PDA

View Full Version : ebid an Ebay alternative?

suzie3441
6th February 2008, 22:28
HI
Just wondered if anyone has any experience of ebid. Apparently ebayers are defecting to them. Are they any good?

dune
6th February 2008, 22:37
i've used them a long time ago
if its the same now.. you only pay fee's when you sell unless you post with extra's like gallery
The only trouble is not many buyers view the site

Plus i had a bad experience there and the site owners hid behind the data protection act

It's worth a try with a few items to see how the site works and if you like it

littlemissnaughty
6th February 2008, 22:40
I've used them a few times but never managed to sell anything. :mad:
I hate ebay especially with all their stupid policies but unfortunately there's no real alternative.:mad:

twinklej25
6th February 2008, 22:44
try this new site you got to bid the more bidders the more time.my friend had a lcd 37inch for 135.www/telebid.com/login.html....you got to buy bids and even those come in bulk to buy..

NitWit
6th February 2008, 22:50
Why oh why doesnt Google start something with Google Checkout..... this would be an ideal time.

littlemissnaughty
6th February 2008, 22:54
Just had a quick look, www.telebid.com looks really good. I will keep it in mind for the future. thanx :D

davidgh
7th February 2008, 07:29
had a dozen items on ebid - good number of views but no sales yet. the advantage too is that because of ebid worldwide locations, has given me over 300 internet references which might lead to future interest from buyers (am an optinmistic soul)

angelic
7th February 2008, 09:26
Ebay really have the market cornered, sellers may go elsewhere, but will be back.

I agree with littlemissnaughty, there really is no alternative...just my opinion though.

uklego
20th September 2008, 07:17
With the horrendous hike in ebay sellers fees do you think ebid will now become a realistic alternative?
Has any ptsers had any serious luck with ebid or are we just going to have to stomach these price increases?

rainbowhope
20th September 2008, 11:10
..I felt there wasnt much on offer on ebid...now if more defect---...
I'll stick with ebay unless the selection improves alot...but I only buy.
Ebay has had some huge court fines recently that they are passing on to their sellers.
Its disgusting..and in no connection to any gas price rise.

As a seller this would be a huge consideration.

Freebird
20th September 2008, 11:58
As a full-time aby seller, the hikes in fees are biting hard so I'm looking at any alternatives. I've joined ebid and will give it a go - I think that the more ebay stops being an enjoyable place to do business, the more chance ebid has of becoming a viable alternative. Only time will tell, I guess. At least it's a cheap way to find out!

britchic4
20th September 2008, 16:56
I tried Telebid and found it so awful I cancelled my membership still having some bids left, so lost money. It's hard to explain, but you have to buy bids, you can buy them in packages, say 20 worth. But bear in mind on a popular item (which they all seem to be) you may well use 20 worth of bids, and you may well not get the item.
It's incredibly frustrating, because the time counts down in seconds and just as its getting near zero somebody bids and the time goes back up again. This goes on and on and on and on, could be hours. I don't even know how somebody actually wins except if everyone else bidding just dies of boredom or runs out of bids.

uklego
20th September 2008, 17:04
Has anyone actually sold anything on ebid?

How easy was it to set up a selling account - is it similar at all to ebay?

DebbieE
20th September 2008, 20:03
I tried Telebid and found it so awful I cancelled my membership still having some bids left, so lost money. It's hard to explain, but you have to buy bids, you can buy them in packages, say 20 worth. But bear in mind on a popular item (which they all seem to be) you may well use 20 worth of bids, and you may well not get the item.
It's incredibly frustrating, because the time counts down in seconds and just as its getting near zero somebody bids and the time goes back up again. This goes on and on and on and on, could be hours. I don't even know how somebody actually wins except if everyone else bidding just dies of boredom or runs out of bids.

Oh god - avoid this site like the plague. It is so easy to get sucked in. I ended spending about 70 in bids to try & get a PS3 or a Wii & got nowhere. Only thing I won was Ratatouille DVD - most f***ing expensive dvd I've ever had

icho
20th September 2008, 20:34
Telebid actually advertised it's penny bids on TV.

Emmamed
20th September 2008, 22:26
both me and hubby has a telebid account, i havent wont anything, but hubby has got 2/3 things and never paid too much for them.

fairygirl
21st September 2008, 13:38

I went and had a look at this site, seemed like a nightmare, watching the clock tick down to 2 seconds then jump back up again when someone bids. I could never justify bidding real money on an item i may not win....think i'll steer clear of this one!

happyally
24th September 2008, 20:09
I was a successful ebay seller a few years ago but had the most dreadful paypal experience. Without going into huge detail, someone "stalked" my account, to this day I dont know if it was someone who'd bought off me and was unhappy, although I had no negatives. It was a few years ago when phising emails were just starting off and I received so many. It could have been linked to one of those. I received stalker like emails and it freaked the hell out of me. I found ebay and paypal and my isp at the time wholly unhelpful and uncaring. In haste I closed my ebay and paypal account - Ive only jsut felt like starting another but now I just buy - vouchers mostly! I tried to avoid having to have another paypal account but found that ebay is very biased towards paypal and made it difficult to use more traditional payment methods like cheques, postal orders etc. In between I tried ebid, but tbh it just doesn't get the viewings that ebay does and the things that did sell went for a song because of that. It is also not very user friendly I found and almost impossible to close any payment arrangement you have with them for any fees.

There are others out there, like "tazbar" and even "Amazon" but like a lot of other posts on here, I'm sad to say - ebay does have the monopoly.