PDA

View Full Version : CLUBCARD DEALS Holiday insurance

Pages : [1] 2 3

devondumpling
23rd September 2006, 12:43
Hi all,
have registered here at last - no problems, just lack of time! Good to catch up with everyone again:)
Am about to book a holiday through Tesco deals but feel obliged to take out their travel insurance due to the fear of no other company covering the cost of the vouchers. Tesco insurance seems to be so much dearer than others though. Any suggestions?

By the way, love all the different smilies - couldn't find one with the dinner burning beside it though, as we've all had this happen to us while we've been chatting away:rolleyes:

devondumpling
23rd September 2006, 12:46
whoops, first post on this forum and can't even get my spelling right in the title - please feel free to correct if possible:o

tiger
23rd September 2006, 14:26
Changed it for you Devon.
Nice to see you here.:)

penfold
23rd September 2006, 14:55
Hi all,
have registered here at last - no problems, just lack of time! Good to catch up with everyone again:)
Am about to book a holiday through Tesco deals but feel obliged to take out their travel insurance due to the fear of no other company covering the cost of the vouchers. Tesco insurance seems to be so much dearer than others though. Any suggestions?

By the way, love all the different smilies - couldn't find one with the dinner burning beside it though, as we've all had this happen to us while we've been chatting away:rolleyes:

don't know, but I have a 100 point insurance coupon if you want :D

Seriously, I'm glad you brought up this question as I have been meaning to ask for ages....I'm sure there was a thread posted months ago and there are a few others companies. I'm sure the others shall be along soon.

Glad you're here devondumpling, think your avatar is so fab and always makes me smile everytime I see it!!!!!!!:D

tiger
23rd September 2006, 15:06
Maldives was asking about holiday insurance last night.
This is the one that moomoo found

http://www.travel-insurance-web.com/

best just double check that it does cover your tesco deals, but I think it does.

princess_poppet
23rd September 2006, 16:11
i am sure the travel insurance web do but pls double check as their cs are very good

devondumpling
24th September 2006, 09:26
Thanks for everyones help will look into the alternatives suggested - and thanks for all the welcomes:)

joaniemerc
16th November 2006, 17:22
Looking to buy family annual travel insurance policy but Tesco are not the most competitive - so only getting standard points doesn't justify buying from Mr T. But if anyone has any codes........ please. (Not sure if Tesco provide codes for travel insurance, so feel free to put me right if that's the case.:o)

Many thanks.

M3chanical_animal
16th November 2006, 17:31
I haven't seen any as of late but hopefully I'm wrong and someone will be able to give you one - keeping my fingers crossed for ya! :)

pumpkin
16th November 2006, 17:42
the last codes were out in the summer, although from memory it was only 100 points. I think there were some early in January this year, so perhaps the next offer will be around then, when people are booking their hols, but like anything Tesco related, who knows ....

As you say, they are generally not the most competitive, there is another company people on here use a lot, because they cover clubcard deals, will have a look for it in a mo....

pumpkin
16th November 2006, 17:45
ok, think its this company:

travel ins
(http://www.travelinsuranceweb.com/)

joaniemerc
16th November 2006, 18:10
Wow! That's fast - huge thanks M3chanical_animal and pumpkin.

Pumpkin will have a look at site.

Everyone is so lovely and helpful (and funny!) on this site:cheer2:

Maldives
16th November 2006, 18:27
That's the insurance co I am with, very competative.....

Waterfall
16th November 2006, 22:32
ok, think its this company:

travel ins
(http://www.travelinsuranceweb.com/)

OMG :eek: :eek: I am to old to take it out.. only up to 49 :pout: What can I do to cover my hols paid for in deals .. maybe SAGA :hissyfit:

:smash: I am not OLD :cool:

janedoe
17th November 2006, 09:44
If you look down the left hand side in the menu they do 50+ insurance and a 60+ insurance.

joaniemerc
17th November 2006, 12:52
Just got a quote from Pumpkin's recommendation which was fantastic - ?58.99 for an annual policy for a family of 4. Just as I was about to pay noticed this significant exclusion:

- No cover for watches, jewellery and credit cards.:eek:

Obviously need to have these items covered (God forbid we got robbed!). Couldn't find a number for the site (take it they are internet based only), but just wondered if anyone did have a number for them as I thought I might be able to pay an excess or something which would cover the above. Many thanks (again!)

M3chanical_animal
17th November 2006, 12:54
- No cover for watches, jewellery and credit cards.:eek:

Thats ridiculous! Whats the point in them offering insurance if these things aren't covered!

joaniemerc
20th November 2006, 11:27
Exactly! Very bizarre but may be they rely on people not noticing the small print and why they can provide low-cost policies. Bit naughty IMO.:nono:

bargain-hunter-uk
20th November 2006, 13:39
I have a special coupon:

save ?7.50 when you purchase ANY travel insurance policy ?29.99 or over in store only.

Buy between 1st Dec and 31St dec. Buy now and use up to 11 months before you travel.

If this might help anyone, then PM me, and we can trade some swaps or something.

Cheers

Andi

joaniemerc
22nd November 2006, 13:55
Just to let you know that thanks to OP, Sara on the General Discussion board, I have just bought an annual travel insurance policy with 1stop Travel Insurance - http://www.1stoptravelinsurance.co.uk.

They more or less halved the quote which I was going to buy from the Post Office and with no less cover.

So definitely worth getting a quote from them.:D

Angel
22nd November 2006, 19:24
I'm glad you saved some money ;)

Sunshinecoast
30th December 2006, 12:57
Hi everyone

Just trying to sort my travel insurance out for our trip to Florida paid for by deals vouchers, I just wondered who people usually use?

I was just going to pay for tesco insurance, but I was a bit concerened that if I did have to canx and reclaim my tesco vouchers/ points back that they would realise I had used a couple of clubcard accounts and this may draw attention to myself ( am I being overly paranoid?)

I had looked at travelinsurancewebb.com which was mentioned in a thread a few months ago which would cover my vouchers and is a lot cheaper, but I don't think they cover credit cards & watches.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks Sunshinecoastsarah:)

tiger
30th December 2006, 13:07
Sarah, you could insure your credit cards separately.
First direct offer this, probably other companies too

http://www.firstdirect.com/creditcards/card_protection.shtml

I don't know about watches. They are so easy to steal. My BIL had his Rolex watch stolen from his wrist in Spain, by a group of men.

bargain-hunter-uk
30th December 2006, 14:09
you could take the tesco option, and then if something does happen, merge the accounts before claiming?

Sunshinecoast
30th December 2006, 14:26
Thats a great idea bargain hunter, hadn't thought of that!:)

bargain-hunter-uk
30th December 2006, 14:51
annoyingly i have a coupon here aswell to save ?7.50 on tesco travel insurance! ends tomorrow! if i'd realised earier you could've had it! sorry!

rainbow
30th December 2006, 17:53
I remember there being a lengthy thread about tavel ins on LP. Haven't been there for a while though, but it might be worth a wee search on there to see if you can find it. There was loads of suggestions if I remember right.

Gizmos
30th December 2006, 18:09
I remember there being a lengthy thread about tavel ins on LP. Haven't been there for a while though, but it might be worth a wee search on there to see if you can find it. There was loads of suggestions if I remember right.

there's been a couple here as well ;) checkout Quidco to get some cashback

http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2193

http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=394

http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=513

that should help

fluffybunny
31st December 2006, 10:51
I posted this on LP a long time ago but if you didn't see it here goes!

You've got to be careful about which Travel Insurance you take out because most of them don't cover holidays paid for with Tesco Clubcard vouchers. It does actually say in the small print with the deals tokens for holidays. "
Check whether your holiday insurance covers the loss of the value of your Clubcard Vouchers should you have to cancel, as most policies don’t cover this. "

One of the companies that cover holidays paid for with deals tokens is http://www.travel-insurance-web.com . They are very competitive too (even if you don't pay for your holiday via Tesco vouchers)

Gizmos
31st December 2006, 10:54
One of the companies that cover holidays paid for with deals tokens is http://www.travel-insurance-web.com . They are very competitive too (even if you don't pay for your holiday via Tesco vouchers)

and they are on Quidco - 15%

Cat
1st January 2007, 00:20
I took out a policy with Travel-Insurance-Web and I'm just about to make a claim. I'll let you know how I get on as you only really find out how good an insurance company is when you try to get money out of them.

Hummer
1st January 2007, 01:10
If you can hold off till Feb March time Tesco travel insurance will be offering 1000 - 2000 bonus points on a anual policy.

They tell me no chance for January but never say never.

fluffybunny
1st January 2007, 11:51
If you can hold off till Feb March time Tesco travel insurance will be offering 1000 - 2000 bonus points on a anual policy.

They tell me no chance for January but never say never.

I remember checking last year and they seemed to be quite expensive though

Hummer
1st January 2007, 12:04
I remember checking last year and they seemed to be quite expensive though

Yes they are very expensive, but not so sure if its like for like.

However I see it like this, if I can get insurance through Tesco and it costs more I am likely to buy it just becuase it makes me look like a good customer, as opposed to a customer that only buys with extra points or money off.

For example I can get anual cover for approx ?80 for 2 Tescos are ?110 so if they gave me 1000 points id be very happy, however I would pay Tesco ?90 without bonus points just to have purchased another tesco product, as I beleive I would look a beter customer.

Another example is dog food, I can buy this in Makro, Kwik save and lidle for around 34p however I buy it at Tesco for 50p simply because its easier for me and again adds to the total spend on my clubcard account, I could be saving 16p per day

fluffybunny
1st January 2007, 14:00
Yes they are very expensive, but not so sure if its like for like.

However I see it like this, if I can get insurance through Tesco and it costs more I am likely to buy it just becuase it makes me look like a good customer, as opposed to a customer that only buys with extra points or money off.

For example I can get anual cover for approx ?80 for 2 Tescos are ?110 so if they gave me 1000 points id be very happy, however I would pay Tesco ?90 without bonus points just to have purchased another tesco product, as I beleive I would look a beter customer.

Another example is dog food, I can buy this in Makro, Kwik save and lidle for around 34p however I buy it at Tesco for 50p simply because its easier for me and again adds to the total spend on my clubcard account, I could be saving 16p per day

I don't consider myself to be a customer that only buys items to get points or money off (as I do swap the ones that I dont think I will use) as I buy absolutely everything in Tesco. But, when it comes to insurance it depends on the price.

I've got my home phone with them, a mobile phone, my credit card, a clubcard plus, powergen etc etc. Anything and everything I buy, I will look in Tesco first (the majority of my childrens Christmas toys came from Tesco!)

Some years I insure the cars with Tesco, sometimes I don't.

I've just got two quotes for a worldwide annual policy for a family of four .

Travelinsuranceweb - ?58.99
Tesco - ?124.99

I really am an avid points collector but when there is a difference of ?66 for something like this, I will go elsewhere.

Gizmos
1st January 2007, 14:04
if there is a small difference would use Tesco, if not would go elsewhere and factor in the cashback from Quidco as well. As fluffy has pointed out she is saving half so that's a fair chunk

fluffybunny
1st January 2007, 14:27
if there is a small difference would use Tesco, if not would go elsewhere and factor in the cashback from Quidco as well. As fluffy has pointed out she is saving half so that's a fair chunk

What I usually do is work out what points I get compared to the difference in price.

If I get deals worth ?40 and the difference in price is ?40 I would go with Tesco but I always weigh it up. I once paid for a holiday where they were giving a discount if I paid with cash... when I worked out the points on my Finest Credit card I was getting about the same back in deals so I paid with my card purely to have longer to pay as I'm also offsetting on our mortgage!

Groceries and instore things I just buy in Tesco... I don't go anywhere else so I dont know how much more/less things are (sounds sad doesn't it!)

My mother goes to Asda and she was very quick to point out to me that she paid ?1.33 for After Eights in Asda but when she popped into Tesco to buy a frozen leg of lamb (as none in Asda) she noticed that the After eights were ?2.66!
i tried to argue that they must have been on offer in asda but she wasnt having any of it! ( I will convert her to Tesco one day...I will...I will...I will!!!)

zoot
12th January 2007, 19:10
Reading 5lilpigs Half Term Butlins thread has prompted me to write this post.

Did you know that if you pay for a holiday using Deals at Haven or Butlins then they are not covered as part of the haven or Butlins cancellation and insurance policy?
The policy only covers you for the refund of any monies paid.
Thing is if you are short of deals by just a couple of pounds and make up the difference using cash- then they still try to sell you the policy (by not telling you that it only covers the cash)
I was given a quote tonight where I was charged ?12 cancellation insurance (For a 4 night stay)to cover only ?20 which was paid in cash. I had to point out to the sales person how ridiculous that would be.
The cancellation insurance is ?24 for a weeks stay with Haven by the way.

Apparantly the only way to cover the holiday paid for with deals is to take out a Tesco insurance policy!

Hope this makes sense and helps someone.

Gizmos
12th January 2007, 19:14
cheers Zoot

Cat
12th January 2007, 22:56
There are other insurance policies that will cover holidays booked using vouchers including Clubcard and airmiles etc.

Maldives
13th January 2007, 11:33
I took out a policy with travelinsuranceweb.com they cover clubcard, airmiles etc.... a few quirks with them about watches or something along those lines, but they also cover my scuba diving. they cost ?80 for a couple on a yearly basis.....

Cat
13th January 2007, 18:33
I took out a policy with travelinsuranceweb.com they cover clubcard, airmiles etc.... a few quirks with them about watches or something along those lines, but they also cover my scuba diving. they cost ?80 for a couple on a yearly basis.....

We've also got a ploicy with Travel-Insurance-Web, a worldwide annual family policy which cost ?58.99 !!. I got a claim going through at the moment so we'll see how they stack up when it counts.

jasmin
13th January 2007, 18:36
I think I read somewhere that only Tesco's holiday insurance would insurance against loss of deal tokens.:confused:

Maldives
14th January 2007, 11:33
That's what everyone thought, but the Travel Insurance Web do too....

Maldives
14th January 2007, 11:35
We've also got a ploicy with Travel-Insurance-Web, a worldwide annual family policy which cost ?58.99 !!. I got a claim going through at the moment so we'll see how they stack up when it counts.

Will be interesting to see how they do.... my cost would have been less, but I added scuba diving cover as an extra, as most holidays we take incorporates a dive somewhere along the line....

Keep me posted on how things go with them.... ta muchly

penfold
14th January 2007, 11:49
just got a winter sports annual family quote from these guys and very good value! Lots cheaper that mr t and better cover.

Have tried to rep you but won't let me Maldives !!! I'll save them up for you:p

Hummer
14th January 2007, 11:51
I looked at the packages and they were cheaper but when you take off the 20% buying instore tesco were cheaper. plus 1000 points

penfold
14th January 2007, 11:53
also all depends on the cover though...for winter sports the cover tesco was offering wasn't the best ...really hurts though, missing the 1000 points :(

Maldives
14th January 2007, 11:59
To be honest had a nightmare trying to take out Mr T's insurance, they screwed the names up, I was covered twice and hubby not at all, so got a refund, took the cover out again, same happened.. Tesco's excuse was hubby needed a clubcard, I paid with our tesco credit card which is in both names.. that's when I took out the insurance with Travel Insurance Web.... for the hassle I had I don't mind missing points.... I swore then didn't I :D

JANED9388
10th February 2007, 10:23
Does anyone know who else (if anyone) covers your holiday if paid for in Clubcard vouchers (other than tesco) - we can't take out theirs as they only cover diving to 18m and we usually dive to 30m or so.

DebbieE
10th February 2007, 12:14
There is another company - I've written it down somewhere - I'll be back in a bit. Their cover is really cheap, so may not cover for diving

DebbieE
10th February 2007, 12:29
ok got it www.travel-insuranceweb.com

Maldives
10th February 2007, 12:50
I have our insurance via this co as well and they do an additional diving policy you have to add to it...

Jane where are you off diving?

fluffybunny
10th February 2007, 13:03

go through quidco to get cashback!

DebbieE
10th February 2007, 17:55
Oooh - didn't know they were on there - cheers Fluffy!

JANED9388
10th February 2007, 18:07
thanks very much for the info, I'llcheck it out next week.

Maldives - going to St Lucia diving in July, then hopefully red sea in sept. Can't wait

Maldives
10th February 2007, 18:17
I love the Red Sea, will it be a live aboard or hotel based? Never dived in St Lucia, been there but way before I learnt to dive...

JANED9388
11th February 2007, 07:53
not liveaboard, although have done that before - just a cheapie with some friends (who don't collect tesco vouchers and think I'm mad for doing so), I think we'll be out diving every day so not to worried about the accomodation provided it's clean.

Maldives
11th February 2007, 12:07
DId you check out the insurance with the above company? hope you got a decent deal if you did, I know I was def happy with our...

Sorry being nosey, which hotel are you stopping in for the Red Sea? We stayed in the Hilton Sharks Bay, which is pretty good.

JANED9388
11th February 2007, 16:56
haven't looked into the insurance yet, as we've been away for the weekend and I'm using my parents PC which still has dial up and is sooooooo slow.

not sure where we are staying yet, Hilton sounds like my cup of tea, but my friend has this idea that we are staying at a bedouin (>> spelling) place, I think it's ?12 per night ! - I dread to think - she's a great friend, but our ideas of perfect holidays are worlds apart.

boysmum
5th March 2007, 20:22
Booked my holiday today with my deals, do I need to phone this company to book insurance or am I ok to do it on line, I have free travel insurance with my bank but it would not cover deal points

thanks for your help

DebbieE
5th March 2007, 21:37
I did mine on-line & don't forget to go thro' quidco!

boysmum
6th March 2007, 07:14
Thanks Debbie will do that tonight

retailtherapycathy
25th March 2007, 12:36

Sorry to be so slow :confused: but I was very interested in this link as I am due to go to Egypt in August, so I followed your link to try to find some insurance that covers the deals token part of the holiday. Unfortunately, it links to a web insurance broker that points you to a lot of other companies. Can you tell me which company covers the deals?:eyebrows:

kmdply
25th March 2007, 14:00
I've just taken out an annual European travel policy for 2 adults and 3 children for ?45. It is with Club Direct and it covers Airmiles and any other vouchers. I did it through moneysupermarket.com as it is about ?20 cheaper than going through the company direct.

penfold
25th March 2007, 14:27
I've just taken out an annual European travel policy for 2 adults and 3 children for ?45. It is with Club Direct and it covers Airmiles and any other vouchers. I did it through moneysupermarket.com as it is about ?20 cheaper than going through the company direct.

Good tip!

Wonder if there is any cashback sites who deal with them......

suzanneg
25th March 2007, 17:17
Sorry to be so slow :confused: but I was very interested in this link as I am due to go to Egypt in August, so I followed your link to try to find some insurance that covers the deals token part of the holiday. Unfortunately, it links to a web insurance broker that points you to a lot of other companies. Can you tell me which company covers the deals?:eyebrows:

Just checked the link as I have used this company before and they are very competative and there is a - missing! it should read www.travel-insurance-web.com
Try that! ;)

retailtherapycathy
26th March 2007, 22:52
Thanks! this looks really good and very good value for everyone who wants their deals covered, I dont think I have seen cheaper anywhere! :) My only problem is they dont cover existing medical conditions - :nurse: which I have (despite me going to the gym 4 times a week), they do suggest an alternative company, so will ring to see if the other company cover the deals tokens too without being too expensive...:Holiday:

laverne2004
4th April 2007, 22:14
:clap2: I'm not to sure how i have received these but on the end of my receipt it sates tbp 1000 anybody any ideas how i acquired these not that I'm complaining :D :D :D

clockwatcher
4th April 2007, 22:16
TBP? Not TPF (Tesco Personal Finance)?

laverne2004
4th April 2007, 22:18
no defo not finance

Hummer
4th April 2007, 22:18
you gained them for buying travel insurance?

clockwatcher
4th April 2007, 22:19
Hmmm... did you have a coupon to enter a competition/prize draw with a 1000-point prize?

Hummer
4th April 2007, 22:21
or From the Broadband phone or tesco home phone?

whamfanuk
4th April 2007, 22:21
tesco bonus points?

laverne2004
4th April 2007, 22:22
ah mystery solved thanks hummer i did buy travel insuranceit was ages ago so i forgot :confused:

Hummer
4th April 2007, 22:22
tesco bonus points?

Tesco Broadband Phone

Hummer
4th April 2007, 22:23
ah mystery solved thanks hummer i did buy travel insuranceit was ages ago so i forgot :confused:

Ah brilliant I finally got something right :eek:

Makes a change because i always post without thinking

laverne2004
4th April 2007, 22:25
thanks for helping out someone with a very bad memory

Hummer
4th April 2007, 22:25
Oh yes I got a few of them bonus points too :D :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

laverne2004
4th April 2007, 22:28
all my boys are getting very excited about the cricket at the moment lots of jumping up and down and making lots of strange noises

Hummer
4th April 2007, 22:30
Thats cool, maybe the title should be changed now to Travel insurance 1000 points have posted, I am sure there will be a few wondering about the extra points over the next few days.

laverne2004
4th April 2007, 22:30
oh dear we just lost to sri lanka by 2 wickets :(

mpet
4th April 2007, 22:48
Well, I've checked on the 2 accounts I was expecting the 1000 points for travel insurance on and I have been credited with ane extra 2000 points on each:clap2: I can't think of anything else where I am due that many extra points- hope Mr T doesn't notice

Mpet

weatherman
4th April 2007, 23:27
oh dear we just lost to sri lanka by 2 wickets :(

2 runs but whose arguing

M3chanical_animal
4th April 2007, 23:47
When I bought travel insurance in the last quarter I had 999 points added instantly and still had another 1,000 added for it in the statement as well so does not surprise me that it may have duplicated - nice bonus! ;)

Bargainz
5th April 2007, 07:21
account gone up overnight by exactly 2000 points. Used several tillspits in store yesterday and a double points coupon and CC+ but that was for about 890 and 140 in double points, and cc+. Could it be the travel insurance (bought one policy for two people) posted twice and yesterday's shop not yet showing?

Bargainz
5th April 2007, 07:28
Didn't spot this thread before I posted a new one. My account this morning has gone up by 2000 (one travel insurance bought). Went shopping yesterday, checked receipt and they hadn't posted then, and there is nothing other than tpf. so I'll do a short shop today, to see what it says on my receipt. Double bonus - makes up for the times we had to chase wine points!!

Hummer
5th April 2007, 10:52
Yes the travel insurance hit my account yesterday.

I am 100% sure its travel insurance points. For once everything is correct.

Hummer
5th April 2007, 10:55
I will hold off updating my points total :o

Hummer
5th April 2007, 10:58
Forgot to mention more info and Cricket results here ??

http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6189

Bargainz
5th April 2007, 16:00
Yes, just been to Tescos. Nothing for TBP, but the 2000 mysterious points overnight, are showing as TPF Bonus points - gone up by exactly that amount. It has to be the travel insurance, posted twice in error!

Gavvy
5th April 2007, 16:57
Nothing for me :-(

ruthie
5th April 2007, 17:03
Did all those people who have got points keep the insurance or return it?

Hummer
5th April 2007, 17:47

:o :cool: :o

mpet
5th April 2007, 20:18

I kept mine as I did need it. I got 999 points when I bought it and these extra 2000 points - all for a ?55 policy - gotta be good as long as Tesco don't wake upto their mistake:p

Mpet

jasmin
9th April 2007, 12:41
Please let me know how you go on. I am booking a holiday with a member of my party having a pre medical condition, and would like to know who you use thanks.

LoveABargain
9th April 2007, 13:00
Just checked the link as I have used this company before and they are very competative and there is a - missing! it should read www.travel-insurance-web.com
Try that! ;)

Thanks for that link I'm after travel insurance too - I have had a look but I can't see were they specifically mention that holidays paid with vouchers are covered?

Thanks

karen007
9th April 2007, 16:47
Thanks for that link I'm after travel insurance too - I have had a look but I can't see were they specifically mention that holidays paid with vouchers are covered?

Thanks

Columbus definately insure against Tesco bookings - see the email I recieved from them pasted below. I emailed them just to check. As you can see from their email it took a couple of emails for them to understand what I was on about!

Thank you for your recent email.

Please accept our apologies for the confusion: you are covered for cancellation of your holiday if you have used Tesco tokens to pay for it.

In the event of a claim, we would refund the lowest fare for such a holiday.

Please feel free to contact us should you require any further assistance.

Regards,

Natacha Golfier

Customer Services
COLUMBUS TRAVEL INSURANCE SERVICES LIMITED. Reg. No. 2642155. Registered in England & Wales. Reg. Add: 17 Devonshire Square, London EC2M 4SQ.

<http://www.columbusdirect.com/>

Customer Services:0870 0339 988

Fax: 0208 2535 143

LoveABargain
10th April 2007, 20:52
Thanks for that info I'll have a look at their site :)

akh46
17th April 2007, 13:12
Is the travel insurance offered by these online companies as good as say Tesco or the Post Office? I got quotes from both of these of ?27.99 Tesco and ?30 Post Office, for me and my daughter. XL (who I have booked the holiday with) wanted ?19 each.

Online I have 5 quotes from insureand go, silver cover, ?13.09, gotravel, ?16.50, 1stoptravel, ?11.80, travelinsurance, via the link above silver, ?12.42 and Atlas Direct ?11.04. These are for both of us.

Has anyone had any dealings with any of these and can recommend or otherwise. The only thing that seems different from looking at the coverage is some of the excesses are ?60-?75, whereas Tesco and Post Office are ?50 excess.

Thanks.

AKH46

sammybear
24th April 2007, 16:13
If you convert your Tesco points into Airmiles then you can take out their Travel Insurance, this covers your Airmiles as well as all the usual stuff ie: delays, medical, lost luggage etc. Its a good policy i have annual worldwide with them as i am staff.:)

sammybear
24th April 2007, 16:15
Ooh forgot to say to take advantage of the Airmiles Travel Insurance you will have to book with them, but they do package hols as well as flights etc :)

stinky minky
28th July 2007, 10:24
just a quick one! once I have booked my free or almost free holiday, when choosing my holiday insurance do i have to go with tesco to cover my deals? or if I use another company what is the risk?

clockwatcher
28th July 2007, 10:27
There is another company, which people on here have mentioned, but I can't find the thread where it was discussed. I'm sure someone will be along soon with the name.

DebbieE
28th July 2007, 11:34
travelinsuranceweb

They're on quidco too

arthurp8
28th July 2007, 11:40
is this a company that covers holidays paid with via deals? I can't see anything in their T&C's that says that they do (though there is nothing that says they don't - but insurance companies are funny beasts)

DebbieE
28th July 2007, 11:43
they do cover deals - I think ChickenCottage posted a link a while back, but I'm just off out so I haven't got time to find it - good luck

stinky minky
28th July 2007, 20:12
travelinsuranceweb

They're on quidco too

and they are soooo cheap

DebbieE
28th July 2007, 21:05
I know - a multi-trip family policy costs us the same as a 5-day European policy cost with Tesco last year for Disneyland Paris

Our*holiday*fund
9th August 2007, 16:21
can someone please help, can i take the insurance offered with xl or do i need to take it out seperate and pay cash, making sure using deals tokens is covered, thx

marmaliser
9th August 2007, 16:27
http://www.travelinsuranceweb.com/ have been mentioned before as covering CC vouchers and are a lot cheaper than the XL insurance.

Off to check if I can find mention of CC on the TIW website otherwise give em aring and check on 0870 8903641

Also don't forget your QUIDCO http://www.quidco.com/travel-insurance-web/

Khufu
9th August 2007, 16:30
Personally I have decided to buy Tesco policy and just accept it costs a bit more. The T&C on travelinsuranceweb are slightly ambiguous and refer really to airmiles. I emailed them for clarification asking specifically about Tesco deals but got no reply

marmaliser
9th August 2007, 16:32
I would expect the tesco policy to still be cheaper than XL's insurance which I don't think would cover CC vouchers anyway

Our*holiday*fund
9th August 2007, 17:03
will check it out thankyou, xl quoted ?78 for 2 weeks, 2 aldults 15 and 5 year old, didnt think that was bad but remembered someone mentioning cc deals needing different insurance

marmaliser
9th August 2007, 17:06
With Tesco its http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/insurance/travelins/quote.jsp

15 day European policy for a family This policy covers 2 adults and up to 4 children for one trip to European destinations, for up to 15 days (including travelling days). The trip must start and end in the UK. Your quote is ?47.49

Khufu
9th August 2007, 17:07
Remember to look at the instore policy as well as the phone up one they are different and cost different amounts

Our*holiday*fund
9th August 2007, 17:08
With Tesco its http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/insurance/travelins/quote.jsp

thats great thx, have repped you for your help :)

Our*holiday*fund
9th August 2007, 17:10
Remember to look at the instore policy as well as the phone up one they are different and cost different amounts

thx for that, wouldnt have relised, all i need now is my mailing so i can book :) have sent you both reps for the help :)

gobbyash
9th August 2007, 17:46
With a Natwest Advantage Gold/Premier Account I have never had to buy insurance.

They confirmed I was covered even if I paid in Clubcard Deals.

chirpy007
13th August 2007, 18:52
http://www.travelinsuranceweb.com/ have been mentioned before as covering CC vouchers and are a lot cheaper than the XL insurance.

Off to check if I can find mention of CC on the TIW website otherwise give em aring and check on 0870 8903641

Also don't forget your QUIDCO http://www.quidco.com/travel-insurance-web/

I just rang these and they said they didnt cover deals :(

marmaliser
13th August 2007, 19:35
I just rang these and they said they didnt cover deals :(
Thanks for confirming that, I did check all the Tc's but could not find anything

chirpy007
13th August 2007, 21:37
I also rang Virgin who said their insurance doesnt cover deals so looks like it will have to be Tescos (and with minor pre-exsiting) it looks like its going to cost big time ;)

Gizmos
13th August 2007, 21:38
would it be cheaper for the pre-existing to take our a separate policy and the rest of the party on another??

chirpy007
13th August 2007, 21:45
would it be cheaper for the pre-existing to take our a separate policy and the rest of the party on another??

Great idea but we both have had sciatica ;) Other half says not to mention it but we have on our other polices and i worry sensless about travel insurance.

Gizmos
13th August 2007, 21:46
ok sorry about that didnt realise there was more than one pre-existing

chirpy007
13th August 2007, 21:49
ok sorry about that didnt realise there was more than one pre-existing

No, thanks for the idea ;)

Freestyle
13th August 2007, 22:27
Hi
Just wondered if one of you lovely people could help me please. I am due to go on holiday to Turkey paid for in deals as yet I have no insurance, the question i have is would any insurance cover me for illness etc whilst on holiday or would i still need the Tesco insurance to get paid out if something happened whilst away, just wondered if you only needed the Tesco insurance to cover against cancellation before the holiday.

Any help appreciated cos i need to get sorted as soon as. Thanks

chirpy007
13th August 2007, 22:39
If you have Tesco insurance it would cover you like normal holiday insurance you just have the added bonus of having your deals covered as well should there be a problem.

Freestyle
13th August 2007, 22:54
Thanks Chirpy007 for your reply, but what i am asking is that with Tescos insurance being double the price of other insurances that i have quotes for and with only a fortnight to go is it worth paying the extra or would normal insurance still give me the cover required whilst i am away or would normal insurances not cover me for illness etc whilst away cos i paid in deals. Sorry if this sounds a bit confused I have tried to explain it as best i can. Thanks

chirpy007
14th August 2007, 06:09
No normal insurance would give you all the cover you need you just wouldnt be covered for the loss of the part you have paid for in deals :confused:

Im a bit of a chicken with insurance and like to cover myself wherever possible, personally im going to go with Tesco but thousands of people travel with no problems. Personal choice really on what sort of risk taker you are :D

ninja_ang
21st August 2007, 16:30
As the title says really, I called tesco to get a quote on insurance for a hols paid for in deals and it came out at almost ?50 more than the instore policy. I just wondered if any knew if the ones that you can buy instore cover you aswell?
xxx

Khufu
21st August 2007, 16:35
Yes I rang up last week and asked what the difference is between teh phone ones and instore. Basically both cover deals just they have different limits on, so check out hte phone version before you buy as well (In store is cheaper but less cover)

ninja_ang
21st August 2007, 16:38
Thanks for your reply, do you know how much the instore one covers?
xxx

Bigbairn
21st August 2007, 16:50
A few weeks ago I actually read through the small print on the online policy for annual worldwide travel insurance (sad i know) and it doesn't specifically state that holidays paid for in deals will be covered. When I called Tesco insurance to query this, the person I spoke to confirmed that it doesn't actually say so in the policy document but in reality Tesco would pay out on holidays paid for in deals. However, I must admit that when it comes to insurance I would rather have it down in black and white.:rolleyes: Does anyone have anything from Tesco insurance which confirms that holidays paid for in deals would be refunded if the policy conditions were met?

chirpy007
24th August 2007, 17:54
I cant get any other insurance for covering my deals booking and having two minor pre-conditions. This years insurance was ?87, next year with Tesco ?243.00 !!!!!!! i think they are outrageous but im going to have to book with them.:mad::mad:

lleck
24th August 2007, 19:13
i am going to have this problem too, my husband is booked to have a heart valve and aorta replacement at the end of this month - i will have to take tesco insurance to cover the deals but was wondering what the hike would be.

I don't even know if it counts when the op has been done, he will be on wharfarin then for the rest of his life but if all goes well, the consultant said he should be able to lead a normal life and won't be as knackered.

It looks like you'll just have to grin and bear it. :mad:

clockwatcher
24th August 2007, 20:06
There is at least one other company that covers Deals - there's at least one thread about it somewhere. Don't know how much they;'d charge with an existing medical condition, but got to be worth looking into.

chirpy007
25th August 2007, 07:06
i am going to have this problem too, my husband is booked to have a heart valve and aorta replacement at the end of this month - i will have to take tesco insurance to cover the deals but was wondering what the hike would be.

I don't even know if it counts when the op has been done, he will be on wharfarin then for the rest of his life but if all goes well, the consultant said he should be able to lead a normal life and won't be as knackered.

It looks like you'll just have to grin and bear it. :mad:

Good luck to you and your husband, l hope it all goes well and the insurance isnt to high.

chirpy007
25th August 2007, 07:11
There is at least one other company that covers Deals - there's at least one thread about it somewhere. Don't know how much they;'d charge with an existing medical condition, but got to be worth looking into.

Yeah thanks, its travelinsurance web but

they will cover deals, they wont cover the pre ex which is fine as its only sciatica (for both of us) BUT you can only book 6 months in advance..........:nono::nono::nono::nono:how crap is that unless you are doing a late deal ????????????????????????????????

to be honest i dont think our pre ec have much to do with the rate, its just they are sooooooooooooooo expensive. I tried loads of other companies but no luck.

Who has everyone else gone with,are you risking booking and then getting insurance nearer the time ?

shopper
27th August 2007, 17:34
Is their any extra points to be had for a annual policy for a family Thanks Sandi

MrSmith
27th August 2007, 21:23
Hi
I have not seen anything in store or at the Personal Finance Desk. Then again this year I changed over to Tesco House insurance and got a free years Family travel insurance, now thats another offer to watch out for.

The sad thing is that the Tesco insurance was cheaper (by a lot) than my other insurance company and with the saving of the annual travel insurance (which we always take), it was a great offer to sign up for.

So maybe its not always about points but others ways to save.

regards

bloaty
28th August 2007, 00:04
Is their any extra points to be had for a annual policy for a family Thanks Sandi

There is a 500 point coupon coming out with some clubcard statements when you buy any Instant Annual Travel policy in-store.

smerch1468
28th August 2007, 08:11
try quidco u can get up to ?120 cashback

sueplane
29th August 2007, 10:04
In light of the XL post yesterday, I've just booked holiday insurance with Tesco to hopefully cover the cost of the deals should the worst happen and the holiday is cancelled.

The cost for four of us for a week was ?46, which I didn't think was too bad, but apparently if the trip is cancelled then we would be subject to a ?50 excess per person when recouping the cost of the deals, so it would cost ?200 to get them back.

mmm
29th August 2007, 11:02
Ive just booked my insurance & it cost me ?91.

My high BP & gaul stones are covered so im quite pleased.

mummytotwo
29th August 2007, 11:09
we had that when we had to cancel a holiday as my niece was seriously ill. They said we wouldn't get our deposit back. TBH at the time we didn't really care about the money anyway.

What happened yesterday with XL anyway?

My niece had an illness that is very rare but each time she flies you have to state she had this illness and they hike up the insurance. She had it but is no more likely to get it again as I am to get it.

sueplane
29th August 2007, 11:13
Hi mummytotwo, see this thread:

http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14054

mummytotwo
29th August 2007, 11:21
Oh thanks for this. Definitely think it is worth having the insurance immediately if you are booking clubcard. Would hate to lose the 'free' holiday.

As you say Seaplane ?46 for a holiday isn't much at all :D Sure you will have a great time:D

joaniemerc
29th August 2007, 11:22
Thanks for posting the link sueplane - I hadn't seen it. I'm going with XL to Kos in October half-term so fingers crossed and hopefully it's just XL down-sizing staff over winter months.

31st August 2007, 17:15
I know someone will be able to help me out here! I have read before that another company as well as Tesco provide travel insurance to cover holidays paid for with Tesco Deals.

Anyone know the company name / link please?

Also would like any advice on who it is best to use!
Thanks

chirpy007
31st August 2007, 17:29
its travelinsuranceweb

They dont cover pre-existing though and you can only buy the insurance 6 (poss 9) months before you go

31st August 2007, 17:54
Thanks - I will look into that.

31st August 2007, 18:07
Anyone know any others? These seem incredibly cheap but don't cover lots of things that are normally covered - eg watches, jewellry, etc.......

WELSH-DRAGON
31st August 2007, 18:22
I've just got a quote and it's ?15.50 for one week's cover single trip for our family of 6.

Also, if you do use them don't forget to go through quidco it's 15% cashback which is another ?2.33 off the price for me !

80934 - check out quidco as they have a few companies on there and you'll get the cashback too

Welshy x

ploverpalace
31st August 2007, 18:25
Do we need insurance specifically for our (part paid for by deals) hol then? Can i not just go through the company we normally use?

WELSH-DRAGON
31st August 2007, 18:29
for me personally I was offered insurance with xl.com but I decided to shop around. We haven't been abroad lately so do not have a travel policy already and I am getting one for us and not specifically because I used deals vouchers (if that makes sense).

31st August 2007, 18:57
Do we need insurance specifically for our (part paid for by deals) hol then? Can i not just go through the company we normally use?

I was told by XL that they could not offer me cover as they do not cover the deals voucher part of the payment. Also the company I used this year for insurance do not cover vouchers unless you have "paid" for them.

31st August 2007, 19:00
I've just got a quote and it's ?15.50 for one week's cover single trip for our family of 6.

Also, if you do use them don't forget to go through quidco it's 15% cashback which is another ?2.33 off the price for me !

80934 - check out quidco as they have a few companies on there and you'll get the cashback too

Welshy x

Thanks for the info - Xl told me they could not cover me as their insurance does not cover deals vouchers, and I just went ahead and bought the insurance with travelinsurance web for ?8 for myself and my daughter for 1 week. I did note however that they don't cover credit cards, jewellry, watches etc - but at that price, I will not complain! Forgot quidco though:mad:

WELSH-DRAGON
31st August 2007, 19:55
I just bought my insurance thru quidco and got my policy via email - at the bottom of the email is a ?20 discount voucher code wys ?50 on wine

welshy x

chirpy007
31st August 2007, 20:58
If you have no pre ex then i think i would be happy to pay Tesco prices, average ?70 for a family worldwide. The cover looks good, deals are covered and you know who you are dealing with.

31st August 2007, 21:04
Thanks for that - I will look into this, as the one I have taken out gives 14 days to change your mind!

DebbieE
31st August 2007, 21:23
check out your own contents insurance too if travelinsurance-web don't cover cards, jewellery etc as many home policies do cover for these away from home

kmdply
1st September 2007, 23:26
http://www.clubdirect.com also cover airmiles and other vouchers. I took out an annual European policy with them in June and it cost ?45 for 2 adults and 3 children.

To get the cheapest price go through moneysupermarket.com instead of going directly with clubdirect. It is about ?20 cheaper.

chirpy007
3rd September 2007, 14:34
http://www.clubdirect.com also cover airmiles and other vouchers. I took out an annual European policy with them in June and it cost ?45 for 2 adults and 3 children.

To get the cheapest price go through moneysupermarket.com instead of going directly with clubdirect. It is about ?20 cheaper.

Rang this comnpany who confirmed they do cover deals but you cant book further than 6 months in advance :nono::nono::nono::nono::nono: i think they are also part of travelinsuranceweb as he already had me on file.

ninja_ang
3rd September 2007, 15:14
I managed to get my insurance for may next year with travelinsuranceweb last week, so don't know why they won't insure you more than 6 months in advance!
xxx

chirpy007
3rd September 2007, 20:41
I managed to get my insurance for may next year with travelinsuranceweb last week, so don't know why they won't insure you more than 6 months in advance!
xxx

Thats 3 linked companies(TIW link to their over 50 site) that have told me that, one was 9 months and the other 2 were 6 months

marmaliser
3rd September 2007, 20:47
its travelinsuranceweb

They dont cover pre-existing though and you can only buy the insurance 6 (poss 9) months before you go
They don't cover Deals anymore either :(.

3rd September 2007, 21:51
Oh No!!!!!!! If they don't cover deals am I left with just Tesco who do now?? I have emailed travelinsurance.web to ask for confirmation and will post when I get a reply..............

DebbieE
3rd September 2007, 22:47

Where did u get the info from?

I think someone rang them last week & they confirmed that they did cover for air miles & Tesco deals.

Maldives
3rd September 2007, 22:49
Don't they Marmaliser since when??

fluffybunny
3rd September 2007, 23:27

i've checked my policy and this is what it says in the small print:-

(If travel arrangements were paid for by
Air Miles or by any other form of redeemable
vouchers, reimbursement will be the
reinstatement of the Air Miles or redeemable
vouchers to their original account.

chirpy007
4th September 2007, 06:43
I rang them last week and they said they did. You may have got a mis-informed tele sales person :eek:

daveoc
4th September 2007, 07:41
Marmaliser,

Yesterday, in the thread concerning insurance companies that cover vouchers, you posted a message saying that travel insurance web no longer offer this cover.

Can you please give further information as I, and I'm sure many other people on here, use these people.

I have one high value holiday booked, and I'm about to book another, so I do not want to take any risks.

dave

rainbow
4th September 2007, 08:08
I have my home insurance from Directline (through quidco of course!). It includes free European Travel Insurance. I can't see it covering Deals though, but it's a good free extra for anyone thinking of changing their home insurance.

marmaliser
4th September 2007, 08:40
Don't they Marmaliser since when??
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago and there was no mention in the t&c's and someone phoned them http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12793&highlight=www.travel-insuranceweb.com&page=2. have i got the wrong company or something? . Apologies if I have :o

marmaliser
4th September 2007, 08:41
It was based on this thread http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12793&highlight=www.travel-insuranceweb.com&page=2 but it appears there were more recent ones that confirm that they do. Sorry Mick

ninja_ang
4th September 2007, 08:45
I think that there has been a lot of discussion on whether this is the case or not, it is the same company that we're all talking about, it was reported on here and mse that they don't cover deals, but both chirpy and myself called them last week and they confrimed that they do cover deals, you might get back points, or if not the cheapest flight and accomodation price!
So I am hoping that this is the case as I booked with them last week!
xxx

Khufu
4th September 2007, 10:00
It was me throwing doubt on it - please make sure you check the policy before you buy and make sure it meets your need - I don't, personally, feel that it reads that it covers deals - they may only cover you to the 1/4 value if you see what I mean

daveoc
4th September 2007, 14:09
Eeek!!!.

I suppose we will only know for certain when some poor unfortunate has to claim (crosses fingers and says please don't let it be me).

I guess, unless anyone knows differently, the only Company insurance certain to cover vouchers is Tesco's own.

When I first took out the policy with travel insurance web two years back I had email confirmation from them that they did cover tesco vouchers---but that was two years ago.

dave

indy
4th September 2007, 17:37
does any one know when you buy travel insurance from tesco it says to keep a note off your policy number but i cant find the policy number in pack or on my receipt the only think i can think off is it my clubcard number ?

chirpy007
4th September 2007, 17:59
They told me that they would only replace deals with deals and not cash, thats to be expected although i cant see how they can give the deals back.

joaniemerc
4th September 2007, 20:53
Indy - I last bought Tesco insurance about 2 years ago and I think you're right - the purchase is linked to your Clubcard number (as you have to have a Clubcard to be able to purchase their insurance - instore anyway). I think it also mentioned that your receipt has to be kept with your pack for the insurance to be valid.
J

Scottishnellie
4th September 2007, 21:55
I'm sure thats right. I've had Tesco travel insurance umpteen times (each Mr T holiday!) and its always just been the pack with the receipt attached. And it is linked to your clubcard number, at least thats what I've been told by the cashier each time I've bought one.

penfold
4th September 2007, 21:57
I couldn't find it either but when I called to claim they gave me the details on the phone.

mark
4th September 2007, 23:44
The policy number is on the card with the emergency phone details to take while away.

daveoc
5th September 2007, 07:55
They told me that they would only replace deals with deals and not cash, thats to be expected although i cant see how they can give the deals back.

That's much the same as they told me, but I can't see how they can get your points back onto your accounts. Unless they have some sort of arrangement with Tesco.

I do hope they are not telling people what they want to hear just to sell the insurance:confused:

dave

marmaliser
5th September 2007, 08:56
That's much the same as they told me, but I can't see how they can get your points back onto your accounts. Unless they have some sort of arrangement with Tesco.

I do hope they are not telling people what they want to hear just to sell the insurance:confused:

dave
How could you suggest such a thing :rolleyes: :)

bluwkd
5th September 2007, 11:36
I think that there has been a lot of discussion on whether this is the case or not, it is the same company that we're all talking about, it was reported on here and mse that they don't cover deals, but both chirpy and myself called them last week and they confrimed that they do cover deals, you might get back points, or if not the cheapest flight and accomodation price!
So I am hoping that this is the case as I booked with them last week!
xxx

me too :shocked: booked after reading the small print as posted above by fluffybunny..

Maverick
5th September 2007, 11:47
Thing is how would they do this I wonder? I can sort of understand airmiles as they are purchasable, whereas deals are not?

marmaliser
5th September 2007, 11:51
Its a very Grey area and no one will find out unless they make a claim :eek:

Personally I was happy taking the risk with a ?1200 holiday but I am not sure i would with some of the high amounts that you guys are paying. I guess the only one to realy trust here is Tesco's own.

Maverick
5th September 2007, 11:54
and even then how would it work with the vouchers having come from multiple accs? I wonder?

marmaliser
5th September 2007, 11:59
and even then how would it work with the vouchers having come from multiple accs? I wonder?
There would be a whole boat load of questions and queries just like this. My guess is you would end up with the original cash value of your clubcard vouchers and thats it.

Maverick
5th September 2007, 12:03
Just had a look at the tesco policy and the annual cover is only up to ?2500, I guess it also depends on what your invoice says from the company do they all state cc vouchers, I wonder.

I never normally bother with cancellation insurance, if I lose a holiday its not the end of the world, but then I dont normally spend much as I travel independantly.

But I do get medical cover as the sort of places I go, you may need repatriation and that does not come cheap!

May just do that again, ?2500 isnt going to cover half the cost any ways.......

Maverick
5th September 2007, 12:27
Ok guys, I like to try and get to the bottom of things, and I have just spoken to a manager at Travel insurance web, and I asked if deals were covered they said yes, so I asked how they would be refunded to me in the case of cancelation, they said the airmiles would be credited back to my acc, I explained that they were not airmiles they were vouchers. I was then told I would be reissued deals vouchers, I asked how they did this, as they were not purchasable, are they not they said.
How did you get them then I was
asked, I explained it was a reward scheme, and that I had shopped a lot at Mr T.
Oh right, if we cant buy them, then they wouldnt be covered then. Airmiles are covered as we can buy those.
To me this is too ambiguious, I just cant see how they can get Tescos to re issue deals, I cant see any other insurance covering it.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I would rarther you all knew, and could buy insurance that covers you in case, rarther than having a cover that may not be right.
To those that may have been missold the insurance, I guess under distance selling you have a right to cancel within a certain time frame, if that has passed then you can explain you have been missold.
Untill I pushed for an explanation as to how they refund these vouchers, he was just telling me what he thought I wanted to hear.

Nana
5th September 2007, 13:57
[QUOTE=Maverick;247341]Just had a look at the tesco policy and the annual cover is only up to ?2500, I guess it also depends on what your invoice says from the company do they all state cc vouchers, I wonder.

My invoice from Cosmos does not indicate that deals vouchers have been used - just says :
Total Holiday Cost ?3276
Less Received ?3076
Balance Due ?200

My invoice from XL says
Total Cost ?398
Amount Paid ?398
Balance Due ?0

So unless the insurance company contacts the tour operator to ask if we paid by deals they would not know.

daveoc
5th September 2007, 16:38
How could you suggest such a thing :rolleyes: :)

Just seen the other thread and it seems that's exactly what they have been doing.

That leaves things somewhat up in the air.It looks as though only Tesco guarantee to cover them, but then only to a certain amount.

What to do, what to do!!!!.

dave

chirpy007
5th September 2007, 18:02
[QUOTE=Maverick;247341]Just had a look at the tesco policy and the annual cover is only up to ?2500, I guess it also depends on what your invoice says from the company do they all state cc vouchers, I wonder.

My invoice from Cosmos does not indicate that deals vouchers have been used - just says :
Total Holiday Cost ?3276
Less Received ?3076
Balance Due ?200

My invoice from XL says
Total Cost ?398
Amount Paid ?398
Balance Due ?0

So unless the insurance company contacts the tour operator to ask if we paid by deals they would not know.

Interesting thought, are you willing to gamble :D

99redballs
5th September 2007, 20:56
tesco's have in the past had extra points on travel ins.
i shall wait untill then to buy mine!!!

kmdply
5th September 2007, 23:02
I have an annual policy with http://www.clubdirect.com/. I had to cancel our holiday earlier this year.

Flights were paid for by clubcard deals and hotel was not. We cancelled 44 days before the departure date. Xl have a cancellation charge of 25% if departure is greater than 42 days. XL sent the vouchers back to Tesco and I had them refunded onto my August statement.

The cancellation charge and the hotel costs were claimed on the insurance with no problems. I had sent them all the Xl invoices and no questions were ever asked about how it was paid.

I had paid the fuel supplements and passenger duty by Visa and the rest was paid for in deals. There is no breakdown or mention on the invoice of how it was paid.

Hope this helps.

Also cancelled Purple Parking and they were also sent back to Tesco to be refunded onto clubcard.

daveoc
6th September 2007, 07:38
Stranger and stranger.

I thought I recognised the name Club Direct and sure enough when I looked at my travel insurance web policy they appear to be the same people as their name is all over the paperwork.

I really dont know where we stand now :help:

Thinking about tesco's own policy I'm guessing that it would be fine for 'normal' people but us who use multiple accounts might have a problem.

If we had to claim they would check and see the points were from multiple accounts and that could lead to problems.

I cannot see a simple, definite answer to this. It all seems to be that you take a gamble and hope for the best.

dave

Maverick
6th September 2007, 09:23
yes but if the invoices from the holiday companies dont show payment method then you are home and dry as you will be refunded cash, which obviously is fine!

MajorieDawes
6th September 2007, 11:47
yes but if the invoices from the holiday companies dont show payment method then you are home and dry as you will be refunded cash, which obviously is fine!

I would agree with this line of thought. It should be irrelevant how you paid for the holiday. So long as you have an invoice for the cost of the holiday, and that shows it has been paid, then that should be sufficient.

In my opinon the Tesco warning about Deals not being covered is an attempt to coerce you into buying their insurance.

fluffybunny
6th September 2007, 19:12
i've just been surfing the tesco site . I've just seen this on the tesco virgin page...

Things to remember...

Insurance

Check whether your holiday insurance covers the loss of the value of your Clubcard Vouchers should you have to cancel, as most policies don’t cover this. Tesco Travel Insurance does offer a policy which covers the loss of Clubcard Vouchers under an insured event.For details, phone - 0845 300 88 00 (Typetalk 18001 0845 300 88 00). Please see Clubcard Deals terms and conditions for more information.

read it here -
http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=370 (virgin)
http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=154&bci=4294967232|Holidays (cosmos)
http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=169&bci=4294967232|Holidays (fred olsen)

****edit****
It says it does offer a policy which covers the loss but it doesnt sound like all policies do.

I would have thought they all did as a matter of course but it doesnt sound like it.

check your policy!

fluffybunny
6th September 2007, 19:19
deleted

la60
6th September 2007, 19:20
Im confused - does it or doesnt it, your title says no the content says yes:confused:

:help:

flossycandy
6th September 2007, 19:22
I always thought that most companies dont but Tesco do.

mummytotwo
6th September 2007, 19:27
iu think that what OP is saying is that Tesco's standard policy doesn't but they offer a policy that will.

Not sure if it is one of the same.

fluffybunny
6th September 2007, 19:31
yes, sorry, i didnt word it correctly (drinking some of my wine lake) :o:o:o

la60
6th September 2007, 19:33
Ahh, i see - obviously having a blonde moment :) that does read better now

postiepaula
6th September 2007, 19:44
i am an advantage gold member...(natwest) there overdraft package...i think it is ?16 a month:eek:
which as one of it's 'perks' offers free travel insurance...when i booked my 2 weeks in florida, with virgin, i phoned them to ask, 'am i covered' they replied that yes i was!

weather of not if it came to it, it would be honoured, i don't know

hope this has helped
xx

Dominic
6th September 2007, 20:12
i am an advantage gold member...(natwest) there overdraft package...i think it is ?16 a month:eek:

Yer joking right? A PTS member paying for personal banking?!!? I had Advantage Gold for free then they tried to get me to pay for it - I said :nono:

I've got a credit zone (overdraft) on my (free) Natwest current plus account which costs nothing apart from a few pence interest when I use it.

I couldn't work out what they were giving me for the ?16 a month apart from travel insurance, which doesn't cover Tesco vouchers anyway!

Dom

la60
6th September 2007, 22:42
I used to work in travel claims (few years ago but still work on the underwriting/servicing side of things) when making a cancellation claim all the insurance co wants from the tour op is the booking invoice & cancellation invoice - this gives them how much you paid for the hol and confirms whether any refund was given.

When i cancelled my flights with XL in Junei got a canc invoice and like the booking invoice no where does it indicate that payment was made by vouchers - So as far as the insurance company is concerned your home dry. Cant comment on Cosmos/Virgin as not seen there invoices.

As for the Insurance company writing to the Tour op for verification - this just wouldnt happen for a couple of reasons, the Data protection act for one - and the admin costs involved for the insurance company(they just cant be a*sed really!! lol) They would write to the policy holder and ask them to get the info

HTH

PS - With my insurance hat on, if you do have any ongoing or pre existing medical condition no matter how trivial - please declare it and ensure its documented on your schedule - its in your own interest. We have lots of customers saying it was 'only high blood pressure' or 'only high cholesterol' when faced with a 20-50 k med bill :(

fluffybunny
8th September 2007, 17:35
I used to work in travel claims (few years ago but still work on the underwriting/servicing side of things) when making a cancellation claim all the insurance co wants from the tour op is the booking invoice & cancellation invoice - this gives them how much you paid for the hol and confirms whether any refund was given.

When i cancelled my flights with XL in Junei got a canc invoice and like the booking invoice no where does it indicate that payment was made by vouchers - So as far as the insurance company is concerned your home dry. Cant comment on Cosmos/Virgin as not seen there invoices.

As for the Insurance company writing to the Tour op for verification - this just wouldnt happen for a couple of reasons, the Data protection act for one - and the admin costs involved for the insurance company(they just cant be a*sed really!! lol) They would write to the policy holder and ask them to get the info

HTH

PS - With my insurance hat on, if you do have any ongoing or pre existing medical condition no matter how trivial - please declare it and ensure its documented on your schedule - its in your own interest. We have lots of customers saying it was 'only high blood pressure' or 'only high cholesterol' when faced with a 20-50 k med bill :(

can anyone who's booked with Virgin or Cosmos let us know what it says on your invoices... does it say "vouchers" etc?

Maverick
8th September 2007, 17:36
my online invoice for virgin says clubcard discount for the full amount...........

bluwkd
9th September 2007, 14:38
can anyone who's booked with Virgin or Cosmos let us know what it says on your invoices... does it say "vouchers" etc?

my cosmos invoice shows amounts for -

total holiday cost... ?1,xxx
less received... ?1,xxx
balance due... ?xxx

no mention of cc deals vouchers being used as part payment

vectradam
16th September 2007, 23:09
what insurance companies cover you if youve paid the vast majority of the holiday in deal vouchers

thanks

baffled
17th September 2007, 00:22
Hi vectra and welcome!

Tesco does!

There's another co., too.

Hang around and you will get 'chapter and verse' b4 too long!

Best,

B..

baconbap
17th September 2007, 21:25
There's a thread here
http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14277

My cosmos invoice doesn't mention deals vouchers, so I'm just going to stick with my ordinary annual travel insurance,

clh53
1st October 2007, 12:21
There was a thread on here for an insurance company that insured the xl deal tokens. anyone have any info as i can't find it. thanks

minniem
1st October 2007, 12:27
I booked with travelinsuranceweb. They cover cc vouchers. Go through quidco though for money back.

clh53
1st October 2007, 13:24
thanks minniem, i'll leave a rep:)

joaniemerc
1st October 2007, 15:30
This just reminded me that I need to look at insurance for a December holiday - I don't needs deals cover for this one, but will possibly need it for the following one, maybe May 2008 (I'm buying an annual policy).

Just noticed on the travelinsuranceweb policy:

No cover for watches, jewellery and credit cards.

Won't be purchasing this policy personally, but thought I would let others know.
J

marie
11th October 2007, 14:20
I arranged my travel insurance this morning for a holiday next month, and asked him about my short break, booked through Tesco vouchers, and he said they don't cover for holidays booked with Tesco vouchers...I don't think many companies do actually. But do you know anyone who does, its only a 3 day break.:)

missfendi
11th October 2007, 14:40
I arranged my travel insurance this morning for a holiday next month, and asked him about my short break, booked through Tesco vouchers, and he said they don't cover for holidays booked with Tesco vouchers...I don't think many companies do actually. But do you know anyone who does, its only a 3 day break.:)

Yes, tesco insurance does short breaks and covers your vouchers

s879
13th October 2007, 21:29
Are there any current bonus points deal with Tesco's travel insurance? I will genuinely be needing some insurance for my holiday in november. I remember someone mentioning another company as well that covers the loss of clubcard vouchers. Link to the thread or some help would be greatly appreciated.

tikal73
13th October 2007, 21:32
Someone else on here a while back recommended.........
travelinsuranceweb

They're on quidco
and they are soooo cheap (apparently).

I kept a note of them to use in future.....

s879
13th October 2007, 21:37
Someone else on here a while back recommended.........
travelinsuranceweb

They're on quidco
and they are soooo cheap (apparently).

I kept a note of them to use in future.....

Thanks. Will give it a go. Have repped you.

Also, with reference to Tesco travel insurance, does anyone know which particular policy covers the loss of clubcard vouchers? Or do all of those cover?

tyroleandancer
13th October 2007, 21:39
check this out
http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14277&highlight=travel+insurance

tyroleandancer
13th October 2007, 21:40
also this
http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14699&highlight=travel+insurance

s879
13th October 2007, 21:53
Thanks. have repped you as well. Very useful threads. I have read them but am still confused as to who to go with - Tesco or travelinsuranceweb. My holiday is 80% paid by clubcard vouchers.

tyroleandancer
13th October 2007, 21:54
Thanks. have repped you as well. Very useful threads. I have read them but am still confused as to who to go with - Tesco or travelinsuranceweb. My holiday is 80% paid by clubcard vouchers.

I can't help you on that, sorry.

Try putting travel insurance in the search box, top right ans see what comes up :)

clh53
14th October 2007, 10:54
which as one of it's 'perks' offers free travel insurance...when i booked my 2 weeks in florida, with virgin, i phoned them to ask, 'am i covered' they replied that yes i was!

weather of not if it came to it, it would be honoured, i don't know

hope this has helped
xx
i was an advantage gold member when i had to claim on the insurance. i had to send in the credit card statement that showed the payment of the holiday as it is only covered when it is payed by their natwest visa or mastercard.

ninja_ang
14th October 2007, 11:01
The "event" insurance with tesco is a lot more expensive, I called and got a quote for a deals holiday and it cost about ?50 more than the one you could buy instore!
xxx

Irishsmurfy
14th October 2007, 12:14
i was an advantage gold member when i had to claim on the insurance. i had to send in the credit card statement that showed the payment of the holiday as it is only covered when it is payed by their natwest visa or mastercard.

The entire holiday does not have to be paid using the Natwest credit card. Just ?100 or more will ensure that the insurance kicks in. I am an advantage gold member of Natwest only because of their travel insurance. My DH is diabetic and travel insurance is expensive for him, but Natwest policy covers him for free!!!!! So the monthy fee is actually less than it would cost us to insure him with a different insurance provider.

clh53
14th October 2007, 12:32
The entire holiday does not have to be paid using the Natwest credit card. Just ?100 or more will ensure that the insurance kicks in. I am an advantage gold member of Natwest only because of their travel insurance. My DH is diabetic and travel insurance is expensive for him, but Natwest policy covers him for free!!!!! So the monthy fee is actually less than it would cost us to insure him with a different insurance provider.

thanks, thats good to know, i thought it was the whole holiday. do you know if the remainder on clubcard would be covered? i'll bear in mind when my annual insurance needs renewing.

la60
14th October 2007, 20:32

We used to deal with Natwest and you used to have to pay all on card - this was probably 8-10 years ago and changed underwriters since then.

With respect to Diabetes - depending on a few factors Diabetes doesnt generally generate a large additional premium - few higher risk factors are insulin dependant rather than diet controlled? age - older is higher? how many hospitalisations - Any complications? If you can answer these sort of Q's positively im sure you would get annual insurance a lot cheaper than the ?192 you pay for the advantage account.

Cheers

LA

missfendi
15th October 2007, 13:16
thanks, thats good to know, i thought it was the whole holiday. do you know if the remainder on clubcard would be covered? i'll bear in mind when my annual insurance needs renewing.

Summize pls:D

Does that mean that Advantage Natwest free insurance does not cover a holiday paid thru deals?

And

if one wanted to buy a tesco travel insurance policy to cover deals holiday, it does not cover it?:help:

My hubby has the Natwest upgraded account and gets free insurance (so i think i am covered if we book through deals)?

maleficent_mum
15th October 2007, 22:31
Sorry to bring this up again, but are we decided then that if the confirmation invoice, (in my case from Leger), just says less amounts paid, no mention of deals, any insurance will cover it.

Can I also double check, it's only holiday cancellation that might be affected by payment with deals, all the other insurance benefits would stand regardless of how the holiday was paid for.

Thanks in advance. :)

Nana
16th October 2007, 10:17
Sorry to bring this up again, but are we decided then that if the confirmation invoice, (in my case from Leger), just says less amounts paid, no mention of deals, any insurance will cover it.

Can I also double check, it's only holiday cancellation that might be affected by payment with deals, all the other insurance benefits would stand regardless of how the holiday was paid for.

Thanks in advance. :)

That is exactly how I see it.

There is of however a risk with the first point that the insurer may contact the tour operator to see if any vouchers were used but if they only look at our invoices we are OK.

The second point - Yes it is only the cancellation insurance that would be affected.

:plane:

la60
16th October 2007, 22:12
Due to the data protection act the insurers are unable to contact the tour operators - They will ask you as policyholder to obtain any info they need:)

la60
16th October 2007, 22:18
Im not a member of the Advantage 'Club' but from what Irishmurphy said above ?100 of the holiday cost has to be put on the advantage card - So you cant pay all in deals

With respect to the Tesco travel insurance - Some people have reported that they have been told it WILL cover deals holidays - Some people have reported that it WONT cover them - So your guess is as good as mine :(

LA

maleficent_mum
16th October 2007, 22:21
I don't know whether I'm just being paranoid but I'm thinking I'd prefer to avoid Tesco's own insurance, just in case there's a way of them finding out I've used deals from 4 different accounts.

and if it is just the cancellation cover that's affected -worse case scenario, at least it won't be my money I'm losing.

la60
16th October 2007, 22:26
Tesco insurance isnt dealt with by tesco themselves - Its outsourced to a insurance company called UK Insurance - So when dealing with them your not actually dealing with real Tesco people

So yes you are being paranoid - But aint we all to some degree:D Its this wonderful world of points that does it to us!!

Clowance
24th October 2007, 11:10
re tesco bog standard insurance: we had to cancel a holiday at the last minute in April 2006 as my little boy was in hospital for an emergency op: we had tesco travel insurance and had paid with deals vouchers (bridge travel). We got forms filled in by the consultant etc and got a refund cheque of ACTUAL MONEY of the amount the holiday cost (ie 4 times the clubcard voucher face value). I don't however know if this is standard or if they made a mistake, I certainly wasn't about to query it. Later that year we booked a completely different independant holiday. And I bought tescos insurance as I was grateful to them. HTH

Nana
24th October 2007, 11:32
re tesco bog standard insurance: we had to cancel a holiday at the last minute in April 2006 as my little boy was in hospital for an emergency op: we had tesco travel insurance and had paid with deals vouchers (bridge travel). We got forms filled in by the consultant etc and got a refund cheque of ACTUAL MONEY of the amount the holiday cost (ie 4 times the clubcard voucher face value). I don't however know if this is standard or if they made a mistake, I certainly wasn't about to query it. Later that year we booked a completely different independant holiday. And I bought tescos insurance as I was grateful to them. HTH

Thats brilliant - the best possible outcome :clap2::clap2:
Hope it works out like this if we ever need to cancel.

tikal73
29th October 2007, 21:32
Wondered if anyone had used an insurer (other than Tesco) who clarified b4 taking out policy that they would honour deals tokens if hol cancelled?
I'm struggling to know who to book with. I have e-mailed travelinsuranceweb twice now (who were recommended), but still no response.

zoot
29th October 2007, 21:37
When you book with Haven and Butlins they always try to get you to take out their own insurance for an extra premium but that DOES NOT cover you for your tesco deals payments. Last time I booked at Butlins the guy tried to sell me the insurance and when I said does that cover me if I have paid in deals he paused and said no it does not.
So even though they know you are not covered they may still try to get you to buy it!

tikal73
29th October 2007, 21:42
Yeah, I booked with French life and they automatically add the insurance premium onto the invoice!! This is despite me saying I didn't want it. Apparently I have to provide proof of alternative inurance within 14 days of booking for them to deduct it! Rip off or what. I can get same cover on line for ?25, they are charging ?78

taffy2
30th October 2007, 15:52
Just tried to phone Tesco Insurance to check if my Worldwide Annual policy covers my holiday with deals, but the answer phone said through Emergency the building has been Evacuated, they had the time to switch the Answer Machine message. :clap2: