PDA

View Full Version : triggering your companion ticket

JANED9388
7th February 2008, 19:48
if I was worried about hitting the 10K limit to get my 2-4-1 voucher, is there any reason I couldn't pay some money to someone via paypal (who do take amex) to hit the 10K target, then get the money back from them via a cheque (or similar)

I assume I'd have to pay the paypal charges but if it gets you the voucher the savings would more than outweigh this.

Can anyone see any problems with this plan ? not sure if it would be seen as a cash advance or not ?

Raffles
7th February 2008, 23:42
Should work.

Plan B is to book a fully refundable BA ticket, and then refund it when you've ticked over into your next card year. However, the snag is that you then need to spend more next year. So, for eg, if you book a 2,000 BA fully-flex ticket now and cancel it after your card anniversary date, next year you have to spend 10k plus the extra 2k (to get you to 10k new spend) to trigger your 2009 voucher.

The Paypal route may be easier. I'm pretty sure its not treated as a cash advance.

smashie
8th February 2008, 10:15
Sounds fine to me. Been and checked a previous statement and it shows as a transaction with no fee ( a cash advance would have a fee). :)

JANED9388
8th February 2008, 12:36
GREAT - thanks. think I'll go the paypal route, it's actually for my parents and I think they'll be more comfortable with that than having to get a refund on a ticket.

shopaholic2
9th February 2008, 12:34
Would there be a limit on how much you could transfer? Could I transfer 7,000 to my parents via paypal ie only have to spend another 3k on the card to trigger the voucher?

chipsdog
9th February 2008, 12:56
It does work - my friend needed to spend some money so I sent her a PayPal invoice which she then paid using AMEX plus extra to cover my fees, the fees can be expensive but it is worth it for a 1st class/Business flight

shopaholic2
9th February 2008, 13:19
how much are the fees?

JANED9388
9th February 2008, 18:34
Depends what type of account you have. here's the info from paypal

personal account
Accept credit or debit card funded payments 3.4% plus 0.20 GBP. No transaction limit for payments sent via Skype, otherwise there is a limit of 2 transactions per year

Premier account
1.4% + 0.20 GBP to 3.4% + 0.20 GBP

hope this helps

shopaholic2
10th February 2008, 22:15
Depends what type of account you have. here's the info from paypal

personal account
Accept credit or debit card funded payments 3.4% plus 0.20 GBP. No transaction limit for payments sent via Skype, otherwise there is a limit of 2 transactions per year

Premier account
1.4% + 0.20 GBP to 3.4% + 0.20 GBP

hope this helps

Many thanks for this - will hit the 10K this year but probably not next year do this might be very useful.

k3v1973
30th July 2008, 16:26
Hi, What would the total cost of spending 5000 using this method? I think may average yearl spend would be 5-6000, so at the moment I only have the basic card. If the costs involved in paying and taking the money out is not too high then I may well do this