PDA

View Full Version : Book Now or Wait?

sullieb
21st February 2008, 16:28
We are planning on going to Cuba in March next year (all of this years holiday are planned and booked so I need to be researching another one :rolleyes:).

We have enough in deals but should I book now or wait, you see there have been two "offers" with virgin for money off, the latest one being the ?100.00 Tesco shop and then there was another one for a ?50.00 Tesco voucher, should I hold out for another offer to come along?

What do you lovely peeps think? Thankyou!

GILMEL
21st February 2008, 17:28
oh go for it, don't put off till tomorrow what can be done today! :D

sullieb
21st February 2008, 17:35
oh go for it, don't put off till tomorrow what can be done today! :D

I know but then I would kick myself if I could have saved another ?100 - that's ?100 towards another holiday!

GILMEL
21st February 2008, 19:28
Ah but that holiday could be ?200 dearer when you go to book it later? I luv spending other peoples money:eyebrows:

huntsu1
22nd February 2008, 08:24
I'd book now so I knew it was in the bag and then start saving for another one later in the year which you could then use any offers available. Cuba sounds great - my 2009 trip will be to Las Vegas, will have enough in the next quarts mailing with any luck

JANED9388
22nd February 2008, 12:37
where are you staying in Cuba, we went over Xmas and stayed in the National in Havana (very nice), then in breezes Jibacoa (resort very nice, food so so - except lobster night which was brill, but then that's normal for Cuba) - we had some great meals in Havana too.

sullieb
24th February 2008, 14:04
where are you staying in Cuba, we went over Xmas and stayed in the National in Havana (very nice), then in breezes Jibacoa (resort very nice, food so so - except lobster night which was brill, but then that's normal for Cuba) - we had some great meals in Havana too.

Oooo..Jane, I have another thread on the hotels in Cuba and the Nacional is on my maybe list. Can I just ask, how was it's location with regards to the City?

Would you go back there?

Did you book with Virgin and Deals?

Thanks in advance.

JANED9388
24th February 2008, 15:58
the Nacional is not great with regards to location for old town / centro habana - it's about a 5-10 min taxi ride away but there were four of us and a taxi was only about ?4-?5 including a tip. We felt it was worth it as the hotel was lovely (not modern, but then it is deco style), it's right on the front over looking the sea, with lots of land around so it is nice and quiet - it has a great veranda bar with musicians playing daily in the afternoon and pea-hens wandering around the place. Some of the other hotels we looked at were more in the town center, and did have a better location for old town, but not such nice views and looked like they could have been noisy - there are plenty of resturants around it though, so you could still walk out and have options for food without going to the center. Huge buffet breakfast too. It is apparently where the celebs stay when they go to town, when we were there so was Naomi Cambell (so we were told, didn't see her though)

For things to do, the Tropicana night was pricey but very impressive (and you get a half bottle of rum per couple included), and the Floridita restaurant (where Hemmingway invented some cocktail or other) was also very very good, but again, pricey. The "le cathedral" resturant in cathedral square was remarkably good value. Feel free to ask if you have more questions and have a good time.

Didn't use deals on this occasion as we had used them all on a trip earlier last year - we'd definately go back to Havana, and probably to Cuba, but not to Jibacoa and probably not to Varradero either (went there 4 years ago and again on a day trip this year and it's getting a bit big)

sullieb
24th February 2008, 17:47
the Nacional is not great with regards to location for old town / centro habana - it's about a 5-10 min taxi ride away but there were four of us and a taxi was only about ?4-?5 including a tip. We felt it was worth it as the hotel was lovely (not modern, but then it is deco style), it's right on the front over looking the sea, with lots of land around so it is nice and quiet - it has a great veranda bar with musicians playing daily in the afternoon and pea-hens wandering around the place. Some of the other hotels we looked at were more in the town center, and did have a better location for old town, but not such nice views and looked like they could have been noisy - there are plenty of resturants around it though, so you could still walk out and have options for food without going to the center. Huge buffet breakfast too. It is apparently where the celebs stay when they go to town, when we were there so was Naomi Cambell (so we were told, didn't see her though)

For things to do, the Tropicana night was pricey but very impressive (and you get a half bottle of rum per couple included), and the Floridita restaurant (where Hemmingway invented some cocktail or other) was also very very good, but again, pricey. The "le cathedral" resturant in cathedral square was remarkably good value. Feel free to ask if you have more questions and have a good time.

Didn't use deals on this occasion as we had used them all on a trip earlier last year - we'd definately go back to Havana, and probably to Cuba, but not to Jibacoa and probably not to Varradero either (went there 4 years ago and again on a day trip this year and it's getting a bit big)

Thankyou so much hun, you have been a great help. The location of the Nacional seems great, taxi not too expensive and as you say away from the noise.

Obviously this is our first time to Cuba, we want to do 3 nights in Havana and then 7 nights as a beach holiday, we were thinking of Varradero, would you not recommend that? Where would you recommend? Thankyou and sorry for asking so many questions.

JANED9388
24th February 2008, 18:20
If you want a beach holiday Varadero has beautiful beaches, but the town is getting rather busy and looks as though it might be a bit "spring break" (if you know what I mean), the hotels on the peninsula are out of town which if you are going all inclusive is fine, but if not, there's not much option of where to eat as far as I could see other than in the hotels which would probably be pricey. We stayed in the Sandals Hicacos there about 4/5 years ago and the amount of building work that has happened since then is huge and whilst this was one of only 3/4 hotels on the peninsula, there are now many many more options. There is a tram / bus that runs from the peninsula into town which was very cheap when we were last there, so you can still get in and explore, and as in Havana, the taxi's aren't expensive. I'm sure someone else here might have something to add about good hotels in Havana, the Hicacos is still available, but I don't think it belongs to Sandals any more - it is very nice though.

The other thing about breaking up Havana with another place is that from the virgin brochure Jibacoa and Varadero are about the only two places that are within a short (ish) drive, (about 2.5 hrs to varadero, less to Jibacoa). Some of the other resorts you have to take in internal flight to, and apparently Cuban internal flight air safety is one of the worst in the world, so much so, that Non cuban nationals are not allowed on internal flights serviced in Cuba, only those that are based outside - we didn't fancy it at all !!