to qualify for the 9000 miles.
Also just rung Diamond club and have been informed that the miles plus cash option is no longer available for Lufty first class! Damm!

Raffles
22nd January 2009, 17:56
Go to staralliance.com and use their online timetable. This shows you pretty much every conceivable route.

Apparently you can do BVI from SJU (San Juan in Puerto Rico) which seems to be easy to get to from the UK with a change in the US or Canada.

'Cash and miles' on LH First Class was pulled (at LH's request) about 6 months ago. Still available on all other *A airlines in F, though, as well as LH business class. BMI purposely refuses to adjust their award chart to reflect this, though.

mummytotwo
22nd January 2009, 18:11
I have been looking at this.

thinking of getting the 9000 miles for joining then getting 20000 each for a visa card? Is that right so far or can I only get one card per household.

Also read this
To qualify for a free flight, one return bmi operated flight (or two one-way flights) must be taken before 31 March 2009.

does this only relate if I wanted the Europe flight?

trying to work this out in my head but not sure if I am thinking straight. If we were to go anywhere we would probably be taking our DS 5 and DD3.

Maverick
22nd January 2009, 18:51
Looking at it, it looks like for me, the best option could be just to fly biz with BMI to Antiguia (looks ok:p and then fly local, (LIAT) on from there, PITA that the flights are ex manchester though, and depending on when I decide to go, apparently they are scrapping this route come April? May be just as its off season, Im not sure, the other alternative may be to fly us or UA via the states, not sure what their F soft product is like.

Maverick
22nd January 2009, 18:52
Mummy looks like you have to take a flight to be awarded the 9000 miles, when I joined it was 4.5k joining I seem to recall?

mummytotwo
22nd January 2009, 18:56
I thought that you got 9000 miles for joining. God I get so easily confused.

Raffles
22nd January 2009, 18:57
I thought that you got 9000 miles for joining. God I get so easily confused.

Used to, no longer ...

mummytotwo
22nd January 2009, 19:01
Thanks for that- :D

Raffles
22nd January 2009, 19:01
I have been looking at this.

thinking of getting the 9000 miles for joining then getting 20000 each for a visa card? Is that right so far or can I only get one card per household.

The 20,000 is 'once per customer', see http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/diamond-club/diamond-club/diamond-club-partners/bmi-credit-card.aspx

Nothing, apart from credit considerations, stopping you and your partner applying for one each.

mummytotwo
22nd January 2009, 19:12
So say I get 40,000 The 20000 (pay 240)you mention then buy 20000 would be ok.
Return Flight in Zone 7 = 10000 = 70 so for first class would be 20000 + 140

So I could go to Singapore for 140 and taxes first class.

What am I missing?

Raffles
22nd January 2009, 22:51
UK is Zone 1, Singapore is Zone 7. So, using the chart here :
https://www.flybmi.com/bmi/src/html/diamondclubhowtospendmiles.html
you'll see that Z1 to Z7 is 40,000 plus 270 plus taxes in Economy. Business is 60,000 plus 405 and First is 80,000 plus 540 plus taxes. All return.

However .... you can cheat with Singapore. Book it as two one-ways. On the outbound, book London - Singapore (long stopover) - Maldives. This counts as a Zone 1 to Zone 10 redemption which is only 25,000 plus 170 plus taxes in First Class (outbound leg only). Obviously you never turn up for the Singapore to Maldives leg. For the inbound, book Singapore to Tel Aviv or somewhere else in Zone 5, routed Singapore - London - Tel Aviv. Again, this is 25,000 miles plus 170 plus taxes (inbound leg) for First Class. Obviously you don't turn up for the Tel Aviv flight.

mummytotwo
22nd January 2009, 23:03
That makes sense. Was reading the table wrong :wrong:

Thank you so much Raffles for your time. I really appreciate it.

Maverick
23rd January 2009, 20:31
Sometimes Raffles you are a Genius! Which airline would that be for those Singapore legs?

Raffles
23rd January 2009, 21:09
Sometimes Raffles you are a Genius! Which airline would that be for those Singapore legs?

Easiest options are Lufthansa (either via Frankfurt or Munich, they do both) or Swiss via Zurich. Swiss still allows First for 'cash and miles' unlike LH. You can probably also use EgyptAir via Cairo or Turkish via Istanbul but ......!

I have, by the way, booked this afternoon LON-MUC-SIN-MLE for 50,000 miles in F one way, with no intention at all of flying SIN-MLE. It saves 30,000 miles, though! I'll have hand baggage so no problem with baggage going to Male, but if I did have a suitcase I would simply have made SIN-MLE a few days later in order to get my bags back at SIN.

Maverick
23rd January 2009, 21:16
Great worth looking in to who would the return be with, via Tel aviv?

lrb76
23rd January 2009, 22:17
Hi all

I'm new to airmiles (of any sort) - I need a new obsession to replace Clubcard points. Just a question regarding the flight needed to gain the 9000 bmi miles. Do you think that I could book the cheapest 2 single flight legs, not turn up the flights and still qualify for the 9000 points? Would this be financially worthwhile? I think cheapest single is around 25 inc tax so 50 total. If you had to put a value on 9000 DC miles what would it be?

Just re-read and as 20000 miles costs 240 the value of the 9000 exceeds the flight costs. I would still appreciate any thoughts on whether you think this would work.

I'm trying to get my head around it all and must say am in awe of Raffles extensive knowledge!

Thanks in advance for any help

99redballs
24th January 2009, 00:36
Easiest options are Lufthansa (either via Frankfurt or Munich, they do both) or Swiss via Zurich. Swiss still allows First for 'cash and miles' unlike LH. You can probably also use EgyptAir via Cairo or Turkish via Istanbul but ......!

I have, by the way, booked this afternoon LON-MUC-SIN-MLE for 50,000 miles in F one way, with no intention at all of flying SIN-MLE. It saves 30,000 miles, though! I'll have hand baggage so no problem with baggage going to Male, but if I did have a suitcase I would simply have made SIN-MLE a few days later in order to get my bags back at SIN.

blimey raffles! are you retired?? how many flights have you got booked this year? -(sorry to be so nosey:D)
i'm up to 45600 miles on my bmi account, bmi sounds quite lucrative, or is the ba amex card best (the blue one)? i have both (also tesco visa) which one should i be using ??:confused:

99redballs
24th January 2009, 00:38
Hi all

I'm new to airmiles (of any sort) - I need a new obsession to replace Clubcard points. Just a question regarding the flight needed to gain the 9000 bmi miles. Do you think that I could book the cheapest 2 single flight legs, not turn up the flights and still qualify for the 9000 points? Would this be financially worthwhile? I think cheapest single is around 25 inc tax so 50 total. If you had to put a value on 9000 DC miles what would it be?

Just re-read and as 20000 miles costs 240 the value of the 9000 exceeds the flight costs. I would still appreciate any thoughts on whether you think this would work.

I'm trying to get my head around it all and must say am in awe of Raffles extensive knowledge!

Thanks in advance for any help

food for thought, would be nice:D wait for raffles to find out;)

Maverick
24th January 2009, 14:19
The BA Amex is better in that it issues you a 2 for 1 as long as you reach spend criteria effectively doubling the reward. But not everywhere takes Amex obviously so its good to have both.

Raffles
24th January 2009, 16:01
food for thought, would be nice:D wait for raffles to find out;)

No, won't work. You need to take the flight.

Raffles
24th January 2009, 16:04
blimey raffles! are you retired?? how many flights have you got booked this year? -(sorry to be so nosey:D)
i'm up to 45600 miles on my bmi account, bmi sounds quite lucrative, or is the ba amex card best (the blue one)? i have both (also tesco visa) which one should i be using ??:confused:

As with all things ... it depends where you want to go, who with and when.

BMI, via its Star Alliance partners, has substantially better availability than BA to most places, especially Asia. However, it is more of a pain for North America because you always end up changing in Germany or Switzerland to get to New York, whilst BA would go direct.

BMI miles are tricky to collect apart from the card sign-up if you don't fly with your job. BA Miles can be got via Tesco of course.

lrb76
25th January 2009, 01:02
Many thanks. Would both the seats have to be in my name if I booked two single returns do you think, or just booked by me through my account? If the latter then it's two flights to Manchester and a virgin 1 return. If option one i'll have to rethink. :der:

No, won't work. You need to take the flight.

Raffles
25th January 2009, 11:02
Many thanks. Would both the seats have to be in my name if I booked two single returns do you think, or just booked by me through my account? If the latter then it's two flights to Manchester and a virgin 1 return. If option one i'll have to rethink. :der:

You can book BMI reward tickets for anyone you want from your account.

The flights you take to get the 9000 bonus miles - and I assume you have just joined DC now since this is only for new members - need to be in your name and you need to fly them.

lrb76
25th January 2009, 20:33
thanks for the info - will rethink our travel plans :)

You can book BMI reward tickets for anyone you want from your account.

The flights you take to get the 9000 bonus miles - and I assume you have just joined DC now since this is only for new members - need to be in your name and you need to fly them.

shopaholic2
26th January 2009, 23:24

Am I missing something or would you not need to use Singapore Airlines to do this? Doesn't it add up a heck of a long way to get to Male and how come they don;t charge you Singapore redmeption rate? I am intrigued - would love to book this for next year.

Raffles
27th January 2009, 10:20
BMI Miles are redeemable against any Star Alliance airline (United, Air New Zealand, Thai, Singapore, Austrian, Swiss, Egyptian, Croatian, All Nippon etc). Out of about 15 redemptions I have done with BMI, only 1 was on a BMI plane!

Yes, it is a long way to get to Male (which is why we went via Dubai for cash when we went). However, this is the ONLY possible routing to Male using Star Alliance airlines, which is why BMI allows it for a redemption and why it opens up a loophole for getting to Singapore cheaply as long as you book a one-way going out.

(Coming back, of course, it doesn't work work, since you need to start your return in Singapore. However, there is a different trick which is book to somewhere like Cairo or Tunis in Zone 3 and book SIN-LON-CAI (or SIN-FRA-LON, SIN-MUC-LON, SIN-ZRH-LON etc) getting off in London! Again, this is 50k in F as opposed to the standard 80k (or 25k in F as opposed to 40k if you use 'cash and miles').

I saw this morning that Air Asia is now offering one-way cash tickets to Kuala Lumpur with connections onwards, for around 200. You could therefore get the BMI credit card for the 20,000 free miles, get down to Singapore in Business Class one-way for 18,750 miles plus 200 plus tax (using the Male trick above) and then pay for a 200 Air Asia economy ticket back via Kuala Lumpur.

shopaholic2
27th January 2009, 12:42
Thanks for this Raffles - donlt you mean zone 5 rather than 3 though?. Sorry to ask another question but if we actually wanted to go to Male and to have a stopover in Singapore ie book LON/MAN to Male via Singapore. Could we then do a return Male- Singapore - Zone 5 country - LON/MAN or would it involve a direct flight between Singapore and zone 5 country rather than via LON/MAN? Presumably on the way back you would make LON/MAN your "stopover" and just wouldn't take the last leg? Do you have any idea what business class taxes would be one way to Male?

Raffles
27th January 2009, 16:33
Stopover in Singapore on the way is not a problem and doesn't cost any extra miles. It is still booked as one ticket.

Coming back is trickier. You need to persuade BMI to let you book SIN-LHR-Cairo / Tunis etc instead of them trying to make you take a direct flight to Cairo or go via Germany instead. It can be done, though - I've done it myself.

Taxes - easiest way to check taxes is to do a dummy booking on Expedia. It will show you the taxes when you click through. It will be about 300, though, which includes the 80 UK Air Passenger Duty and 100 of fuel surcharge.

oyster
27th January 2009, 16:57
Raffles,

As cash & miles can't be used by LH for F class, what's the best BMI Miles option for using the FCT?

Raffles
27th January 2009, 17:32
Raffles,

As cash & miles can't be used by LH for F class, what's the best BMI Miles option for using the FCT?

Theoretically, a LON-FRA-ZRH-XXX routing, where ZRH-XXX is a Swiss flight in F, which would still get FCT access. However, it seems LH is going to ban transfer passengers (ie anyone not starting in FRA) from using the FCT when the new lounges open in Feb - see the Miles & More forum on Flyertalk.

Alternatively, if FCT was your main objective, probably a LH F flight to Cairo or somewhere else in the region which is a low mileage destination.

shopaholic2
27th January 2009, 22:02
Stopover in Singapore on the way is not a problem and doesn't cost any extra miles. It is still booked as one ticket.

Coming back is trickier. You need to persuade BMI to let you book SIN-LHR-Cairo / Tunis etc instead of them trying to make you take a direct flight to Cairo or go via Germany instead. It can be done, though - I've done it myself.

Taxes - easiest way to check taxes is to do a dummy booking on Expedia. It will show you the taxes when you click through. It will be about 300, though, which includes the 80 UK Air Passenger Duty and 100 of fuel surcharge.

Thanks for this Raffles.

holliemon
26th February 2009, 14:51
Can I ask a question - if you get the BMI credit card can you link the air miles up to the ones you get from Shell Garage or change over from your tescos clubcard deals.

navara
26th February 2009, 15:00
Can I ask a question - if you get the BMI credit card can you link the air miles up to the ones you get from Shell Garage or change over from your tescos clubcard deals.

No keep reading:D

Raffles
26th February 2009, 17:32
No, totally different schemes. However, its well worth getting the BMI card anyway - the 20,000 free miles are good for a one-way Business Class flight to the US or a one-way First Class ticket to Dubai (on the BMI 'cash and miles' scheme). You can buy a cheap one-way economy ticket back!

holliemon
26th February 2009, 17:34
No keep reading:D

That made me smile

holliemon
26th February 2009, 17:35
When I looked at the webiste there were two credit cards to choose between which is the best one to get

navara
26th February 2009, 17:44
When I looked at the webiste there were two credit cards to choose between which is the best one to get
More reading (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/867325-bmi-faq-no-3-bmi-credit-cards-amex-small-business-visa-defunct-mastercard.html)

holliemon
26th February 2009, 19:50
You also earn 3 miles per for the first six months of the LH Amex card, instead of the usual two. This opens up an additional bonus miles opportunity, whereby in the sixth month you make a massive purchase of fully flexible flights (10k worth if you have a 10k credit limit) and then immediately refund them after the month end. You should gain 10,000 miles for nothing, since the purchase would earn 30,000 miles but the refund in month seven (no bonus miles anymore) would only remove 20,000. I will let you know if this works in March 2009!"

Have read and ordered two cards one for me and one for OH.

The first paragraph really baffles me -LF amex card how do you get hold of one of these and is it a credit card too. This is going to be a long and slow understanding.

I think I lke bootsing

holliemon
26th February 2009, 19:56
Another question sorry - do you get a booklet saying where you can spend air miles is it just flights or ferries too.

navara
27th February 2009, 09:35
Another question sorry - do you get a booklet saying where you can spend air miles is it just flights or ferries too.

With airmiles you get a quarterly booklet and statement email newsleters or it's all on the website (http://www.airmiles.co.uk/)

hoochi
11th March 2009, 22:44
can anyone tell me how long you have to spend your airmiles do they expire after 12months or something
also after reading and more reading still don know if its worth it or if iv got it right but 5 of us to usa thats zone 4, 15000 plus 100 so would be 60000 and 500, double if i include return or 30000 points so 150000 each way so this wont really benefit me will it, daft question but im looking for clarification iv read it right

navara
12th March 2009, 09:26
can anyone tell me how long you have to spend your airmiles do they expire after 12months or something
also after reading and more reading still don know if its worth it or if iv got it right but 5 of us to usa thats zone 4, 15000 plus 100 so would be 60000 and 500, double if i include return or 30000 points so 150000 each way so this wont really benefit me will it, daft question but im looking for clarification iv read it right

They only expire if you don't add to them all flights zones are return I believe.

srlewis11
1st April 2009, 23:08
do you need your own buisness to sign up as it says to enter buisness name and address during registration? can anyone help please. thanks sarah

moonriver
1st May 2009, 17:12
just considering signing up for the BMI diamond club. Does anybody know if there are any extra points on sign up now or have I missed the boat again? I see earlier on in the thread there were bonuses of 20000miles and 9000 miles per person available