PDA

View Full Version : French Life holidays

happywelshshopper
26th January 2008, 22:31
Got about ?600 in clubcard deals so was thinking of using them for a holiday in France. We didn't want to travel too far south as got two young boys, so was thinking of Brittany/Normandy in May or June- has anyone got any recommendations on nice apartments / villas they have stayed in?

Also looking at brochure, some places give a 15% discount if book before end of February - is this valid if I use CC deals?

Thanks in advance

baconbap
26th January 2008, 23:48
There's also Individual travellers for places in france with clubcards.

fluffybunny
26th January 2008, 23:54
we stayed at the Cote De Nacre in Normandy and it was lovely!

http://www.frenchlife.co.uk/uce/fl?action=readParentDetails&cottageParentId=421191&startdate=&duration=&sleeps=4&propertyTypeId=4

tikal73
27th January 2008, 00:03
Got about ?600 in clubcard deals so was thinking of using them for a holiday in France. We didn't want to travel too far south as got two young boys, so was thinking of Brittany/Normandy in May or June- has anyone got any recommendations on nice apartments / villas they have stayed in?

Also looking at brochure, some places give a 15% discount if book before end of February - is this valid if I use CC deals?

Thanks in advance

I have been with French/Camping life twice and are going again this year. We went to Brittany first year. Great camp site, lots for kids to do etc. I can recommend them. Very good value too I think in comparison with Eurocamp/Siblu etc.
No, the brouchures discounts don't apply when booking with deals !! :(
Also, the basic price must be over ?500. This includes a basic ferry crossing. ie Dover to Calais. We were happy to pay extra for the Poole to St Malo crossing, but our basic price still had to be over ?500.
For this year we are going to Italy - with Camping Life and I've actually ended up booking more nights than we intend staying, purely to get me just over the ?500 mark!! All paid for in deals.
My kids were 2 and 3 when we went to Brittany, wouldn't have wanted to drive much further with them either!! So is a good choice I think depending on your two's ages.
If you are into camping, definitely consider the tents. They are fab! Kids love it as they get to meet the other children nearby and play out. The tents come with electric lighting and fridges and stoves. Even get proper beds with matresses! Love it.
Still can't believe that Mr T has/is paying for our last three family hols!
Good luck happy welsh shopper!

pumpkin
27th January 2008, 14:29
we stayed in this one in Brittany a couple of years ago

http://www.frenchlife.co.uk/uce/fl?action=readParentDetails&cottageParentId=421203&startdate=&duration=&sleeps=4&propertyTypeId=4

and it was fab! I think it is one of the more expensive ones, but if you have enough deals to pay for it, I'd say its definitely worth it. loads for the kids to do onsite, including a farm and pony trekking, cycle hire , nice swimming pools etc

Just noticed you want an apartment or villa, sorry we stayed in a caravan

We went in June and it was very very hot, but i think that was exceptional that year

As for the price, I think you might be entitled to get the discount, but as ever, best to phone and check

Found booking with French Life quite easy generally.

Have a good time :)

rach109
27th January 2008, 21:15

Thanks in advance

no, you wont get the discount when using deals :(

Coupon-madder
27th January 2008, 21:46
Thought I'd add my questions & bump this thread a bit for other opinions from those who have been to France on holiday. I never have (except on a school exchange a hundred years ago!) but we are on the South coast so it would only be a hop across the channel or a flight from Gatwick for us.

I was looking at Villas or apartments with French Life too but can't decide! Definitely not camping (OH doesn't like the idea) nor caravans (we've done that enough and our teenagers make it a 'squash & a squeeze' even in a large caravan for a fortnight).

Neither of us has ever driven on the right, is France as good a place as any to start? I thought maybe yes as the Motorways might be a bit emptier than in Britain and then there would be lots of country roads which would be quite nice to drive along? Do we even need to take our car, and if so should we stick to Brittany or Normandy as happywelshshopper suggests? If we go further south with a car, what about the Motorail as mentioned on French Life's site or is it v expensive?

We need to go in August (I know it's the most expensive time but we have Deals to cover over ?2,000 of it and no other time we can go due to OH's work). We are a family of 2 adults and 4 kids aged 15, 13, 10 and 7.

Many thanks for any further comments and thanks for starting this thread, hws!

jen
27th January 2008, 23:00
We have been to Benodet in a gite and ile de re camping, highly recommend both of them, one big advantage is that the sea is noticeably warmer on the ile de re, which is about half way down the west coast of france, sea in benodet is cold like Cornwall! The roads are empty compared to the uk, driving really we found fairly easy you soon get used to driving on the right. Sorry I don't know if you can do these places through deals but would assume they would have accommodation as they are both biggish tourist centres.

Coupon-madder
28th January 2008, 00:10
Many thanks jen, have a rep. :clap2:

rach109
28th January 2008, 17:42
Thought I'd add my questions & bump this thread a bit for other opinions from those who have been to France on holiday. I never have (except on a school exchange a hundred years ago!) but we are on the South coast so it would only be a hop across the channel or a flight from Gatwick for us.

I was looking at Villas or apartments with French Life too but can't decide! Definitely not camping (OH doesn't like the idea) nor caravans (we've done that enough and our teenagers make it a 'squash & a squeeze' even in a large caravan for a fortnight).

Neither of us has ever driven on the right, is France as good a place as any to start? I thought maybe yes as the Motorways might be a bit emptier than in Britain and then there would be lots of country roads which would be quite nice to drive along? Do we even need to take our car, and if so should we stick to Brittany or Normandy as happywelshshopper suggests? If we go further south with a car, what about the Motorail as mentioned on French Life's site or is it v expensive?

We need to go in August (I know it's the most expensive time but we have Deals to cover over ?2,000 of it and no other time we can go due to OH's work). We are a family of 2 adults and 4 kids aged 15, 13, 10 and 7.

Many thanks for any further comments and thanks for starting this thread, hws!

Driving is so much better / easier in France than the UK ( according to my hubby lol)

maybe think what you want out of a holiday ,whats important to you ? then have a browse through all the areas and see what fits :)

then look on www.tripadvisor.com for any reviews / forums :)

Coupon-madder
29th January 2008, 11:59
Thankyou rach! It all looks quite tempting, as do the various French Center Parcs. Not sure now.

Pumpkin, I can't get your link to work? Can you post the name of the place you stayed so I can have a look at it too?

Our kiddies like to visit adventure parks, zoos etc (definitely nothing scenic, no old castles!). Apart from Parc Asterix and Disneyland - which I guess we'd have to stay quite close to Paris for - are there any other fun touristy things to do in other regions of France, that they would recommend for a family with 2 under 10 and 2 teens?

Sorry to appear so clueless but we really don't know France at all but would like to!

pumpkin
29th January 2008, 15:05
Pumpkin, I can't get your link to work? Can you post the name of the place you stayed so I can have a look at it too?

how bizarre, it seems to have disappeared overnight :confused:

I think its called the Grande Meridian - or something similar, just next to the Standing Stones at Carnac in Brittany

Sorry :)

rach109
29th January 2008, 16:12
Thankyou rach! It all looks quite tempting, as do the various French Center Parcs. Not sure now.

Our kiddies like to visit adventure parks, zoos etc (definitely nothing scenic, no old castles!). Apart from Parc Asterix and Disneyland - which I guess we'd have to stay quite close to Paris for - are there any other fun touristy things to do in other regions of France, that they would recommend for a family with 2 under 10 and 2 teens?

Sorry to appear so clueless but we really don't know France at all but would like to!

TBH we find enough to do on / around the site,keeps our sons happy :)

and its quite nice to have a few quieter days, after the madness of Disney ! :)

Coupon-madder
29th January 2008, 16:26
TBH we find enough to do on / around the site,keeps our sons happy :)

and its quite nice to have a few quieter days, after the madness of Disney ! :)

Just what we were thinking when I chatted with OH about it just now. We are now wondering about staying somewhere nearish to Disney for a few days to do the Disney & Paris touristy thing, then back to a nice parc (not caravans or tents though) - maybe the Center Parcs at Normandy.

Taking our own car on the car ferry I suppose, does this all sound feasible, thanks for any opinions!

rach109
29th January 2008, 17:06
Just what we were thinking when I chatted with OH about it just now. We are now wondering about staying somewhere nearish to Disney for a few days to do the Disney & Paris touristy thing, then back to a nice parc (not caravans or tents though) - maybe the Center Parcs at Normandy.
Taking our own car on the car ferry I suppose, does this all sound feasible, thanks for any opinions!

thats exactly what we are doing this time ( august)

apartments near Disney for 3 nights then onto center Parcs to relax / recover !! :)

best of both worlds i think :)

we are going by eurotunnel ( usually do the ferry) all included in the frenchlife price using deals :)

Coupon-madder
29th January 2008, 22:33
Whoaaa, spooky! See you there then rach, if we go ahead!

We are definitely going on our hols in August, just haven't booked it yet so not 100% sure where. OH may still decide to drop some random different idea into the discussion over the weekend, knowing him. :)

tajk
1st March 2008, 22:32
I phoned French Life today for a quote staying at aparthotel near Disneyland Paris for 5 nights in August. The quote was for ?600 but I never asked if ferry crossing was included. Does anybody know if the ferry crossing is included in all quotes. Thanks

rach109
2nd March 2008, 08:54
I phoned French Life today for a quote staying at aparthotel near Disneyland Paris for 5 nights in August. The quote was for ?600 but I never asked if ferry crossing was included. Does anybody know if the ferry crossing is included in all quotes. Thanks

it should be yes,then if you want to go by tunnel instead you pay an extra ?24

HTH

:)

tajk
2nd March 2008, 12:56

tajk
2nd March 2008, 13:32
Just phoned French Life again. I think they are about the worst company I have ever dealt with. Yesterday I was given a quote of ?600 yesterday for 5 nights in August. I just phoned up again and was given a quote of ?625 for the same nights. Neither of these quotes include ferry crossing. It will be ?765 inc ferry and over ?800 inc insurance OUCH just for 5 nights in a small apartment for 4 people. They were soooo slow, I was on the phone over 15 mins just to obtain a quote.

Does anybody know if Siblu do any accommodation near Disneyland Paris? Thanks

rach109
2nd March 2008, 16:25
Just phoned French Life again. I think they are about the worst company I have ever dealt with. Yesterday I was given a quote of ?600 yesterday for 5 nights in August. I just phoned up again and was given a quote of ?625 for the same nights. Neither of these quotes include ferry crossing. It will be ?765 inc ferry and over ?800 inc insurance OUCH just for 5 nights in a small apartment for 4 people. They were soooo slow, I was on the phone over 15 mins just to obtain a quote.

Does anybody know if Siblu do any accommodation near Disneyland Paris? Thanks

their website and CS are quite pants i have to admit! no one seems to know what they are doing !! :rolleyes:

that does seem expensive,but it is aug and prices do take a hike :(

this siblu site : http://www.siblu.com/france/paris_loire_valley/la_croix_du_vieux_pont.php is an hours drive away from DLRP

they used to do les Etangs Fleuris which is 20-30 mins drive away, but it seems to have disappeared off their site :confused: :(

frenchlife still do it http://www.chooseacottage.co.uk//webparts/part_search_results.asp

tajk
3rd March 2008, 08:11
Thanks Rachel :)

4sure
3rd March 2008, 21:39
their website and CS are quite pants i have to admit! no one seems to know what they are doing !! :rolleyes:

that does seem expensive,but it is aug and prices do take a hike :(

this siblu site : http://www.siblu.com/france/paris_loire_valley/la_croix_du_vieux_pont.php is an hours drive away from DLRP

they used to do les Etangs Fleuris which is 20-30 mins drive away, but it seems to have disappeared off their site :confused: :(

frenchlife still do it http://www.chooseacottage.co.uk//webparts/part_search_results.asp

We stayed at Berny riveiere - can recommend it - large site but nice

We've also tried Les Etangs Fleuris - didn't like that - much smaller - few amenities - middle of no-where !

Obviously the point is to use tesco deal vouchers - but if you are tempted to save those for something else and just pay cash - I can recommend venue holidays

http://www.venueholidays.co.uk/
we stayed with them in the alps (& at Berny riveiere) and they are MUCH cheaper than all the competition - ?500 for a week in alps in July as opposed to ?900 with Canvas or Eurocamp

rach109
3rd March 2008, 22:50
We have stayed @ Berny twice,we love it and will definitely return :)

wow thats some saving !! never heard of venue ,will take a look :)

Kina
4th March 2008, 22:35
We're looking at doing the couple nights at Disney/then onto CP in May time.

Can anyone give me an idiots guide to what campsites to go for that aren't silly driving distances? I'm a complete novice when it comes to this type of hols, but I think we'd be looking at going via Eurotunnel.

Thanks in advance!

rach109
5th March 2008, 08:16
We're looking at doing the couple nights at Disney/then onto CP in May time.

Can anyone give me an idiots guide to what campsites to go for that aren't silly driving distances? I'm a complete novice when it comes to this type of hols, but I think we'd be looking at going via Eurotunnel.

Thanks in advance!

this accom,that a few of us have booked / stayed at
is the closest to Disney ,its an aparthotel : http://www.frenchlife.co.uk/uce/fl?action=readParentDetails&cottageParentId=387732&startdate=&duration=&sleeps=4&propertyTypeId=3

or theres this site Les Etangs Fleuris 20 - 30 min drive away from Disney :
http://www.chooseacottage.co.uk//webparts/part_detail.asp?pId=LD950&iso_country_code=FR&regionId=IDF&propertyType=&party_size=4&maxSleeps=&AccomodationOnly=

HTH

Kina
5th March 2008, 10:10
Anyone know if I can use the leftover Virgin vouchers towards booking with French life etc?

Kina
5th March 2008, 11:47
Just rang FL and got a quote for the recommended aparthotel near DLP for April. He'd stayed there and said you don't need your car once you arrive because of the free transport to DLP, which sounds like a bonus :D

We're going to go just their for 4 nights, got a quote of ?555, plus ?56 for the Eurotunnel and ?26 for their insurance which covers CC deals.

Going to order my deals tonight :D

rach109
5th March 2008, 19:58
Just rang FL and got a quote for the recommended aparthotel near DLP for April. He'd stayed there and said you don't need your car once you arrive because of the free transport to DLP, which sounds like a bonus :D

We're going to go just their for 4 nights, got a quote of ?555, plus ?56 for the Eurotunnel and ?26 for their insurance which covers CC deals.

Going to order my deals tonight :D

:clap2:

we are still going to drive,as the shuttles are always full / not very reliable from what ive been told ? :(

we are buying annual passes so get to park for free @ Disney though

?56 for the tunnel ? those of us who booked a little while ago, paid an extra ?24 for the tunnel :confused:

when are you going ? :D

Kina
5th March 2008, 23:01
After looking at driving time of 4.5hours from Devon to Folkestone it was decided that the tunnel was out.
Then we considered Butlins, I ordered deals, then checked trip advisor and have hastily decided against that idea!!
So now thinking of booking the accomodation and then booking some cheap local flights (?280 for the 4 of us for the dates we're looking at). Not sure how this will go down with FL though.

Plus need to ring clubcard in the morning and change my deals if poss. What a mare!!

rach109
5th March 2008, 23:14
:(

its a 4 hr drive for us to the tunnel too

we tend to stay overnight nearby,cheapy travelodge or similar
then travel early the next morning :)

numpty
6th March 2008, 16:56
I'm looking at doing this too!

I have never changed so many CC vouchers at one time, any tips???

rach109
6th March 2008, 20:56
fab,where you wanting to stay ? near Disney ?

i ordered mine from 2 accounts

and just left a day inbetween ordering

numpty
6th March 2008, 21:00
Yes Rach, looking at the same u have booked!
I have ordered the first lot! How much did u change at at time? I did ?430 deals worth, Hope thats okay!

rach109
6th March 2008, 22:27
Yes Rach, looking at the same u have booked!
I have ordered the first lot! How much did u change at at time? I did ?430 deals worth, Hope thats okay!

it was about ?150 on each ( so ?1200 in deals total)

numpty
14th March 2008, 22:50
OMG I have booked came too ?1600 with everything, paid ?1200 in deals
got 3 nites near disney the 7 at centre parks!:clap2::clap2:

rach109
14th March 2008, 23:13
woo hoo :clap2:

thats fab news,when are you going ?

x

numpty
14th March 2008, 23:20
end july DP and centre parcs first week in aug ! yay!

rach109
15th March 2008, 13:10
end july DP and centre parcs first week in aug ! yay!

:clap2: just before us then :)

we leave the UK on Fri 8th Aug

numpty
15th March 2008, 13:28
I'll let you know how it goes!

rach109
15th March 2008, 14:20
thank you :D

x