PDA

View Full Version : 'Unconfirmed' Address

Beej
13th December 2006, 16:54
I have sold an item on Ebay, the buyer has no feedback and looks to have just set up an Ebay account. They have made an immediate payment thru Paypal but the address on Paypal is showing as 'unconfirmed'. I have sent an email asking them to confirm their address and will post the item Recorded delivery so it has to be signed for. Should I be concerned?

SuzyWoo
13th December 2006, 16:59
As far as I can remember, by getting them to confirm their address you are doing exactly as paypal ask, so you should be OK.

Is it an expensive item?

Kacruzer
13th December 2006, 17:02
I think you should be ok with this. I had an unconfirmed address for ages, it never gave me any problems untill I hit my spending limit then I had to confirm it, that took a week. I think this must be a new user and we all start from some where. You are pushing all the right buttons by sending your item recorded.

ChickenCottage
13th December 2006, 17:25
I'd say nearly have of my buyers have unconfirmed addresses

Filthy Monkey
13th December 2006, 18:36
I'd say nearly have of my buyers have unconfirmed addresses

Nearly 'have'? Is that an Irish term for 50%!? :D

Stop thinking about me, woman, and concentrate on what you're writing!! ;)

Beej
13th December 2006, 19:20
Thank you everyone for your replies. Suzy the item is for 60 and that amount has been credited to my Paypal account, she has also paid extra for next day delivery. Just think I needed a little re-assurance from all you 'experts'.

Beej
14th December 2006, 00:12
I had just packed up this item and had it ready to post in the morning having not had any response from the buyer. I have just received an email from Paypal saying:-

"It has come to our attention that you may be the recipient of
potentially unauthorised funds. We have initiated an investigation into this
event. In the meantime, we have placed a temporary hold on the funds in
question until the investigation is complete. This temporary hold will
show as a deduction in your available balance. In the meantime, you are
free to continue transacting using your PayPal account."

They have asked me not to send the goods and to send an email with the following information:-

"1. The item, service or purpose of the purchase, and the associated
value.
2. The name and address given to you by the sender (if an item was
purchased);
3. If posted, the company used for postage, date of postage, and
tracking number for the delivery.
4. Details of any other transactions related to the transaction(s) in
question;
5. A phone number where you can be reached during the day and evening;
and
6. Insurance information, if applicable."

Has anyone else had this?

tyroleandancer
14th December 2006, 00:28
I had just packed up this item and had it ready to post in the morning having not had any response from the buyer. I have just received an email from Paypal saying:-

"It has come to our attention that you may be the recipient of
potentially unauthorised funds. We have initiated an investigation into this
event. In the meantime, we have placed a temporary hold on the funds in
question until the investigation is complete. This temporary hold will
show as a deduction in your available balance. In the meantime, you are
free to continue transacting using your PayPal account."

They have asked me not to send the goods and to send an email with the following information:-

"1. The item, service or purpose of the purchase, and the associated
value.
2. The name and address given to you by the sender (if an item was
purchased);
3. If posted, the company used for postage, date of postage, and
tracking number for the delivery.
4. Details of any other transactions related to the transaction(s) in
question;
5. A phone number where you can be reached during the day and evening;
and
6. Insurance information, if applicable."

Has anyone else had this?

firstly are you sure it is from ebay. did you receive it in an email? If you go into your Ebay page is there a copy of the message in your message folder?

I have had 2 emails this week very similar they were spoof emails and not from Ebay/paypal.

If it is def from ebay I can't help but I'm sure chick can

Beej
14th December 2006, 00:31
Yes that was something that concerned me but the email is from Paypal and not Ebay. I will look at my Paypal account and see if there is anything in there.

Beej
14th December 2006, 00:33
It is showing in my Paypal as first the money received and then there is a Temporary hold on the amount so it looks like it is legit.

tyroleandancer
14th December 2006, 00:34
It is showing in my Paypal as first the money received and then there is a Temporary hold on the amount so it looks like it is legit.

no idea then sorry. Hopefully chick will help you out :confused:

Beej
14th December 2006, 00:36
no idea then sorry. Hopefully chick will help you out :confused:

Thats what I was hoping, not to worry, I haven't lost anything, I still have the goods.

ChickenCottage
14th December 2006, 01:28
Bit of a bummer, Beej.
I'd say your email is legit enough, sounds ok to me and your account backs up the content. (always log in yourself though and dont click an email link)

I had this reversal happen a few times and most of the time the money doesn't ever get authorised. Although there has been a couple of occasions where the buyers have been adamant everything was ok and paypal were in the wrong to hold the payment.
The best route would be to contact the buyer and suggest a cheque or postal order, because those pending things can drag on forever.

You're lucky you haven't dispatched the goods, the horrible thing is that they can slap these reversals on you ages later..I had one where the item was paid through paypal, item posted, everything grand, feedback left by both of us and paypal 2 months later slaps on a reversal and takes the funds back off me! Nothing I could do about it, because I had no proof that I'd posted it (as it was a 15.00 top to Spain and not worth th extra that sending recorded delivery to outside UK would have cost) and you need proof of despatch to qualify for paypals protection scheme.

Beej
14th December 2006, 09:42
Thanks for that Chicken, I knew you would be able to help. I did go into my Paypal account without using the link so I'm happy it is legit. I was a little suspicious when I didn't get any replies to my emails. I will contact the buyer again and suggest they send me a postal order as a cheque will take too long to clear.

SuzyWoo
14th December 2006, 11:38
Thank goodness you hadn't posted it out! 60 would be a lot to lose.

Mamzie
14th December 2006, 23:00
Whew, you were lucky not to have posted it, I'm glad you haven't lost out.

Beej
20th December 2006, 18:27
Another question, I am selling an item on a 1 day auction, promising next day delivery. I have bids from 2 people with no feedback, 1 who only opened the account today and the other has a note saying they had used another name previously. Can I check out this previous name, I can't find anything on Ebay hat helps, also can I refuse bids off people?

Thanks to anyone who reads this and can help, I hope you're not all too busy getting ready for Christmas but after my last experience of a bidder with 0 feedback I am being very cautious.

Gizmos
20th December 2006, 18:33
if you click on the icon next to the name you should be able to see ID history

Beej
20th December 2006, 18:48
There is no history for one as s/he only joined today and the other one has a previous User ID which is what I wanted to check out.

ChickenCottage
20th December 2006, 19:42
To check their ID history go into advanced search, top right hand corner of ebay and then search by buyer.

If you want to cancel off a bid that you don't like
click here:
http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CancelBidShow

Beej
20th December 2006, 19:46
OK call me thick if you want but I can't find a way to search by buyer, it all seems to relate to sellers as if I was try to buy.

ChickenCottage
20th December 2006, 19:49
click advanced search top right hand corner.

and then
http://members.aol.com/chickencottage1/ebayy.jpg

Beej
20th December 2006, 19:57
Yeah I found that but I'm not getting any more information except that one bidder only joined today and the other has been a member since 9 Dec and prior to that was a member from 10 April to 9 Dec but under another name.