deviouslysarcastic
1st February 2008, 23:10
Anchor Inn, Beer, Devon.

fatherjack
1st February 2008, 23:56
I take it u had a good weekend ds?

Maverick
2nd February 2008, 09:07
I have been looking at that Inn for a few years, can you tell us more?

deviouslysarcastic
3rd February 2008, 13:36
Beer is a very small picturesque coastal village on the south coast.

The Anchor Inn is one of three hotels in the village,
but is the only one which looks directly down the slipway onto the pebble beach.

So if you are lucky enough to get a sea view you'll get to see the sun rise (http://deviouslysarcastic.picturepush.com/showformat.php?format=1024&id=391446) across the bay.

Frequented by the local fisherman, the Inn has a bar, 2 lounges and a restaurant.
All reasonably priced for its location.

It has about 9~10 rooms taking up the 1st & 2nd floors.
About average. No complaints.

It's not a hotel for people who find stairs difficult.
It's an old building so there is no lift.

On the to-do list, there is not much in Beer unless you like walking.
It is a quiet, almost serene place, apart from the morning chorus of the seagulls.

There are coastal paths in either direction which will lead you
to the next town or village. Both afford spectacular photo oportunities.

Although it is a seaside village there is non of the tat shops which
sell beach balls and silly seaside crap. Which is a good thing.

Eating out: 1 x Fish & Chip shop, 1 x Indian, 1 x Restaurant, 2 x Hotel Restaurants.
Drinking out: Barrol O' Beer Pub, Dolphin Hotel Bar. [Good for local ciders & Otter real ales]

The landlord was quite lively and keen to talk about how great the village is.
We were told that the summer months get booked up WELL in advance.
We could see why. The weather for us was 3 days of warm sun (in January!).

There is a note on the website (http://www.anchorinn-beer.com/) to say that there is limited parking.
This is correct as the Hotel does not have its own carpark. [The Dolphin does BTW]
However there are 3 P&D car parks in the village, 2 of which hold 100+ cars, and 1 which holds 10.
The smaller one is right next to the Anchor Inn. One of the others is only 2~3 minutes walk away.
In the winter no-one checks the pay and display carparks so we were lucky.
In the summer this is not the case.
I think if you wanted to park over night a 24hr ticket would be ?2.40.
You also have to realise that these car parks will FILL up during hot summer weekends when people flock to the beach.

I think that's enough for now. Unless someone wants any more specific info.

[some more photo's here (http://deviouslysarcastic.picturepush.com/album/12633/p-Beer.html). Click each to enlarge]

hydro
3rd February 2008, 14:23
Do they allow dogs do you know?

deviouslysarcastic
3rd February 2008, 14:36
Unfortunately, they do not. :mad:

hydro
3rd February 2008, 14:58
:d44: what a pity.

Maverick
3rd February 2008, 17:00
Thanks for that, shame about the pookers, I took mine to the last old english inn I stayed at, had to pay a tenner extra.

Maverick
3rd February 2008, 17:02
Lovely pics, for those of you not wanting to use your deals, on the Old english Inns website they do some FANTASTIC late deals room prices slashed dramatically.

dancingqueen2
4th February 2008, 09:46
Can I ask..is it child friendly? I'm looking for somewhere to use my deals on a holiday in this country rather than venturing abroad,

DQ

deviouslysarcastic
4th February 2008, 13:32
Can I ask..is it child friendly? I'm looking for somewhere to use my deals on a holiday in this country rather than venturing abroad,

DQ

There were no children present on the weekend we stayed.
I dont think the rooms are set up for children.
e.g Only half the rooms had on-suites.

There wouldn't be much to do unless they are keen walkers.
The beach is pebbles rather than sand.

I did notice high chairs in the restaurant though.

EC23
4th February 2008, 15:01
I'm pretty sure this hotel (which I've seen and Beer is a lovely place) DOES NOT take kids - I would have booked it if they did.

BTW - does OId English Inns still do special deals? They used to email me every week but since stopped and checking the website, can't see anything listed

Cheers

Rexybaby
4th February 2008, 17:51
OMG - didnt realise that the Anchor PH takes deals.

Me and the family visit Beer AT LEAST twice a year, its our favourite place, we normally stop in the caravan park just up the hill from the pub though - maybe our first visit this year will be a bit more upmarket.

Hope Mrs Rexy doesn`t spot this or i`ll be roped into even more driving on the M5 !.