PDA

View Full Version : Florida Keys

Ladyshopper
23rd February 2008, 22:12
has anyone been, is there much to do? Spending 4 night there as part of our 2 week hol, staying at Ocean Pointe Suites.

More to the point, are there lots of snakes there? I know there are snakes in Florida, but just stupidly read a thread on the dibb about them, and now having a bit of a panic about it, as thinking maybe there are more down at the Keys?

And if anyone answers this, can I please put a request on that you don't post any pics of snakes, as this happened to me once before on a thread, and I'm seriously phobic. Save it for the pets thread!

Seriously, if anyone knows I would really appreciate it, as if there are lots in the Keys then I'll consider changing that bit of the holiday, as I don't want it to be spoilt.

Gizmos
23rd February 2008, 22:15
I stayed at a hotel in Kissimmee a couple of years ago and a large snake disappeared behind the lounger I had been lying on (lucky was in pool) told the gardeners who were not aware they had snakes in the locale; noticed they did not go near that area.

Last year was on Longboat Key and was at the pool and there was a wee shriek and kerfuffle .. lady had reached down for her drink and nearly picked up a snake.

NatsDad
23rd February 2008, 22:17
Have been to the Keys several times (Key Largo and Key West) and have never seen a snake. Have seen one in Orlando a couple of months ago but they are more frightened of us and scurry off to hide.

Ladyshopper
23rd February 2008, 22:18
OMG!

There are an awful lot of experiences like that on this thread on the dibb. Seem lots of people have seen them, even in disney parks and in the water parks.

I know they are there, just wondered if I am more likely to see them in the Keys or not really. Difficult one to answer I suppose.

If I do see 1, the world will know. Not a pretty sight when an adult turns into a screaming jibbering wreck.

Ladyshopper
23rd February 2008, 22:18
Have been to the Keys several times (Key Largo and Key West) and have never seen a snake. Have seen one in Orlando a couple of months ago but they are more frightened of us and scurry off to hide.

That reassures me a little, thanks Natsdad!

Gizmos
23rd February 2008, 22:21
am sure you will be fine - these are our only two experiences and have been to Florida lots

Ladyshopper
23rd February 2008, 22:31
Thanks Giz. I think reading that thread sent me into panic overdrive, although it was all about Orlando rather than the Keys.

Fingers crossed I won't see any. Ugh, horrid things.

Gizmos
23rd February 2008, 22:31
if you see something disappear into the undergrowth tell yourself it is just the tail of a large lizard

NatsDad
23rd February 2008, 22:35
The Keys are more of a place to chill. You can do Dolphin Swims down there that are a bit more 'natural' than the Discovery Cove type. I highly recommend Dolphins Plus.

http://www.dolphinsplus.com/

Ladyshopper
23rd February 2008, 22:35
I'm just going to avoid looking anywhere near any undergrowth!

Worst experience ever was in Cornwall when I was about 15. Walking Coastal footpath with mum, this thing slithers across the path. I start screaming, my mum asks me what I'm screaming at as its a binbag blowing in the wind. She is as blind as a bat, and it was a snake, not a binbag!

Also had the unfortunate experience of doing an open water lifeguarding exam in big lake, someone shouted whats that, it was a big snake swimming in the water. Nearly needed a lifeguard for myself, never got back in that lake ever again, ran away and locked myself in car. Luckily exam was over!

99redballs
23rd February 2008, 22:37
we stayed at the ocean point suites!!!! in key largo (or roundabouts) yes?
we were there in march 1999!
we were very please with the suites, comfortable, both rooms had bathrooms, fully equipped kitchen and also a washing machine!
we drove around most of the time in our cabriolet sports car with the top down, thought we'd be different only everyone else had a cabriolet too!!
you must go to key west and have some key lime pie... yum!!

Ladyshopper
23rd February 2008, 22:40
we stayed at the ocean point suites!!!! in key largo (or roundabouts) yes?
we were there in march 1999!
we were very please with the suites, comfortable, both rooms had bathrooms, fully equipped kitchen and also a washing machine!
we drove around most of the time in our cabriolet sports car with the top down, thought we'd be different only everyone else had a cabriolet too!!
you must go to key west and have some key lime pie... yum!!

Oh, thats great to hear that someone else has been there. Think its a small island just off Key Largo (can't remember what its called off top of my head!).

I take it you didn't see any snakes?

The Key Lime pie sounds like a must do!

NatsDad
23rd February 2008, 22:43
Key lime pie is wonderful. Not so great for the waistline but DW just bought a whole one and brought it home today. :RDB-Choc:

Ladyshopper
23rd February 2008, 22:46
Natsdad, are you English but live in Florida? If not, I can't really make out why you're on a tesco thread?! I mean that in the nicest possible way!

And thanks for the dolphin link, I have come across that one on my search for stuff to do. Quite fancy the Sea Lion experience, that would be something a bit different.

NatsDad
23rd February 2008, 22:57
I'm Scottish but live in Florida. The Sea Lion is hilarious. They rescued it when it was a pup and it has been around the dolphins its whole life and it thinks it is a dolphin and drives them nuts.

Oh and I was a moderator before we moved here.

Ladyshopper
23rd February 2008, 23:00
Ahh, I see. Sorry to be so nosey, just curious, thats all! After all, it does seem a little strange to moderate a tesco site when you live 1000's of miles away!

That sea lion sounds very cute. Tis quite expenzive going there though, may have to save up the old pennies!

NatsDad
23rd February 2008, 23:03
The actual swim are around the same or slightly cheaper than Discovery Cove. You do get a lot more time interacting with the dolphins than at Discovery Cove as there are usually only a maximum of 4/5 people rather than the 8/10 people at Discovery Cove.

99redballs
23rd February 2008, 23:29
didn't see any snakes, but then again i wasn't looking ;)
it's mostly water and fast food outlets around there.
so i didn't put wait on (like i did the last time i went to florida) i ate fat free chocolate cake for breakfast and had a packet of fat free crisps and fruit for lunch-yum yum..
do they still do them natsdad? (ruffels olestra fried crisps) if ya eat too many you get the squits!

Ladyshopper
24th February 2008, 17:54
Wow, fat free choc cake. Am liking the sound of that!

And extremely glad to hear you didn't see any snakes, phew!

Just need to sort out my hire car and park tickets (if I ever decide what I'm doing!), then all done.

TLT65
24th February 2008, 19:04
Absolutely loved the keys !!
we stayed in Key Largo in a place that has changed names now.
Food was amazing, esp crab cakes, and the key lime pie of course.
we scuba dive so spend most of the time under the water, but snorkelling etc ..wonderful. If you like watersports then it is really the place.
the pace is sooooo different from Orlando. sunsets to die for
wonderful place !!

enjoy xx

Ladyshopper
24th February 2008, 20:05
Thanks for that. Son loves snorkelling, so sounds like an ideal place. Are the beaches nice there?

Keep thinking about Key Lime Pie now as people keep mentioning it!

dustykitten
24th February 2008, 21:00
We went for our honeymoon - long time ago 1992 but had a fab time and no we never saw a snake. I did get bitten heaps by mossies or the like but they always attack me so if they like the taste of you take care!

We travelled down all the keys, a great road journey, we stayed over at several on route, booking as we went.

Did the dolphin swim thing which was fantastic. OH dived and I snorkelled. You will have a fab time. I found Key West over-rated but glad we went.

Have a great time

Ladyshopper
24th February 2008, 21:50
Thanks, sounds great.

I've been keeping some garlic tablets to take in the hope that it will repel the mossies, as I'm one of these people they seem to like unfortunately!