PDA

View Full Version : Where to go with Cosmos?

Harrietxxx
16th February 2008, 19:32
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me a recommendation. I want to book for me, and three dds 15,12 and 5. Not too long flight, some kind of holiday complex with a bit of entertainment, pools, near beach. I would like AI and don't want to have to hire a car as I hated it last year when we went to France.

I keep looking at the Cosmos site but my head is just spinning now, they all sound nice.

We haven't really done this before and have heard lots of horror stories about the buffet style food, should I risk AI or stick to SC, although it would be nice to not cook for a week.

Has anyone got any recommendations please.

Thanks

mutley muppet
16th February 2008, 19:50
What about Sharm El Sheikh? I've been 4 times. Nice weather, great beaches, fantastic snorkelling and REALLY cheap to eat out and it's really nice food!

I'm eyeing up the Novotel in Sharm with Cosmos. Its right on a lovely sandy beach with plenty of places to eat within walking distance so no need for a car or taxis and you can just go B&B.

The hotel is very modern ( I had a tour last time I went) and there's a nice big pool if you dont like swimming in the sea.

The flight is about 5 and a half hours BUT it is worth it and only a 10 min transfer at the other end.

MM. x

(sold it to myself anyway, lol!:D)

Harrietxxx
16th February 2008, 19:58
Thanks, I'll look it up now

DebbieE
16th February 2008, 20:01
There are loads of 4 & 5 * AI hotels in Turkey. Not been personally but know a few that keep going back. There's usually loads of facilities, pools & entertainment there

Flo
16th February 2008, 22:22
We went to a 5* in turkey Kaya Belek, it was a bit out of the way for any sort of nightlife away from the hotel but the hotel itself had entertainment every evening, two outdoor pools, beach was a bit stony but lovely sunbeds. There was a shuttle bus into the nearest little town. My inlaws weren't that keen but me, DH and DD loved it, nice weather, entertainment laid on, free sunbeds, nice pools and good standard of entertainment - they also had an indoor pool, sauna, steam room etc, hairdressers, games room, a photographer who took some stunning shots of my daughter and was very reasonable. I believe there was lots of different sports activities as well going on but I was there to relax, lol. Food was all inclusive and was some of the nicest AI food we've had in any hotel (pancakes freshly cooked for breakfast). Turkey isn't for everyone but I thought it was fun, we went into a large town and I had great fun haggling at the market. You need to go to at least one big market away from the hotel (they are cheap at the hotel by our standard but very expensive by Turkish prices) I can't resist a bargain I spent my last money at one stall on 12 boxes of turkish delight for gifts and I paid less for all of them than my sister in law paid for one. We booked through Thomas Cook TV and paid the grand price of ?299 for the week AI.

I definitely say if you go for AI you need to book at least a 4* if not 5* for the food to be decent. Its usually worth the AI price just for the desserts, snacks, soft drinks.

Why not pick a few you like the look of then look them up on holidaysuncovered.co.uk .

Keep us posted with where you decide to go? I love holidays.

Harrietxxx
16th February 2008, 22:33
I will pick a couple and check out the reviews, thanks

red devil
17th February 2008, 11:26
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me a recommendation. I want to book for me, and three dds 15,12 and 5. Not too long flight, some kind of holiday complex with a bit of entertainment, pools, near beach. I would like AI and don't want to have to hire a car as I hated it last year when we went to France.

I keep looking at the Cosmos site but my head is just spinning now, they all sound nice.

We haven't really done this before and have heard lots of horror stories about the buffet style food, should I risk AI or stick to SC, although it would be nice to not cook for a week.

Has anyone got any recommendations please.

Thanks

Know how you feel about your head spinning. I had decided on either the Aegean dreams or Kadikale resorts at Turgutreis Turkey. Both get great reviews on holidaysuncovered and tripadvisor websites but I was a bit concerned about there being lots of steps at the Kadikale so I started to look at other hotels. I have now decided on the Sherwood Breezes resort at Lara beach. It gets good reviews has food and drink for 23 hours a day has entertainment and discos and has 7 adult waterslides and 3 childrens waterslides. There is a hotel run kids club too.
Have also been looking at the resorts on google earth to get some idea of what is nearby there are lots of photos to look at as well.
I am just waiting on this quarters clubcard vouchers then I can book it. Only decision to make now is which airport Gatwick, Manchester or Birmingham I keep changing my mind about that now.

Button
17th February 2008, 11:57
What about Sharm El Sheikh? I've been 4 times. Nice weather, great beaches, fantastic snorkelling and REALLY cheap to eat out and it's really nice food!

I'm eyeing up the Novotel in Sharm with Cosmos. Its right on a lovely sandy beach with plenty of places to eat within walking distance so no need for a car or taxis and you can just go B&B.

The hotel is very modern ( I had a tour last time I went) and there's a nice big pool if you dont like swimming in the sea.

The flight is about 5 and a half hours BUT it is worth it and only a 10 min transfer at the other end.

MM. x

(sold it to myself anyway, lol!:D)

We have our hearts set on this area however my brother (who works as a mediator in war torn countries) feels that this area will be very unsafe this summer. There is a large community of Israelis in this area and he feels that if Hammas will hit anywhere it will be here. I am really worried now but DH is determined we are going. :(

mutley muppet
17th February 2008, 12:10
We have our hearts set on this area however my brother (who works as a mediator in war torn countries) feels that this area will be very unsafe this summer. There is a large community of Israelis in this area and he feels that if Hammas will hit anywhere it will be here. I am really worried now but DH is determined we are going. :(

I know what you mean Button but you could say the same about London being unsafe? I do feel that the security in Sharm is quite tight but obviously attacks have happened in the past.:(

Button
17th February 2008, 12:24
I know - you're right. It is the same risk where ever you go nowadays. It's just he was so sure and it's made me feel really uneasy! I knew the risks but was not really thinking about it - now it's in my head and dh wants to book as soon as we get our cc vouchers thru!! :(

MEONLYA
17th February 2008, 17:55
This has been a great read.I have now managed to save enough vouchers to take my two sons( 12 and 9 ) and me away on our first abroad holiday.Does anyone recommend just phoning cosmos and saying how much i have to spend and ask whats the best value for money place to stay.Don't mind where we go as long as its nice and warm , safe , cheap and fun.Don't really fancy turkey much as friend has been in the past and told me that the men are really slimey and creepy EWWWWWWW.
Any recommendations ?

Addy
17th February 2008, 18:04
I can recommend Hotel Club Zigana in Turkey - yeah outside of the hotel complex the men can be a bit leery but I've found that in quite a few other countries too. But inside the complex there's not a problem at all. Fantastic hotel, excellent AI food/drinks and entertainment. Lovely swimming pools and superb accommodation. Loved it so much we went back a second time, and will probably go again at some point in the future (Tesco/Cosmos allowing!).

Flo
17th February 2008, 23:43
TBH we had no problems with men at all in turkey we pretty much stayed around the hotel in the evenings and didn't have any problems in the day when we went out. You do get asked to buy stuff all the time but it was just the same in Spain or anywhere else really.

sammybear
18th February 2008, 08:24
This has been a great read.I have now managed to save enough vouchers to take my two sons( 12 and 9 ) and me away on our first abroad holiday.Does anyone recommend just phoning cosmos and saying how much i have to spend and ask whats the best value for money place to stay.Don't mind where we go as long as its nice and warm , safe , cheap and fun.Don't really fancy turkey much as friend has been in the past and told me that the men are really slimey and creepy EWWWWWWW.
Any recommendations ?

Dont let that put you off Turkey Meonlya, its a beautiful country and the people are lovely and really friendly. The men can be a bit ott with women but just go with the flow and have a laugh with them- when they make comments to me - i always reply with daft comments like " youve got no chance mate- i could eat you for breakfast" lol and they just laugh and then they are great friends then for the rest of the holiday- honestly dont let it put you off.

I got married there and they couldnt do enough for us !
The foods good, they love kids,beaches are great, wall to wall sunshine - its brill :)

tesco tart
18th February 2008, 16:23
Ive been fancying Lykia world in olu denize/turkey, looks fab, but expenise, anyone else been?

annedawso
19th February 2008, 10:33
I've been looking in the Cosmos brochure for a holiday. Got about ?1800. There seemed to be a few decent ones in Majorca, Menorca that were all inclusive with kids clubs etc. Don't know why I look for kids clubs as mine will never go:(
I would ring them up and ask them what they have left.

Then before I booked I would go on tripadvisor and check out the reviews, as one I fancied in the brochure had dreadful revews.

Thinking of keeping mine off just before they break up as so much cheaper.
Good luck

DebbieE
19th February 2008, 12:25
Menorca is beautiful. We stayed in Cala Galdana & it's stunning. It's quiet, safe & no yobs. Will go back again

MEONLYA
19th February 2008, 19:03
I have now changed my vouchers into deals for cosmos.( one lot was running out on the 28th or 29 th of feb 08) Just waiting for the brouchers to come .Does anyone think that booking at last minute is a good idea ? ( more for your money ) i have a 3 week holiday from work in august so am flexible with departure.Never managed to book an europe holiday before, so am very excited , nervous and a little head spinning with everything , but i am very sure that it will be worth all the hastle when i can take my two boys away for the first time .

kirsjude
19th February 2008, 21:22
Any recommendations ?

What about the Portaventura Theme Park in Spain? Cosmos go there.

We went last summer and stayed at El Paso Hotel and it was fab. I know some others on here have also been.

You have got all of the facilities at the hotel and also unlimited entry to the theme park, day and night. The food was excellent and you could eat in any of the 3 hotels or some of the restaurants in the park.

I went away on my own with my DD for several years and know that it is difficult sometimes, but here there is more than enough to keep you all happy.

mpet
19th February 2008, 22:21
I know what you mean Button but you could say the same about London being unsafe? I do feel that the security in Sharm is quite tight but obviously attacks have happened in the past.:(

With regard to security alerts, London is one of the 'high risk' areas, so I wouldn't get too concerned. Just came back from Sharm -great place - we had a great week. They are quite security aware with security arches at all hotels and security guards, but I did not feel unsafe in any way.

lizzie18
19th February 2008, 22:25
looking at booking with cosmos for may 09 - any idea when these will be on sale ? I thinking ofRhodes x

phonejacker
20th February 2008, 11:50
We have just returned from a two centre holiday in Egypt, this is the hotel (http://www.cosmos.co.uk/destinations/Egypt/Red-Sea/Hurghada/Dana-Beach-Resort) we stayed at on the Red Sea(did a Nile cruise for the 1st week). Lots of facilities for children, good beach, plenty of swimming. There are plenty of holiday resorts around the Red Sea, check out Holiday Watchdog for reviews. We would recommend the Dana Beach.