PDA

View Full Version : Tesco have moved the goalposts on Hotel deals without warning!

paulie558
9th February 2008, 20:09
*******s.!
Have been waiting for the new mailing to book a night at Hilton manc Airport for the monday before our Orlando flight to find Hotels are now weekend deals
Min 2 nights,Friday to Sunday!
Trying the Hilton PR code no longer works.
No warning whatsoever.

About this Deal
Deals Token(s) cannot be used against:

The Hilton Cardiff and the Hilton Bath hotels, Hilton Park and Fly, LivingWell membership, Hilton Theatre Breaks, any Conrad Hotel, any Worldwide Resort hotel, Hilton gift vouchers.

Hilton - the world's most famous hotel brand - has over 70 hotels in the UK, Ireland and throughout Europe* where you can now exchange your Clubcard Vouchers towards a `Fully Flexible Bed & Breakfast` stay.

At Hilton they know your spare time is precious, which is why they've got some great holiday ideas and hotels to make the most of your time off. You can choose from coastal properties to country side locations, rural retreats to European City-breaks.

Hilton look forward to welcoming you soon.

Things to remember...

? Minimum stay 2 nights, valid Friday to Sunday inclusive

? Based on 2 people sharing a double/twin room

? Tokens valid on specified rates only

? Room availability is limited and prices may vary depending on time of booking

? You must have ordered and received your Weekend Break Tokens before you book with Hilton Hotels. Once you've received your Weekend Break Tokens, you must book with Hilton Hotels at least 14 days before you wish to stay.

? Prices quoted on the Hilton Hotels website are not valid for use with Clubcard Deals Tokens.

? Weekend Break Tokens are not transferable and will be issued with the name shown on your Clubcard Vouchers.

Over 70 hotels across the UK, Ireland & Europe*.

Additional information

Raffles
9th February 2008, 20:18
What is funny about this is that it implies that the Hilton Bath is super-special and so excluded, whereas actually it is a complete dump - albeit I know some rooms have been redone in the last few months. It will still look like a Travelodge, though!

Littlemissjojo
9th February 2008, 20:24
~Its not just Hilton!!

All the hotels are now weekends only - Friday to Sunday :eek:

The category on the website is no longer Hotels - but Weekend Breaks.

We have already booked Marriott York in May for a weekend - Friday to Sunday, by coincidence!! But I would imagine any bookings already made would be honoured anyway.

GemLou
9th February 2008, 20:38
Me too, I wanted to book the hotel for wed night before our thur flight toflorida from gatwick, will still have to book but not impressed.

bargainsneeded
9th February 2008, 20:38
oh its getting worse,was planning the same as last year a mid weeek stay at hilton blackpool with day on the fair, will book ?9.50 sun hols now round that time and sod mr t, hes really starting to get on my nerves!!!!!!!:mad:

paulie558
9th February 2008, 20:53
Sod em.
Have just booked a night at Manc Airport Travelodge for ?29 instead.
It's no Hilton but all we want is a bed before our early flight.No way were we paying ?140.
Seriously p1ssed off with Tesco now.

GoatBoy
10th February 2008, 08:00
Got my week in Aviemore booked just in time then :D

GoatBoy
10th February 2008, 08:22
*whispers in a meek mild voice*

May I be the one to get on your nerves and point out, its Tesco Loyalty scheme they can do as they please with it.

NO, you may not. It's ours, ours I tell you. How dare they change anything without consulting us all first? :nono:

JANED9388
10th February 2008, 08:24
Bum ! - I was just waiting to book the hilton at heathrow.

paulie558
10th February 2008, 09:17
Usually they give fair warning if someone withdraws from the sceme(Eurostar,Avis ect)The same is happening with weekday avalibility of all Hotels.
Now that is quite a major change,so why was no warning given?
Because Tesco think they can do as they please,including building the Supermarkets anywhere and killing off town trade.

JANED9388
10th February 2008, 09:30
what else can I use my vouchers that I had already converted for ?, they are the ones with the code S5006 on them, can I use these in resturants ?

tyroleandancer
10th February 2008, 09:58
what else can I use my vouchers that I had already converted for ?, they are the ones with the code S5006 on them, can I use these in resturants ?

restaurants
days out
bowling
Johnsons cleaner
goldsmiths

Any Deal that is not buy in full :)

JANED9388
10th February 2008, 10:01
thanks - thought so, but wanted to check.

Silent Bob
10th February 2008, 10:16
Hopefully they will still honour bookings prior to this change. I booked a Marriott for a Saturday night in May, and got a confirmation email that states I'ill be paying in Tesco's deals.

Flo
10th February 2008, 10:46
FFS! Waiting for Febs statement to book the Hilton at Gatwick for the night before we fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT HAPPY. There should have been notice given just as when someone is leaving, what about people who have deals converted to Hilton or other hotel vouchers ready to use?

paulie558
10th February 2008, 10:49
Yes they can do as they please,just as Hilter did,but it doesnt make it the decent thing to do.

Flo
10th February 2008, 10:58
I'm really gutted this screws up my pre holiday planning. I have just ordered a family railcard as we were going to go by train down to the hilton. Looks like I might need to sell all this quarters deals to pay for the one night at the hilton now!

rach109
10th February 2008, 11:00
~Its not just Hilton!!

All the hotels are now weekends only - Friday to Sunday :eek:

The category on the website is no longer Hotels - but Weekend Breaks.

We have already booked Marriott York in May for a weekend - Friday to Sunday, by coincidence!! But I would imagine any bookings already made would be honoured anyway.

:eek::mad:

DaisyChain
10th February 2008, 11:15
Suspect its the hotels rather than Tesco that changed it surely ?

shoppaholic45
10th February 2008, 11:19
we have a night booked on the 29 of this month at the hilton in york, but did book this a few weeks ago. Can't believe they have changed it now to weekends.

Flo
10th February 2008, 11:21
Any discount codes for Hilton or companies I can book through to get cheaper cash rates?

Flo
10th February 2008, 11:28
?177 for 1 night Dinner bed and breakfast, I will be booking this but was hoping I might find a discount code or similar to make it a little cheaper.

tyroleandancer
10th February 2008, 11:34
?177 for 1 night Dinner bed and breakfast, I will be booking this but was hoping I might find a discount code or similar to make it a little cheaper.

I couldn't find a code unfortunatley

No codes on vouchercodes.com :(

Noddy2
10th February 2008, 11:42
Same boat for me - want a hotel for family of 5, with parking for our Egypt hol next month. Was just waiting on vouchers to book a hilton.

Oh well, best we can do is get 6% quidco I guess, unless I can get a discount through my employer, RBS.

cheers
Nod :(

SuzyWoo
10th February 2008, 11:43
we have a night booked on the 29 of this month at the hilton in york, but did book this a few weeks ago. Can't believe they have changed it now to weekends.
I was going there with my Mom on the same day, but we're off to Chester instead and staying in a DeVere with, gulp, cash!

Ladyshopper
10th February 2008, 12:35
FFS! Waiting for Febs statement to book the Hilton at Gatwick for the night before we fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT HAPPY. There should have been notice given just as when someone is leaving, what about people who have deals converted to Hilton or other hotel vouchers ready to use?

If you're going by train and don't mind cheap and cheerful, traverlodge is very cheap. I'm going in August, prices are ?29 a room for the date I want. There is a shuttle to and from the airport/train station to the hotel which I think is ?3.00, and when i went last year kids were free. Runs very frequently, and started early enough in morning for me to get the one to the airport.

I'll be booking 2 rooms so kids can snore to their hearts content! Much better value than the Hilton, although not as posh! Depends what you want from the hotel I suppose, if its just a comfy bed for the night then travelodge fits the bill!

Flo
10th February 2008, 12:39
I've got my heart set on the Hilton now, we are doing twilight checkin so the plan is train down have a nose around airport/hotel walk to checkin then have a leisurely dinner followed by a lovely sleep, up in the morning buffet breakfast and stroll through to departures. Worst comes to worst I'll sell my vouchers on ebay and pay for train tickets and hotel with cash.

Ladyshopper
10th February 2008, 12:42
Fair enough, just an idea. Know what its like when you've got your heart set on something.

Hope you're able to sell the vouchers if they're starting to put name and postcode on all deals as per another thread?

I'll still be slumming it at the travelodge, will check in on virgin online before I leave, then get train whenever!

Flo
10th February 2008, 12:46
I've no illusions about the Hilton I doubt it will be very posh but OH is set on it aswell.

Anyone know whether the Dinner Bed and Breakfast includes a 3 course dinner, don't mind paying the extra for the dinner rate as long as we're not going to be hit for extras.

GoatBoy
10th February 2008, 13:10
Yes they can do as they please,just as Hilter did,but it doesnt make it the decent thing to do.

Read that again & try not to be embarassed by the comparison you've just made

paulie558
10th February 2008, 13:34
Read that again & try not to be embarassed by the comparison you've just made
If you were to put that to some of the shops that had to close,or suppliers with profit margins squeezed to nothing,added to some of the bullying tactics that Tesco apply to shoppers with coupons,then maybe its not quite as extreme as it would seem.Although I cant see them putting people clasping HL coupons into concentration camps.Not yet anyway.
We , as shoppers look forward to the points,and deals . Take them away and what has Tesco got going for it?Cheap prices?Sadly not.

Hannah2
10th February 2008, 14:06
Well, I am not sure when this change is meant to have been implemented but I had just booked two different trips with Marriott this morning using the online code T85 and it processed them fine. Both were just for one night, admittedly both Saturday nights.

Might be worth anyone wanting a Marriott booking to do it now, even if you are not sure as you dont have to send off your vouchers and you can cancel up to 18.00 on the day of arrival without loss of vouchers (check individual bookings before taking my word on this though!).

Lets hope they honour the bookings!

H x

GoatBoy
10th February 2008, 14:23
If you were to put that to some of the shops that had to close,or suppliers with profit margins squeezed to nothing,added to some of the bullying tactics that Tesco apply to shoppers with coupons,then maybe its not quite as extreme as it would seem.Although I cant see them putting people clasping HL coupons into concentration camps.Not yet anyway.

Once again, read what you just said above & try not to be deeply embarassed. You REALLY need to get some perspective into your life, if indeed you have one................

paulie558
10th February 2008, 15:12
Once again, read what you just said above & try not to be deeply embarassed. You REALLY need to get some perspective into your life, if indeed you have one................

Oh for gawd sake lighten up.

rach109
10th February 2008, 15:42
:shocked:
play nicely !

Kina
10th February 2008, 15:57
This really sucks :( I was just waiting for my mailing to covert up a few more vouchers and get it booked up. I can't understand why they've changed it tbh. The price with Virgin for 1 night at the Hilton in a family room was approx ?130. The tesco deal with Hilton themselves was ?220... Ok it doesn't include breakfast but that's still ?80 difference!

Flo I don't think it is a 3 course meal when you're looking at dinner, bed & breakfast is it? Because for ?170 that's a very good deal when the prices are what they are to eat at the Hilton. I know breakfast is a buffet, is dinner a similar affair I wonder?

Raffles
10th February 2008, 17:18
'Dinner' is always a 3-course meal, albeit you are often restricted to a shorter a-la-carte menu. Alternatively, you can often take stuff off the full menu and pay extra.

Sometimes it works differently and you are told you can order whatever you want and you get ?x knocked off the bill.

Flo
10th February 2008, 17:19
They do a dinner buffet so I assume unless anyone knows otherwise that is what I'll get for dinner, don't mind aslong as dessert is included.

Raffles
10th February 2008, 17:24
Any discount codes for Hilton or companies I can book through to get cheaper cash rates?

Quidco takes a bit off, or try Holiday Extras (again via Quidco).

If this is Gatwick, I'd use the Premier Travel Inn which is newer and possibly even nicer ...

At Heathrow, the Jurys Inn at Hatton Cross is cheap and new. Alternatively, the Holiday Inn Aerial is usually around ?50 / night if booked in advance for quiet nights - usually weekends - plus ?20 pigsback cashback.

Raffles
10th February 2008, 17:26
Quick reality check. Business hotels are currently at record levels of occupancy. Business has not been so good since before 9/11. It makes sense that they will pull availability of 75%-discounted Tesco rooms midweek if they are pretty certain they can sell the same room for full price. I'm 100% sure that Tesco guests are also pretty stingy on paying for room service, big bar bills, in-room internet access, minibars etc compared to guests paying full whack.

samesizedfeet
10th February 2008, 17:31
I live inbetween Heathrow and Gatwick and have a spare room that I'd be quite happy to test squeezing a family of five into.

I'll accept bonus point vouchers, H&B and till spits in return for accommodation

Dinner B&B can be provided as long as you like Fish Finger sandwiches and Porridge.

I'm running short on those little fancy toiletries like Hilton do but you can have stand up wash using baby wipes if you like.

Those with cat allergies need not apply as it's her room. She also gets first dibs on the best bed.

suzanneg
10th February 2008, 17:34
samedsizedfeet - I'd like to get my booking in first, I'll PM u shall I?! ;)

GoatBoy
10th February 2008, 19:27
Oh for gawd sake lighten up.

Lighten up? From someone who compares Tesco business practise with the Holocaust?

See ya, wouldn't want to be ya................

Kina
10th February 2008, 20:31
I'm 100% sure that Tesco guests are also pretty stingy on paying for room service, big bar bills, in-room internet access, minibars etc compared to guests paying full whack.

Absolutely, because I don't need any of those things from an airport hotel, being a tesco customer or not!

suziq
10th February 2008, 20:36
not me! i had room service at 3 in the morning!

paulie558
11th February 2008, 09:43
[QUOTE=CrsJo;454167]Lighten up? From someone who compares Tesco business practise with the Holocaust?
Crs Jo.
I posted here to alert people that Tesco changed the rules on hotel bookings.
Many,like me,were waiting for vouchers to convert so they could book specific nights.
Now we cant.
So,vexed with Tesco,s tactics of late I compared them jokingly in a roundabout way with what now appears to be a tabu name.
Obviously what passed as humour for John Cleese in 1975 and won awards must not now be breached in this sterile PC age.
Floosy could see the humour in it.You ,sadly could not
Or maybe you were affected in some way by the events of 1939-1945.

I joined the loyalty points forum,and then this one following postings on MSE that this was a friendly place to be.And indeed it was,until of late.
Paranoya may be the end of it.
So I will leave PTS so you may flame some other poor sod which you seem quite good at.
Surprisingly I do have a life,unlike yourself who seems to spend most of their days on here.200+ posts since christmas eh?
Good for you.
Don't mention the war.:kev:

bargainsneeded
11th February 2008, 09:54
cmon guys please it seems almost most threads thesedays are ending in tittle tattle:(:(:(:(:(

Irishsmurfy
11th February 2008, 09:57
[I joined the loyalty points forum,and then this one following postings on MSE that this was a friendly place to be.And indeed it was,until of late.
So I will leave PTS so you may flame some other poor sod which you seem quite good at.:kev:

Oh for goodness sake - why would you want to leave PTS just because you have a run-in with one member?? Because of one run-in you are judging PTS as being unfriendly?? On the whole most people here get along fine - and everyone is more than welcome here. And yes - I do mean everyone - new and old alike!!!

Please can we resume normal service asap as all these spats are giving me a headache!! I think the only cure available though is a batch of mailings through the door to relieve tension!!!

Sorry - I'm not having a go at anyone - honest!! I just want to reinforce the fact that PTS really IS a very friendly site and all are welcome!!!!

GoatBoy
11th February 2008, 10:04
[QUOTE=CrsJo;454167]Lighten up? From someone who compares Tesco business practise with the Holocaust?
Crs Jo.
I posted here to alert people that Tesco changed the rules on hotel bookings.
Many,like me,were waiting for vouchers to convert so they could book specific nights.
Now we cant.
So,vexed with Tesco,s tactics of late I compared them jokingly in a roundabout way with what now appears to be a tabu name.
Obviously what passed as humour for John Cleese in 1975 and won awards must not now be breached in this sterile PC age.
Floosy could see the humour in it.You ,sadly could not
Or maybe you were affected in some way by the events of 1939-1945.

I joined the loyalty points forum,and then this one following postings on MSE that this was a friendly place to be.And indeed it was,until of late.
So I will leave PTS so you may flame some other poor sod which you seem quite good at.
Surprisingly I do have a life,unlike yourself who seems to spend most of their days on here.200+ posts since christmas eh?
Good for you.
Don't mention the war.:kev:

Bye - close the door behind you...............

tiger
11th February 2008, 10:15
Please everyone calm down and be polite to each other.
It's not pleasant for the rest of us to read posts like this.
Most of us just want to quietly get on with the business of collecting points and cashback without conflict.
PTS is a friendly place most of the time. Surely it's possible to disagree with someone without falling out.

dlpmikki
13th February 2008, 16:03
This place (http://www.lowfieldfarm.co.uk/index.html) was recomended to me for Gatwick but I have not used it yet. I used the Tesco deal last time but may try this next time!

Kina
13th February 2008, 16:59
I've heard good things about there aswell dlpmikki :)

Aims1982
13th February 2008, 17:15
I have just booked Travelodge at Gatwick ?39 for a family room was going to use deals for Hilton but we all know what happened there :rolleyes:

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/find_a_hotel/hotel/hotel_id/28/GatwickAirport