PDA

View Full Version : Eco use of Maple Woodshavings. Any ideas?

CrystalTips
8th March 2008, 17:07
Hi All, we are in the middle of building our own kitchen out of maple. A by-product is obviously maple chippings & sawdust. I have bin bags full of it.

I never like to throw anything away, so would welcome any ideas.

We have open fires, but a bit warey on using dust on the fire, as have read somewhere that it's a bit dangerous. But would be great to save on cost of logs etc.

I compost most things, but unsure if maple can be composted?

Have thought of making a smoker to smoke some nuts etc for next christmas, but can you use Maple?

Any ideas would be great, I'm sure someone out there has some fab ideas.

Thanks so much. CT x

Gizmos
8th March 2008, 17:10
could you use it for rabbit hutches or something??

http://www.thing-farm.com/?p=38

might help

CrystalTips
8th March 2008, 17:31
Thanks Giz. Would be good if I had rabbits, but don't think the cats would like being in a hutch. :cat-shocked:

Maybe I could finally get some Chickens & use it for their bedding.

Thanks for the link; so I can use it to smoke things, but have around 15 bin bags full so will need lots to smoke. :faint:

tyroleandancer
8th March 2008, 18:29
Thanks Giz. Would be good if I had rabbits, but don't think the cats would like being in a hutch. :cat-shocked:

Maybe I could finally get some Chickens & use it for their bedding.

Thanks for the link; so I can use it to smoke things, but have around 15 bin bags full so will need lots to smoke. :faint:

How about a local school that has guinea pigs or hamsters?
Is it fine enough?

CrystalTips
9th March 2008, 12:44
Tryoleandancer, I'm not sure what they would need, but some is almost dust right through to larger pieces of curly shavings IYSWIM. I wouldn't have thought the dust stuff would be ok, but the inbetweeny bits would probably be ok. I'll ask at the village school. Thanks. CTx

suziq
9th March 2008, 13:28
does it smell nice? i love the smell of wood shavings. smoking stuff wud be fun

angel81uk
9th March 2008, 13:45
I notice you have cats, could it be used as cat litter? Or to use it as a fire lighter put it into the wells of a cardboard egg box, top with melted wax and once set cut out each "well" and you've got fire lighters.

Also I should imagine you could mix it with a little water and flour, compact it somehow, leave to dry and it would make great fire logs. Nt sure how you would go about compacting it though.

CrystalTips
9th March 2008, 17:20
Thanks Suziq, Yeah I have thought about doing some smoking, I love hickory nuts at christmas, so will definately be giving it a go. I will be smoking everything in sight for a while I think. :hungry::whoo:

Angel, Cat's don't have indoor litter tray, but a good idea & will see if a few friends may be able to use it. I LOVE the fire lighter idea, so now I will be hunting down empty egg boxes & cheap candles. :clap2:

Not sure about the fire logs, as I have read somewhere that it can be dangerous to make your own, due to the air pockets superheating & exploding. But very tempted to give it a go, to save some money on fuel. But don't want the expense of setting the house of fire, IYSWIM. :boom: :rofl:

Thanks,

CT :love:

cherry pie
9th March 2008, 19:04
if you have a composter you can put it in that. just abit at a time though because it dries everything out.

CrystalTips
10th March 2008, 12:43
Thanks Cherry Pie I will mix it in with my veg peelings & grass cuttings (when the weather is dry enought to cut the grass that is) CT x

suziq
10th March 2008, 12:45
i love making stuff out of old things! i'm such a stinge pot! could you compact logs in one of those things that crush cans do you think?

jenni
10th March 2008, 12:47
Try www.logmaker.org.uk - you can use up old paper and wood chips as a quick and easy way to light the fire.

CrystalTips
10th March 2008, 12:49
Oh Suziq, not sure about making own logs, due to the possiblity of air pockets. Apparently they can superheat & explode, so thing I would have to give it a miss, but It would have been very handy to have free logs, hehe. CT x

CrystalTips
10th March 2008, 12:52
Thanks for the link Jenni, I may send them a message to see whether this would compact too much, re my above post on air pockets. If it remained loose, so to speak, within newspaper, it may work. Thanks. would be useful for all the old newspapers anyway, better than the one you need to wet, they take forever to dry.

CT x

Grace & Favour
10th March 2008, 13:01
Hi All, we are in the middle of building our own kitchen out of maple. A by-product is obviously maple chippings & sawdust. I have bin bags full of it.

I never like to throw anything away, so would welcome any ideas.

We have open fires, but a bit warey on using dust on the fire, as have read somewhere that it's a bit dangerous. But would be great to save on cost of logs etc.

I compost most things, but unsure if maple can be composted?

Have thought of making a smoker to smoke some nuts etc for next christmas, but can you use Maple?

Any ideas would be great, I'm sure someone out there has some fab ideas.

Thanks so much. CT x

Hi there,

I've often had bags of chipp[ings and sawdust, and it's really great for putting on an open fire to keep it just 'ticking over' for a few hours.

I bag the sawdust into carrier bags, (1/2 - 2/3rds full, and tie the bag tight.

last thing at night - I'll place the carrier of sawdust on the coal/coke fire, (and put a fireguard on it of course!)
The bag quickly melts, leaving the sawdust to spread out over the fire like a blanket, and it burns REALLY slowly - so slowly in fact - that it will keep the fire 'in' all night - and the following morn I simply agitate the fire, fresh coal / coke /wood and it's raring to go . .

(And it keeps the rooms warm all night - great for these stormy nights)

(If you're still nervous about trying it, do it whilst your up this evening, - you'll see it really works!

Grace & Favour
10th March 2008, 13:06
i love making stuff out of old things! i'm such a stinge pot! could you compact logs in one of those things that crush cans do you think?

The best way of making these longs Suzi is to open your paper(s), fold it lengthways to suit the width of your fireplace, and roll it into a really tight 'Stick', before you complete the rolling take another newspaper, (same width) and interleave it into the tail of your roll, then continue to roll.

Continue this until the roll is about 4" (10 cms) in diameter, and then tie it off with a twist of garden wire.

It's very important that you roll it as tight as possible!

put this on a well lit fire in the evening, and it (or they - I sometimes use two) will burn slowly for many hours, giving off a nice gentle heat . . ..

Grace & Favour
10th March 2008, 13:08
Thanks Cherry Pie I will mix it in with my veg peelings & grass cuttings (when the weather is dry enought to cut the grass that is) CT x

Hi CT - A word of warning . . use VERY little in your compost - as wood dust can take three to four years to break down!

suziq
10th March 2008, 13:09
you've set me of now g&f! not lit the fire since before xmas

CrystalTips
10th March 2008, 13:26
Woohoo, I phoned the "LogMaker" company, left message & had a return call about 10 mins after (hows that for service). Spoke to a really nice chap (the inventor), he said it would be fine for sawdust, basically that's what he invented it for. A good bloke, not a pushy salesman, just a very helpful & down to earth guy.

I'm off now to order one, possibly a couple for friends too. It's a great product, which allows you to burn all sorts in these little parcels, that you don't have to wet & wait to dry, make & ready to use.

So if you have an open fire, woodburning stove, chimnea etc you can use household & garden waste as fuel. Fab. www.logmaker.org.uk

If you mention me, (PM for details) you may also get a discount, not sure what, but it's better than nothing. No I'm not on commission.

So a BIG thank you Jenni. CT x (one happy bunny)

Grace & Favour
10th March 2008, 13:27
you've set me of now g&f! not lit the fire since before xmas

Heh heh! (we lit ours last night - it's great burning logs on a winters stormy night . . . )

Please note, that newspaper logs are fine (as long as they have a well lit fire to go on to), but I suggest you do not use glossy mags, they really do not burn nearly as well . . . . . newpaper sems to have the right mixture of paper, air and print (it's the ink that really keeps them alight of course!)

CrystalTips
10th March 2008, 13:32
Thanks so much G&F, what a lovely lot of info, your so good to me. X.

I did think about the time it took for the chipping to break down.

As for the bag full of chippings, I will give that a go tonight & see how I get on. Try not to use coal/coke, burn wood as much as poss, doing my bit for the environment. Will the heat be enough from my logs to burn the bag of chippings? Well I will try a small bag full & see.

Thank you all, I will let you know tomorrow, how the bag of chippings goes. CT (BIG hugs) x

CrystalTips
11th March 2008, 09:57
Well I took C&F's advice & put the shavings onto the fire last evening, early so I could watch over it.

I seemed to work in the beginning, until the whole of the bag was gone, then it was like watching (& trying to stop) a waterfall. A Good quantity, some burning, came out through the bars on the grate & onto the hearth & floor. :flame::censored: Oops. So good job I was there really. What stayed in the grate did burn, but was all but gone within about 30mins. I think if you had a more enclosed fire, where you could keep the bag & then it's content in the grate, it would definately be more effective. As for me, I will be using it as kindling (as it burnt so quickly), & try it out on my new gadget, when it arrives.

A thin layer of shavings as kindling has worked wonders this morning, so I thank you G&F for making me try, as I have found another use for it , for me. :clap2:

Thanks guys & gals, I will let you know how the new Logmaker works as once as I received it.

Grace & Favour
11th March 2008, 13:09
Well I took C&F's advice & put the shavings onto the fire last evening, early so I could watch over it.

I seemed to work in the beginning, until the whole of the bag was gone, then it was like watching (& trying to stop) a waterfall. A Good quantity, some burning, came out through the bars on the grate & onto the hearth & floor. :flame::censored: Oops. So good job I was there really. What stayed in the grate did burn, but was all but gone within about 30mins. I think if you had a more enclosed fire, where you could keep the bag & then it's content in the grate, it would definately be more effective. As for me, I will be using it as kindling (as it burnt so quickly), & try it out on my new gadget, when it arrives.

A thin layer of shavings as kindling has worked wonders this morning, so I thank you G&F for making me try, as I have found another use for it , for me. :clap2:

Thanks guys & gals, I will let you know how the new Logmaker works as once as I received it.

Oooh dear!!!!

Mmm - obviously you have a very open fron to the fire?? . . 'cos burning shavings on the floor (?? - no hearth??) not a good idea generally!!)

Although - I was suggesting that you use sawdust, (as opposed to shavings) - and sawdust is a lot less mobile than 'bits', (and forms the blanket I was talking about)

But well done for discovering the shavings make good kindling . . . all very useful

CrystalTips
22nd March 2008, 13:52
Well, I received my new log maker & it's brill. :clap2: Thanks Jenni, for the heads up.

Only thing is I have to go rummaging through the neighbours recycle bins to aquire Newspapers. Ok I've turned into a bag lady. :kev:

This means that all my named junk mail, Wood shaving & chippings can all be burnt. I no longer need any fire lighters or kindle as the logs work wonderfully without it.

I have also given a couple of bags of larger chippings to the local school for the pets corner.

Thanks all for the help, CT x :love: