PDA

View Full Version : EEkk just had a quote for Australia

janedoe
8th February 2008, 20:28
Just phoned Virgin for a quote for Australia, 2 adults and 2 children but 1 child will be 13 so he is classed as an adult when we fly and basically we want to do a fly-drive with accom vouchers and they have quoted approx ?8500 for the internery we want to do but for the accom vouchers he is still classed as as a child, I think we will have to do abit more saving and have to go next year instead, I must admit the lady was very helpful on the phone and gave me a ref number if we want to change our intinery and I haven't mention deals yet !!!

Our intinery is:

Flight to Melbourne with car hire and driving to Sydney = 7 days
Flight from Sydney to Alice Springs no car hire available there = 3 days
Flight from Alice Springs to Cairns and then picking car at Cairns and driving slowly to Brisbane =11 days and from there flying home.

If anyone has been to Aus and thinks these time limits are unreasonable let me know cos I will revise them

Flights with Thai Airways to and from Australia

But if we change our intinery and fly with Virgin to Sydney and have a stopover in Dubai (3 nights) on the way back it might cost at approx similar price without Alice Springs, heres hoping.

I have only done this costing now as I have to go into hospital for a major op on my foot due to my accident 3 years ago and we go (well kids and OH are) skiing tomorrow to Andorra and I'll be sitting on the terrace in the sun relaxing and need to phone the hospital when I get back to say 'ye or nay' to the waiting list whether to go in shortly or leave it till later in the year but I will be out of action for at least 3 months if not longer, and will have to get my shopping online (boo hiss with the extra points situation)
:)

shopsomemore
8th February 2008, 20:36
I think that is mega expensive!!!!!!!

Where are you planning on staying between Cairns and Brisbane??

shopsomemore
8th February 2008, 20:37
Would you be better selling your vouchers and finding it cheaper by yourself??

99redballs
8th February 2008, 20:40

deffo, you can get flights for as little as 495.

poogis
8th February 2008, 20:46
It depend how many points you have whether it's better to look independently.

We want to go to New Zealand, and for the 5 of us in a motorhome for 2 weeks, and flights was going to be about ?6k independent booking. That was the cheapest I could find, and obviously no hotel costs included, due to sleeping in the motorhome.

Don't suppose this helps much, but maybe get a DIY price to compare?

Poogis

shopsomemore
8th February 2008, 20:51
That seems a mad price too!!!!!!

poogis
8th February 2008, 22:04
I know and well out of our price range :(
It's cos the kids prices are only a couple of hundred quid less than adults (if that) on the plane, and we'd need a BIG van.

Anyway thinking of selling the house and moving out there instead of a holiday, so problem solved maybe?!!

Poogis

janedoe
9th February 2008, 08:51
With this quarters vouchers we should about ?6000 in deals, I have been saving them up for this trip, but I think if we don't do the Alice Springs bit it takes about ?2000 off the holiday as that's how much the flights are, she told us the since Virgin Blue drop out of that route the flights there are mega expensive but we would still have to pay for internal flight from Sydney to Cairns which is nowhere as much as that and approx ?100 each so a big difference but if we changed the flights to go to Sydney that would cost us more than flying to Melbourne, I think if I sold my Vouchers I would only get approx 1/2 so about ?3000 and I don't think that would be enough to pay for the holiday as we don't have any cash to pay for it thats why I've been saving my vouchers to pay for it.

sandhabibi
9th February 2008, 09:01
You may save quite abit if you consider changing a flight to use the greyhound coaches instead, You can but a mileage ticket with them that allows you to travel wherever until the milage is up. I travelled from Melbourne to Alice springs then on upto cairns and back down to Brisbane,Can't remember price exactly now but was good to do.

scrumpyjane
9th February 2008, 09:03

I don't know if this sounds mad to you Janedoe, but have you thought of home swopping? you just pay for your flights and then stay in someones home, use their car etc and they do the same. Why i thought of it is cause my dad does it regulaly and has been to Alice springs on one last time.

janedoe
9th February 2008, 09:14
I don't know if this sounds mad to you Janedoe, but have you thought of home swopping? you just pay for your flights and then stay in someones home, use their car etc and they do the same. Why i thought of it is cause my dad does it regulaly and has been to Alice springs on one last time.

Eekk, no-one would want to stay in our house, not in the best of area's or even location, I would personally love to house swop but can't see anyone wanting to staying here.

janedoe
9th February 2008, 09:15
Must rush off now need to catch a plane to Spain, see everyone next week.

postiepaula
9th February 2008, 17:58
hope you had a good time in spain jane...
we are hoping to go to aus next year too, when we went to enquire about it the tip the lady gave us was to do the stop over on the way out there because of the time difference...not sure how it works but that is what she said..
good luck

angelic
9th February 2008, 20:57
hope you had a good time in spain jane...
we are hoping to go to aus next year too, when we went to enquire about it the tip the lady gave us was to do the stop over on the way out there because of the time difference...not sure how it works but that is what she said..
good luck

I highly recommend a stopover as it helps you begin to adjust to the time difference - 12 hours (depending on season) between Aus and UK. Singapore is wonderful if you have a choice ;)
It also helps lessen the jetlag which can really take it out of you...we used to travel a lot as we lived in SE Asia for 3 years.

Another really good tip on long haul flights is to set your watch to the next time zone you will be going to and try and sleep/eat to the new time. Again this helps lessen the shock to your bodyclock.

louisew
23rd February 2008, 19:20
Hi Jane, I am also saving up for Australia, and the price I worked out from the brochure, was about ?9000 for 5 of us. The trouble is everywhere is so ****** far away, you have to fly, and that's what ups the cost. I think we'd go to Sydney, then Cairns, then down to Brisbane, where we have friends. I looked at driving between Cairns and Brisbane, but its an awful long way. I've saved about ?4000 in deals(after conversion), but won't be going till next summer, so hopefully will have doubled it by then!!!